OT: Another Cal L at People's Park

9,066 Views | 74 Replies | Last: 7 mo ago by Chabbear
eastcoastcal
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2023-02-24/court-ruling-halts-uc-berkeley-from-building-student-housing-at-peoples-park

Think this will ever get built?
Golden One
eastcoastcal said:

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2023-02-24/court-ruling-halts-uc-berkeley-from-building-student-housing-at-peoples-park

Think this will ever get built?
No.
Econ141
Losing is what Cal does... We are our biggest enemy.
Sebastabear
This was expected. Was pretty clear these nutty judges were going to make new law. Idea was to get this ruling quickly so we could get it to the Supreme Court or, if that doesn't work, the legislature to fix. Because this has to be fixed. The idea that students are essentially "pollution" under CEQA is bonkers and would create an entirely new way for NIMBY's to block everything across the entire state.

And as to the idea that student "noise" from (I guess) being alive would be worse than the "noise" of running an open air drug market where people are stabbed and assaulted on a regular basis is cuckoo for cocoa puffs. I suspect the legislature would love the opportunity to overturn this ruling..
oski003
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mercurynews.com/2023/02/24/appeals-court-blocks-controversial-uc-berkeley-student-housing-proposal-at-peoples-park/amp/

In a unanimous 3-0 decision, First District Appellate Court Justices found the EIR "inadequately analyzed potential alternatives to Housing Project No. 2 and impacts from noise and displacement." In a rarity for an appeals court ruling, the 47-page decision also attempts to quell any public outrage that might result.

"The EIR failed to justify the decision not to consider alternative locations to the People's Park project," the judges wrote. "In addition, it failed to assess potential noise impacts from loud student parties in residential neighborhoods near the campus, a longstanding problem that the EIR improperly dismissed as speculative."

The appellate court decision notes that UC Berkeley provides housing for less than a quarter of its student body, "by far the lowest percentage in the UC system."
okaydo
Lol. I can't believe that anybody would expect any other outcome.

While I support the plan, People's Park is sacred ground. It's like the Western Wall in Jerusalem.

socaliganbear
Econ141 said:

Who is "we" here?
socaliganbear
tequila4kapp
okaydo said:

While I support the plan, People's Park is sacred ground. It's like the Western Wall in Jerusalem.
Not even remotely close to the same thing for some of us.
operbear
Some view. it as a desecration. I do.
Operbear
socaliganbear
operbear said:

To the drugs and homelessness?
southseasbear
operbear said:

Not sure whether you mean that People's Park or the intent to develop it is the "desecration." For me, it's the former.

I'm sorry that:
  • the university tore down the homes before it was ready to develop the property,
  • the students chose to occupy it (illegally),
  • the university overreacted to what was likely to be a temporary occupation (as students wanted residence halls and recreation facilities), and
  • one person was killed and another blinded.

It was a s**t storm, but it is the university's property and there are needs for student housing as well as athletic and recreational facilities.
Fire Knowlton!
Fire Fox!
Put Wilcox in a hot seat!
DiabloWags
Its been a "dump" since I lived in Ehrman Hall overlooking it in 1980. It does not serve the needs of the community ... unless you believe those "needs" are an open drug market where people are assaulted and stabbed on a regular basis.

"Cults don't end well. They really don't."
NVBear78
The single party system in CA continues to let land use be dictated by kooks and courts causing endless delays for property owners. Hope Sebasta is right that the State Supreme Court is rational enough to overturn the lower court and/or that there are enough sensible people in the Legislature to change the rules.
socaliganbear
NVBear78 said:

The single party system in CA continues to let land use be dictated by cooks and courts causing endless delays for property owners. Hope Sebasta is right that the State Supreme Court is rational enough to overturn the lower court and/or that there are enough sensible people in the Legislature to change the rules.

NIMBYSM in CA the great political unifier.
PaulCali
DiabloWags said:

Its been a "dump" since I lived in Ehrman Hall overlooking it in 1980. It does not serve the needs of the community ... unless you believe those "needs" are an open drug market where people are assaulted and stabbed on a regular basis.

Yes. It's neither a park nor for the people. Never has been.

It should always be "People's Park" and not People's Park, with the quotation marks to signify that it's neither a park nor for the people.
Sebastabear
okaydo said:

Lol. I can't believe that anybody would expect any other outcome.

If the Western Wall was a cross between Haight Ashbury circa 1969 and the set of The Last of Us then yeah I agree. But it's not.

If these judges want to be legislators then I suggest they head down to the court house (they should know where that is) and file their papers to run for office. But they don't have the power to make up new laws which is exactly what they've done here.

And even if they did have the power, deciding students are pollution under CEQA is so stupid it bogggles the mind. Of course the real cherry on top are simultaneously making the observations that Cal should have "considered other sites" (which is a classic from the NIMBY playbook and, Hello? What other site exactly in one of the most densely populated cities in California, located a block from campus no less? ) and that Cal is bad because it "houses the the lowest percentage of its students of any UC". Do they realize these are diametrically opposite? I'm surprised their brains didn't start smoking like the computers from the original Star Trek show when they wrote this. "Everything I say is a lie. I am lying . . . "
philbert
Sebasta for governor! and Chancellor! and AD!
Cal88
socaliganbear said:

NVBear78 said:

The single party system in CA continues to let land use be dictated by cooks and courts causing endless delays for property owners. Hope Sebasta is right that the State Supreme Court is rational enough to overturn the lower court and/or that there are enough sensible people in the Legislature to change the rules.

In this case though, if you're a NIMBY living nearby, wouldn't you rather have a lot of nerdy students next block instead of dozens of homeless, junkies and drug pushers?

We'll probably have to wait until the Boomers indoctrinated into the 60s cult die out before this project ever gets started...
socaliganbear
Cal88 said:

socaliganbear said:

NVBear78 said:

In this case though, if you're a NIMBY living nearby, wouldn't you rather have a lot of nerdy students next block instead of dozens of homeless, junkies and drug pushers?

We'll probably have to wait until the Boomers indoctrinated into the 60s cult die out before this project ever gets started...

I agree that this case is a bit more unique. I would say that some of the local busybodies have a cultural axe to pick with the university and any of its plans.
BearSD
socaliganbear said:

This is correct.

The court's ruling is that bad actors can abuse CEQA, and prevent housing construction, by arguing that people are pollution and that some people are more polluting than others.

If the legislature allows this to stand, other bad actors in other parts of California will abuse CEQA by arguing that other groups of people (e.g., immigrants with large families and young children) are noxious polluters and thus housing should not be built if it will be occupied by "those people".

tequila4kapp
Cal88 said:

socaliganbear said:

NVBear78 said:

I don't really get how NIMBYism applies here. The area is surrounded by apartment buildings, churches and businesses, not single family homes. A student housing facility is fundamentally consistent with the nature of housing in the area.

Edit - I'm assuming it's still apartments, like it was when I lived in one 3 doors down from PP. I guess it could have changed but given general anti-development sentiment I'm assuming it's fundamentally unchanged.
socaliganbear
tequila4kapp said:

Cal88 said:

socaliganbear said:

NVBear78 said:

I don't really get how NIMBYism applies here. The area is surrounded by apartment buildings, not single family homes. A student housing facility is fundamentally consistent with the nature of housing in the area.

Edit - I'm assuming it's till apartments, like it was when I lived in one 3 doors down from PP. I guess it could have changed but given general anti-development sentiment I'm assuming it's fundamentally unchanged.

The folks behind the lawsuits are in the area. You don't have to live in a single family home to not want new development in your backyard.
calbear80
socaliganbear said:

Econ141 said:

Who is "we" here?

Knowlton?

Go Bears!
bearister
I'm bummed. I was just about to send in my application to become an Alumni Safety/Goodwill Ambassador at the proposed project. I was polishing a schtick to confuse psychopathic Berkeley free range citizenry from bashing in student resident's heads with rocks.

"Hey Fat Jesus over there, what do you call a cow that had an abortion?"
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
okaydo
tequila4kapp said:

Cal88 said:

socaliganbear said:

NVBear78 said:

I don't really get how NIMBYism applies here. The area is surrounded by apartment buildings, churches and businesses, not single family homes. A student housing facility is fundamentally consistent with the nature of housing in the area.

Edit - I'm assuming it's still apartments, like it was when I lived in one 3 doors down from PP. I guess it could have changed but given general anti-development sentiment I'm assuming it's fundamentally unchanged.

There are a lot of single family homes around Willard Park, which is just 2 blocks south of People's Park.

socaliganbear
Sebastabear
socaliganbear said:

I'm coming around to the view that these lunatic judges and these NIMBY whiners are doing us a solid. Letting their freak flag fly will do more for the cause of housing and CEQA reform in 50 days than we've been able to accomplish in 50 years. So good on ya!

Our understanding of what is an environmental hazard has evolved since 1970. But regardless of whether we are talking about then or now students are and never were "pollution." And building student housing in a University town is a social good.

Anyone who doesn't want to live near students shouldn't have bought a house within spitting distance of the flagship university of the largest state in the union.
ColoradoBear
On top of students not being pollution, building student housing close to campus is going to reduce pollution by allowing more students to live close by and not commute.
okaydo
Cal Strong!
Cal Strong strongly agrees with almost all the comments here. His only problem with the plan is it shouldn't include housing for the community and it should have another 5,000 beds. Build it to the sky.
GivemTheAxe
okaydo said:

Governor Newsom helped push through legislation last year that allows increased multifamily developments (which would include dormitories) all over the State of California.

The effectiveness of that legislation could all be stopped or severely delayed if this Appellate Court decision is not overruled.

If the CA Supreme Court doesn't overrule the "novel" and in my view unreasonable interpretation of CEQA I believe the GOV will force through an amendment to CEQA.
GivemTheAxe
Cal Strong! said:

Cal Strong strongly agrees with almost all the comments here. His only problem with the plan is it shouldn't include housing for the community and it should have another 5,000 beds. Build it to the sky.

Remember the practical building limitations imposed by the fact that the Hayward Fault is just a few blocks East of PP. building the dorm substantially higher gets very very expensive
bipolarbear
GivemTheAxe said:

Cal Strong! said:

Remember the practical building limitations imposed by the fact that the Hayward Fault is just a few blocks East of PP. building the dorm substantially higher gets very very expensive

Pretty sure he was being sarcastic about "building to the sky". But personally don't like the idea of housing vulnerable young students next to random homeless people. I mean - What could go wrong? Maybe if the homeless were carefully vetted families and single mothers.
socaliganbear
bipolarbear said:

GivemTheAxe said:

Cal Strong! said:

Pretty sure he was being sarcastic about "building to the sky". But personally don't like the idea of housing vulnerable young students next to random homeless people. I mean - What could go wrong? Maybe if the homeless were carefully vetted families and single mothers.

Not they I agree with it, but I think the plan was for a specific segment if formerly homeless like single moms or some such group.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.