UC Los Angeles Players to Poach

2,891 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by Basketball Bear
Bearly Clad
How long do you want to ignore this user?
There's a thread devoted to the news that Chip is leaving the bruins and what it means for them but what I'm really focused on is which of their players we could swipe. We added a lot to our WR room but I'd take Rico Flores if he wanted to re-transfer. Garrett DiGiorgio was a guy we were recruiting out of HS who could help us on the OL. Jay Toia is another guy we recruited who I'd love to bring in at DT and would be a big get. Acheampong the Edge transfer from Miami might be someone to look at as well to shore up our pass rush.

Idk much about their HS recruiting class or roster overall but those are the guys off the top of my head that I'd be ok taking a crack at. And maybe I'm bitter but I'd say no to Sturdivant or Oladejo coming back, we've moved past them and they chose to leave. But if the staff wanted it then I'd get on board, I'd just be less than enthused.

Did I miss anyone or anyone have someone to add? I really like their RB Carson Steele and the way he plays but RB is our strongest position group right now with Ott, Cardwell, Calloway, Thomas, Williams-Thomas, and the freshman Wiley coming in. Idk if there's a place for Steele in there right now but I wouldn't say no if he wanted to jump up to the flagship UC
CalBearinLA
Carson steele has declared for the NFL draft, i believe
Bearly Clad
That makes sense, he was a good player for them. I'd also consider taking another run at Justyn Martin though. He's still got a high ceiling and if their next coach comes in with a different system that he didn't commit to and/or enough skill players on offense defect he could be looking down the barrel of another couple years of a project while he's getting older and trying to make the NFL. I'd like to think coming in and competing for the job with us would be preferable. Funnily enough the run-heavy spread system we ran under Spav and now, presumably, under Bloesch is very similar to the Kelly system.

My top targets would be DiGiorgio and Toia to add to the trenches though
Marty
This would be a good opportunity to grab some talent while also pouring some salt into the would. Martin would definitely be worth talking to, although I'm less than familiar with the rest of their roster. I suppose that this would also be Cal's chance to consider Garbers 2.0 if he's disillusioned. The one factor that doesn't seem to be discussed so far is the conference issue. Up until now, transferring between the SoCal and NorCal schools, while a big decision, didn't involve consideration of "which conference." I wonder, going forward, using this instance as an example, how much the Big10 vs. ACC would play into a player's decision making. There are undoubtedly players who will be considering transferring who were recruited by multiple former PAC-12 schools they may reconsider who are now scattered between the Big10, Big12, ACC, and PAC-2.
Cal88
Marty said:

This would be a good opportunity to grab some talent while also pouring some salt into the would. Martin would definitely be worth talking to, although I'm less than familiar with the rest of their roster. I suppose that this would also be Cal's chance to consider Garbers 2.0 if he's disillusioned. The one factor that doesn't seem to be discussed so far is the conference issue. Up until now, transferring between the SoCal and NorCal schools, while a big decision, didn't involve consideration of "which conference." I wonder, going forward, using this instance as an example, how much the Big10 vs. ACC would play into a player's decision making. There are undoubtedly players who will be considering transferring who were recruited by multiple former PAC-12 schools they may reconsider who are now scattered between the Big10, Big12, ACC, and PAC-2.

"Do you want to play in Miami, Dallas and Boston, or Minnesota, Indiana and Iowa?"
6956bear
Bearly Clad said:

There's a thread devoted to the news that Chip is leaving the bruins and what it means for them but what I'm really focused on is which of their players we could swipe. We added a lot to our WR room but I'd take Rico Flores if he wanted to re-transfer. Garrett DiGiorgio was a guy we were recruiting out of HS who could help us on the OL. Jay Toia is another guy we recruited who I'd love to bring in at DT and would be a big get. Acheampong the Edge transfer from Miami might be someone to look at as well to shore up our pass rush.

Idk much about their HS recruiting class or roster overall but those are the guys off the top of my head that I'd be ok taking a crack at. And maybe I'm bitter but I'd say no to Sturdivant or Oladejo coming back, we've moved past them and they chose to leave. But if the staff wanted it then I'd get on board, I'd just be less than enthused.

Did I miss anyone or anyone have someone to add? I really like their RB Carson Steele and the way he plays but RB is our strongest position group right now with Ott, Cardwell, Calloway, Thomas, Williams-Thomas, and the freshman Wiley coming in. Idk if there's a place for Steele in there right now but I wouldn't say no if he wanted to jump up to the flagship UC
Agree with you regarding Sturdivant and Oladejo. Toia and DiGiorgio would be my #1 and #2 players if they enter. The TE Motavao would be somebody I would like. Benjamin Roy OG/C and Keanu Williams DL are others I would be interested in.

TJ Harden is a very good back. Cal is deep at RB but he may be too good to pass on if he enters. Rico Flores could be a stud at WR and worthy of adding. Kain Medrano at LB is a good player.

They have a few incoming frosh that I would have great interest in. Kwazi Gilmer at WR for one and Marquis Thorpe-Taylor OT for another. OT Jensen Somerville is somebody the staff recruited as well.
bearsandgiants
Why would anyone leave for the portal? I thought they all hated Chip anyway. If anything the'yre probably happy and waiting to see who gets hired. Maybe they'll get Rivera.
hbear777
Carson Steele would be 4th string at CAL, obviously

TIOA Is a difference maker, but CAL is not difficient there...but he could start for sure

get OE back-freakish ath like KEO

I'd love JMS- we have greatness at WR but that would add another level of scary for DB's and DC's to see Tobias ,Mickey and JMS running though a secondary..magnum, mavin, trond on occasion, jayden on occasion...

Well.. we don't need him. Good with Chandlers perfect throwing motion-accurate to the right guy- Tobias has Randy Moss measuarables..that dude should explode with Chandler's spot accuracy, as ong as Bloasch is legit!!!

n
Rushinbear
hbear777 said:

Carson Steele would be 4th string at CAL, obviously

TIOA Is a difference maker, but CAL is not difficient there...but he could start for sure

get OE back-freakish ath like KEO

I'd love JMS- we have greatness at WR but that would add another level of scary for DB's and DC's to see Tobias ,Mickey and JMS running though a secondary..magnum, mavin, trond on occasion, jayden on occasion...

Well.. we don't need him. Good with Chandlers perfect throwing motion-accurate to the right guy- Tobias has Randy Moss measuarables..that dude should explode with Chandler's spot accuracy, as ong as Bloasch is legit!!!

n
JMS has shown poor production for his ability. If it's a clear catch, he's got it, but tough ones not so much. And, blocking? Have yet to see it.
6956bear
UW could be well positioned to take advantage of this weird timing around Kelly leaving. Both UW and UCLA are on the quarter system. UW has several available scholarships, holes to fill along both lines and what I think is a fairly robust NIL program. Arriving for next quarter would allow for transfers to participate in Spring practice.

I expect UW and any other quarter system programs to go hard after some of the better players at UCLA should they enter the portal.

Any semester system schools will have to wait til Summer and transfers would miss Spring practice. That is a long timeframe to wait on players that are not bound by any paperwork to stay.
golden sloth
6956bear said:

UW could be well positioned to take advantage of this weird timing around Kelly leaving. Both UW and UCLA are on the quarter system. UW has several available scholarships, holes to fill along both lines and what I think is a fairly robust NIL program. Arriving for next quarter would allow for transfers to participate in Spring practice.

I expect UW and any other quarter system programs to go hard after some of the better players at UCLA should they enter the portal.

Any semester system schools will have to wait til Summer and transfers would miss Spring practice. That is a long timeframe to wait on players that are not bound by any paperwork to stay.

Ha! Making these kids go to class is kind of ridiculous. They dont choose their schools because of class, they choose because of money and opportunity. The schools only want them because of their athletic ability, so why continue the farce?
Econ141
So far no players have entered the portal since the new coach announcement so Foster is killing it so far!
Give to Cal Legends!

https://calegends.com/donation/ Do it now. Text every Cal fan you know, give them the link, tell them how much you gave, and ask them to text every Cal fan they know and do the same.
6956bear
Econ141 said:

So far no players have entered the portal since the new coach announcement so Foster is killing it so far!
I think the players wanted to see who the next coach would be. Now they know. The next week or so should be interesting to watch. While the players have 30 days to enter, unless they are approached by a quarter system program they cannot go anywhere really until Summer.

Some players may just decide to wait until the Spring transfer window starting April 15 or 16. You can absolutely bet that some players have been approached through 3rd parties already. Many probably have had lots of contact before Kelly departed. That is how it works these days.

BearoutEast67
6956bear said:

Econ141 said:

Some players may just decide to wait until the Spring transfer window starting April 15 or 16. You can absolutely bet that some players have been approached through 3rd parties already. Many probably have had lots of contact before Kelly departed. That is how it works these days.

I agree. When money talks, players will walk.
Donate to Cal's NIL at https://calegends.com/donation/
HearstMining
In that vein, I wish Cal had made a successful run at QB Gevani McCoy. I was pretty impressed with how he played against Cal - exactly like we hoped SJV would play. I bet he would take less NIL than Chandler Rogers and has two years of eligibility. I'd think Cal would be more attractive given Oregon St's current situation re Pac-2 and Jonathan Smith leaving. Maybe the kid's grades were an issue, who knows?
concernedparent
HearstMining said:

In that vein, I wish Cal had made a successful run at QB Gevani McCoy. I was pretty impressed with how he played against Cal - exactly like we hoped SJV would play. I bet he would take less NIL than Chandler Rogers and has two years of eligibility. I'd think Cal would be more attractive given Oregon St's current situation re Pac-2 and Jonathan Smith leaving. Maybe the kid's grades were an issue, who knows?
Chandler Rogers is more of a sure thing. He killed it at the g5 level. Between him and a sophomore year Mendoza, I have confidence in whoever wins the competition between them.
Basketball Bear
When the competition is over and done with I feel we will have two very competent QB's. I am confident in both be able to lead the Bears to a winning season.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.