QR Codes in Memorial This Fall

1,874 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by Sebastabear
Sebastabear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
So this week's project is I had a bunch of QR codes created that we are going to put up around Memorial for the games this fall. And with Learfield and Cal's consent, we are going to put them up on the scoreboard at various points in the game. Idea is people can use their cell phones to scan the QR code and make a direct donation to the California Legends Collective if they are inspired. I've done it a few times myself and it works pretty well.

On the scoreboard QR codes, ideally I was going to have them flashed up after every touchdown on offense (maybe extra every time Ott takes it to the house) and after every take away on defense. The problem is that someone else has already purchased the touchdowns from Learfield and I was told it's just too chaotic with turnovers in terms of replays and potential commercial breaks to get this up after those on defense. So instead, I am going to have to rely on the folks in the video booth to find times to insert these when they would be most impactful. Keep your eyes open for them during the game.

We are also putting static QR codes around the stadium. I had large pop-up banners made that we will put on the concourse and in a few other places. I also had about one billion napkins made for the clubs with our QR codes as well as little signs that will go on the tables in acrylic holders.

I don't necessarily expect this to raise a ton of money, but who knows? Hopefully our fans will surprise me. But every bit helps and we definitely could use the assistance. If this works, I will do the same thing at the basketball games later in the year.

Pictures below. These were of course, taken in Chez Sebastabear (so you have to use your imagination to visualize them in a more appropriate context) but please keep your eyes open for them in the stadium and give what you can. None of this works without you all.

Go Bears!

Econ141
I will definitely contribute through that channel. Thank you for being tireless in supporting Cal football!
Give to Cal Legends!

https://calegends.com/donation/ Do it now. Text every Cal fan you know, give them the link, tell them how much you gave, and ask them to text every Cal fan they know and do the same.
TheFiatLux
Sebastabear said:

So this week's project is I had a bunch of QR codes created that we are going to put up around Memorial for the games this fall. And with Learfield and Cal's consent, we are going to put them up on the scoreboard at various points in the game. Idea is people can use their cell phones to scan the QR code and make a direct donation to the California Legends Collective if they are inspired. I've done it a few times myself and it works pretty well.

On the scoreboard QR codes, ideally I was going to have them flashed up after every touchdown on offense (maybe extra every time Ott takes it to the house) and after every take away on defense. The problem is that someone else has already purchased the touchdowns from Learfield and I was told it's just too chaotic with turnovers in terms of replays and potential commercial breaks to get this up after those on defense. So instead, I am going to have to rely on the folks in the video booth to find times to insert these when they would be most impactful. Keep your eyes open for them during the game.

We are also putting static QR codes around the stadium. I had large pop-up banners made that we will put on the concourse and in a few other places. I also had about one billion napkins made for the clubs with our QR codes as well as little signs that will go on the tables in acrylic holders.

I don't necessarily expect this to raise a ton of money, but who knows? Hopefully our fans will surprise me. But every bit helps and we definitely could use the assistance. If this works, I will do the same thing at the basketball games later in the year.

Pictures below. These were of course, taken in Chez Sebastabear (so you have to use your imagination to visualize them in a more appropriate context) but please keep your eyes open for them in the stadium and give what you can. None of this works without you all.

Go Bears!

The food, drinks and service are WAY better at Chez SebastaBear than in the various clubs at Memorial.

I hope this isn't coming out of your own pocket (I make myself laugh).

Also, I really dislike Learfield. I hope whomever our new AD is (you) makes ridding us of them an early priority.
SLTX Bear
Sebastabear said:

Go Bears!

This is incredible! Appreciate all that you and the rest of the collective team are doing. Go Bears!
Anarchistbear
Be good if they could flash or light up or draw attention after a win.

By the same token make sure they can't scan and get their money back
MathTeacherMike
This really is a good idea - and I think it may be more effective than you might expect. A good business adage; Make it easy for the customer to give you money.
MilleniaBear
If the Cal game day app is still current put it there too.
okaydo
CNHTH
Not that my opinion matters, because you sir are doing a helluvah job sans it; and I'm not a marketer by any means but…
If I may suggest 2 things…
1.) these have to be in and around Maxwell field. That is where you are going to get the most hits imho. Also maybe even a booth.
2.) my son loved the player cards last year. If you are doing them again (which I hope you are): including a QR code donation link to donate to the individual players would be amazing.

Thanks again for all you do.
Sebastabear
CNHTH said:

Not that my opinion matters, because you sir are doing a helluvah job sans it; and I'm not a marketer by any means but…
1.) these have to be in and around Maxwell field. That is where you are going to get the most hits imho. Also maybe even a booth.
2.) my son loved the player cards last year. If you are doing them again (which I hope you are): including a QR code donation link to donate to the individual players would be amazing.

Great idea on Maxwell field. Will try to move one of our popup signs there.

On trading cards they were fun but they took an absolutely mind-blowing amount of my time to pull off and sell (you really couldn't believe it unless you experienced it). Cal bureaucracy meets the US Postal Service meets the underdeveloped world of businesses catering to NIL collectives. It took every ounce of process management skills I have to get these produced and sold. And we still lost money on the project.

I'll also admit that part of what has completely soured me on the "retail" component of NIL fundraising was seeing the number of people who came up to the California Legends booth, seemed interested but then walked away when told they cost $12.99 a pack. This despite being told they were an NIL fundraiser with 100% of the proceeds going to the players. It happened often enough to convince me this just wasn't the right product.

Hugely appreciative of all of you who bought (and many of you who bought literally dozens of packs to get the set) but no, we won't be doing these again this year. Maybe Cal will pick it up if the House settlement gets approved. We shall see.
TheFiatLux
Sebastabear said:

On trading cards they were fun but they took an absolutely mind-blowing amount of my time to pull off and sell (you really couldn't believe it unless you experienced it). Cal bureaucracy meets the US Postal Service meets the underdeveloped world of businesses catering to NIL collectives. It took every ounce of process management skills I have to get these produced and sold. And we still lost money on the project.

I'll also admit that part of what has completely soured me on the "retail" component of NIL fundraising was seeing the number of people who came up to the California Legends booth, seemed interested but then walked away when told they cost $12.99 a pack. This despite being told they were an NIL fundraiser with 100% of the proceeds going to the players. It happened often enough to convince me this just wasn't the right product.

Hugely appreciative of all of you who bought (and many of you who bought literally dozens of packs to get the set) but no, we won't be doing these again this year. Maybe Cal will pick it up if the House settlement gets approved. We shall see.
That's cute...
Sebastabear
Not worth a new thread, but we also dropped this QR Code into the Cal football yearbook, which I'll admit I didn't even know existed but was pretty fun to flip through. Some great information on the team and players. There's a digital version available on Calbears.com. It's kind of hidden, but here's the link.

https://publogix.com/e/24-UCBERKFBYB/
philbert
SebastabeGreat idea on Maxwell field. Will try to move one of our popup signs there. said:

Sad to hear the trading cards won't be produced but I get it. I've been trying to sell my extra completed set on ebay (with the proceeds going to NIL) and it's been sitting out there for a long time and I keep dropping the price.
oski003
Sebastabear said:

CNHTH said:

How about Cal branded booze, like top shelf Scotch and Whiskey?
Sebastabear
philbert said:

SebastabeGreat idea on Maxwell field. Will try to move one of our popup signs there. said:

Sad to hear the trading cards won't be produced but I get it. I've been trying to sell my extra completed set on ebay (with the proceeds going to NIL) and it's been sitting out there for a long time and I keep dropping the price.
Ha. Welcome to my world. But appreciate your effort to help and your prior enthusiasm for the cards. Just needed a few more folks like you.
Bearly Clad
I just saw your hat Ok. St. tried to do player-specific QR code decals on their helmets and were refused by the NC2A as it was considered unauthorized helmet decals (I assume the rule was originally implemented to prevent teals selling decals as ads for revenue outside of NC2A authority to circumvent the NC2A and conference from getting a cut).

Kind of a cheeky attempt but I actually respect it. I wonder if they could get away with it as a pattern inside the Ok. St. logo and not as it's own separate decal
Sebastabear
OK people. We are going to try this again for the San Diego State game. To say that the response during UC Davis was "underwhelming" would be . . . I don't know . . . "Damning with insufficient criticism" maybe? In any event, it was not good.

If we can get enough folks to participate then this can pay off. But if I personally am a large percentage of the dollars given using the QR code you know something is wrong.

Look, I get that the UC Davis game was not exactly inspiring in terms of play. But you know what was inspiring? Flying across the country and beating a historic SEC team in front of 85,000 fans, that's what. And this is your first chance to jump on the bandwagon and show some love since that game. The reason we could beat Auburn (and arguably the only reason) is NIL. It gave us the ability to bring in the players who made that game happen. And there's so much more we can do with your support. But we can't make something out of nothing. So if you liked that win and want more of that then please pull out your phone and scan a code during the game and help us out here.

QR codes will be on three large pop-up banners (one on Maxwell Field, one on Goldman Plaza and one on the concourse). It will be running at the tailgate town big screen pre-game. It will be on approximately 125 small signs sprinkled around the ESP clubs. It will be on the cocktail napkins being used in the clubs. And, most simply for all of you, it will appear on the video board (after a brief introduction from Justin Wilcox).

You can pull out your phone and scan it, although I will admit the size of our minitrons makes that more difficult than it should be. Depending on where you are sitting in the stadium you will most likely have to zoom in to get the link to work. But the image on the minitrons still works and where there's a will there's a way.

Enough with the excuses. I don't care about your excuses any more. You want to win? Then GIVE US YOUR MONEY!!!!!!!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.