Cal tailgait in Auburn

1,785 Views | 23 Replies | Last: 14 days ago by cubzwin
cubzwin
How long do you want to ignore this user?
We're going to the game on Sept 7 at Auburn. Is there goin to be a decent Cal contingent? Any organized tailgait actvities planned? Sorry if this was discussed elsewhere and I missed it. We are spending Friday night in town. An Auburn person told me to go to "Lucy's"--her favorite restauarant. About all i know.
SLTX Bear
cubzwin said:

We're going to the game on Sept 7 at Auburn. Is there goin to be a decent Cal contingent? Any organized tailgait actvities planned? Sorry if this was discussed elsewhere and I missed it. We are spending Friday night in town. An Auburn person told me to go to "Lucy's"--her favorite restauarant. About all i know.

Here is the link to the Cal Athletics official tailgate:
https://na.eventscloud.com/ehome/801058

I expect a decent size Cal contingent and there will be many unofficial tailgates all around, although not privy to details. Many Auburn fans indicated that well behaved road fans (beside Bama and LSU) would generally be welcomed to join for a beer and chat it up. I had a great time at Ole Miss and I expect a similar experience. Although I think the game environment inside the stadium will be a far more hostile environment (crowd size and energy, not Oregon scumbag fan hostile).

Any guesses on the over/under for Cal fan attendance? Doubt it will be as big as ND but hoping for a similar size as Ole Miss at least.
Gobears49
Anyone going to look to see if the trees that were planted after the Alabama crazy person poisoned the fully grown trees there several years ago are growing?
MiZery
125? Damn - is it worth that?
MiZery
Flying from DC to Atlanta. Staying in Columbus for the weekend.
SLTX Bear
MiZery said:

125? Damn - is it worth that?

Most would say no. It is pricey and not necessarily a hype crowd. Pros I suppose if you are a Cal rah rah type is that the cheerleaders and band will come by and do their thing. My kids like that. Food tends to be a mixed bag but it is open bar. So the pure economic definition of "worth it" would depend on how hard you hit the bar I suppose. For a larger group certainly better value to be found elsewhere. For a couple people really a drop in the bucket if you are the type flying across country for a college fb game. There is a ton to experience around campus though, so if you want to take that in, probably best to avoid.
MiZery
What foods do they typically have? I guess that will make my final determination.
SLTX Bear
MiZery said:

What foods do they typically have? I guess that will make my final determination.

Typically regional fare. For Auburn I would suspect southern style cuisine or possibly BBQ.
MiZery
I can definitely eat 125 dollars of fried chicken.
ferCALgm2
MiZery said:

I remember the registration said BBQ
Cal_79
In my opinion the official Cal Athletic Dept tailgates are not worth it... way overpriced for what you get.

If you're going to travel all that way to experience the local atmosphere, wander through the tailgates with a smile on your face and some of the home team fans will invite you into enjoy their hospitality.

Otherwise, it's like traveling someplace you've never been and then eating at Denny's...
JTfromClash
Yeah think my son and I will tour the campus and take our chances meeting some nice Auburn fans. Save myself a lot of $$$
cubzwin
Agree that $125 is a lot. All you can eat and drink is not that enticing cause i want to walk around--not sit in one place and get polluted.

Auburn fans I've met locally are a very congenial, well educated bunch--though i only know physicians, engineers and our vets.. Will probably take my chances wondering around and getting invited to tailgait with Aubies. I live in Huntsville so i know a few folks that are. going to the game.

We did that at the Ol Miss game in Oxford and (for those with a long memory) the Southern Miss game in 2004. Both times we got invited to tailgait with locals. Plus my wife looks hot in in her Cal Greek Night T-shirt so that should be a plus.
bearsandgiants
I like to do one per year, and Auburn seemed right to do this as we're flying in and out and don't have a lot of time to plan pregame stuff. For me, there's value in that for at least one road trip per year. I'm sure 6 different 3rd-party vendors get their hands on most of the $125, but I like to think that at least some of it is supporting the program. Watching the band from 3' away literally makes me tear up every time, and I need that fix to make it through the year. That's worth $50 to me alone. The food is decent. I don't plan to drink much but if you do, it's a great deal there, too. You often get to share your thoughts with the Chancellor and/or AD, meet former players, and be surrounded by Cal fans, which for an easy-coaster is really rare. All in, I'd say it's worth the cost, at least once. Kids are $75, so there's value there, too, and if you get it early, I think it's only $100. As game day approaches, it goes up to $150, I think, or so they say. Looks like the Auburn one won't sell out as they've removed that $150 last chance price. For me, the only real risk is that the game is cancelled by a hurricane as I've bought tickets for bunch of family and friends. I do recall meandering the parking lots for the Tennessee game and getting absolutely hammered thanks to generous Vols, volunteering their corn liquor, lol. So the hospitality runs deep in the south. Either way, it's going to be a great day. Go Bears!
Bearly Clad
Am I the only one confused about the spelling of tailgate? This thread keeps spelling it as tailgait but I'm pretty sure that's wrong. Not that it's important but I'm just wondering
cubzwin
The trees poisoned in 2010 by Harvey Updyke--a 59 yo retired state trooper and Bama fan-- were removed. Updyke was caught because he called into the Paul Finebaum radio show and bragged about it. he was sentenced to 6 months in prison and a a fine of $800,000. He paid only a little of the fine.

New oaks were replanted. The new trees were set afire in 2o17 by a 29 yo Auburn resident after an LSU game.

New trees were planted after that and I just read that the trunks of the Toomer Gate oaks are 12 to 13 inch diameter. They are under 24 hr surveillance.

Certain crimes make no sense to me--burning trees, litterring, setting forest fires. I realize that the consequences and severity of these offenses is not at all equivalent but they all share an evil disregard for nature.
bearsandgiants
Bearly Clad said:

Am I the only one confused about the spelling of tailgate? This thread keeps spelling it as tailgait but I'm pretty sure that's wrong. Not that it's important but I'm just wondering

Pretty sure it's derived from partying around the tailgate of a truck, so yep. But if you're buying the tickets, you can spell it talegeight and I'll be there.
Gobears49
Undoubtedly, you are correct. Might be two spellings but yours is the majority view.
Anarchistbear
I thought it had to do with the walking pace of Auburn coeds
bearsandgiants
Anarchistbear said:

I thought it had to do with the walking pace of Auburn coeds

Cal88
bearsandgiants said:

I like to do one per year, and Auburn seemed right to do this as we're flying in and out and don't have a lot of time to plan pregame stuff. For me, there's value in that for at least one road trip per year. I'm sure 6 different 3rd-party vendors get their hands on most of the $125, but I like to think that at least some of it is supporting the program. Watching the band from 3' away literally makes me tear up every time, and I need that fix to make it through the year. That's worth $50 to me alone. The food is decent. I don't plan to drink much but if you do, it's a great deal there, too. You often get to share your thoughts with the Chancellor and/or AD, meet former players, and be surrounded by Cal fans, which for an easy-coaster is really rare. All in, I'd say it's worth the cost, at least once. Kids are $75, so there's value there, too, and if you get it early, I think it's only $100. As game day approaches, it goes up to $150, I think, or so they say. Looks like the Auburn one won't sell out as they've removed that $150 last chance price. For me, the only real risk is that the game is cancelled by a hurricane as I've bought tickets for bunch of family and friends. I do recall meandering the parking lots for the Tennessee game and getting absolutely hammered thanks to generous Vols, volunteering their corn liquor, lol. So the hospitality runs deep in the south. Either way, it's going to be a great day. Go Bears!

The Forecast looks good as of today, partly cloudy 86F with a breeze, a bit cooler than average. Still too early to be conclusive for rain, but at least hurricanes are not likely at this point unless one pops out in the Caribbean in the next couple of days, as it takes about a week for a hurricane to travel from its inception there to Alabama.
MiZery
If you guys agreee to meeting up somewhere before the game. I can definitely meet you guys there
CNHTH
MiZery said:

I can definitely eat 125 dollars of fried chicken.

Do you have any eligibility remaining to fill a void on the left side of the line?
cubzwin
yeah, i spelled it. wrong
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.