Story Poster
Photo by Twitter / Cal Football
Cal Football

Cal Football Spring Practice Day 4

March 15, 2023

MEMORIAL STADIUM- The sun finally came out for a clear and crisp morning at Memorial Stadium for spring ball day 4. With the second day of partial pads on, spirited play continued, as the energy throughout practice remained electric throughout all periods, especially during the final 11v11.

“It’s very similar to a lot of spring balls,” defensive coordinator Peter Sirmon said of spring ball so far. “We get a lot of installations in early. The style of play we’re playing against is exciting to see because there’s a lot of similarities with what we see week to week. The tempo of practices has significantly increased. So all those things are positives in terms of just the style and tempo of practice.”

Sirmon was asked if the level of physicality has increased at this point in practice.

“Absolutely,” Sirmon said. “This is day two of putting some pads on. But we’ve had a lot of competitive team periods, even with just in helmets. We've gotten a lot more of the team 11x11 situations, putting the ball down and just playing more ball instead of more of the group sessions, with everybody getting on the field and playing.

Here are some highlights from this morning’s session:

• WR Trond Grizzell sideline grab from QB Fernando Mendoza for 15 yards 7v7
  • Diving catch up the middle from Mendoza to WR Chris Rogers 7v7
  • Tip by DB Miles Williams 11x11
  • Mendoza to TE Jack Endries with a sideline grab for 10 yards 
  • Jackson 10 yard keeper 
  • RB Bryon Cardwell 8 yard run off tackle 
  • Jackson sidearm to Cardwell down the sideline for 20 yards

1 v 1s:

• Brayden Rohme > Nohl Williams 
  • Ender Aguilar> Nate Rutchena
  • Byron Cardwell > Craig Woodson
  • Sioape Vatikani >Sergio Allen
  • Brian Driscoll > Jackson Sirmon
  • Colin Hamilton > DB Lachlan Wilson
  • Asher Alberding > Hunter Barth
  • Jackson Brown > Cam Sidney
  • Everett Johnson > Muelu Iosefa
  • Trent Ramsey >ILB  McKyle So’oto
  • Jack Endries > OLB Moso Tuitele
  • Hunter Barth >Dylan Jemtegaard
  • Colin Hamilton > Mayze Bryant
  • TE Jake Muller > Myles Jernigan

11x11 Thud Tempo -Contact with shoulder pads, no tackling

• Run by Ott RB for 20 yards
  • Jackson scramble for 15 yards
  • WR Grant Daley with a quick cut and RAC for a 30-yard gain with the pass from Mendoza PTG
  • Cardwell for a 12-yard gain
  • Cardwell bounced outside for 15 yards
  • Mendoza pass knocked down by DB Lu-Magia Hearns
  • Mendoza sack by Jake Arguello
  • 15 yard gain by Cardwell
  • Mendoza on the run for a long 50-yard TD (might’ve been tackled within the 10 with full contact.
  • FB Beaux Tagaloa for 15 yards with a big hit delivered at the end

Junior portal transfer cornerback Nohl Williams made his Cal media debut today after practice. Williams has been perhaps the most impressive member of the defensive backfield this spring, playing with confidence and a little swagger while leading the team so far with two interceptions this spring.

“I just love the energy here, it’s a different environment for me and just better exposure for me personally, I think, Williams said. “I would just say the competition and just the energy with the coaches, they bring more out of me and I want to come more prepared before practice and after practice, just staying on top of my stuff, keeping the schedule and staying organized.”

Making the move from the Mountain West to the Pac-12 has been an eye-opener for the veteran DB, who started all three seasons at UNLV. 

“I feel like they’re more pass-happy in the Pac-12 and it’s just going to give me more opportunities to make plays on the ball,” WIlliams noted. 

Williams got a little taste of the Pac-12 and the Cal program last season in the Bears’ 20-14 win at Memorial.

“When I first came on the field, I was like, okay, it’s the Pac-12,” Williams said.  “It’s a bit different, but at the end of the day it’s just football and I didn’t think too much of it. But, it is a very prestigious program and institution.”

Williams was a bit surprised at the level of interest in him, playing in a less prominent conference at UNLV. The interest came primarily from the Pac-12 and Big Ten but Cal struck the right note with him early in the portal process.

“It was interesting because I didn’t think I would get as many looks as I did and then it started to pick up” Willams said. “I didn’t want to be in there for that long anyways so I just trusted the connections I had in the past and just trusted my gut.

“I just thought I could really start something here. You know, a program that didn’t go to a bowl game, if I could be part of a program that goes from not being in a bowl game to being in a bowl game, that’s bigger than going to a program that’s already winning. Basically trying to ride my own wave, you know, just starting something new.”

Related:

Cal Football Spring Practice Day 3

Cal Football Spring Ball Day 2

Discussion from...

Cal Football Spring Practice Day 4

7,020 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Bobodeluxe
NorCalFBFan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Great summary/recap! Thank you!
calumnus
Thanks for the write-up!
Cal88
Nice writeup, great picture, thanks.
6956bear
I like that they are doing more 11 v 11. Lets find out who can play.
BearoutEast67
Do we still only have two QBs?
Donate to Cal's NIL at https://calegends.com/donation/
6956bear
BearoutEast67 said:

Do we still only have two QBs?
For now. I expect at least 1 more to be added by Fall camp. But for now having 2 scholarship QBs is allowing for a lot of reps. That will be helpful getting the offense up to speed.
Grrrrah76
Wouldn't be surprised to pick up one of Ucla quarterbacks, maybe even former Cal commit Justyn Martin. He might be buried in 3rd or 4th position on ucla roster.
calumnus
Grrrrah76 said:

Wouldn't be surprised to pick up one of Ucla quarterbacks, maybe even former Cal commit Justyn Martin. He might be buried in 3rd or 4th position on ucla roster.

Yeah or even Rashada from…. Where did he end up? UCLA Spring practice starts next month and runs until the end of April.

I would expect we get another QB added to the roster in May, well before summer bridge and Fall camp.
wc22
All the reports indicate that UCLA plans to have the comp between their super frosh and a transfer QB. I'd be pissed if I wasn't given a fair shot which Justyn may not
Bobodeluxe
They already know what they have.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.