Rashada in transfer portal

2,473 Views | 30 Replies | Last: 14 days ago by calumnus
DMan_Cal
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Eastern Oregon Bear
He'd have to give us an enormous hometown discount before we could afford him.

Besides, we already have two #5s on our roster.
KenBurnski
Normally these messages suck but he thanked the cafeteria. I can't help it. I like him.
golden sloth
I don't know, I wouldn't invest a bunch of NIL into him. He had fairly poor stats in his injury limited season and just lost the starting job against a Michigan state transfer.
95bears
No thanks.
flounder
golden sloth said:

I don't know, I wouldn't invest a bunch of NIL into him. He had fairly poor stats in his injury limited season and just lost the starting job against a Michigan state transfer.

drama and an overly involved father/handlers, injury issues, and unimpressive performance on field. nothing more than hype.
Big C
golden sloth said:

I took the point of this thread to be, "Wow, what a surprise (sarcasm): This guy is really bouncing around.", as opposed to "Maybe we have a shot after all!"
calumnus
golden sloth said:

He was not "beat out," he is sitting out all Spring due to thumb surgery.

He was injured last year.

It all depends on what he is asking for, but there is absolutely no reason to denigrate the kid at this point. He is a local kid who likes Cal. He might still come here. He was sold a bill of goods by FSU boosters. Shoot, if someone had offered me $13 million or whatever it was to choose FSU over Cal when I was 18….

golden sloth
calumnus said:

golden sloth said:

It all depends on what he is asking for, but there is absolutely no reason to denigrate the kid at this point. He is a local kid who likes Cal. He might still come here. He was sold a bill of goods by FSU boosters. Shoot, if someone had offered me $13 million or whatever it was to choose FSU over Cal when I was 18….

I don't know where I denigrated him, all I did was state facts.

His freshman statistics were fairly poor (he was a freshman).

Someone other than him was named the starting quarterback.
Bobodeluxe
Miami is not FSU.
calumnus
Bobodeluxe said:

Miami is not FSU.

Yes, neither is Florida, where he ended up signing after verbaling to Miami. I stand corrected.
calumnus
golden sloth said:

calumnus said:

golden sloth said:

Someone else took first team reps in Spring because he is hurt. He was considered to still be the "starter" in all the articles about him transferring.
calBlitz
calumnus said:

golden sloth said:

calumnus said:

golden sloth said:

Someone else took first team reps in Spring because he is hurt. He was considered to still be the "starter" in all the articles about him transferring.
Why is he transferring? More money or does he feel ASU will continue to be bad next year?
6956bear
calBlitz said:

calumnus said:

golden sloth said:

calumnus said:

golden sloth said:

Why is he transferring? More money or does he feel ASU will continue to be bad next year?
Both. Although money is likely at the top of the list.
wifeisafurd
calumnus said:

golden sloth said:

He might still come here.

No chance unless he "divorces" his dad.
golden sloth
calumnus said:

golden sloth said:

calumnus said:

golden sloth said:

Not so fast my friend:

Jaden Rashada is expected to leave Arizona State and enter the transfer portal, as Sam Leavitt is expected to be named the starting quarterback, Arizona Sports' John Gambadoro reported Thursday.

Leavitt separated himself during spring practice and appeared on track to win the starting job as Rashada was limited in spring with a thumb injury, according to Gambadoro.

Rashada met with head coach Kenny Dillingham on Thursday to inform the coach he would look for opportunities elsewhere after playing three games as a freshman at ASU.

(That should have been quoted)

https://arizonasports.com/story/3546276/sam-leavitt-to-be-named-arizona-state-starting-quarterback-jaden-rashada-to-enter-transfer-portal/
calumnus
golden sloth said:

calumnus said:

golden sloth said:

calumnus said:

golden sloth said:

Not so fast my friend:

Jaden Rashada is expected to leave Arizona State and enter the transfer portal, as Sam Leavitt is expected to be named the starting quarterback, Arizona Sports' John Gambadoro reported Thursday.

Leavitt separated himself during spring practice and appeared on track to win the starting job as Rashada was limited in spring with a thumb injury, according to Gambadoro.

Rashada met with head coach Kenny Dillingham on Thursday to inform the coach he would look for opportunities elsewhere after playing three games as a freshman at ASU.

(That should have been quoted)

https://arizonasports.com/story/3546276/sam-leavitt-to-be-named-arizona-state-starting-quarterback-jaden-rashada-to-enter-transfer-portal/

"Separated himself" from a player who was sitting out Spring after thumb surgery? "Was on track to win…?"
If Dillingham actually named Leavitt as the starting QB for the season in April, months before Fall camp, and before Rashada entered the portal, he is either stupid, or was intentionally pushing him out so he could bring in someone else. Or this is the sour grapes after the fact story from Dillingham through Gambadoro. It would explain Rashada wanting to leave.

You are right, it is factual that between HS and a short college career he has moved around a lot.

In any case, whether the criticism of Rashada and his father are warranted or not, I thought it prudent to wait to see what our coaches think before we trash a potential local recruit and his family (general tenor of the thread). After all he has been through, it might make sense for a local kid to come home and have a Cal degree as a fall back. Or not. I just wanted to wait and see if there was mutual interest first.

Edit: Ok, I read he's visiting Georgia today and apparently has on offer from them. Carry on.
WalterSobchak
According to reddit Rashada hurt his thumb on his throwing hand lifting boxes or some such BS while moving which caused him to miss significant time during their spring practices and opened the door a crack for Leavitt who then kicked it wide open. You can't make this stuff up.
Please give to Cal Legends at https://calegends.com/donation/ and encourage everyone you know who loves Cal sports to do it too.

To be in the Top 1% of all NIL collectives we only need around 3% of alumni to give $100/mo. OR 6% to give $50/mo. Please help spread the word. "If we don't broaden this base we're dead." - Sebastabear
philly1121
calBlitz said:

calumnus said:

golden sloth said:

calumnus said:

golden sloth said:

The guy who started last year is expected to compete for starting job. Also I think a qb from Michigan state transferred over to ASU. Word is he's going to Georgia.
Pittstop
Eastern Oregon Bear said:

What has he done for any of the other programs that have fallen for his grift?
Pittstop
calumnus said:

golden sloth said:

calumnus said:

golden sloth said:

So why transfer. Again?
Pittstop
philly1121 said:

calBlitz said:

calumnus said:

golden sloth said:

calumnus said:

golden sloth said:

The guy who started last year is expected to compete for starting job. Also I think a qb from Michigan state transferred over to ASU. Word is he's going to Georgia.

So, doesn't want to "compete"?
SpecSlayer
Yea he verballed to Miami, the NIL deal fell through, so he signed a letter of intent at Florida, the NIL deal fell through, and he ultimately enrolled at ASU.

Can't fault this guy for looking for money.

It would absolutely suck to think that you'll get millions of dollars at 18, and have it snatched away not one, but two times.
Eastern Oregon Bear
Pittstop said:

Eastern Oregon Bear said:

What has he done for any of the other programs that have fallen for his grift?
I wasn't suggesting Rashada would be better than who we have now at QB. Probably, but Mendoza and Rogers are good enough. I was just pointing out that we don't have the NIL money he would demand. We would be better off spending that NIL money on 2 or 3 players at positions of greater need.
Big C
Pittstop said:

calumnus said:

golden sloth said:

calumnus said:

golden sloth said:

So why transfer. Again?

That's what some of the guys do now. A lot of the basketball players are as bad or worse. It would probably be in his best long-term interests to find a system that fits him and stick with it for a couple of years, at least. Also, be sure to come out of this whole thing with a degree.

But there's another way of looking at it: Most guys don't end up playing on Sundays anyway, so why not try and have a few hundred grand in the bank at age 22? Especially if their family doesn't have much, I gotta respect that approach.

Of course, this kind of sucks for the fans... and also for the players that end up getting screwed, but that's where we're at now. Sad.
calumnus
SpecSlayer said:

Yea he verballed to Miami, the NIL deal fell through, so he signed a letter of intent at Florida, the NIL deal fell through, and he ultimately enrolled at ASU.

Can't fault this guy for looking for money.

It would absolutely suck to think that you'll get millions of dollars at 18, and have it snatched away not one, but two times.

Agreed. An alternative to viewing him as a "grifter" is viewing him as a young victim of fraud by wealthy adults.
calumnus
Pittstop said:

philly1121 said:

calBlitz said:

calumnus said:

golden sloth said:

calumnus said:

golden sloth said:

Was Leavitt already named the starter for the coming season or not?

If he signs with Georgia, I am sure there will be competition.
calumnus
Big C said:

Pittstop said:

calumnus said:

golden sloth said:

calumnus said:

golden sloth said:

So why transfer. Again?

That's what some of the guys do now. A lot of the basketball players are as bad or worse. It would probably be in his best long-term interests to find a system that fits him and stick with it for a couple of years, at least. Also, be sure to come out of this whole thing with a degree.

But there's another way of looking at it: Most guys don't end up playing on Sundays anyway, so why not try and have a few hundred grand in the bank at age 22? Especially if their family doesn't have much, I gotta respect that approach.

Of course, this kind of sucks for the fans... and also for the players that end up getting screwed, but that's where we're at now. Sad.

Exactly. You can't blame individual players for doing the best they can given the system, a system they did not create. Well, apparently some people can.
01Bear
Pittstop said:

calumnus said:

golden sloth said:

calumnus said:

golden sloth said:

So why transfer. Again?

I'm loving the irony of this comment being made by a guy with an username of "Pittstop."
wifeisafurd
calumnus said:

Pittstop said:

philly1121 said:

calBlitz said:

calumnus said:

golden sloth said:

calumnus said:

golden sloth said:

Georgia is a great choice for him. Great program, with good WRs and Furd Portal transfer Ben Yorasek who will make a QB look good and an excellent oline.

Smart has said he wants a scholarship quarterback who is "big" and with real experience who can back up Beck this season and compete with Stockton (who is viewed by most experts as a back-up) and Puglisi (who is injured - knee) to be the starting quarterback in 2025. Georgia previously had commitment of UNLV quarterback Jayden Maiava back in January, but Maiava decommitted and went to SC. Rashada has the experience from his first year at ASU and has the eligibility to be the Georgia QB for a few years after Beck moves on from Georgia.
Georgia has made it clear it prefers to use NIL to reward players who have performed on the roster, and pays its players big bucks. So if Rashad performs, he has a chance at some major coin.

calumnus
wifeisafurd said:

calumnus said:

Pittstop said:

philly1121 said:

calBlitz said:

calumnus said:

golden sloth said:

calumnus said:

golden sloth said:

Georgia is a great choice for him. Great program, with good WRs and Furd Portal transfer Ben Yorasek who will make a QB look good and an excellent oline.

Smart has said he wants a scholarship quarterback who is "big" and with real experience who can back up Beck this season and compete with Stockton (who is viewed by most experts as a back-up) and Puglisi (who is injured - knee) to be the starting quarterback in 2025. Georgia previously had commitment of UNLV quarterback Jayden Maiava back in January, but Maiava decommitted and went to SC. Rashada has the experience from his first year at ASU and has the eligibility to be the Georgia QB for a few years after Beck moves on from Georgia.
Georgia has made it clear it prefers to use NIL to reward players who have performed on the roster, and pays its players big bucks. So if Rashad performs, he has a chance at some major coin.

Moreover, the above scenario allows him to take a medical redshirt this year while healing from surgery and learning playbook.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.