Because Stanford getting a black eye always belongs on a Cal football message board

6,048 Views | 65 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by tequila4kapp
wifeisafurd
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I guess the story has some legs, much to my surprise. The story made Left, Right and Center on NPR where Stanford and the protesting students were all lambasted by the left, right and center. So bad press for Furd even in the more liberal media outlets.
TomBear
And I wouldn't.

Fortunately, none will probably ever get that far.
NVBear78
Follow up questions:

• Do you support the Furd students in not allowing an opposing point of view (held by fifty percent of Americans) to be heard?

• And do you believe those Stanfurd Law students have the depth of wisdom, knowledge and experience to declare themselves "right" and all other points of view held by others as wrong?
calpoly
NVBear78 said:

Follow up questions:

• Do you support the Furd students in not allowing an opposing point of view (held by fifty of Americans) to be heard?
  • And do you believe those Stanfurd Law students have the depth of wisdom, knowledge and experience to declare themselves "right" and all other points of view held by others as wrong?

fifty of Americans? So you are talking about 0.000015% of the population of the USA? Sounds like the RWNJ base is getting smaller.
pingpong2
Pretty sure Berkeley students would have done the same, if not worse. We're throwing rocks from a glass house here.
tequila4kapp
NVBear78 said:

GMP said:

NVBear78 said:

GMP said:

Feels like a lot of you are being played, just like those Stanford students were played: what happened in that video is exactly what the Federalist Society hoped for when they invited this judge.
What?

This is what the Federalist Society college groups want. They want to create a news story. They want to let the leftist students make themselves look bad. They want people talking about it.

My guess, and it's a guess, is the leaders of the campus chapter are hoping it will make a name for themselves within Fed Soc circles, thus increasing their likelihood of landing a good job out of college.

I would bet that the Fed Soc students left that presentation not feeling stifled or suppressed but high fiving each other - working quickly to get the video edited, uploaded and circulated.

I am shocked at people like the Stanfraud Law students unwilling to listen to a different point of view. All conservatives I know are astounded at the unwillingness of the other side to even listen to let alone consider a different point of view. Berkeley is home of the free speech movement yet the left in our country apparently wants to live in a bubble and only hear one point of view regurgitated to them.

Watch the video of the event which prevented a Federal judge from even speaking and tell me how that was a good thing? Do those young Stanfurd students have all knowledge of all points of views and ways that society may be organized. Can they not benefit from hearing anothers point of view?

I would bet you a million Top Dogs that it was the intention of the Federalist Society and the Judge to provide an alternate point of view to the folks at Stanfurd and not to have a disruption of this nature.

To be fair, both sides are this way. I think it's an ugly byproduct of getting news from social media - allowing people to like / dislike creates an echo chamber of similar thought and that seems to then go beyond social media, eventually.
wifeisafurd
pingpong2 said:

Pretty sure Berkeley students would have done the same, if not worse. We're throwing rocks from a glass house here.
At least Berkeley law students know the law. Furdie protestors are now demanding their names be removed from social media (recall they were wearing masks) in order to protect their first amendment rights. So I guess they fell a sleep in that part of Con Law (it happens).

Stanford Law protesters demand to have names ... - NewsBreakNews Breakhttps://www.newsbreak.com Stanford, CA

For what presumably are bright students, the Furdies are doing everything they can to get hammered from both sides of the legal philosophical spectrum, keep what should have been a one day story alive, all while looking like complete idiots to members of the legal profession.

tequila4kapp
berserkeley said:

tequila4kapp said:

calumnus said:

TomBear said:

If that sh__ happened at Berkeley, I would condemn it just as I condemn what happened at 'furd. It was stupid, illustrated the worst of our youth, and accomplished nothing (other than bringing negative attention to some priviledged children. College is a place for debate and sharing of different ideas (among other things). As far as I'm concerned, each one should be either kicked out, suspended or otherwise penalized.
Similar things HAVE happened in Berkeley. It was not set up as a debate. And while I do not endorse the actions of protesters (mostly due to efficacy, they are playing into a narrative), the 1st Amendment was not created to protect speeches by government officials from protest, it is the opposite, and a state-run school penalizing students for protesting the actions of government officials seems like a clear violation of the Constitution.
Not sure if your 1st Am argument is about Furd or the prior Cal instances. If Furd…private school so the students don't have a 1st Am leg to stand on.

To the extent they are arguing the spirit of the 1st Am protects their right to protest that same spirit extends to the guest speaker.

Finally, the more notable semi-recent Cal protests against right of center speakers was against commentators / columnists (Ann Coulter and that guy who's name I can't remember), not government speakers.
The argument was that if Cal expelled, suspended, or otherwise penalized students for engaging in protected political speech, it would be a violation of the First Amendment. There is no legal argument that the protestors violated the speaker's First Amendment rights because the protestors are not the government. That it the speaker was a government official makes the protestor's speech even more protected under the First Amendment. The First Amendment was created specifically to protect the right to protest the government so any governmental restrictions against such protest would be judged by the strictest scrutiny.

This is not to argue that what the protestors did was acceptable. Just that it was Constitutionally protected speech.
You mean it would have been protective IF this event happened at Cal, right? Because in this actual case it is not Constitutionally protected - Furd is a private institution, which means the government action criteria necessary to invoke 1st Amendment rights does not exist.
operbear
Rename Stanford Law Scholl "Herbert Marcuse Law School".
For those who don't know, these actions were exactly what he advocated.
Operbear
79 Bear
I looked up Tirien Steinbach, the dean of diversity and inclusivity who is reported to have stood up and lectured the speaker while condoning the protesting students' actions. She got her undergraduate degree from UC Santa Cruz and her law degree from Berkeley Law, where she has been a lecturer. Glass houses.
wifeisafurd
tequila4kapp said:

berserkeley said:

tequila4kapp said:

calumnus said:

TomBear said:

If that sh__ happened at Berkeley, I would condemn it just as I condemn what happened at 'furd. It was stupid, illustrated the worst of our youth, and accomplished nothing (other than bringing negative attention to some priviledged children. College is a place for debate and sharing of different ideas (among other things). As far as I'm concerned, each one should be either kicked out, suspended or otherwise penalized.
Similar things HAVE happened in Berkeley. It was not set up as a debate. And while I do not endorse the actions of protesters (mostly due to efficacy, they are playing into a narrative), the 1st Amendment was not created to protect speeches by government officials from protest, it is the opposite, and a state-run school penalizing students for protesting the actions of government officials seems like a clear violation of the Constitution.
Not sure if your 1st Am argument is about Furd or the prior Cal instances. If Furd…private school so the students don't have a 1st Am leg to stand on.

To the extent they are arguing the spirit of the 1st Am protects their right to protest that same spirit extends to the guest speaker.

Finally, the more notable semi-recent Cal protests against right of center speakers was against commentators / columnists (Ann Coulter and that guy who's name I can't remember), not government speakers.
The argument was that if Cal expelled, suspended, or otherwise penalized students for engaging in protected political speech, it would be a violation of the First Amendment. There is no legal argument that the protestors violated the speaker's First Amendment rights because the protestors are not the government. That it the speaker was a government official makes the protestor's speech even more protected under the First Amendment. The First Amendment was created specifically to protect the right to protest the government so any governmental restrictions against such protest would be judged by the strictest scrutiny.

This is not to argue that what the protestors did was acceptable. Just that it was Constitutionally protected speech.
You mean it would have been protective IF this event happened at Cal, right? Because in this actual case it is not Constitutionally protected - Furd is a private institution, which means the government action criteria necessary to invoke 1st Amendment rights does not exist.
Also, there are restrictions on a heckler's veto, where protestors who disagrees with a speaker's message are able to unilaterally trigger events that result in the speaker being silenced. Assuning the first amendment even applied at a private institution, It was alleged that the protestors tried to intimidate the objecting Federalist Society members, which probably engenders one of the exceptions to the heckler's veto which is maintaining order and protecting general welfare (in other words protestors can get removed and arrested if there is they pose a threat to others or will incite violence (which seems to be a dumb rule, because it also incentivizes retaliatory conduct against hecklers)).

The story for me, is that this continues to be a story. It is not like protestors shutting something down on campus never happened before. Furd has a lot of other bad press going on. They do not seem to be able to control the press message in their usual manner. Some of this may be Furd is a target due to their success (lowest acceptance rate, etc.).
juarezbear
wifeisafurd said:

pingpong2 said:

At least Berkeley law students know the law. Furdie protestors are now demanding their names be removed from social media (recall they were wearing masks) in order to protect their first amendment rights. So I guess they fell a sleep in that part of Con Law (it happens).

Stanford Law protesters demand to have names ... - NewsBreakNews Breakhttps://www.newsbreak.com Stanford, CA

For what presumably are bright students, the Furdies are doing everything they can to get hammered from both sides of the legal philosophical spectrum, keep what should have been a one day story alive, all while looking like complete idiots to members of the legal profession.

That's pretty cowardly. They don't want to risk their future law careers but go DEFCON 1 on the speaker.
Cal88
NVBear78 said:

God help us if those Stanfurd law students ever become lawyers or judges. They are straight out of the Cultural Revolution.

I doubt things are much different at Berkeley Law, or Yale or most other top law schools today, unfortunately. The Gramsciesque march through the institutions already is in its second generation.
Blueblood

"I want to thank you all for inviting
and allowing me, a stanfurd fan, to
appear on your BI Board!
eastbayyoungbear
I don't know, this recountment of the protest says that the students did let the judge speak -- he just chose not to because he got the response he wanted: https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2023/03/trump-judge-kyle-duncan-stanford-law-scotus-audition.html
Cal88
Blueblood said:

appear on your BI Board!

Blueblood, ...a dirty furd!?!

Shocking!
NVBear78
eastbayyoungbear said:

I don't know, this recountment of the protest says that the students did let the judge speak -- he just chose not to because he got the response he wanted: https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2023/03/trump-judge-kyle-duncan-stanford-law-scotus-audition.html

It is an unsupported opinion based on your own prejudices to say the judge "got the response he wanted". A review of the facts and comments from all involved does not support your conclusion at all. The judge was coming to speak on technical and non controversial subjects. The Furd law students prevented that from happening and were apalling and out of line in their behavior.

"We hope your daughters get raped" was one of their nicer comments…
wifeisafurd
eastbayyoungbear said:

The magazine article doesn't say what you said.

It says before he could get going on the speech, after he walked out, the Judge was barraged by "questions" from protestors to stop him from speaking. That isn't accurate either, but does get down with the typical Slate agenda. Internet light weights got nothing on Fox when it comes to slanting the truth

The problem is you can go on to the PBS website and all over the internet and actually see the whole thing if you want, including the Judge starting his speech and then the alleged "questions" which initially was simply cat calls, and then turned into people screaming political statements about erasing rights, some nice crude statements, and I suppose a few questions which got lost in the noise. Not to mention the 9 minute denunciation statement by the Diversity Asst. Dean, who clearly was prepared for all this with what looked like a programmed speech. Gotta feeling her career at Furd is over.

I'm not sure why the Judge came back to answer questions. It could be numerous motivations, but you would have to be a mind reader to know.

The Slate narrative also is in direct contrast with the letter sent to all Stanford Law alums by the Furd President, about what took place.

wifeisafurd
eastbayyoungbear said:

Not that it matters given the tape, but there also is now an audio out, that covers a longer period =, and demonstrates the Judge was trying for some time to get his speech off and that Slate, as one might expect, is full of it. Of course leaked by Fox News, who knows how to milk an opportunity. Enjoy:

Audio released of Judge Kyle Duncan's speech before Stanford Law School's Federalist Society chapter sheds new light on what transpired throughout the event. | Fox News

https://www.foxnews.com/media/unearthed-audio-stanford-offers-new-insight-protest-against-federal-judge

There is a reason that liberal commentators have been hammering the students/administrator - they did their due diligence. Only Stanford law students could provide a safe environment for bipartisanship criticism

berserkeley
tequila4kapp said:

berserkeley said:

tequila4kapp said:

calumnus said:

TomBear said:

Yes. That was made clear in the very first sentence of my post. If Cal were to expell the protestors. A suggestion was put forward as to what Cal should do in such a situation, but the suggestion was potentially unconstitutional.

A heckler's veto is when the government punishes the heckler. It is generally unconstitutional for the government to punish a heckler.
eastbayyoungbear
wifeisafurd said:

eastbayyoungbear said:

Not that it matters given the tape, but there also is now an audio out, that covers a longer period =, and demonstrates the Judge was trying for some time to get his speech off and that Slate, as one might expect, is full of it. Of course leaked by Fox News, who knows how to milk an opportunity. Enjoy:

Audio released of Judge Kyle Duncan's speech before Stanford Law School's Federalist Society chapter sheds new light on what transpired throughout the event. | Fox News

https://www.foxnews.com/media/unearthed-audio-stanford-offers-new-insight-protest-against-federal-judge

There is a reason that liberal commentators have been hammering the students/administrator - they did their due diligence. Only Stanford law students could provide a safe environment for bipartisanship criticism

I think Fox is misconstruing (or providing spin I guess) on Lat's original article: https://davidlat.substack.com/p/the-full-audio-recording-of-judge

Quote:

"At 26:53, one of the student demonstrators says, 'Ok, let's just let him finish his rant in complete silence so he can get that out and it can go into the newspaper or whatever. Just pointed silence until the Q&A.' Then the room fell completely silent. At this point, Judge Duncan abandoned his prepared remarks and jumped straight into the Q&A. This is important context because the tone of the conversation nationwide is that the student demonstrators never gave Duncan an opportunity to speak, which is not true. This is clear evidence of that, and the conversation is misleading without it. At the very least, it's worth mentioning in your timestamps because I think the narrative is incomplete without it."
Willing to grant you that being heckled would likely lead one to not want to continue prepared remarks, but the guy clearly heard an opportunity for combat and jumped to it. I don't think its hard to construe a motivation for that.
tequila4kapp
eastbayyoungbear said:

wifeisafurd said:

eastbayyoungbear said:

I think Fox is misconstruing (or providing spin I guess) on Lat's original article: https://davidlat.substack.com/p/the-full-audio-recording-of-judge

Quote:

"At 26:53, one of the student demonstrators says, 'Ok, let's just let him finish his rant in complete silence so he can get that out and it can go into the newspaper or whatever. Just pointed silence until the Q&A.' Then the room fell completely silent. At this point, Judge Duncan abandoned his prepared remarks and jumped straight into the Q&A. This is important context because the tone of the conversation nationwide is that the student demonstrators never gave Duncan an opportunity to speak, which is not true. This is clear evidence of that, and the conversation is misleading without it. At the very least, it's worth mentioning in your timestamps because I think the narrative is incomplete without it."
Willing to grant you that being heckled would likely lead one to not want to continue prepared remarks, but the guy clearly heard an opportunity for combat and jumped to it. I don't think its hard to construe a motivation for that.

Where you see motive I see a guy who faced nearly 30 minutes of hostility, heard a protester publicly say they were going quiet for tactical reasons and probably decided they weren't here to him anyways, so he moved to Q/A to move things along. That would be a completely natural human reaction thing to do.
wifeisafurd
eastbayyoungbear said:

wifeisafurd said:

eastbayyoungbear said:

Quote:

And that motivation could be to defend himself, rathe than the garbage Slate was peddling.
BearGoggles
A few points - some a bit belated.

Those claiming the first amendment doesn't apply to Furd are forgetting about the Leonard Law - the CA state law which makes the First Amendment applicable to Furd and this situation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leonard_Law

In terms of whether the Judge was prevented from speaking, I note that a video tape of the event apparently exists, the Federalist Society wants to release the tape, and Furd is refusing to provide a copy. Draw your own conclusions about that.

Finally, I'll note that one of the clearest wrong doers in this case (Tirien Steinbach) is a Boalt grad . . .
BearGoggles
eastbayyoungbear said:

wifeisafurd said:

eastbayyoungbear said:

Quote:

This is the epitome of victim blaming. What was the judge wearing? Maybe he invited the heckling and personal attacks.

There is literally nothing that justifies a heckler's veto. It doesn't matter how the judge reacted.
wifeisafurd
BearGoggles said:

Those claiming the first amendment doesn't apply to Furd are forgetting about the Leonard Law - the CA state law which makes the First Amendment applicable to Furd and this situation.

In terms of whether the Judge was prevented from speaking, I note that a video tape of the event apparently exists, the Federalist Society wants to release the tape, and Furd is refusing to provide a copy. Draw your own conclusions about that.

Finally, I'll note that one of the clearest wrong doers in this case (Tirien Steinbach) is a Boalt grad . . .

If you want t hear the tape, just click on link in the Fox article I attached.

The letter to alums and the apology to the Judge, both penned by the Furd President, claim Furd's policy is to follow the First Amendment and that it was the Judge who was denied his First Amendment right to speak. The apology is public and can be googled. I'm not going to opine on any of that (not my area of law, and I probably should not have even posted on the heckler thing), other than to say what is in the apology and letter to law school alums is the college's position. I have not heard of any attempt to discipline students, and I suspect that Steinbach's career at Furd is over.
BearGoggles
wifeisafurd said:

BearGoggles said:

The letter to alums and the apology to the Judge, both penned by the Furd President, claim Furd's policy is to follow the First Amendment and that it was the Judge who was denied his First Amendment right to speak. The apology is public and can be googled. I'm not going to opine on any of that (not my area of law, and I probably should not have even posted on the heckler thing), other than to say what is in the apology and letter to law school alums is the college's position. I have not heard of any attempt to discipline students, and I suspect that Steinbach's career at Furd is over.
That's their policy because (perhaps among other reasons) the law requires it. The president's letter was a good start - the question is whether there will be any follow through by imposing consequences on those involved. There were multiple deans in attendance - not just Steinbach. If there are not real consequences, the words and apology are empty.

And because a picture speaks a thousand words, I'd like to see the full video.
wifeisafurd
BearGoggles said:

wifeisafurd said:

BearGoggles said:

That's their policy because (perhaps among other reasons) the law requires it. The president's letter was a good start - the question is whether there will be any follow through by imposing consequences on those involved. There were multiple deans in attendance - not just Steinbach. If there are not real consequences, the words and apology are empty.

Stanford Asst. Dean of Diversity has been suspended per Law School Dean. Asst. Dean says she is on leave.

National ReviewStanford Law Dean Stands by Apology to Judge, Suspends Colleague Who Disrupted Lecture2 hours ago

Apparently the entire law school student body will be required to take mandatory educational programming on the first amendment. That should be will received from the students (sarcasm intended).

She also argued that the First Amendment (hecklers veto) didn't apply in this case. You can read her analysis in this article. State law (which is statutory) would follow Federal law in this case per the actual statue. The Dean teaches constitutional law.

My suspicion is the donor community has spoken and they are not happy.
[url=https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjl1I_huvD9AhUWQTABHeGkDtgQvOMEKAB6BAgMEAE&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.nationalreview.com%2Fnews%2Fstanford-law-dean-stands-by-apology-to-judge-suspends-colleague-who-disrupted-lecture%2F&usg=AOvVaw2ryM3tpLssrSPgvO92Cgaq][/url]

BearGoggles
wifeisafurd said:

BearGoggles said:

wifeisafurd said:

BearGoggles said:

Stanford Asst. Dean of Diversity has been suspended per Law School Dean. Asst. Dean says she is on leave.

National ReviewStanford Law Dean Stands by Apology to Judge, Suspends Colleague Who Disrupted Lecture2 hours ago

Apparently the entire law school student body will be required to take mandatory educational programming on the first amendment. That should be will received from the students (sarcasm intended).

She also argued that the First Amendment (hecklers veto) didn't apply in this case. You can read her analysis in this article. State law (which is statutory) would follow Federal law in this case per the actual statue. The Dean teaches constitutional law.

[url=https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjl1I_huvD9AhUWQTABHeGkDtgQvOMEKAB6BAgMEAE&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.nationalreview.com%2Fnews%2Fstanford-law-dean-stands-by-apology-to-judge-suspends-colleague-who-disrupted-lecture%2F&usg=AOvVaw2ryM3tpLssrSPgvO92Cgaq][/url]

She wrote an excellent letter. Here is the link for those inclined to read it

https://law.stanford.edu/wp-content/uploads/2023/03/Next-Steps-on-Protests-and-Free-Speech.pdf

From what I can tell, the letter is being reasonably well received by people on both sides of the political aisle.
Chapman_is_Gone
Cal88 said:

Blueblood said:

appear on your BI Board!

Blueblood, ...a dirty furd!?!

Shocking!

A GREAT episode. Top 10 for sure. I was blindsided by the reveal.
tequila4kapp
BearGoggles said:

wifeisafurd said:

BearGoggles said:

wifeisafurd said:

BearGoggles said:

She wrote an excellent letter. Here is the link for those inclined to read it

https://law.stanford.edu/wp-content/uploads/2023/03/Next-Steps-on-Protests-and-Free-Speech.pdf

From what I can tell, the letter is being reasonably well received by people on both sides of the political aisle.
I hate that letter. Because it is nearly perfect it is the first time ever I can't hate on Furd over something.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.