Rugby today

1,368 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by williamjv
chalcidbear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Starts off with reserve teams facing St. Mary's at 9:30am at Witter Field. Then we play Navy at noon. Looks to be a glorious day weatherwise. (But play will be televised on Pac12 Network).
edg64
BTW
What happens to Cal rugby after entering AAC?
75bear
edg64 said:

BTW
I really hope we're entering the ACC and not the AAC!
Eastern Oregon Bear
edg64 said:

BTW
I have little knowledge about the collegiate landscape of rugby, but the ACC had a short lived rugby conference from 2010 to 2016 when it disbanded. Since they don't have a rugby conference, I expect Cal rugby will continue on in its current arrangements. Many of the other Olympic sports are sticking with their west coast conferences though there are a couple that are already in other east coast based conferences that aren't the ACC.
Cal88
Good game today in Dublin, Ireland consolidated its the 6 Nations trophy this year:

https://www.sixnationsrugby.com/en/m6n/video/HIGHLIGHTS%20IRELAND%20V%20SCOTLAND%202024%20MENS%20GUINNESS%20SIX%20NATIONS
Cal88
One of the best games this year to conclude the 6 Nations tournament, France beat England in the last minute of regulation to finish 2nd behind Ireland. Lots of tries back and forth. Watch the try at the 0:47 mark:

https://www.sixnationsrugby.com/en/m6n/video/HIGHLIGHTS%20%7C%20FRANCE%20V%20ENGLAND%20%7C%202024%20MENS%20GUINNESS%20SIX%20NATIONS
Chabbear
Really good description of the game on the Navy website: https://navysports.com/news/2024/3/16/mens-rugby-mistakes-hurt-mids-in-loss-to-no-7-california.aspx
Dave75
Concise, comprehensive article. However, I find " The contest was briefly paused for an injury" badly understates a Cal player being taken from the field, strapped to a gurney, for an ambulance ride to a hospital.

Speaking of whom, are there updates on his condition?
TomBear

I've heard a few things but nothing official. With the intensity of the injury I'll say nothing until I've heard something concrete. Spreading rumors in a situation like this has no positive value.

From where I was sitting I didn't even actually see Max's impact on the pitch. However, on the replay it looks like he was tackled by two Navy players. One of them was a head to head contact that seemed to snap Max'x head a bit. But it was his fall to the ground which concerned me most, as his head hit and bounced back up. I don't think there was any malice on the part of the Navy player whose head hit Max's head. but as a rule tackling is supposed to be from the mid-section below. In the heat and speed of competition that's not always possible. In my last game I got a minor concussion and I have no recollection of how it happened. These things just happen, and they're an unfortunate part of the game.

As they wheeled him off, there was movement coming from his hands and at least one arm. That was, at least, somewhat encouraging.

edg64
edg64
75bear said:

edg64 said:

BTW
I really hope we're entering the ACC and not the AAC!
ACC Sorry
Speeling is not my strong point
Cal88
If you like rugby, you will like this.

TomBear
Nice find, Cal88. That's some nice ball movement against a really good All Blacks team.

Edge64, I am not at all sure what's going to happen with conference affiliation. There are some former Bears on this forum who are more plugged in than I am, and maybe they know something.

Right now, I'm only concerned with Cal defeating St. Marys this weekend. A lot hinges on how the Bears perform in Moraga.

But if I hear anything I'll try to share it in a timely manner.
williamjv
It's exciting to see the buzz around the upcoming football matches! From the reserve teams facing off against St. Mary's to the anticipated game against Navy, it's shaping up to be quite the day.
Switching gears a bit, there seems to be some chatter about the future of Cal rugby after potentially entering a new conference. While the ACC and AAC might sound similar, they're quite different beasts! Let's hope for the best outcome for Cal rugby.
In other rugby news, the 6 Nations tournament has been delivering some thrilling matches. From Ireland's consolidation of the trophy to France's nail-biting victory over England, there's been no shortage of excitement on the field.
On a more serious note, it's concerning to hear about the injury sustained by a Cal player during the recent game against Navy. Our thoughts are with him, and we're hopeful for a speedy recovery. It's a stark reminder of the physical demands and risks involved in the sport.
As we await updates on the player's condition, let's continue to support our teams and enjoy the beautiful game of rugby.

https://rugby.ca/uploads/news/images/Men15s_Senior/D4T1238-1500x800.jpg
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.