Eli and Marshawn: Classmates?

2,130 Views | 28 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by cal06
okaydo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Marshawn is getting in, no doubt about it.

75bear
The Marshawn acceptance speech is going to be legendary.
TruffleShuffle
Would Eli even be on this list if his last name wasn't Manning?
75bear
TruffleShuffle said:

I would say Eli's two Super Bowl wins had more to do with his inclusion on the list. Without those, he'd be a borderline HOF candidate.
TruffleShuffle
This article does a nice job of laying out the case for/against Eli's HOF creds.

https://amp.foxsports.com/stories/nfl/eli-manning-hof-candidacy-complicated-are-two-super-bowls-rings-enough

As you point out, the two Super Bowls stand out, along with his durability, and having played his games in NY.

But his career .500 record, never being an All-Pro, only four Pro Bowls, middling passer rating (the article says he is currently behind Geno Smith!), and leading the league in interceptions three times aren't so impressive.
Strykur
TruffleShuffle said:

But his career .500 record, never being an All-Pro, only four Pro Bowls, middling passer rating (the article says he is currently behind Geno Smith!), and leading the league in interceptions three times aren't so impressive.
He also is the career leader in fumbles for QBs which is interesting, but despite all his warts, he is #10 in all-time passing yards, has all the NY Giants franchise records, and had one of the greatest seasons ever in 2011 (nearly 5,000 yards passing and the all-time postseason passing record), so he did enough to get in, maybe not first ballot but eventually.
wc22
Neither are first ballot. I think Marshawn gets in before Eli, who is basically Jared Goff but two rings against the Patriots.
nwbear84
I've never really understood the first ballot vs later issue for HOF voting. It's not like any of the facts change nor the competition. Either a player deserves the selection or they don't. Maybe if there is a limit on the number admitted each year it might make some sense so a deserving player gets a chance down the road, but is that the case?
Bearly Clad
Yes, there's only 5 inductees each year. Certain positions like WR see a build-up and deserving guys aren't immediately accepted then enough time goes by where other WRs are available with better stats due to the proliferation of passing offenses.

I think Eli will get in because of his name but there are lots of QBs who had top 10 all-time stats when they retired who aren't in the HOF. I think the two super bowls pushes him over the edge but mostly because both of those wins came against the patriots dynasty.

Marshawn might make it in but I doubt that he's first ballot. Remember, this list is just first time available players and doesn't include all the other guys who haven't made it yet who are still on the ballot. It's a tough row to hoe
wc22
I think Marshawn has a much better shot than Eli, actually. Neither are first ballot because of stats. As more time goes on, I think our current and future culture has shifted more to Iconic Moments than stats (truthfully, Eli doesn't have stats either), and Marshawn's many epic runs push him over the top. Eli has a single iconic throw that is really credited to the receiver. Marshawn career stats aren't HOF, but his game changing presence is, which is captured and appreciated by our Tik Tok current world.
Strykur
wc22 said:

I think Marshawn has a much better shot than Eli, actually. Neither are first ballot because of stats. As more time goes on, I think our current and future culture has shifted more to Iconic Moments than stats (truthfully, Eli doesn't have stats either), and Marshawn's many epic runs push him over the top. Eli has a single iconic throw that is really credited to the receiver. Marshawn career stats aren't HOF, but his game changing presence is, which is captured and appreciated by our Tik Tok current world.
Marshawn puts in the "Fame" in Hall of Fame more than anybody on that list, which may be enough, aside from being the most dominant runningback of his era.
okaydo
TruffleShuffle said:

okaydo
75bear said:

TruffleShuffle said:

I would say Eli's two Super Bowl wins had more to do with his inclusion on the list. Without those, he'd be a borderline HOF candidate.

Borderline!?!?

Have you seen his stats.
okaydo
wc22 said:

The thing about the Pro Football Hall of Fame is that Marshawn is an iconic player whom NFL Films loves. He definitely gets in. As for first ballot? Maybe.

All the videos below are from official NFL YouTube channels.

okaydo
wc22 said:

Neither are first ballot. I think Marshawn gets in before Eli, who is basically Jared Goff but two rings against the Patriots.

It's interesting to compare Eli and Goff's stats.

They both were No. 1 picks who made their first starts late in their rookie seasons.

They each started 7 games as rookies. Goff went 0-7. Eli went 1-6.

Through their first 8 seasons Goff and Eli each threw exactly 185 TD passes.

But Eli had 129 interceptions, while Goff had 82.

Of course Eli had 2 Super Bowl wins in his first 8 seasons.

Goff has a passer rating of 90 or above in 6 of his first 8 seasons.

Eli has a passer rating of 90 or above in 2 of his first 8 seasons.

mbBear
wc22 said:

In my mind, getting rings, let alone 2 of them, counts.
mbBear
TruffleShuffle said:

I would ask the question, if he hadn't played in New York (New Jersey) before I ask the question about his last name.
But in stats and championships, yeah, hard to discredit. I'm not going to do the research but is there a QB with similar credentials who didn't get in, because of wrong name, or, to my point, wrong location?
HearstMining
Marshawn was named to the NFL's 2010s All-Decade team at RB (along with Frank Gore, LeSean McCoy, and Adrian Peterson). That demonstrates sustained excellence and should advance his cause.
Anarchistbear
Eli is a legacy admit
01Bear
Strykur said:

wc22 said:

Marshawn puts in the "Fame" in Hall of Fame more than anybody on that list, which may be enough, aside from being the most dominant runningback of his era.

As with most (all?) Bear fans I love Marshawn. Marshawn was the most dominant RB I've personally seen play at Cal (I never saw Chuck Muncie or Russell White play). Marshawn also had himself a stellar career in the NFL, including a Super Bowl victory.* But objectively speaking, Adrian Peterson had the better numbers and was more dominant.

Of course, AP never caused an earthquake, so there is that.

* He should've had another, but Pete Carroll had a hard on for Russell Wilson and wanted to make him the Super Bowl MVP instead of Marshawn, leading to the epic game-ending goal line interception.
mbBear
Anarchistbear said:

Eli is a legacy admit
Are there any other retired QB's with two or more rings who aren't in the Hall?
Anarchistbear
mbBear said:

Anarchistbear said:

Eli is a legacy admit

Jim Plunkett
Eastern Oregon Bear
Anarchistbear said:

mbBear said:

Anarchistbear said:

Eli is a legacy admit

Jim Plunkett
Tom Brady, but that's only a temporary situation.
bearsandgiants
mbBear said:

Anarchistbear said:

Eli is a legacy admit

Big Ben
bearsandgiants
Vinatieri seems like a lock. Records galore. And 4 rings.
Strykur
bearsandgiants said:

Vinatieri seems like a lock. Records galore. And 4 rings.
I thought he stopped playing decades ago, amazing he is just now becoming eligible.

Yeah his last season was in 2019, when he was 47 years old.
mbBear
Anarchistbear said:

mbBear said:

Anarchistbear said:

Eli is a legacy admit

Jim Plunkett
Great example of stats not being close the championship pedigree...
BearGoggles
I believe NFL hall of fame selection is based on a vote of mostly media members. I wonder if Marshawn's candidacy will be impacted by his contentious relationship with the media. Journalists are often thin skinned and petty.
cal06
Marshawn is a borderline HOF candidate period, definitely not a first ballot entry.

Per the Pro Football Reference HOF monitor, Marshawn is pretty much as borderine as it gets definitionally. Just about every other RB rated above him is in the HOF or will get in (only Roger Craig is not and will not), and virtually every RB rated below him is not in the HOF (only exceptions are Paul Hornung, Larry Csonka, and Floyd Little, each playing 40+ years ago). So Marshawn is pretty much exactly on the pivot point for the HOF.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/hof/hofm_RB.htm

That said, I don't think Marshawn is losing sleep over the HOF. If he wanted it, he probably could have cemented it by playing a few more years before retirement and padding his stats. He's also probably in if Pete Carroll hands the ball off to him on the goal line and he wins Super Bowl MVP in Super Bowl XLIX, which of course was not his fault.

If he gets in, it will because he was a borderline case statistically and the voters loved him because of his personality and iconic moments. I'm rooting for that, of course.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.