OT: A memoir about a Cal friendship

3,159 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 11 mo ago by pingpong2
okaydo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
In 1995, Hua Hsu, an introvert, moved into Unit 3 at UC Berkeley and became fast friends with dormmate Ken, an extroverted popular frat guy.

Hsu, now a staff writer at The New Yorker and professor of English at Bard College, focuses on their friendship in his memoir Stay True, which has been named one of the best books of 2022 by The New York Times, The Washington Post, Time magazine, The Atlantic and other publications.

In July 1998, as Hua and Ken were heading into their senior year, Ken threw a housewarming party for his new apartment at Fulton and Channing Way. He disappeared from the party at 3:30 am. Hours later, Ken was discovered dead, face down in an alleyway in Vallejo with a bullet in the back of his head with no ID.

Ken was 20.

A couple (and third person) were later arrested.

bearister
Horribly tragic story with regard to Ken. His tragic end brought to mind the memory of this horrible case:

Plea for Forgiveness in Murder Trial

https://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Plea-for-Forgiveness-in-Murder-Trial-2994076.php

UC Student's Killer Gets Life Without Parole

https://www.sfgate.com/news/article/UC-Student-s-Killer-Gets-Life-Without-Parole-2985069.php

Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
BearGoggles
okaydo said:

In 1995, Hua Hsu, an introvert, moved into Unit 3 at UC Berkeley and became fast friends with dormmate Ken, an extroverted popular frat guy.

Hsu, now a staff writer at The New Yorker and professor of English at Bard College, focuses on their friendship in his memoir Stay True, which has been named one of the best books of 2022 by The New York Times, The Washington Post, Time magazine, The Atlantic and other publications.

In July 1998, as Hua and Ken were heading into their senior year, Ken threw a housewarming party for his new apartment at Fulton and Channing Way. He disappeared from the party at 3:30 am. Hours later, Ken was discovered dead, face down in an alleyway in Vallejo with a bullet in the back of his head with no ID.

Ken was 20.

A couple (and third person) were later arrested.

For those who haven't read the book, here is a long article with an excerpt from the book that is interesting and well written.

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2022/08/22/my-dad-and-kurt-cobain
bearister
If they killed him in Berkeley today, or anywhere else in Alameda County…probation and a diversion program.
okaydo
bearister said:

If they killed him in Berkeley today…probation and a diversion program.

I know what you're getting at. But dude shot him twice in the back of the head. Got life in prison. The girlfriend who didn't fire the gun served 22 years.
bearister
Triple murderers getting deals around these parts now. Just saying.*

Journalist and Cal Bear, Emilie Raguso, of The Berkeley Scanner is the expert on the subject.
bearister
okaydo said:

bearister said:

I know what you're getting at. But dude shot him twice in the back of the head. Got life in prison. The girlfriend who didn't fire the gun served 22 years.

bearister
okaydo said:

bearister said:

A Cal Bear interviews a Cal Bear:

Alameda County DA's office sees resignations over ethical qualms

https://www.berkeleyscanner.com/2023/03/22/courts/alameda-county-district-attorney-pamela-price-prosecutors-resigns-ethical-reasons/

" Earlier this month, Price put in place a directive that effectively required bare-bones charging and probation offers in most cases whether a defendant inflicted serious injury, had a serious criminal history or used a gun during the commission of a crime other than murder.
Since issuing that directive, the Price administration has "expressly told DAs not to be honest" about charging and sentencing decisions when they explain them to victims and their families, Weissenbach said.

… The Scanner has repeatedly asked to interview Price about her vision and goals, but those requests have not been granted.
Price's office has indicated that it does not like The Scanner's reporting on its operations but has never cited errors in the articles or requested any corrections."
Oakbear
sort of similar? In sept 1959, a classmate of mine who was to enroll at Cal was working in a LIvermore gas station, a guy robbed it, kidnapped Larry Waters and then took up to the Sierras and shot him .. he got the death penalty ..I am pretty damn liberal, but felt that was justified .. 64 years ago and I still think about it regularly .. Larry was a very decent guy
bearister
bearister said:

okaydo said:

bearister said:

A Cal Bear interviews a Cal Bear:

Alameda County DA's office sees resignations over ethical qualms

https://www.berkeleyscanner.com/2023/03/22/courts/alameda-county-district-attorney-pamela-price-prosecutors-resigns-ethical-reasons/

" Earlier this month, Price put in place a directive that effectively required bare-bones charging and probation offers in most cases whether a defendant inflicted serious injury, had a serious criminal history or used a gun during the commission of a crime other than murder.
Since issuing that directive, the Price administration has "expressly told DAs not to be honest" about charging and sentencing decisions when they explain them to victims and their families, Weissenbach said.

… The Scanner has repeatedly asked to interview Price about her vision and goals, but those requests have not been granted.
Price's office has indicated that it does not like The Scanner's reporting on its operations but has never cited errors in the articles or requested any corrections."

Judge rejects 15-year plea deal in case alleging 3 murders

https://www.berkeleyscanner.com/2023/03/23/courts/judge-rejects-15-year-plea-deal-logwood-alameda-county-pamela-price/
okaydo
75bear
Congrats to Hua Hsu!

I read the memoir a few weeks ago and highly recommend it. I lived in the same dorm as Hua, but a few years apart, so all of the descriptions of the era rang true for me. I'm happy Hua is getting some well deserved recognition.
BearBoarBlarney
And for all the modern day Cal scholars, this was what a student ID card looked like at Cal in the late-'80s thru late-'90s, although I don't think my 1989 card had a walking bear in the background. I can't recall if the sticker was added to indicate academic semester or if it was for AC Transit.

okaydo
BearBoarBlarney said:

And for all the modern day Cal scholars, this was what a student ID card looked like at Cal in the late-'80s thru late-'90s, although I don't think my 1989 card had a walking bear in the background. I can't recall if the sticker was added to indicate academic semester or if it was for AC Transit.

Hua enrolled at Cal in fall 1995, which was the last year for that card.

I enrolled at Cal in fall 1996 and got the new card (below), which they used throughout the 2000s. (Do they still use it?)

When I was a student, you could tell how old somebody was based on their Cal card.

75bear
The sticker wasn't for AC Transit. I can't exactly remember, but I think it was for Fall (football) and Spring (basketball) admittance, along with using a ticket? Is that right?
grrrrah
Yes, those stickers were for admission to games. I recall forging them freehand on cut up candy or powerbar wrappers at the end of the 80s.
pingpong2
okaydo said:

BearBoarBlarney said:

Hua enrolled at Cal in fall 1995, which was the last year for that card.

I enrolled at Cal in fall 1996 and got the new card (below), which they used throughout the 2000s. (Do they still use it?)

When I was a student, you could tell how old somebody was based on their Cal card.

They have a new design that you can opt for, or you can stick with the old design if you want.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.