Story Poster
Photo by Twitter / David Bird
Cal Football

Bears Add Nation's Top Long Snapper in David Bird

February 1, 2023

Consistently rated as the nation's top long snapper by Kohl's Kicking and various combines, Arizona LS David Bird‍ will be joining the Cal program this fall

“David has been our #1-ranked long snapper for as long as I can remember,” Kohl’s Snapping Coach Casey Casper, part of nationally-renowned Kohl’s Kicking, who usually work with many of the best kickers, punters and long snappers in the country. “Just playing well above his years in comparison with accuracy, velocity and just overall consistency. David has far and away established himself as the number one kid in the country at every camp he attends. I don’t remember any camp he has had the number one chart in any camp he’s performed in and multiple points above everyone else’s scores.

“They always say if you have a punt blocked, there’s a 90% chance you’ll lose the game and your kicker is often one of your top scorers every year so you’re snapper is involved in some of the most crucial pieces of what you’re doing overall. People don’t often know how important it is to be precise and consistent with your snapping. A bad snap often turns into a bad kick or punt. That initial piece of that process is crucial.

“On top of that, he’s just a good kid who works his tail off. He works with Ben Bernard who’s had dozens of guys scholarships. Those guys work at least an hour a day every day and if they don’t show up, they get kicked out. Same if they don’t have good grades. There’s a bunch of pro guys who go there who snap, too, to help or to try and make the NFL again. They’ll be 30-40 kids out there every night.

“Another thing that separates David is he’s an extremely good athlete. That’s the only way guys get scholarships these days. They have to not only be one of the best athletes at their position in the class but one of the best athletes on the field..”

Bird is fired up to be able to were the blue gold next fall.

“Cal feels like a super welcoming program and Coach Barton is awesome,” Bird said. “I could definitely see myself playing for him. Coach Wilcox is nice and seems like a great guy.

“Academics were a huge part of my decision. Berkeley is a great school and a cool city. Above all that, I train with Slater Zellers and (former Cal long snapper) Nick Sundberg, who both went to Cal. It was a cool situation training with two alumni and I felt like I was becoming part of a legacy there.” 

Other stories:

Bears Add More Size and Athleticism With WR Commit Montgomery

Bears Add All-Conference East LA CC OT Martin Tine

Discussion from...

Bears Add Nation's Top Long Snapper in David Bird

4,371 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by cal83dls79
GoBears89
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Long-snapper U
BearBones
Long snapper is an important, often under-appreciated position on a football team, and David Bird is coming to Cal with excellent credentials. Welcome to the Cal football team David!
dimitrig

"Academics were a huge part of my decision. Berkeley is a great school and a cool city."

Yes, it is. You will enjoy it! Welcome!

Bearly Clad
David Binn, L.P. Ladouceur, Nick Sundberg, and now David Bird will join that list. Binn and Lad are two of the longest tenured players in NFL history too.

Welcome to the Cal family David, good to know that an important position like longsnapper is in good hands for the next handful of years with an elite player like you and I can't wait to see some blowup hits on punt returners. Congratulations to you and your family on a great day, a life-changing choice, and you tell the whole damn world, this is Bear Territory!
cal83dls79
dimitrig said:

"Academics were a huge part of my decision. Berkeley is a great school and a cool city."

Yes, it is. You will enjoy it! Welcome!

for all you marketing and branding whizzes, note his reference to "Berkeley". Great addition.
Priest of the Patty Hearst Shrine
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.