Rugby today: #4 Cal vs. #1 Navy at Annapolis

2,758 Views | 28 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Cal88
chalcidbear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'm watching this matching via the Rugby Network. It looks cold there, and there is a stiff wind. The wind favored the Bears in the 1st half, the 2nd half is starting so the Bears will be at a disadvantage moving forward. Cal leads 14-12. Lineouts have been brutal for us (due to wind?) but our last line out used a short throw, and that worked. Mauls have favored Navy, while Navy's defense is good, so we haven't broken off any long runs yet. We had one man yellow-carded at the end of the first half, but we scored a try in spite of that. So, another 40 minutes to decide the match; will the wind be too much for us, or will our 2nd half condition help us?
TomBalk
thanks for posting this
chalcidbear
Well, this turned out to be an exciting game, although the result went against us. In the beginning of the 2nd half, Navy racked up 3 more tries, and went ahead 33-14. But then Cal came alive and made some major advances of their own, with at least three long runs down field. We notched another pair of tries and closed the score to 33-28. Cal then got the ball back with about 2 minutes to play and started to move again. The time ticked past the 80 minute mark, but in Rugby, play continues until a normal stoppage. So this was exciting plus, as if Cal could notch just one more try, a successful conversion kick would give us the W.

Alas, it was not to be, as Navy wrested the ball away from us and kicked it into touch, thus ending the game at 33-28. Definitely a battle of 2 titans - one of the most exciting games I've seen.
CALiforniALUM
My daughter and I drove the hour to see the game not really knowing the rules. It was a great time none the less. Quite a few bear fans in the stands. As described above it was a competitive game and if it wasn't for what looked like a poor pass that led to the game ending the Bears were marching. It was cold and windy by most standards but not much different than a Berkeley day with cold fog. We will get them next time. By the reaction of some Navy fans they really hold a lot of respect for Cal and the win was pretty sweet for them.
TomBear
It was a really sweet win for Navy. But well deserved. The Middies performed to expectations. Cal didn't. And even with all the errors and problems, Cal lost by one stinkin' try. A lot of heart and a lot of pride by both teams in this one. As Chalcid said, it was a great one to watch.

I think the game came down to two main things. Most significantly, as Chalcid pointed out, Cal got beat in the lineouts. They've had issues with lineouts this year. But it's particularly concerning with the lineouts are near your goal line and you have a team that executes the rolling maul as well as Navy does. They were simply magnificent in that area of the game.

Second, Cal hurt themselves with possession errors, particularly knock ons. This could have been due to a couple of things: wind, and (honestly) a bit of intimidation. The Navy backs came up fast, and hit as hard as Cal does. Prior to this match, Navy was performing at about a 95% efficiency rate on their tackles. I think they held that up today against a hard charging Cal team. Cal was efficient in tackles as well, but I don't think they were quite as high.....maybe 90%? And two tried came on pick and goes which really test the endurance and strength of a team. On one of those tries, I think our scrum half left a lane trying to prevent a possible pass outside to another inside player.

Remember the Bears had about a 6 hour flight, and were playing on East Coast time. These are not excuses, but they are factors that have to be taken into consideration when looking back at how they played.

And again, I point out they lost by one stinkin' score after rallying in late stages of the game. Both teams showed pride, and intensity. And I expect both teams to do well as they close out the regular season.

I would love to see Navy take the East and Cal take the West and face each other again for the National Championship. I believe it can happen. But Cal has to get by St. Marys in Moraga in two weeks, then BYU in Utah. Meanwhile, the Middies have Army and Penn State. So both teams will be tested before starting playoff competition.
CALiforniALUM
Thanks for the descriptions of what you saw. I'm still trying to figure out the terminology.

I can guess what the rolling maul is based on what I saw, but I am unsure what a knock out is. Is there an easy explanation?
DenBear
I'm at a loss for much of the terminology also. I found this dummy's description though:

Rugby terms for dummies
oursdor65
I don't know about the rest of you who watched, by my game feed died about 5 min into the first half. Couldn't get it back, so I watched the replay.
chalcidbear
Here are some terms:

In rugby, it is a penalty to advance the ball through contact with the arms or hands, either purposefully or accidentally. This penalty is called a "knock on", and results in the ball being awarded to the other team (it is perfectly OK to kick the ball forward at any time).

"Advantage" is where when team A has the ball and team B commits a penalty. The refs don't want to stop play as long as A is still moving the ball. BUT if team A loses the ball within a short time (I think 30 seconds, but am not sure) of the penalty, they ref awards the ball back to team A, as a delayed response to team B's penalty.

If a ballcarrier is grabbed by an opponent but doesn't go to ground, that's a "maul". Additional players from both sides can join in, as long as the come in from the rear, and try to push the ballcarrier one way of the other. I think a "rolling maul" is when the group of players really start to move long distances.

If the ball is on the ground, and players from both sides gather around it, they can try to kick the ball (in any desired direction) - that's a ruck.

When play is stopped because of a penalty or the ball goes into touch (= "out of bounds"), there's usually two set formations used to restart play. One is a scrum, which is sort of like a maul, except the team not committing the penalty get to throw the ball into the formation. There's lots of laws about the formation of the scrum and how it's conducted. Yhe team putting the ball in usually ends up with possession of it.

A lineout restarts play after the ball goes into touch. Again, the team putting the ball into play usually ends up with possession of the ball. The ball has to be thrown down the middle of the "tunnel" formed by the two sides, but you can lift your teammates to grab the ball when it's in the air.

Finally, when a player has the ball, all his teammates must be behind him in order to contribute to the game. If you are in front of a teammate with the ball, you are offside, and need to get behind him immediately. Being offside is not a penalty, UNLESS you interfere with play (so for example that means there is no blocking allowed).

Of course there's lots more to learn, but that should cover most terminology questions.
CALiforniALUM
DenBear said:

I'm at a loss for much of the terminology also. I found this dummy's description though:

Rugby terms for dummies

Thank you. If I only knew what I don't know.

The term knock on makes more sense now that I've read its meaning. As I recall a knock on occurred before the last scrum, which allowed Navy to kick the ball out of bounds to end the game.

Rushinbear
chalcidbear said:

Here are some terms:

In rugby, it is a penalty to advance the ball through contact with the arms or hands, either purposefully or accidentally. This penalty is called a "knock on", and results in the ball being awarded to the other team (it is perfectly OK to kick the ball forward at any time).

"Advantage" is where when team A has the ball and team B commits a penalty. The refs don't want to stop play as long as A is still moving the ball. BUT if team A loses the ball within a short time (I think 30 seconds, but am not sure) of the penalty, they ref awards the ball back to team A, as a delayed response to team B's penalty.

If a ballcarrier is grabbed by an opponent but doesn't go to ground, that's a "maul". Additional players from both sides can join in, as long as the come in from the rear, and try to push the ballcarrier one way of the other. I think a "rolling maul" is when the group of players really start to move long distances.

If the ball is on the ground, and players from both sides gather around it, they can try to kick the ball (in any desired direction) - that's a ruck.

When play is stopped because of a penalty or the ball goes into touch (= "out of bounds"), there's usually two set formations used to restart play. One is a scrum, which is sort of like a maul, except the team not committing the penalty get to throw the ball into the formation. There's lots of laws about the formation of the scrum and how it's conducted. Yhe team putting the ball in usually ends up with possession of it.

A lineout restarts play after the ball goes into touch. Again, the team putting the ball into play usually ends up with possession of the ball. The ball has to be thrown down the middle of the "tunnel" formed by the two sides, but you can lift your teammates to grab the ball when it's in the air.

Finally, when a player has the ball, all his teammates must be behind him in order to contribute to the game. If you are in front of a teammate with the ball, you are offside, and need to get behind him immediately. Being offside is not a penalty, UNLESS you interfere with play (so for example that means there is no blocking allowed).

Of course there's lots more to learn, but that should cover most terminology questions.
To learn rugby you must play rugby.
DenBear
Thanks much, chalcid
CALiforniALUM
Rushinbear said:

chalcidbear said:

Here are some terms:

That seems like a very limiting aspect if it ever wants to be considered a "real" sport.
chalcidbear
Rushinbear has a point. I have been following Cal Rugby for over 30 years, but there's a lot about the game I don't know. And I think that is because I've never played it. Besides watching the Bears, I've tried reading rule books, but the laws (rules) of the game do change over time, so it's tough to know which laws are still current. And besides the difference between the game with 15 players on a side and sevens (where there are 7 players on a side, and that's the version that'll be in the Olympics), there is also the difference between Rugby Union (15 players) and Rugby League (13 players).

So although I will continue to watch, enjoy, and report Cal Rugby, I try to include a disclaimer that I do not fully 100% understand what is going on on the pitch. Years ago I met with Coaches Clark and Billups to suggest that Rugby follow the lead of Football after the latter held a several-hour long "clinic" for fans that went behind the scenes and on the field, but that went no where (I think they thought I might have a pile of money to infuse into such an event - alas I did not).
Rushinbear
CALiforniALUM said:

Rushinbear said:

chalcidbear said:

Here are some terms:

That seems like a very limiting aspect if it ever wants to be considered a "real" sport.
I was speaking facetiously...sort of. If there's one rule that is most important to the flow of the game, it is off sides. And, if you understand off sides in soccer or hockey, you've got the idea for rugby, too.
CALiforniALUM
Rushinbear said:

CALiforniALUM said:

Rushinbear said:

chalcidbear said:

Here are some terms:

I was speaking facetiously...sort of. If there's one rule that is most important to the flow of the game, it is off sides. And, if you understand off sides in soccer or hockey, you've got the idea for rugby, too.
As was I...sort of. While I am sure I missed a whole bunch of details during the game, it was fun to watch. Those are some big boys and their speed is impressive.
TomBear
For many years, many Cal football players played rugby in the off-season for conditioning, continued tackling development, and (frankly) for fun. (Example: Jack Clark!) Rugby players get to tackle AND carry the ball offensively, and don't have to wear pads. What could be better?

If you can tackle in rugby without the protection of pads, you can absolutely tackle in football.

This is one reason why I always ask if Coach Clark is being consulted to help Cal football with tackling. Clark was an offensive tackle for Cal protecting Joe Roth while playing rugby in the off-season. Cal Rugby players seldom miss tackles, and if you watched the match, you will see the obvious, that they understand the concept of 1) Hit 2) wrap 3) drive 4) take down. And I'll add 5) Punish!!!

At some point, I'll probably leave Cal football behind. Costs, commercialization, NIL.....all have taken some of the joy of the game away from me. I've had season tickets for decades, and gone to games since 1955 (when I didn't even understand what I was watching, but liked seeing guys smashing into each other........a young boys dream). But football is not the same game now. Holding on every play, lack of sportsmanship, lack of respect for foes or the game itself, piss-poor tackling, pads now used as "weapons", trash-talk......... I get the pure game in rugby including the smashing into each other, but without pads, without the trash talking, and adding the respect for game, foes and fans.

Yikes, I got on a tangent there........ sorry. Anyone who loves football and hasn't seen a rugby game is really missing out. Rushinbear, your point about the size and speed of rugby players is valid. And you ought to see the international sides....most notably the All Blacks from New Zealand!!!

Rushinbear
TomBear said:

For many years, many Cal football players played rugby in the off-season for conditioning, continued tackling development, and (frankly) for fun. (Example: Jack Clark!) Rugby players get to tackle AND carry the ball offensively, and don't have to wear pads. What could be better?

If you can tackle in rugby without the protection of pads, you can absolutely tackle in football.

This is one reason why I always ask if Coach Clark is being consulted to help Cal football with tackling. Clark was an offensive tackle for Cal protecting Joe Roth while playing rugby in the off-season. Cal Rugby players seldom miss tackles, and if you watched the match, you will see the obvious, that they understand the concept of 1) Hit 2) wrap 3) drive 4) take down. And I'll add 5) Punish!!!

At some point, I'll probably leave Cal football behind. Costs, commercialization, NIL.....all have taken some of the joy of the game away from me. I've had season tickets for decades, and gone to games since 1955 (when I didn't even understand what I was watching, but liked seeing guys smashing into each other........a young boys dream). But football is not the same game now. Holding on every play, lack of sportsmanship, lack of respect for foes or the game itself, piss-poor tackling, pads now used as "weapons", trash-talk......... I get the pure game in rugby including the smashing into each other, but without pads, without the trash talking, and adding the respect for game, foes and fans.

Yikes, I got on a tangent there........ sorry. Anyone who loves football and hasn't seen a rugby game is really missing out. Rushinbear, your point about the size and speed of rugby players is valid. And you ought to see the international sides....most notably the All Blacks from New Zealand!!!

TomBear, your tangent is my main street. My favorite sport as a kid was sandlot tackle fb with no pads. I didn't find rugby till college when I met a Samoan rugby player. Then, 3 years as a Guano and 10 more for a club side in the east made me a believer. Freedom to express oneself. Fans who haven't played can't appreciate, I don't think, the amount of creativity on the fly. I meant it when I said that off-sides explains a lot, including the amount you can do when on-sides. The joy of running free and the passion of the hit. Nothing like it.
TomBear
And therein you have just some reasons why rugby is growing so fast, and so many h.s. football players are opting to leave football and go to rugby. It is very difficult to understand the passion for the game without having played it. But I liken it a little bit to how we played pick up football in the mud as kids, or capture the flag. It just has that joy to it.

I still love football, especially Cal football. i've pretty much left the nfl in my back mirror. But the reasons I left the nfl behind and clinged to college football are disappearing. Rugby still retains all the things I loved about h.s. and college football before, but lost.

BTW, Cal has this weekend off. Meanwhile St. Marys plays San Diego State (away). The Gaels should have little problem with the Aztecs leading up to the giant clash with the Bears in a week and a half. Meanwhile the Bears can certainly use the weekend to heal and put ice on a lot of black and blue on their bodies.

I've been trying to find the updated standings and been unable to do so. I'll be interested to see what the close loss to Navy does (if anything) to Cal's position nationally.
chalcidbear
Rushinbear reminds me of another reason I like rugby. The sport has the feel of a neighborhood game played when you were a kid. For example: when a ball goes into touch a ways down the field so there is almost nobody there. If just two players from the team putting the ball into play can get there before anyone else, they have the option of doing a quick lineout to restart the play. Also after some penalty restarts, a player may option to have someone kick the ball into touch ... or if the other team is out of position, to give a quick little kick of the ball to themself and start running. Also (and here is where my knowledge of the game fails me), if the ball lands in the in-goal area, players have the option of doing different things to restart play, but they have to make the choice quickly as the other team barrels down towards them. So it seems so much "freer" to me than football or baseball.
Cal88
Speaking of rugby games today, Ireland-England is on live RIGHT NOW on NBC.. Ireland, probably the best rugby team in the world right now, is playing for the Grand Slam, after sweeping the 4 other 6 Nations teams.
72CalBear
Thanks to you all for the reporting and insight! Go rugby Bears!!
UrsineMaximus
Soccer is a gentleman's game played by hooligans.

Rugby is a hooligan's game played by gentleman.
Rushinbear
chalcidbear said:

Rushinbear reminds me of another reason I like rugby. The sport has the feel of a neighborhood game played when you were a kid. For example: when a ball goes into touch a ways down the field so there is almost nobody there. If just two players from the team putting the ball into play can get there before anyone else, they have the option of doing a quick lineout to restart the play. Also after some penalty restarts, a player may option to have someone kick the ball into touch ... or if the other team is out of position, to give a quick little kick of the ball to themself and start running. Also (and here is where my knowledge of the game fails me), if the ball lands in the in-goal area, players have the option of doing different things to restart play, but they have to make the choice quickly as the other team barrels down towards them. So it seems so much "freer" to me than football or baseball.
Back Row, baby! This is what I'm talkin' about.

[url=https://www.facebook.com/hashtag/guinnesssixnations?__eep__=6&__cft__[0]=AZX1k1Xi34Bu_puUPWL7N9kCwgojQehJTWQcXKpdyHB0gJB_7s3pp8_ZHpj8cwCy4X-8Oi_ZOG3WSPJEZ3uP-kBhwPW5tSSmDpbyX_Q0SgXXlkytyrFRKyhldiZdjiiZDBtKGD8iSuCdummYf_tKzOFIhUEgRLC2C8y4kTsoTD7KCUms-KYTIl_YSXSib1q80f6UEJd3RuLE1n2Y9H39hero9RHR9NkjJ8DZoHEJ7JmVVw&__tn__=*NK-y-R]https://www.facebook.com/hashtag/guinnesssixnations?__eep__=6&__cft__[0]=AZX1k1Xi34Bu_puUPWL7N9kCwgojQehJTWQcXKpdyHB0gJB_7s3pp8_ZHpj8cwCy4X-8Oi_ZOG3WSPJEZ3uP-kBhwPW5tSSmDpbyX_Q0SgXXlkytyrFRKyhldiZdjiiZDBtKGD8iSuCdummYf_tKzOFIhUEgRLC2C8y4kTsoTD7KCUms-KYTIl_YSXSib1q80f6UEJd3RuLE1n2Y9H39hero9RHR9NkjJ8DZoHEJ7JmVVw&__tn__=*NK-y-R[/url]
cal83dls79
DenBear said:

Rugby terms for dummies
thank you for this, I do enjoy the game but clueless about the nuances. Took an Irish guy (Cal grad student) to cal football games for years and walked him thru the details and rules. It actually made you think.
Priest of the Patty Hearst Shrine
Rushinbear
cal83dls79 said:

DenBear said:

Rugby terms for dummies
thank you for this, I do enjoy the game but clueless about the nuances. Took an Irish guy (Cal grad student) to cal football games for years and walked him thru the details and rules. It actually made you think.
This started with a "Wheel" maneuver by the scrum. They pushed harder on the right side so that the scrum moved in a counter-clockwise direction. That put the opponents away from the short side of the field (away from the sideline) - this meant that their forwards would not be able to get to the backs on that side.

Then, the Back Row (also called the Last Man Down) stepped back from the scrum, doing two things. 1. He was freed up to attack ("Attacking Forwards style of play), and 2. It put him ON-SIDES (behind the ball). So, when the ball was healed back and out of the scrum, he could pick it up and run with it.

There being no opposing forwards on that side to tackle him, the BR had a size advantage running FREE. And, he was FREE to keep running or lateral it back, which he did...to a back (a faster guy).

The back then avoided contact by kicking the ball on the run, over his opposite, where he could caatch it again and run it in...he being ON-SIDE when he kicked it.

There is a lot of creativity in this play. A beauty.
cal83dls79
Rushinbear said:

cal83dls79 said:

DenBear said:

Rugby terms for dummies
This started with a "Wheel" maneuver by the scrum. They pushed harder on the right side so that the scrum moved in a counter-clockwise direction. That put the opponents away from the short side of the field (away from the sideline) - this meant that their forwards would not be able to get to the backs on that side.

Then, the Back Row (also called the Last Man Down) stepped back from the scrum, doing two things. 1. He was freed up to attack ("Attacking Forwards style of play), and 2. It put him ON-SIDES (behind the ball). So, when the ball was healed back and out of the scrum, he could pick it up and run with it.

There being no opposing forwards on that side to tackle him, the BR had a size advantage running FREE. And, he was FREE to keep running or lateral it back, which he did...to a back (a faster guy).

The back then avoided contact by kicking the ball on the run, over his opposite, where he could caatch it again and run it in...he being ON-SIDE when he kicked it.

I have the distinct feeling you are f'ng with me now. Lol
BTW, Clark spoke at my Mother In Law's wake. Shared a few drinks. What a pillar, leader.
Priest of the Patty Hearst Shrine
Rushinbear
cal83dls79 said:

Rushinbear said:

cal83dls79 said:

DenBear said:

Rugby terms for dummies

I have the distinct feeling you are f'ng with me now. Lol
BTW, Clark spoke at my Mother In Law's wake. Shared a few drinks. What a pillar, leader.
Some people seemed interested in knowing more about how the game works. I happened to see this video and thought it would be a good example of the freedom and creativity in it.
Cal88
Rushinbear said:

chalcidbear said:

Back Row, baby! This is what I'm talkin' about.

https://www.facebook.com/hashtag/guinnesssixnations?__eep__=6&__cft__[0]=AZX1k1Xi34Bu_puUPWL7N9kCwgojQehJTWQcXKpdyHB0gJB_7s3pp8_ZHpj8cwCy4X-8Oi_ZOG3WSPJEZ3uP-kBhwPW5tSSmDpbyX_Q0SgXXlkytyrFRKyhldiZdjiiZDBtKGD8iSuCdummYf_tKzOFIhUEgRLC2C8y4kTsoTD7KCUms-KYTIl_YSXSib1q80f6UEJd3RuLE1n2Y9H39hero9RHR9NkjJ8DZoHEJ7JmVVw&__tn__=*NK-y-R

https://www.facebook.com/hashtag/guinnesssixnations?__eep__=6&__cft__[0]=AZX1k1Xi34Bu_puUPWL7N9kCwgojQehJTWQcXKpdyHB0gJB_7s3pp8_ZHpj8cwCy4X-8Oi_ZOG3WSPJEZ3uP-kBhwPW5tSSmDpbyX_Q0SgXXlkytyrFRKyhldiZdjiiZDBtKGD8iSuCdummYf_tKzOFIhUEgRLC2C8y4kTsoTD7KCUms-KYTIl_YSXSib1q80f6UEJd3RuLE1n2Y9H39hero9RHR9NkjJ8DZoHEJ7JmVVw&__tn__=*NK-y-R

Nice highlights.

This is the best game I've seen in a while, earlier last month, it doesn't get better than this, right up there with some of the best games I've seen since the 1970s:

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.