Sent to a friend -- a good, western, Pac 10 conference based upom great tourism

966 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by bluehenbear
Gobears49
How long do you want to ignore this user?
When the Pac 12 started breaking down a few years ago and conferences started to change the makeup of the teams in their conferences, I became interested in considering Cal create a new Pac entity. When I recently read online that the ACC would, at the most, get, at most, two teams out of twelve in the 2024 college playoffs, I decided Cal should consider creatinga new conference with the added benefit of Cal visiting teams that would be a good place for fans of Cal football to visit for a two or three day weekend, with Cal visiting them every other year, and other teams in the conference could do the same. I think my idea stemmed from trip, a few years ago to Austin, to watch Cal edge Texas in a great game and go to four BBQ joints a day along visiting the Texas highlands an hour out of town to taste some decent Texas wine.

Through trial and error I have come with the teams in my newly created conference and the benefits they could provide to Cal fans if they would visited cities that offered great tourist attractioms every other year.

1 UNLV

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sports_in_the_Las_Vegas_metropolitan_area

a. I have tentatively learned today from someone who appears to be in the know that UNLV now plays all of their home games at Allegiant Stadium, home of the Raiders. Fantastic, if true. Cal fans would eat that up. Combined with all of the fun things Cal fans could do in Vegas -- gamble, great restaurants and shows, pro football, pro hockey, pro baseball (starting in 2025 -- see link above), top of the line world road racing, a bunch of minor league sports, pro golf tournaments. See link above for a complete list.

2. San Diego St. -- new football stadium, great golf courses, great beaches, food and beer, visit Mexico.

3. and 4. Cal and Stanford (all of the things you can do in the north part of San Francisco (Chinatown, Little Italy, the whalf, Alcatraz, Golden Gate Bridge, Sausalito, etc.)

5. Oregon St. -- best wineries in a state that is on par with California as making the best wines in the country an hour from
Corvaliis. Also an hour away there are beach attractions, including whale watching and beach activies/

6. Washington St. -- nothing specific that is touristy.

7. Boise St. (a high level, and improving football school that has had, I believe, a winning football season for about twenty five straight years). May have some nearby skiing nearby and plenty of country wineries (second tier) close by.

8. Fresno St. -- may have skiing an hour and a half away but not yet buitt up. I called them on this issue. Has a very good football program, run by Jeff Tedford. I read they were going to hire Troy Taylor as their coach if Tedford decided to leave.

9. San Jose St. -- actually, should be viewed as a tourist destination, as it is only an hour from San Francisco.

10. Originally, I had Hawaii on my list as a tourist destination, though I have some issues with it because of (the time it takes to fly there, which would sort of require a longer vacation to make a trip there worthwhile (maybe every fourth year rather than every two years), Hawaii has not been good at football and I have read they need a new stadium). Still, a great place to recruit football players for a visiting team).

A ten team conference would allow for nine games a year, again home and away, allowing three more games against a bevy conference of new teams in the west and the midwest, and against good competition for ranking purposes.

I think the recruiting possibilities would be excellent under the plan I descrbe and with parents incentivised to have their son go to Cal so that the parents can travel to watch their son play in a tourist location.

I almost forgot to describe the limitations that Cal now faces to land a spot in the college foothall playoffs. I have read that Cal, now being in the ACC, would have to go 11 - 1 to get into a spot in a twelve team playoff. There is talk that that the playoffs will soon be expanded to eighteen teams in a year or so, allowing more flexibility as to who gets in. There are lots of videos online that can be reviewed as to what the current rules will allow each conference to get a team in the conference in. Currently, the Big 10 and SEC are being designated as likely getting about eighty percent of those teams, or four teams each. CAL IS NOT GOING TO GET TO TRANSFER INTO ONE OF THOSE TWO CONFERENCES UNLESS THEY HAVE TWO TO FOUR VERY GOOD FOOTBALL SEASONS IN A ROW, EVEN THOUGH THERE ARE A FEW CRAPPY FOOTBALL SCHOOLS IN THOSE TWO CONFERENCES. SUCH A TRANSFER W0ULD BE GEOGRAPHICALLY UNDERABLE ANYWAY.

I think the FBS will likely expand to eighteen teams to get into FBS playoffs as twelve teams will not accommodate all of the pressure to get teams into the playoffs from 1) Big Ten, 2) SEC, 3) Big 12, 4) ACC, 5) Pac 10 and the Group of Five FBS schools.
oskiswifeshusband
Ew
FreeTrialMan
Is this Take 4? 5? Maybe 6 by now? My goodness
Eastern Oregon Bear
FreeTrialMan said:

Is this Take 4? 5? Maybe 6 by now? My goodness
Trollers gotta troll.
sonofabear51
Just no.
Start Slowly and taper off
bluehenbear
Fresno? Tourism? gtfo
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.