Thank you Mike! Well said!

4,794 Views | 53 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by calumnus
calumnus
How long do you want to ignore this user?
California's on the field today,
Ev'ry man is ready for the fray
Gold and Blue means tried and true,
And once again you'll see
That we are out for a victory.
All our rival's hopes are doomed to die,
When our Golden Bear looks down on high;
Hear our Oski's mighty thunder,
California, we're for you.

Sons of California, brave and bold,
Fight the battle for the Blue and Gold,
Brawn and brain are all in vain
Unless our spirit's there
In ev'ry son of the Golden Bear.
Through that line of steel and o'er the foe,
California's watching as you go;
Let the echoes ring our Oski,
California, we're for you.
calumnus
As guards of California's honor, we march along.
And loyal to mighty Alma Mater, we will be strong.
For we know about her glorious future
And we want to lead the way.
And when the game's done,
California's Golden Bear has carried the day.

All hail to California's glory, victors we rise.
And still our banner's proudly flying 'neath golden skies.
Marching on, our drums and bugles calling
For our glorious destiny,
While all our hearts, true,
Carry forth the Gold and Blue throughout land and "C."*
calumnus
Oh, have you seen the heavens blue, heavens blue,
When just sev'n stars are shining through, shining through
Right overhead a jovial crew?
They're joining hands to make the Bear.
Right overhead a jovial crew?
They're joining hands to make the Bear!

And oh, that Bear's a glorious sight, glorious sight,
A-circling 'round the pole all night, pole all night;
And once you've seen him, you're all right,
You've seen our California Bear.
And once you've seen him, you're all right,
You've seen our California Bear!

He has a very patient air, patient air,
He wears a Paderewski hair, 'rewski hair,
He's the center rush of the heavens I swear,
Our silent, sturdy Golden Bear.
He's the center rush of the heavens I swear,
Our silent, sturdy Golden Bear!

Oh have you seen our banner blue, banner blue?
The Golden Bear is on it too, on it too,
A Californian through and through,
Our totem, He, the Golden Bear.
A Californian through and through,
Our totem, He, the Golden Bear!

He might have been a Wolverine, Wolverine,
A Tiger, or a Badger been, Badger been,
Or yet some other beast, I ween,
He had his choice and lo a Bear.
Or yet some other beast, I ween,
He had his choice and lo a Bear!

He might have smiled on Michigan, Michigan,
Or countenanced the Harvard man, Harvard man,
Or even gone Yalesian.
But no he's California's Bear.
Or even gone Yalesian.
But no he's California's Bear.

Our totem takes us in his tow, in his tow,
He hugs our flag where e'er we go, e'er we go,
He makes it cold for every foe,
He is their frigid polar Bear.
He makes it cold for every foe,
He is their frigid polar Bear!

'Twas he that froze the U. of P., U. of P.
And Princeton and Schenectady, 'nectady,
And all the Western galaxy;
He hugged them tight, our Golden Bear.
And all the Western galaxy;
He hugged them tight, our Golden Bear!
calumnus
Rumbling, grumbling, loud upon the air,
Sounds the growling of the mighty Bear.
Californians gather 'round his Lair,
And march to Victory.

We're on the way, Hey! Hey!
Go all the way, Hey! Hey!

Marching along for California
We stride beside the fighting Bear.
Shouting loud the challenge of our battle cry,
As high across the sky,
Our banner's proudly flying.

On for California,
Rolls the tide, Stand aside, Have a care!
For in a mighty throng,
We swing along 'neath Blue and Gold so fair,
And march to Victory.
Make way for the Bear!
calumnus
Our sturdy Golden Bear,
Is watching from the skies,
Looks down upon our colors fair,
And guards us from his lair.
Our banner Gold and Blue,
The symbol on it too,
Means FIGHT! for California.
For California through and through!

Stalwarts girded for the fray,
Will strive for victory,
Their Alma Mater's feet will lay,
That brain and brawn will win the day.
Our mighty sons and true
Will strive for us anew,
And FIGHT! for California,
For California through and through!
01Bear
OsoDorado said:

Nice article, but still not crystal clear as to branding recommendations (other than rejecting "Cal Berkeley" and embracing "California").

All good as far as it goes, but it doesn't recognize that Cal has a rather unique and prestigious academic identity that is not necessarily associated with its athletic identity.

To recognize the difference yet embrace both identities, not much has to change, except emphasis.

How about:

1) "The University of California," "The University of California, Berkeley," or as a shorthand, simply "Berkeley" when referencing academics; and

2) "The University of California," "California," or simply "Cal" -- note no allusion at all to "Berkeley" -- when referencing our athletics programs ? As Mike Silver pointed out, "Michigan" didn't need to be tied to Ann Arbor and "Alabama" didn't need to be related to Tuscaloosa for "branding" purposes in athletics.

Simple!

I agree with Mike Silver, Cal should incorporate "California" more into its academic achievements. It's not a coincidence that the "Berkeley" moniker came to dominate in academia, as Cal started making great strides there in the 1950s and 60s, just as the UC system was taking hold, forcing its multiversity idea on Cal, and beginning to strip our alma mater of the "University of California," "California," and "Cal" names in a bid to make Cal equal to the other UC schools and spreading the prestige of the "University of California" to Cal's sister schools. There's no need to repeat the mistakes of Clark Kerr and his ilk. To quote Felix Frankfurter, "[w]isdom too often never comes, and so one ought not to reject it merely because it comes late."

To that end, I've been referring to Cal as "Cal" even when speaking with others who have no idea what that appellation means. I happily inform them that "Cal" is short for "California," which is the "University of California." If the auditor asks whether I mean UCLA, I quickly disabuse him/her of that misapprehension and reply that UCLA is merely a directional school that is, at best, a subsidiary of the actual University of California, which is in Berkeley.

I do this not only in English, but also in Chinese, where I refer to Cal as "jiada," and explain that's short for "jiazhoudaxue." If they're still confused as to what I mean, I then explain that Berkeley is the only University of California ("jiazhoudaxue"). That's usually enough for them, since it's common to refer to universities by one or two words before "da" in Chinese (and in a number of other east Asian languages). But if they ask about the other UC schools, I explain that they're satellite schools. So far, no one has had a problem with this. Instead, I've converted a number of people into referring to Cal as "jiada" in Chinese.

In short, there is no reason Cal should concede the use of "Cal," "California," or the "University of California" as its name. It is, and has been (since 1868), the University of California. Just because the UC system bureaucrats want to appropriate the name doesn't mean Cal should concede. Neither, should Cal alumni (nor Cal fans). Rather, we should continue to stand fast in referring to alma mater dear as "Cal," "California," and the "University of California."

As for the "Berkeley" brand, fold it into the University of California brand (or get rid of it altogether). Explain that Berkeley is the city where the University of California is located, but that the school is not properly known as "Berkeley" any more than Stanford is known as "Palo Alto," Beijing University ("beida") is known as "Beijing,", the University of Taipei "taida") is known as "Taipei," the University of Tokyo ("todai") is known as "Tokyo,", or the University of Seoul ("seoshipdae") is known as "Seoul.". The thing is, people are intelligent enough to comprehend that the "University of California" and "Cal" is the same school as "Berkeley." Heck, the really smart ones will also stop referring to the university as "Berkeley" and will instead refer to it as "Cal," "California," "the University of California," or the local language equivalent.
01Bear
okaydo said:

We are the Mighty Cal Berkeley Bears,
The best team in the West.
We're marching on to victory,
To conquer all the rest.
We are the Mighty Cal Berkeley Bears
Triumphant evermore.
You can hear from far and near,
The Mighty Cal Berkeley Bear roar!
C! (3 claps)
B! (3 claps)
B! (3 claps)
C-B-B! Fight! Fight! Fight!

*vomit*
CNHTH
okaydo said:

Big C said:

okaydo, Silver didn't seem to be super anti-Berkeley like some folks here are, but he did mention the part about the Berkeley guy being a slave-holder and speculated that everybody may be moving away from that name, down the road.

Mainly, he was pro-California and even lauded the Dykes-regime for running out with the state flag.

For these reasons, many of us advocate a "Berkeley" in smallish font on the unis or the field/court, but no other mention of it. Then, if "Berkeley" goes south, we can just drop it.

Yeah, I would be uncomfortable totally dropping the Berkeley and going solely with "California" given the Spanish colonial oppression associated with that name.

Assigning 21st century morals to 18th century world events is probably the dumbest ****ing thing I've seen lately. And I've seen a lot of dumb **** these past 7 years.
calumnus
okaydo said:

Big C said:

okaydo, Silver didn't seem to be super anti-Berkeley like some folks here are, but he did mention the part about the Berkeley guy being a slave-holder and speculated that everybody may be moving away from that name, down the road.

Mainly, he was pro-California and even lauded the Dykes-regime for running out with the state flag.

For these reasons, many of us advocate a "Berkeley" in smallish font on the unis or the field/court, but no other mention of it. Then, if "Berkeley" goes south, we can just drop it.

Yeah, I would be uncomfortable totally dropping the Berkeley and going solely with "California" given the Spanish colonial oppression associated with that name.

California is named after the main character in a 16th century Spanish novel: Calafia, an extremely beautiful, strong, intelligent and wise, black Muslim warrior queen who ruled over the island of California, a beautiful, wealthy, magical and technologically advanced island kingdom inhabited only by women. In addition to her fleet and Amazon warriors (who wear armor made of gold because it is so abundant and there is no other metal in California) Calafia had a squadron of griffons which her warriors could ride.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calafia
smh
calumnus said:

California is named after Calafia, an extremely beautiful, strong, intelligent and wise, black Muslim warrior queen who ruled over the island of California, a beautiful, bountiful, magical and technologically advanced country inhabited only by women.

huh, never heard of our namesake before.. thanks calumnus!
okaydo
calumnus said:

okaydo said:

Big C said:

California is named after the main character in a 16th century Spanish novel: Calafia, an extremely beautiful, strong, intelligent and wise, black Muslim warrior queen who ruled over the island of California, a beautiful, wealthy, magical and technologically advanced island kingdom inhabited only by women. In addition to her fleet and Amazon warriors (who wear armor made of gold because it is so abundant and there is no other metal in California) Calafia had a squadron of griffons which her warriors could ride.

Who named California "California"?
dimitrig
okaydo said:

calumnus said:

okaydo said:

Big C said:

Who named California "California"?

"The area's first ever branding as California came in 1562, when a map of the area was made with California's name right at the tip of Baja California. Swagerty said the cartographer, Deigo Gutirrez, associated the area with the phrase "Calida Fornax" - which translates to "hot, fiery furnace."

Link:

https://www.abc10.com/amp/article/news/history/how-california-got-its-name/103-a471dc13-3bde-4b4b-90ae-9c926e3e47a9
JSC 76
calumnus said:

Stanfurd's men will soon be routed
By our dazzling "C",
And when we serpentine,
Their red will turn to green,
In our hour of victory!

When I get too depressed about our fading traditions, I pause and reflect that some poor Old Blue from the class of 1928 was probably devastated when we stopped serpentining.

sycasey
Just going to continue repeating this:

Keep calling the athletic teams "California," or "Cal" for short.

Add some smaller branding on uniform and court/field designs to indicate that the school is in Berkeley.

Done.
upsetof86
01Bear said:

OsoDorado said:

Nice article, but still not crystal clear as to branding recommendations (other than rejecting "Cal Berkeley" and embracing "California").

All good as far as it goes, but it doesn't recognize that Cal has a rather unique and prestigious academic identity that is not necessarily associated with its athletic identity.

To recognize the difference yet embrace both identities, not much has to change, except emphasis.

How about:

1) "The University of California," "The University of California, Berkeley," or as a shorthand, simply "Berkeley" when referencing academics; and

2) "The University of California," "California," or simply "Cal" -- note no allusion at all to "Berkeley" -- when referencing our athletics programs ? As Mike Silver pointed out, "Michigan" didn't need to be tied to Ann Arbor and "Alabama" didn't need to be related to Tuscaloosa for "branding" purposes in athletics.

Simple!

I agree with Mike Silver, Cal should incorporate "California" more into its academic achievements. It's not a coincidence that the "Berkeley" moniker came to dominate in academia, as Cal started making great strides there in the 1950s and 60s, just as the UC system was taking hold, forcing its multiversity idea on Cal, and beginning to strip our alma mater of the "University of California," "California," and "Cal" names in a bid to make Cal equal to the other UC schools and spreading the prestige of the "University of California" to Cal's sister schools. There's no need to repeat the mistakes of Clark Kerr and his ilk. To quote Felix Frankfurter, "[w]isdom too often never comes, and so one ought not to reject it merely because it comes late."

To that end, I've been referring to Cal as "Cal" even when speaking with others who have no idea what that appellation means. I happily inform them that "Cal" is short for "California," which is the "University of California." If the auditor asks whether I mean UCLA, I quickly disabuse him/her of that misapprehension and reply that UCLA is merely a directional school that is, at best, a subsidiary of the actual University of California, which is in Berkeley.

I do this not only in English, but also in Chinese, where I refer to Cal as "jiada," and explain that's short for "jiazhoudaxue." If they're still confused as to what I mean, I then explain that Berkeley is the only University of California ("jiazhoudaxue"). That's usually enough for them, since it's common to refer to universities by one or two words before "da" in Chinese (and in a number of other east Asian languages). But if they ask about the other UC schools, I explain that they're satellite schools. So far, no one has had a problem with this. Instead, I've converted a number of people into referring to Cal as "jiada" in Chinese.

In short, there is no reason Cal should concede the use of "Cal," "California," or the "University of California" as its name. It is, and has been (since 1868), the University of California. Just because the UC system bureaucrats want to appropriate the name doesn't mean Cal should concede. Neither, should Cal alumni (nor Cal fans). Rather, we should continue to stand fast in referring to alma mater dear as "Cal," "California," and the "University of California."

As for the "Berkeley" brand, fold it into the University of California brand (or get rid of it altogether). Explain that Berkeley is the city where the University of California is located, but that the school is not properly known as "Berkeley" any more than Stanford is known as "Palo Alto," Beijing University ("beida") is known as "Beijing,", the University of Taipei "taida") is known as "Taipei," the University of Tokyo ("todai") is known as "Tokyo,", or the University of Seoul ("seoshipdae") is known as "Seoul.". The thing is, people are intelligent enough to comprehend that the "University of California" and "Cal" is the same school as "Berkeley." Heck, the really smart ones will also stop referring to the university as "Berkeley" and will instead refer to it as "Cal," "California," "the University of California," or the local language equivalent.

For being an internationally versed person you seem to willfully ignore that Berkeley is the recognized name of our alma mater WW. I have mentioned the UC System to informed listeners and they shake there head like I am explaining bureaucracy or a tax form to them. I don't blame them. I always tell people I went to Berkeley. I am not against Cal or the University of California but I don't at all associate my experience with that notion.
calumnus
upsetof86 said:

01Bear said:

OsoDorado said:

How about:

Simple!

For being an internationally versed person you seem to willfully ignore that Berkeley is the recognized name of our alma mater WW. I have mentioned the UC System to informed listeners and they shake there head like I am explaining bureaucracy or a tax form to them. I don't blame them. I always tell people I went to Berkeley. I am not against Cal or the University of California but I don't at all associate my experience with that notion.

Context is decisive. Academics vs. sports. I use "Berkeley" when referring to my education and "Cal" or "California" when referring to my college team. Usually the other context doesn't matter. The value of my education is not impacted by the performance of the sports teams and the we don't get extra points on the scoreboard for Nobel Prizes.

Occasionally you have to say "Berkeley and Cal are the same school. The University of California's flagship campus is located in Berkeley, California and the campus has long been known by that name, but as the original University of California campus we have always competed as California or Cal for short, just like other state flagship schools like Texas, North Carolina, Virginia, Michigan."

I know the knee jerk reaction is to have one identity and I used to feel the same way, but I've come to accept our dual identity and now see it as a benefit. "Berkeley" was partly a desire to be seen as a elite private school. However, that limits the appeal of our team to unaffiliated fans. As the state's flagship, our team represents the state and "California" is the most inclusive and welcoming to the general public,
concordtom
bearister said:

*Hanging in my garage

You need to get better seats than those, Bear.
01Bear
upsetof86 said:

01Bear said:

OsoDorado said:

How about:

Simple!

Oh, I get that Cal is known as "Berkeley" (or the local language equivalent) around the world. But, again, that's due to (1) ignorance of Cal's rightful name and (2) the UC system bureaucracy in the 1950s and 1960s who did their darndest to strip the University of California identity from our alma mater.

As to the first point, I'm happy to educate others as to the rightful name of our school (just like I'm happy to inform them the real name of our rivals is Leland Stanford Junior University ). Usually, the recipients appreciate my explanation and adopt the same name for Cal. This is especially the case for those from other countries. Some Americans, especially those from our own state, will then try to confuse the matter by saying something stupid like, "Cal State Berkeley?" This after I just explained that we're the University of California.

As to the second point, I see no reason to let the idiocy of a previous generation of bureaucrats continue unchecked. Previous generations of bureaucrats once believed that leaded gasoline wouldn't harm anyone. Fortunately, wiser heads prevailed (read: they eventually listened to the scientists) and they finally switched the state to unleaded gasoline. It's time for wiser heads to prevail here and for the "University of California" name be returned solely to Cal. Let the other schools in the UC system call themselves " UCLA," UCI," UCSF Law," "UCSF Med," etc. if they want. But our school should be known as the "University of California" and/or "California" (or "Cal" for short).

That said, like calumnus, I can also accept Cal's dual identity. As someone who is internationally versed, I also answer to multiple names, depending on context. I have no major issues with Cal also being referred to as "Berkeley." However, "University of California" should be restored as only the school's name.
calumnus
JSC 76 said:

calumnus said:

Stanfurd's men will soon be routed
By our dazzling "C",
And when we serpentine,
Their red will turn to green,
In our hour of victory!

When I get too depressed about our fading traditions, I pause and reflect that some poor Old Blue from the class of 1928 was probably devastated when we stopped serpentining.

Bring back serpentining!
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.