Because Stanford getting a black eye always belongs on a Cal football message board

5,969 Views | 65 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by tequila4kapp
edwinbear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://freebeacon.com/campus/student-activists-target-stanford-law-school-dean-in-revolt-over-her-apology/
tequila4kapp
Imbecile children.
NVBear78
God help us if those Stanfurd law students ever become lawyers or judges. They are straight out of the Cultural Revolution.
Calcupcakes
Everything about that place is evil. Everything.

All furd lawyers I've run across are jerks or idiots. All of them.
TomBear
Some consequences should take place. But I'm pretty certain they won't.
LABear98
Unbelievable. I graduated from Rutgers law school in 2004. That was not a conservative-leaning campus by any stretch of the imagination, but I don't think any of us would have dreamed of doing something like that to a speaker or to a dean afterwards. It's basically weak. It shows that none of those students have what it takes to be an attorney, except for maybe being someone's research assistant.

If those students were worth anything, they would have let Judge Duncan speak, and then torn him apart afterwards. How? By citing his arguments from various opinions of his, pointing out inconsistencies, flawed reasoning, etc. That would have been far more powerful and might have actually changed his mind going forward. In short, they would have become the catalysts for the change they were looking for...rather than coming off like spoiled children. Oh well, Stanfurd's going to be Stanfurd.
Oakbear
every time I see this type of post it reminds me of when I was at Cal, about 1960

we had a guy from the John Birch Society that wanted to talk to us

we listened then laughed and basically tore him a new one

BUT WE LISTENED
Big C
Oakbear said:

every time I see this type of post it reminds me of when I was at Cal, about 1960

we had a guy from the John Birch Society that wanted to talk to us

we listened then laughed and basically tore him a new one

BUT WE LISTENED

That's the way to do it! Honestly, I can't figure out some of these people...
wifeisafurd
It was a set-up.. The Diversity Asst. Dean was reading from prepared notes. Apparently the next day the students dressed in black with masks on and stood outside the law school trying to intimidate the students going in by yelling threats, in an effort to close the school. They might as well be wearing brown shirts with the way they are acting.

Private schools are beholden to their donors. I suspect repercussions. State schools should not, but also are subject to outside influence. An interesting parallel is when the Dean of the UCLA law school (who was a Furdie) was pushed out by UCLA donors for making what today would be fairly welcomed comments on critical race theory and other controversial topics.

Anarchistbear
Publish their names. Their lawyering aspirations will be over or they all wind up public defenders in Stockton. Win, win
bearister
Cicero Grimes and Jennifer Connelly (at least the "before" one) are the only two good Furdites.
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
Cal Strong!
Cal Strong appreciate the rivalry, but he feel that it may have run its course. It probably time now to simply invade their campus and tear it down brick by brick. We no need them to exist anymore.

The stanfurd professors who know how to read can be paroled to Cal State East Bay.

If they have any literate students, they can be paroled to Folsom prison.

The illiterates can be sent to USC.
TomBear
Nice Job, Cal Strong. One of the most enjoyable comments I've read in some time!

95bears
This isn't just Stanford. Privileged rich and upper-middle-class kids who have lived a cushy life of grade inflation, zero adversity and free trophies are going to pervade and rule our society in the next 20 years.
GameDay
Meh. This kind of controversy is going on everywhere. Some students think the better approach is to "refuse" to hear what they perceive as hateful, insulting, etc. speech by shouting it down. Others go for the more conventional view: Listen and then repudiate. Every (law) school has a mix of the two approaches. Not much to see here really. (Also, it has to be noted that Terien Steinbach - Stanfurd Law's "dean of diversity, equity, and inclusion" -- is a Berkeley Law grad and long time head of the legal clinic connected to the law school.) Plus, though I don't know what the true facts are, the Washington Free Beacon ("Covering The Enemies of Freedom The Way The Mainstream Media Won't") is hardly a neutral source of information so there may well be some bias at play here.

Now if you want some REAL recent dirt on Stanfurd, check out these stories - all within the last 30 days:

"Stanford employee arrested after allegedly lying about being raped twice on campus " https://www.kron4.com/news/bay-area/stanford-employee-arrested-after-allegedly-lying-about-two-rapes-on-campus/?ipid=promo-link-block1

"Swastikas, image of Hitler discovered at Stanford University dorm"
https://www.kron4.com/news/bay-area/swastikas-image-of-hitler-discovered-at-stanford-university-dorm/?ipid=promo-link-block2

"Stanford police investigating incident in which deputy pointed gun at car driven by Black man"
https://www.kron4.com/news/bay-area/stanford-police-investigating-incident-in-which-deputy-pointed-gun-at-car-driven-by-black-man/

juarezbear
NVBear78 said:

God help us if those Stanfurd law students ever become lawyers or judges. They are straight out of the Cultural Revolution.

Sadly, things aren't any better at Cal for Jewish students.
calumnus
GameDay said:

Meh. This kind of controversy is going on everywhere. Some students think the better approach is to "refuse" to hear what they perceive as hateful, insulting, etc. speech by shouting it down. Others go for the more conventional view: Listen and then repudiate. Every (law) school has a mix of the two approaches. Not much to see here really. (Also, it has to be noted that Terien Steinbach - Stanfurd Law's "dean of diversity, equity, and inclusion" -- is a Berkeley Law grad and long time head of the legal clinic connected to the law school.) Plus, though I don't know what the true facts are, the Washington Free Beacon ("Covering The Enemies of Freedom The Way The Mainstream Media Won't") is hardly a neutral source of information so there may well be some bias at play here.

Now if you want some REAL recent dirt on Stanfurd, check out these stories - all within the last 30 days:

"Stanford employee arrested after allegedly lying about being raped twice on campus " https://www.kron4.com/news/bay-area/stanford-employee-arrested-after-allegedly-lying-about-two-rapes-on-campus/?ipid=promo-link-block1

"Swastikas, image of Hitler discovered at Stanford University dorm"
https://www.kron4.com/news/bay-area/swastikas-image-of-hitler-discovered-at-stanford-university-dorm/?ipid=promo-link-block2

"Stanford police investigating incident in which deputy pointed gun at car driven by Black man"
https://www.kron4.com/news/bay-area/stanford-police-investigating-incident-in-which-deputy-pointed-gun-at-car-driven-by-black-man/

Good post. I am sure the Washington Free Beacon ("Covering The Enemies of Freedom The Way The Mainstream Media Won't") is no friend of the University of California, Berkeley either and you could find similar articles about us. There is plenty of material to point to in Stanford's history of right wing extremism going back to their first president David Starr Jordan and up to the present day (as you pointed out) without us being hypocritical and also having to side with bigoted judges to find something to criticize them about.
GMP
Feels like a lot of you are being played, just like those Stanford students were played: what happened in that video is exactly what the Federalist Society hoped for when they invited this judge.
calumnus
GMP said:

Feels like a lot of you are being played, just like those Stanford students were played: what happened in that video is exactly what the Federalist Society hoped for when they invited this judge.

Exactly.
calumnus
juarezbear said:

NVBear78 said:

Sadly, things aren't any better at Cal for Jewish students.

Painting with a broad brush. Not all Jews think alike. I have family in Israel that want democracy and a secular state, hold Netanyahu responsible for Rabin's assassination and regularly protest against perpetual occupation and the illegal expansion of settlements.
NVBear78
GMP said:

What?
TomBear
If that sh__ happened at Berkeley, I would condemn it just as I condemn what happened at 'furd. It was stupid, illustrated the worst of our youth, and accomplished nothing (other than bringing negative attention to some priviledged children. College is a place for debate and sharing of different ideas (among other things). As far as I'm concerned, each one should be either kicked out, suspended or otherwise penalized.
calumnus
TomBear said:

If that sh__ happened at Berkeley, I would condemn it just as I condemn what happened at 'furd. It was stupid, illustrated the worst of our youth, and accomplished nothing (other than bringing negative attention to some priviledged children. College is a place for debate and sharing of different ideas (among other things). As far as I'm concerned, each one should be either kicked out, suspended or otherwise penalized.

Similar things HAVE happened in Berkeley. It was not set up as a debate. And while I do not endorse the actions of protesters (mostly due to efficacy, they are playing into a narrative), the 1st Amendment was not created to protect speeches by government officials from protest, it is the opposite, and a state-run school penalizing students for protesting the actions of government officials seems like a clear violation of the Constitution.
tequila4kapp
GMP said:

When I was at Cal I had a guest lecturer who was an ex-con (murder?) Black Panther who was running for Senate or Governor (?) that advocated for some crazy ass ***** He was not invited to incite anything any more than a Federal a judge was invited to incite anything. Even if they were - which I don't believe - succumbing to said temptation still says a million times more about the people who got baited than the people who did the baiting. They are small minded bullies.

You went to law school, too. You know that having a federal judge speak is a privilege. I would have this exact same opinion if my right of center federalist society classmates had worn masks and shouted down Ruth Bader Ginsburg and her husband when they spoke at my law school graduation. It's wrong on every conceivable level but is especially unconscionable among the supposed intellectual among us.
tequila4kapp
calumnus said:

TomBear said:

Similar things HAVE happened in Berkeley. It was not set up as a debate. And while I do not endorse the actions of protesters (mostly due to efficacy, they are playing into a narrative), the 1st Amendment was not created to protect speeches by government officials from protest, it is the opposite, and a state-run school penalizing students for protesting the actions of government officials seems like a clear violation of the Constitution.
Not sure if your 1st Am argument is about Furd or the prior Cal instances. If Furd…private school so the students don't have a 1st Am leg to stand on.

To the extent they are arguing the spirit of the 1st Am protects their right to protest that same spirit extends to the guest speaker.

Finally, the more notable semi-recent Cal protests against right of center speakers was against commentators / columnists (Ann Coulter and that guy who's name I can't remember), not government speakers.
TomBear
I get a kick out of all this talk of "diversity"......... but intellectual diversity? Nyet.
berserkeley
tequila4kapp said:

calumnus said:

TomBear said:

Not sure if your 1st Am argument is about Furd or the prior Cal instances. If Furd…private school so the students don't have a 1st Am leg to stand on.

To the extent they are arguing the spirit of the 1st Am protects their right to protest that same spirit extends to the guest speaker.

Finally, the more notable semi-recent Cal protests against right of center speakers was against commentators / columnists (Ann Coulter and that guy who's name I can't remember), not government speakers.
The argument was that if Cal expelled, suspended, or otherwise penalized students for engaging in protected political speech, it would be a violation of the First Amendment. There is no legal argument that the protestors violated the speaker's First Amendment rights because the protestors are not the government. That it the speaker was a government official makes the protestor's speech even more protected under the First Amendment. The First Amendment was created specifically to protect the right to protest the government so any governmental restrictions against such protest would be judged by the strictest scrutiny.

This is not to argue that what the protestors did was acceptable. Just that it was Constitutionally protected speech.
wifeisafurd
berserkeley said:

tequila4kapp said:

calumnus said:

TomBear said:

The argument was that if Cal expelled, suspended, or otherwise penalized students for engaging in protected political speech, it would be a violation of the First Amendment. There is no legal argument that the protestors violated the speaker's First Amendment rights because the protestors are not the government. That it the speaker was a government official makes the protestor's speech even more protected under the First Amendment. The First Amendment was created specifically to protect the right to protest the government so any governmental restrictions against such protest would be judged by the strictest scrutiny.

This is not to argue that what the protestors did was acceptable. Just that it was Constitutionally protected speech.
It's not the content of what they said, but their conduct in the way they said it that matters. They shout down an invited guest speaker, and then their attempts to intimidate other students. It also is one thing for undergrad kids to get excited about political issues and go about expressing their opinions with strong emotions and beyond to use an Animal House phrase, proper decorum. It is another for law students, who typically are in their mid to upper 20s adults these days to act like children. These are people who very soon want to be advocating for clients and probably will be very upset if they are subject to such treatment while trying to do so.

I have this image of CC calling up Furd's President and thanking him for getting Cal off the front page of newspapers.
GMP
NVBear78 said:

GMP said:

What?

This is what the Federalist Society college groups want. They want to create a news story. They want to let the leftist students make themselves look bad. They want people talking about it.

My guess, and it's a guess, is the leaders of the campus chapter are hoping it will make a name for themselves within Fed Soc circles, thus increasing their likelihood of landing a good job out of college.

I would bet that the Fed Soc students left that presentation not feeling stifled or suppressed but high fiving each other - working quickly to get the video edited, uploaded and circulated.
NVBear78
GMP said:

NVBear78 said:

GMP said:

What?

This is what the Federalist Society college groups want. They want to create a news story. They want to let the leftist students make themselves look bad. They want people talking about it.

My guess, and it's a guess, is the leaders of the campus chapter are hoping it will make a name for themselves within Fed Soc circles, thus increasing their likelihood of landing a good job out of college.

I would bet that the Fed Soc students left that presentation not feeling stifled or suppressed but high fiving each other - working quickly to get the video edited, uploaded and circulated.

I am shocked at people like the Stanfraud Law students unwilling to listen to a different point of view. All conservatives I know are astounded at the unwillingness of the other side to even listen to let alone consider a different point of view. Berkeley is home of the free speech movement yet the left in our country apparently wants to live in a bubble and only hear one point of view regurgitated to them.

Watch the video of the event which prevented a Federal judge from even speaking and tell me how that was a good thing? Do those young Stanfurd students have all knowledge of all points of views and ways that society may be organized. Can they not benefit from hearing anothers point of view?

I would bet you a million Top Dogs that it was the intention of the Federalist Society and the Judge to provide an alternate point of view to the folks at Stanfurd and not to have a disruption of this nature.

GMP
NVBear78 said:

GMP said:

NVBear78 said:

GMP said:

What?

I am shocked at people like the Stanfraud Law students unwilling to listen to a different point of view. All conservatives I know are astounded at the unwillingness of the other side to even listen to let alone consider a different point of view. Berkeley is home of the free speech movement yet the left in our country apparently wants to live in a bubble and only hear one point of view regurgitated to them.

Watch the video of the event which prevented a Federal judge from even speaking and tell me how that was a good thing? Do those young Stanfurd students have all knowledge of all points of views and ways that society may be organized. Can they not benefit from hearing anothers point of view?

I would bet you a million Top Dogs that it was the intention of the Federalist Society and the Judge to provide an alternate point of view to the folks at Stanfurd and not to have a disruption of this nature.

The fact you are shocked and have discussed it with other conservatives, who have also expressed they are astounded, is exactly what they want.

Anarchistbear
This is just the theater kids playing to Instagram at the most exclusive club in the world. Twenty years from now these kids will return as Judges and regale each other with their Bluto Blutsrski moment in 2003. The idea that it is about anything is bizarrre . Nothing happened
TomBear
The idea of these children becoming judges is disagreeable to the highest degree (no pun intended).
calpoly
TomBear said:

The idea of these children becoming judges is disagreeable to the highest degree (no pun intended).
I would take these "children" over Thomas, Alito, Gorsuch, Kavanaugh, Roberts, and Barrett on the Supreme Court!
calumnus
calpoly said:

TomBear said:

I would take these "children" over Thomas, Alito, Gorsuch, Kavanaugh, Roberts, and Barrett on the Supreme Court!

Amen
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.