Official BI Jared Goff vs Faux Hawk Boy Game Thread

11,122 Views | 144 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by oski003
bearister
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
okaydo
bear2034
Coach Campbell dropping f-bombs in the locker room is effing contagious, man.
bear2034
okaydo said:

I was scrolling through my Twitter timeline.

And one LA Times headline read that Goff "barely" got revenge.

Then I saw this, a more positive spin. And it's by Sam Farmer, who has been covering Goff since the draft.

I like the headlines from the Detroit Free Press.
golden sloth
I'm obviously happy for the Lions, but I do wonder if they come out flat next week. The whole city of Detroit is treating this playoff win as if they've won the superbowl, and it will be hard for the team to focus and prepare.

In many ways, I fear they will have a 'let down' game.
ducky23
golden sloth said:

I'm obviously happy for the Lions, but I do wonder if they come out flat next week. The whole city of Detroit is treating this playoff win as if they've won the superbowl, and it will be hard for the team to focus and prepare.

Yeah but…they're playing either TB or the eagles.

I'm hoping the niners get to play TB or the Eagles, but I doubt I'm gojng to get that lucky
bear2034
golden sloth said:

Enjoy the ride.
okaydo
OneTopOneChickenApple
golden sloth said:

But the game is in Detroit, and will be rocking. If this were a road game, a let down would be a bigger possibility.
okaydo
bearister
OneTopOneChickenApple said:

golden sloth said:

But the game is in Detroit, and will be rocking. If this were a road game, a let down would be a bigger possibility.

My guess is that Jared will be looser in the next game. So much pressure and baggage playing the Faux Hawk.
bearister
okaydo said:

"It's good to be the King."
Cal88
The Rams looked a lot better than the Lions' next opponent, based on this first half of NFC wildcard game.
sycasey
Cal88 said:

The Rams looked a lot better than the Lions' next opponent, based on this first half of NFC wildcard game.
The Rams were arguably the 2nd or 3rd best NFC team at the end of the season.
sycasey
This late season Eagles meltdown has been fascinating. From 10-1 to 1-7 and a first round exit.
bear2034
Tampa Bay also won 5 of their last 6 regular season games.
okaydo
Bear Naked Ladies
sycasey said:

This late season Eagles meltdown has been fascinating. From 10-1 to 1-7 and a first round exit.
It's just like rooting for Cal football, except the 10-1 start is a 3-0 start against three OOC cupcakes and then that first big conference matchup comes.
okaydo
Bearly Clad
bearister said:

golden sloth said:

My guess is that Jared will be looser in the next game. So much pressure and baggage playing the Faux Hawk.
Jared and the Lions did comfortably beat the Buccs by two scores in Tampa earlier this season when half the Lions team was hurt and out (including both their RBs). That doesn't guarantee a win and anything can happen any given Sunday but they match up well against them and will have home field advantage. I think it'll be close but I have the Lions by a fg
bear2034
Detroit's game against Tampa Bay will feature the number one draft picks from both the 2016 and 2018 NFL drafts.

One thing that was overlooked in the game against the Rams was that Carson Wentz, who Goff was always compared to not too long ago, was sitting on the bench.
bearister
"The roar was primal. It was visceral. It was generational. It felt like it couldn't get louder, and then it did. It felt like it couldn't last, and then it never waned. It rattled the beams of Ford Field and poured out of television sets across the country.

These magical January nights, these playoff runs, have a way of galvanizing communities. They transcend city and suburb, boss and employee. They bridge races and religions and political persuasions.

They cause old friends to text and new ones to be made. They connect those who moved away with a sense of home. They bring parents and kids, no matter the age, in front of the same screen."

Dan Wetzel, Yahoo Sports
Cal88
Bearly Clad said:

bearister said:

golden sloth said:

Jared and the Rams did comfortably beat the Buccs by two scores in Tampa earlier this season when half the Lions team was hurt and out (including both their RBs). That doesn't guarantee a win and anything can happen any given Sunday but they match up well against them and will have home field advantage. I think it'll be close but I have the Lions by a fg

It sets up a nice NFC championship homecoming trip for Goff at the 9ers, potentially...
golden sloth
bearister said:

"The roar was primal. It was visceral. It was generational. It felt like it couldn't get louder, and then it did. It felt like it couldn't last, and then it never waned. It rattled the beams of Ford Field and poured out of television sets across the country.

These magical January nights, these playoff runs, have a way of galvanizing communities. They transcend city and suburb, boss and employee. They bridge races and religions and political persuasions.

They cause old friends to text and new ones to be made. They connect those who moved away with a sense of home. They bring parents and kids, no matter the age, in front of the same screen."

Dan Wetzel, Yahoo Sports

Cal could really use a moment or two like that.
BearSD
golden sloth said:

bearister said:

Dan Wetzel, Yahoo Sports

That, unfortunately, is what pro sports has over college sports. Very, very few college teams that have been consistently bad for 30+ years (like the Detroit Lions have) would "galvanize" an entire metro area or region by winning a single playoff game. An NFL team can do that. Maybe an NBA or MLB team could.
bearister
My fandom travels with Jared. It just seemd wrong being a Rams fan, but Goff somehow made it feel right.

It felt great when they traded him and I could go back to hating an LA sports team.

When Detroit became my new team, and they were rotten that first season Goff arrived it made me feel like the loyal Raider fan I was those last 30+ years that they sucked.

Then Detroit became a good team, and it brought back the memories from my boyhood and young adulthood when the Raiders were a good team.
Full circle.
Logy
BearSD said:

golden sloth said:

bearister said:

Dan Wetzel, Yahoo Sports

Very, very few college teams that have been consistently bad for 30+ years

Isn't this a Cal football board?
golden sloth
BearSD said:

golden sloth said:

bearister said:

Dan Wetzel, Yahoo Sports

That, unfortunately, is what pro sports has over college sports. Very, very few college teams that have been consistently bad for 30+ years (like the Detroit Lions have) would "galvanize" an entire metro area or region by winning a single playoff game. An NFL team can do that. Maybe an NBA or MLB team could.

My parents moved to Fort Meyers in Florida for a few years when they retired, and the same thing happened when Florida Gulf Coast made their tourney run, so it is possible.

The bay area will never get that kind of bandwagon momentum as there are too many people trying to be cool or make an irrelevant cultural point.
bearister
Logy said:

BearSD said:

golden sloth said:

bearister said:

Dan Wetzel, Yahoo Sports

Very, very few college teams that have been consistently bad for 30+ years

Isn't this a Cal football board?

Good point…….

oski003
https://www.cnn.com/2024/01/19/business/detroit-lions-ticket-prices-nfl-playoffs-economy/index.html

$1,000 a ticket on average!
bear2034
Quote:

Even Eminem might cringe at how much it costs to witness the Lions make their Cinderella run for the Super Bowl.
okaydo
Bear Naked Ladies
okaydo said:

Thanks for the one day late post, Twitter spam bot
okaydo
Bear Naked Ladies said:

okaydo said:

Thanks for the one day late post, Twitter spam bot

Sorry. The point is this is how the NFL views Goff.
Cal88
okaydo said:

Cal88 said:

okaydo said:

Aaron Rodgers looked like a bust his first season.

Mike McCarthy came in for year 2 and hired a coach Tom Clements, who put Rodgers through 3 off seasons of QB school before Rodger started his first game.

Who is the Packers current QB coach? Tom Clements.

Yeah, no, Rodgers was not going to be a bust, he was the real thing coming out of Cal and wasn't made by some QB coach

I didn't say Rodgers was going to be a bust. I said he looked like a bust his rookie year.

This is Bob McGinn, longtime Packers beat reporter, on Rodgers in 2012:

From The New York Times in 2011:

Rodgers could've ended up great with other coaches. Perhaps. We'll never know.

But we do know that the same guy who coached Rodgers for three offseasons before he ever started a game and continued to coach him as he won his first Super Bowl and MVP is the same guy who coached Jordan Love the last two offseasons. And Love has looked incredible, too, after initially not looking so good.

If anything, yesterday's game showed that Love lacked fundamentals, making erratic decisions and poor throws, this is a game that an above avg QB could have won for GB.

It also confirmed that the notion that Clements was the main factor in Rodgers excelling was a stretch. if anything, Rodgers might have been held back by the GB staff and administration, who have failed to capitalize enough on a once in a generation talent.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.