New sports streaming venture

1,695 Views | 27 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by BearSD
philbert
How long do you want to ignore this user?

golden sloth
I'm confused. Is it on a separate app or ESPN+, Hulu, and Max?

Nonetheless, I'd imagine this enables a lot of people to cut the cable cord if the price is right.
Bobodeluxe
All subscribers will have access to ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, SEC Network, ACC Network, ESPNews, ABC, Fox, Fox Sports 1, Fox Sports 2, Big Ten Network, TNT, TBS and truTV, as well as streaming outlet ESPN Plus.

No pac 2?
01Bear
Sounds like a monopoly to me.
Oski87
Does your cable package sound like a monopoly? I am sure they will all be on Cable and ATT, etc as well. But really they are just saying, if you want to cut the cord, you have to buy us.
wifeisafurd
Doesn't this change the entire sports landscape big time?

Joint venture between Disney, Fox and Warner Bros. will each own a one-third stake of the new service and have equal board representation. They will license their sports content to the joint venture on a nonexclusive basis, allowing them to show games elsewhere, like on their linear networks or streaming service. Seems like almost all college sports are now controlled b the joint venture. Other linear providers, Apple, Amazon and other streamers seem shut out of a large potion of the content game. Any anti-trust lawyers on the board that can opine if this works?

Does this mean the joint venture can force a super football conference? Lot's of questions.

Disney, Fox and Warner Bros. Join Forces for Sports ...The New York Timeshttps://www.nytimes.com 2024/02/06 business esp...

ESPN, FOX and Warner Bros. Discovery Forming Joint ...ESPN Press Roomhttps://espnpressroom.com press-releases 2024/02
01Bear
Oski87 said:

Does your cable package sound like a monopoly? I am sure they will all be on Cable and ATT, etc as well. But really they are just saying, if you want to cut the cord, you have to buy us.

As a general rule, historically, cable has been a government sanctioned cable. Same with phone lines. The local (usually city or county) governments grant a local cable company (or phone company) the right to run their service in the city or county to each home.

To answer your question, yes, cable is a monopoly.

MrGPAC
Oski87 said:

On top of any local options (Xfinity, Charter, Uverse, etc), off the top of my head:
DirecTV
Dish Network
YoutubeTV
Hulu Live TV
Sling TV

Just to name a few. Tons of options to go with to get cable channels. Internet providers are often far more monopolistic....and don't get me started about power companies (thanks for yet another rate hike PG&E, so glad I can go to a competitor...not).

As long as the joint venture continues broadcasting games on all of these providers there isn't a huge problem from the consumer perspective. There is a reason you can get Comcast Sports Net on all of these providers and Comcast didn't shut them all out.

That said, from the content provider side this is a bit troublesome. Fox and ESPN were pitted against eachother for the B1G and SEC rights and that is why they went for such exhorbinant rates. The Pac12 found out what happens when those two don't bid against eachother in terms of market value... What happens when the B1G contract renegotiations happen and no one is bidding against this new joint venture? Or when the only competition is a paultry offering from AppleTV who may or may not even be interested any more at that point?
82gradDLSdad
wifeisafurd said:

Doesn't this change the entire sports landscape big time?

Joint venture between Disney, Fox and Warner Bros. will each own a one-third stake of the new service and have equal board representation. They will license their sports content to the joint venture on a nonexclusive basis, allowing them to show games elsewhere, like on their linear networks or streaming service. Seems like almost all college sports are now controlled b the joint venture. Other linear providers, Apple, Amazon and other streamers seem shut out of a large potion of the content game. Any anti-trust lawyers on the board that can opine if this works?

Does this mean the joint venture can force a super football conference? Lot's of questions.

Disney, Fox and Warner Bros. Join Forces for Sports ...The New York Timeshttps://www.nytimes.com 2024/02/06 business esp...

ESPN, FOX and Warner Bros. Discovery Forming Joint ...ESPN Press Roomhttps://espnpressroom.com press-releases 2024/02

Not an attorney (but I play one on BI)...if this will help my poor WBD stock price I'm all for it. It's one more reminder of how bad AT&T has been for me this last decade. Career, lots of stock from 401k match and this final turd sandwich from one of its many failed ventures into other businesses it knew nothing about.
But I'm all about the greater good so subscribe to this wonderful service. You'll love it. And it's perfectly legal and not a monopoly.
okaydo
CNBC and Andrew Marchand have guestimated that this will cost in the $40s up to $50.

Currently, you can get YouTube TV with all the good sports and tons of non-sports stuff, plus an unlimited cloud DVR, for $73.
Bear_Territory
What does this mean for YouTube TV subscribers? I only watch sports (football) on linear television and get everything I need from YouTube TV.
CaliforniaEternal
The legacy media companies are consolidating because they don't have the scale to compete independently in streaming and they have saddled themselves with huge obligations including debt from acquisitions and sports rights.

The next round of sports rights bidding will include this JV vs. Amazon and YouTube, and possibly Apple and Netflix if they want to push into sports. CBS through Paramount is on the auction block and could end up in this JV or big tech. NBC is already a minor player in sports rights so they won't be a factor.
MrGPAC
CaliforniaEternal said:

The legacy media companies are consolidating because they don't have the scale to compete independently in streaming and they have saddled themselves with huge obligations including debt from acquisitions and sports rights.

The next round of sports rights bidding will include this JV vs. Amazon and YouTube, and possibly Apple and Netflix if they want to push into sports. CBS through Paramount is on the auction block and could end up in this JV or big tech. NBC is already a minor player in sports rights so they won't be a factor.
I am not so secretly routing for Florida State to get out of the ACC at huge cost ($500 million+), go to the SEC or B1G, then have their next contracts be less than what the ACC is getting at that point.

A reckoning is coming to the traditional cable model. Sports have delayed its demise so far and the providers have grossly over-spent on them to protect their very existence, but that bubble is going to burst, and future bids are going to look more like Apples and less like what the B1G / SEC are getting.
BearSD
okaydo said:

CNBC and Andrew Marchand have guestimated that this will cost in the $40s up to $50.

Currently, you can get YouTube TV with all the good sports and tons of non-sports stuff, plus an unlimited cloud DVR, for $73.
That's a good guess on pricing, given that each company in this sports bundle will be receiving the same per-subscriber fee that they currently get from cable companies.

IMO, at that price, this service won't be a game changer. As you say in your comment, it's really just a skinnier and slightly less costly bundle than something like YouTube TV. It will include ESPN+, which YTTV does not have, but won't include sports from NBC and CBS.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2024/02/06/espn-fox-warner-new-sports-streaming-service/

Quote:

According to a person with knowledge of the agreement, each channel will receive the same fee from subscribers that it receives from cable operators, which means ESPN would receive more revenue per customer than the other companies. ESPN is the most expensive channel in the cable bundle, receiving roughly $10 per customer.

01Bear
MrGPAC said:

Oski87 said:

On top of any local options (Xfinity, Charter, Uverse, etc), off the top of my head:
DirecTV
Dish Network
YoutubeTV
Hulu Live TV
Sling TV

Just to name a few. Tons of options to go with to get cable channels. Internet providers are often far more monopolistic....and don't get me started about power companies (thanks for yet another rate hike PG&E, so glad I can go to a competitor...not).

As long as the joint venture continues broadcasting games on all of these providers there isn't a huge problem from the consumer perspective. There is a reason you can get Comcast Sports Net on all of these providers and Comcast didn't shut them all out.

That said, from the content provider side this is a bit troublesome. Fox and ESPN were pitted against eachother for the B1G and SEC rights and that is why they went for such exhorbinant rates. The Pac12 found out what happens when those two don't bid against eachother in terms of market value... What happens when the B1G contract renegotiations happen and no one is bidding against this new joint venture? Or when the only competition is a paultry offering from AppleTV who may or may not even be interested any more at that point?

I'm not sure if you're trying to suggest that cable isn't a monopoly. In case you are, allow me to reply.

Of "Xfinity, Charter, Uverse, etc," which can you actually connect to your home? I'm not sure if things have changed, but years ago, only one cable company had the rights to connect the homes in a given city.

"DirecTV
Dish Network
YoutubeTV
Hulu Live TV
Sling TV" none of these is cable.

That said, with all these broadcasting companies banding together to provide one streaming service, it eliminates choices for customers. More importantly, it reduces competition, especially as to costs, for the consumer.

It's been years since I took a business law class, let alone since we covered anti-trust, but IIRC, the main thrust of anti-trust law is to prevent just this type of anti-competitive joint venture.

That said, the broadcasters will likely reply that there are other options for consumers who don't want to subscribe to their streaming service. That is, consumers can watch HGTV, Fox, NBC, ABC, etc. for entertainment. But, IMHO, that's tantamount to saying travelers don't have to fly if they want to travel since they can take the bus, trains, or ships, and even drive to travel. Yet, the federal government has frequently prevented the consolidation of various airlines on anti-trust grounds.

In short, this reeks of a monopoly to me, but I'm not an anti-trust attorney so I really can't say if it is an unlawful monopoly.
BearSD
My guess: The intention is not to control the market, it's to protect against cable, satellite, and the likes of YouTube TV offering less expensive bundles with no sports channels.
MrGPAC
01Bear said:

MrGPAC said:

Oski87 said:

DirecTV
Dish Network
YoutubeTV
Hulu Live TV
Sling TV

I'm not sure if you're trying to suggest that cable isn't a monopoly. In case you are, allow me to reply.

Of "Xfinity, Charter, Uverse, etc," which can you actually connect to your home? I'm not sure if things have changed, but years ago, only one cable company had the rights to connect the homes in a given city.

"DirecTV
Dish Network
YoutubeTV
Hulu Live TV

That said, with all these broadcasting companies banding together to provide one streaming service, it eliminates choices for customers. More importantly, it reduces competition, especially as to costs, for the consumer.

It's been years since I took a business law class, let alone since we covered anti-trust, but IIRC, the main thrust of anti-trust law is to prevent just this type of anti-competitive joint venture.

That said, the broadcasters will likely reply that there are other options for consumers who don't want to subscribe to their streaming service. That is, consumers can watch HGTV, Fox, NBC, ABC, etc. for entertainment. But, IMHO, that's tantamount to saying travelers don't have to fly if they want to travel since they can take the bus, trains, or ships, and even drive to travel. Yet, the federal government has frequently prevented the consolidation of various airlines on anti-trust grounds.

In short, this reeks of a monopoly to me, but I'm not an anti-trust attorney so I really can't say if it is an unlawful monopoly.

Well at my house I don't have any cable provider options so I'm not a great example.

Historically you got 1 and had to deal with it. Uverse and Verizon fios bit into that a bit in terms of "traditional providers", but yes, its a monopoly much like internet service providers or PG&E are.

Satellite was the first to offer real competition on cable tv, but now that we have multiple streaming providers we actually do have options....for cable tv at least...internet is getting a little bit better with 5g home internet from providers like verizon/tmobile at least offering competition, but there isn't really any hope on the horizon for power competition, at least in NorCal where we are all stuck with PG&E's whims (unless you live in a town like Santa Clara / Sacramento that does their own thing, again without choice but at least a fraction of the price).
DoubtfulBear
MrGPAC said:

CaliforniaEternal said:

I am not so secretly routing for Florida State to get out of the ACC at huge cost ($500 million+), go to the SEC or B1G, then have their next contracts be less than what the ACC is getting at that point.

A reckoning is coming to the traditional cable model. Sports have delayed its demise so far and the providers have grossly over-spent on them to protect their very existence, but that bubble is going to burst, and future bids are going to look more like Apples and less like what the B1G / SEC are getting.
If that were to happen, ESPN would reneg on their ACC deal and we will be getting our 30% share of today's G5 payouts
MrGPAC
DoubtfulBear said:

MrGPAC said:

CaliforniaEternal said:

If that were to happen, ESPN would reneg on their ACC deal and we will be getting our 30% share of today's G5 payouts

ESPN can't reneg on the deal any more than Florida State can. Contracts protect both sides...
philbert
I believe espn can has an option on the ACC contract in '27.
DoubtfulBear
MrGPAC said:

DoubtfulBear said:

MrGPAC said:

CaliforniaEternal said:

ESPN can't reneg on the deal any more than Florida State can. Contracts protect both sides...
ESPN didn't commit for 2027-2036. If there was a media implosion, they would have plenty of time to change the terms while the ACC teams are stuck for the entire duration.
MrGPAC
DoubtfulBear said:

MrGPAC said:

DoubtfulBear said:

MrGPAC said:

CaliforniaEternal said:

ESPN didn't commit for 2027-2036. If there was a media implosion, they would have plenty of time to change the terms while the ACC teams are stuck for the entire duration.

In theory their date to commit to that extension has already passed but they were given an extension. That's one of the things Florida state is complaining about.

I would suspect the renewal will be signed within a year unless FSU finds a way out and there is a max exodus.

The collapse is probably 4-5 years out at the soonest, though I do expect the profits to start slowing sooner than that
01Bear
MrGPAC said:

01Bear said:

MrGPAC said:

Oski87 said:

DirecTV
Dish Network
YoutubeTV
Hulu Live TV
Sling TV

"DirecTV
Dish Network
YoutubeTV
Hulu Live TV

Well at my house I don't have any cable provider options so I'm not a great example.

Historically you got 1 and had to deal with it. Uverse and Verizon fios bit into that a bit in terms of "traditional providers", but yes, its a monopoly much like internet service providers or PG&E are.

Satellite was the first to offer real competition on cable tv, but now that we have multiple streaming providers we actually do have options....for cable tv at least...internet is getting a little bit better with 5g home internet from providers like verizon/tmobile at least offering competition, but there isn't really any hope on the horizon for power competition, at least in NorCal where we are all stuck with PG&E's whims (unless you live in a town like Santa Clara / Sacramento that does their own thing, again without choice but at least a fraction of the price).

Yup, there are plenty of government sanctioned monopolies. You've hit on quite a few of the more common ones.
01Bear
MrGPAC said:

DoubtfulBear said:

MrGPAC said:

CaliforniaEternal said:

In the business world, people breach contracts all the time, especially when a breach is more advantageous than honoring a contract. What prevents breaches from happening more often isn't honor/integrity but the cost of breach (i.e., damages).
Bobodeluxe
"honor/integrity"

Thanks for the coffee/saliva coated iPad!
DoubtfulBear
MrGPAC said:

DoubtfulBear said:

MrGPAC said:

DoubtfulBear said:

MrGPAC said:

CaliforniaEternal said:

In theory their date to commit to that extension has already passed but they were given an extension. That's one of the things Florida state is complaining about.

I would suspect the renewal will be signed within a year unless FSU finds a way out and there is a max exodus.

The collapse is probably 4-5 years out at the soonest, though I do expect the profits to start slowing sooner than that
That's wishful thinking. CFB may become more popular abroad leading to blue bloods being worth even more vs left out teams. Or the streaming services may decide that it's not worth competing with traditional media. I doubt Amazon is recouping its investment in TNF
01Bear
Bobodeluxe said:

"honor/integrity"

Thanks for the coffee/saliva coated iPad!

Right?!?! Those words don't have a place in capitalistic models. The more's the pity.
BearSD
MrGPAC said:

DoubtfulBear said:

MrGPAC said:

DoubtfulBear said:

MrGPAC said:

There are a few milestones where we might see if the sports TV market is healthy or not healthy.

NBA will sign new TV deals to start in the 2025-26 season. They are hoping to at least double the TV money they currently get. If they get only a slight annual increase and have to farm a third of their games to Apple or Amazon to do it, that would be a sign of market weakness.

Big Ten's TV deals run through spring 2030. They will probably have their next deal finalized sometime in 2029. If their next deal has little or no increase in annual dollars, the rest of college sports will freak out. Or, if their next deal is huge and gives them the ability to add ACC or Big 12 teams at the same payout as existing Big Ten members, then there will be some movement and the rumbling could start in 2028.

Big 12 TV deal runs through spring 2031. They have to prove in the next few years that they can deliver TV audiences large enough to justify what ESPN and Fox are paying now. They also have to worry about the effects of the Big Ten's deal that is on an earlier timeline. Could be bad either way -- if the Big Ten's next deal is disappointing, it might mean there is little left in the market for the mid-2 (ACC and Big 12). But if the Big Ten gets a ton of money plus incentive to prey on the Big 12 and ACC, that's a different kind of problem.

With the ACC, the real issue is whether the Big Ten and SEC want FSU within the next few years. If they really want FSU, then they will contribute enough money to fund a big buyout payment to the ACC. If they don't, then FSU is left hoping that their dispute with the ACC gets controlled by a dishonest judge who ignores the contracts and lets them out for nothing.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.