The one that got away

2,220 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 10 days ago by Strykur
Econ141
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Happened to come across this article on a former commit that some hoped would have transferred back to Cal given the 5* that went there last year (and subsequently left).

https://www.si.com/college/ucla/football/could-redshirt-freshman-qb-have-shot-starting-job-ak1987

Will be interesting to see how he pans out. Or not! I forget that I don't care about the guys outside our conference!
Give to Cal Legends!

https://calegends.com/donation/ Do it now. Text every Cal fan you know, give them the link, tell them how much you gave, and ask them to text every Cal fan they know and do the same.
eastbayyoungbear
He really, really likes UCLA. I don't think it was realistic to believe he would have transferred here.
calumnus
Econ141 said:

Happened to come across this article on a former commit that some hoped would have transferred back to Cal given the 5* that went there last year (and subsequently left).

https://www.si.com/college/ucla/football/could-redshirt-freshman-qb-have-shot-starting-job-ak1987

Will be interesting to see how he pans out. Or not! I forget that I don't care about the guys outside our conference!

Garbers played fairly well last year and this is his last year of eligibility. I could definitely see Foster bringing Martin along giving him chances to supplant Garbers but definitely prepping him to be #1 next year at a minimum.

The other "one thst got away" is Jaden Rashada, but he will likely start for ASU this year if he is fully recovered from offseason surgery on his thumb.
Grrrrah76
I remember the last ucla qb that transferred to Cal.....Devon Modster. Didn't work out so well.
southseasbear
Grrrrah76 said:

I remember the last ucla qb that transferred to Cal.....Devon Modster. Didn't work out so well.
He looked great against us, not so much for us.
calumnus
southseasbear said:

Grrrrah76 said:

He put up great numbers at UCLA: 64.6% completion 9.5 yards per attempt, 4 TDs on 0 Int for a 153 passing rating against teams like Hawaii, @UW, @Utah, Kansas State and Cal.

But that was with Fisch as his OC who made Josh Rosen look amazing too.

Modster came to Cal and got Baldwin who needed running QBs for his high school style RPO spread, not pro-style. Never got a chance in the COVID season under Musgrave who did prefer pro-style QBs but preferred trying to force Garbers into that mold. At least he got a Cal degree.

Big C

Quarterbacks... it's always hard to tell how they're gonna turn out. Like the three mentioned here on this thread:

- Modster... so-so at this level... depth guy
- Garbers... not bad, but we would never even be talking about him if it wasn't for his older brother
- Martin... we remember him because he verballed here, otherwise forget it. maybe he is figuring things out now
calumnus
Big C said:

Quarterbacks... it's always hard to tell how they're gonna turn out. Like the three mentioned here on this thread:

- Modster... so-so at this level... depth guy
- Garbers... not bad, but we would never even be talking about him if it wasn't for his older brother
- Martin... we remember him because he verballed here, otherwise forget it. maybe he is figuring things out now

So much about a QB depends on landing in the right system, the right situation where you will get ample opportunity, and not behind a very good incumbent starter or with a generational talent coming in. Plus the talent around you. Portal is very good for QBs overall.
bear2034
I thought this thread was going to be about DJ Williams.
southseasbear
calumnus said:

southseasbear said:

Grrrrah76 said:

He put up great numbers at UCLA: 64.6% completion 9.5 yards per attempt, 4 TDs on 0 Int for a 153 passing rating against teams like Hawaii, @UW, @Utah, Kansas State and Cal.

But that was with Fisch as his OC who made Josh Rosen look amazing too.

Modster came to Cal and got Baldwin who needed running QBs for his high school style RPO spread, not pro-style. Never got a chance in the COVID season under Musgrave who did prefer pro-style QBs but preferred trying to force Garbers into that mold. At least he got a Cal degree.

Did Baldwin make any QB look good? He had a running QB (albeit one with fumble problems) in Brandon McIlwain and tried to convert him to a passer. McIlwain passed for 763 yards with two touchdowns and eight interceptions.
Chapman_is_Gone
bear2034 said:

I thought this thread was going to be about DJ Williams.

DJ Williams is now 41 years old. We're all getting ****ing old LOL.
ethan0l
DJ Williams, Najee Harris, Ken Dorsey ...
Anarchistbear
We coulda been The U
Strykur
Anarchistbear said:

We coulda been The U
We can try now that we are in the ACC
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.