Pac 12 coach on 60 Minutes

2,572 Views | 23 Replies | Last: 10 mo ago by concordtom
okaydo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
okaydo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
October 2022:




September 2023:






KoreAmBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I love what Coach Prime is doing at CU, but I liked him more on NFL Network with his entertaining and honest personality, esp connecting with the pro players.

As a coach, I equate some of his "are you with us" talk more as "are you good enough for us?" Is that really for the kids or just front running by assembling more 5 stars?

Seems also that he basically bullied the 60 Minutes reporter into moving off the issue of whether he fulfilled whatever goal he had at Jackson State to go to a Pac-12 school. The reporter did say he "abandoned" Jackson State in the voice-over narrative, which I am sure Coach Prime won't appreciate.

Whatever the case, he has Boulder buzzing for now, and that is exciting.
Big C
How long do you want to ignore this user?
KoreAmBear said:

I love what Coach Prime is doing at CU, but I liked him more on NFL Network with his entertaining and honest personality, esp connecting with the pro players.

As a coach, I equate some of his "are you with us" talk more as "are you good enough for us?" Is that really for the kids or just front running by assembling more 5 stars?

Seems also that he basically bullied the 60 Minutes reporter into moving off the issue of whether he fulfilled whatever goal he had at Jackson State to go to a Pac-12 school. The reporter did say he "abandoned" Jackson State, which I am sure Coach Prime won't appreciate.

Whatever the case, he has Boulder buzzing for now, and that is exciting.

I'll be excited when some coach (current or future) has Berkeley buzzing. Oops... California.
TedfordTheGreat
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Big C said:

KoreAmBear said:

I love what Coach Prime is doing at CU, but I liked him more on NFL Network with his entertaining and honest personality, esp connecting with the pro players.

As a coach, I equate some of his "are you with us" talk more as "are you good enough for us?" Is that really for the kids or just front running by assembling more 5 stars?

Seems also that he basically bullied the 60 Minutes reporter into moving off the issue of whether he fulfilled whatever goal he had at Jackson State to go to a Pac-12 school. The reporter did say he "abandoned" Jackson State, which I am sure Coach Prime won't appreciate.

Whatever the case, he has Boulder buzzing for now, and that is exciting.

I'll be excited when some coach (current or future) has Berkeley buzzing. Oops... California.
Love him or hate him, the guy is hired to do three things.
1. Win football games
2. Bring excitement, recruiting and donor support
3. Develop the young men on and off the field.

He is doing #1 and #2 very well. #3 remains to be seen.

If anyone tells you anything they hate about prime, i gotta believe it comes with a bit of envy (myself included)
DiabloWags
How long do you want to ignore this user?
TedfordTheGreat said:

Big C said:

KoreAmBear said:

I love what Coach Prime is doing at CU, but I liked him more on NFL Network with his entertaining and honest personality, esp connecting with the pro players.

As a coach, I equate some of his "are you with us" talk more as "are you good enough for us?" Is that really for the kids or just front running by assembling more 5 stars?

Seems also that he basically bullied the 60 Minutes reporter into moving off the issue of whether he fulfilled whatever goal he had at Jackson State to go to a Pac-12 school. The reporter did say he "abandoned" Jackson State, which I am sure Coach Prime won't appreciate.

Whatever the case, he has Boulder buzzing for now, and that is exciting.

I'll be excited when some coach (current or future) has Berkeley buzzing. Oops... California.
Love him or hate him, the guy is hired to do three things.
1. Win football games
2. Bring excitement, recruiting and donor support
3. Develop the young men on and off the field.

He is doing #1 and #2 very well. #3 remains to be seen.

If anyone tells you anything they hate about prime, i gotta believe it comes with a bit of envy (myself included)

He was doing #3 at Jackson State.
And he left that program in much better shape than when he first got there.
"Cults don't end well. They really don't."
socaltownie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I dont have any complaints about Prime. I do have complaints about the media

Nebraska - 1 and 2
TCU - 2 and 1
CSU - 0 -= 2

Lets see how he does against Oregon before we have him on 60 minutes TWICE.

Econ141
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I think Prime is doing an excellent job making the team believe in themselves.

The interview was fairly decent but anyone wanting to understand why this works should watch the documentary on his at Jackson St on Amazon.

I wonder though how the AD felt when he said (and it's true) the players he's getting are coming to Colorado not because of the university but for him.
wifeisafurd
How long do you want to ignore this user?
He certainly has improved the team athletically and uplifted Colorado's profile. Even if they don't beat the top tier teams (which remains to be seen) they are much better.
DiabloWags
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Can you imagine Justin Wilcox saying the following to his team:

"We don't got next, we got NOW"

"We ain't coming no more, we HERE"



"Cults don't end well. They really don't."
DiabloWags
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Econ141 said:


I wonder though how the AD felt when he said (and it's true) the players he's getting are coming to Colorado not because of the university but for him.


You could argue that Mark Madsen has done the same thing.
Players are coming to Cal because of Madsen. Not because of the University.
"Cults don't end well. They really don't."
Econ141
How long do you want to ignore this user?
DiabloWags said:

Econ141 said:


I wonder though how the AD felt when he said (and it's true) the players he's getting are coming to Colorado not because of the university but for him.


You could argue that Mark Madsen has done the same thing.
Players are coming to Cal because of Madsen. Not because of the University.



Fair point although I'll position it as Mark is better at selling what our university has to offer. For Colorado it's probably 98% the coach, 2% the university for Mark it's 70% him and 30% the university. Percentages determined through scientific means obviously.
DiabloWags
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Econ141 said:

DiabloWags said:

Econ141 said:


I wonder though how the AD felt when he said (and it's true) the players he's getting are coming to Colorado not because of the university but for him.


You could argue that Mark Madsen has done the same thing.
Players are coming to Cal because of Madsen. Not because of the University.



Fair point although I'll position it as Mark is better at selling what our university has to offer. For Colorado it's probably 98% the coach, 2% the university for Mark it's 70% him and 30% the university. Percentages determined through scientific means obviously.

I would tend to agree, but I think that it's more than that.
Take a look at what the Colorado AD said during the segment on "60 Minutes"

Rick George: "It's great for us to be able to bring this program back to RELEVANCY. And we had failed in my previous 9 years, 10 years."

John Wertheim: "Fair to call this a bit of a Hail Mary?"

Rick George: "It wasnt a Hail Mary, but it was a moment in time for our University and our athletic department that we were either going to be RELEVANT or we were going to be irrelevant."



"Cults don't end well. They really don't."
Econ141
How long do you want to ignore this user?
DiabloWags said:

Econ141 said:

DiabloWags said:

Econ141 said:


I wonder though how the AD felt when he said (and it's true) the players he's getting are coming to Colorado not because of the university but for him.


You could argue that Mark Madsen has done the same thing.
Players are coming to Cal because of Madsen. Not because of the University.



Fair point although I'll position it as Mark is better at selling what our university has to offer. For Colorado it's probably 98% the coach, 2% the university for Mark it's 70% him and 30% the university. Percentages determined through scientific means obviously.

I would tend to agree, but I think that it's more than that.
Take a look at what the Colorado AD said during the segment on "60 Minutes"

Rick George: "It's great for us to be able to bring this program back to RELEVANCY. And we had failed in my previous 9 years, 10 years."

John Wertheim: "Fair to call this a bit of a Hail Mary?"

Rick George: "It wasnt a Hail Mary, but it was a moment in time for our University and our athletic department that we were either going to be RELEVANT or we were going to be irrelevant."






That comment really stood out to me as well. Left me wishing that our AD would say something to that effect publicly, let alone follow that up with a bold move.
okaydo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
DiabloWags said:

Can you imagine Justin Wilcox saying the following to his team:

"We don't got next, we got NOW"

"We ain't coming no more, we HERE"






Can you imagine Justin Wilcox saying the following to his team:

[ol]
"If you look good, you feel good, If you feel good, you play good, If you play good, they pay good."[/ol]
"People say there's no 'I' in team. Well, there's not. But there's an 'I' in win."
Big C
How long do you want to ignore this user?

I heard when he was getting rid of the underperformers this past winter/spring, he told them...

"There's no "u" in "this football team."

Classy. Reluctant props to him for doing better so far than I thought he would, but this story is still in the early chapters.
PtownBear1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Can you imagine where CU would be right now if they still had Wilcox...er I mean Dorrell? Sure as hell wouldn't be receiving $30m+ from the B12.
BearHunter
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Col-Boulder sounds better.
BearHunter
How long do you want to ignore this user?
DiabloWags said:

Can you imagine Justin Wilcox saying the following to his team:

"We don't got next, we got NOW"

"We ain't coming no more, we HERE"
Can you imagine Mark Madsen saying the following to his team:

"We don't got next, we got NOW"

"We ain't coming no more, we HERE"
SBGold
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Michael Jordan said the i in win to Coach Bach about 25 years ago, that's not original
TandemBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
socaltownie said:

I dont have any complaints about Prime. I do have complaints about the media

Nebraska - 1 and 2
TCU - 2 and 1
CSU - 0 -= 2

Lets see how he does against Oregon before we have him on 60 minutes TWICE.


Your problem with "the media" is based on dollahs, bucks, greenbacks & Benjamins!

If media is profit-driven, then this is what you get. 60 Minutes has to generate high ratings. Who better in college ball today will do that than Coach Prime? No one. This explains why Fox bay area news is non-stop blood, guts & violence. It's an hour-long ****show of homeless, crime, traffic crashes, and sports, with useless weather thrown in for good measure (not sure why they even do daily weather in most of CA, as it's a non-story 95% of the time). Bleeding & leading is the WAY to get eyeballs.

If you REALLY want to see other people of interest interviewed on shows like 60 Minutes, then you should be advocating for unbiased, vetted, professional objective journalism. I argue that public media can provide this without the drawbacks of profit motive.
sonofabear51
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Didn't Van Amburg from KGO-TV say if it bleeds, it leads?
Start Slowly and taper off
TedfordTheGreat
How long do you want to ignore this user?
if we need further convincing of Prime's star power:

9.3 M of viewers, against COLORADO STATE, nearly doubling South Carolina and Georgia who si #2 around 5M viewers.
https://www.reddit.com/r/CFB/comments/16mseg6/colorado_statecolorado_was_highestrated_game_of/

These are unheard of numbers for Colorado. I got to think that with numbers like these at Cal we are getting an invite from the Big10.

Its interesting how fortunes can change, and change quickly in this modern day pay-for-play era. It makes the decision to stick with Knowlton (still, at this moment) all the more maddening. We keep squandering opportunities, over, and over, and over again
concordtom
How long do you want to ignore this user?
wifeisafurd said:

He certainly has improved the team athletically and uplifted Colorado's profile. Even if they don't beat the top tier teams (which remains to be seen) they are much better.


And what's good for Colorado should be good for their conference. So Cal fans should support it, right?

Oh, wait, that's right…. Never mind!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1
 
×
subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.