Sonny taking shots at Cal

5,002 Views | 57 Replies | Last: 12 days ago by BarcaBear
Econ141
How long do you want to ignore this user?
...he is not wrong but still, go Stanford!

75bear
Sonny was also taking shots at Cal while he was here.
Econ141
If only we took him more seriously.
SLTX Bear
I mean I LOVE college fb, but if 18-22 year olds throwing balls around and tackling each other is the highest call of your university, ok have at it Flounder.
ColoradoBear
75bear said:

He wanted out so badly it's a shame Cal had to pay him to go.
TedfordTheGreat
SLTX Bear said:

I mean I LOVE college fb, but if 18-22 year olds throwing balls around and tackling each other is the highest call of your university, ok have at it Flounder.
bingo!

I love our football, but no it shouldn't be the only thing that matters to a university (a la Alabama and ohio state). That weak mindset is what got us all chasing dollars and led to the destruction of a conference that lasted 100 years
oski003
TedfordTheGreat said:

SLTX Bear said:

bingo!

I love our football, but no it shouldn't be the only thing that matters to a university (a la Alabama and ohio state). That weak mindset is what got us all chasing dollars and led to the destruction of a conference that lasted 100 years

How is OSU #43 in US News ranking if football is the only thing that matters to them? We are #15. OSU is excellent at football and good at being a university. We are excellent at being a university and mediocre at football. Can't we at least be good at football and still be an excellent university?
kal kommie
Don't really see it as taking shots. He's stating a simple and obvious fact. Our students and alumni largely don't care about football.
Bearly Clad
He could be talking about La. Tech for all we know!

Also I hate to be "that guy" but judging by tv numbers and fan attendance football meant something to California before Sonny got here. Did it mean enough to the administration, AD, and campus at large? Well that's another can of worms, but it was standing room only and season ticket wait lists before the Pillsbury Dykesboy got his claws in the program
TBear56
oski003 said:

TedfordTheGreat said:

SLTX Bear said:

bingo!

How is OSU #43 in US News ranking if football is the only thing that matters to them? We are #15. OSU is excellent at football and good at being a university. We are excellent at being a university and mediocre at football. Can't we at least be good at football and still be an excellent university?
Agreed. I don't see how the #1 public university can't put a decent product on the field. The academic side of it should draw in some good athletes who care about education as well. Unfortunately lot of the problem lies with the coaching and culture. Cal is not a football school, hardly ever has been. The other problem is $$$. These major football schools have it, we don't. When we do it's used for other departments mostly, not football. They've had decades to figure this out but seem to be content with mediocrity. Not everyone of course, but most of the university is happy if the football team simply makes a bowl game. Hopefully the move to the ACC changes that mindset but it's going to take a collective effort to get them to be a successful program. They can't be afraid to shoot for the stars otherwise Cal's days of competing in a major conference are numbered.

GO BEARS!
Pittstop
SLTX Bear said:

It doesn't need to be "the highest call", but other high(er) academic universities (like Michigan, UDub, tOSU) and (sometimes) Northwestern and Wisky have figured out how to do it.
Pittstop
ColoradoBear said:

75bear said:

I get it, though. He's a "football coach", 1st and foremost. And he wanted to coach where "football" was cherished. "Football" has been 'tolerated' at Cal, and has gotten [next to] zero support from the university.
SLTX Bear
Pittstop said:

SLTX Bear said:

It doesn't need to be "the highest call", but other high(er) academic universities (like Michigan, UDub, tOSU and (sometimes) Northwestern and Wisky have figured out how to do it.

I don't disagree. We should and need to do better. It was just a response to Dykes saying football is "everything" at TCU. Also not where I want to be.
Pittstop
kal kommie said:

Don't really see it as taking shots. He's stating a simple and obvious fact. Our students and alumni largely don't care about football.

But they probably would if the university did.
Cal88
Pittstop said:

SLTX Bear said:

It doesn't need to be "the highest call", but other high(er) academic universities (like Michigan, UDub, tOSU and (sometimes) Northwestern and Wisky have figured out how to do it.

It's a problem of identity, that of schools like Michigan, Duke has been closely tied with their FB/BB programs.

It's not impossible to implement this at Cal, but it would take a decade or two of consistent success to change that.
golden sloth
ColoradoBear said:

75bear said:

Yeah, you could have thought both parties could have just dissolved the contract or something.
movielover
Err, they just spent $400 Million on facilities.
I Bear
F Dykes, never liked him when he was here and still don't like him!
MathTeacherMike
I still don't get the hate for Sonny Dykes. He's a football coach from a family of football coaches - and he takes football seriously. While he was here Cal did not take football seriously. How can you blame him for wanting to be the best at his profession and desire an environment that supports his dreams. He naively though he could change the culture at Cal - yet he was put in a terrible situation inheriting the wreckage left by Tedford. When he says he's coached at places where football meant "nothing," how can you argue with that? Everyone here was so butthurt that he wanted out, but how can you blame him? Then the conventional wisdom was that he wasn't a "big time" coach (as if Cal was a big time opportunity) yet since leaving Cal he has been extremely successful. Cal fans need to just let it go.
Big C

^ Agree. The 3 worst things about him, to me, were his defenses in 2013, 2014 and 2016. Other than that, he was fine.
Big C
TedfordTheGreat said:

SLTX Bear said:

bingo!

Agree. Football is not the most important thing at Cal... and thank goodness for that. Doesn't mean we shouldn't invest in it and be the best we can. Au contraire: the Number One Public University in the World can win at football, too!

Go Bears!
BearSD
movielover said:

When you say "they" you mean TCU's donors ante'd up $400 million. Those donations are the difference between what Sonny likes about TCU and what he didn't like about Cal.

Or Texas A&M, where their ex-coach got a buyout of more than $75 million. They can afford to pay that because A&M has an athletic donor organization (the "12th Man Foundation") with assets of well over $200 million.
calumnus
Bearly Clad said:

He could be talking about La. Tech for all we know!

Also I hate to be "that guy" but judging by tv numbers and fan attendance football meant something to California before Sonny got here. Did it mean enough to the administration, AD, and campus at large? Well that's another can of worms, but it was standing room only and season ticket wait lists before the Pillsbury Dykesboy got his claws in the program

Attendance and TV ratings have been far worse under Wilcox. It is about winning and playing exciting football with marketable stars. Attendance was not good under Holmoe either. It got good under Tedford when we were winning then Tedford stopped winning enough. Dykes didn't win enough and Wilcox has been worse. Dykes is not the current problem, Wilcox is. This is his 8th year. At some point you have to hold him responsible for the state of his program and stop blaming his predecessor.
cal93
Met him at a Bear Backer event in Orange County before he even coached a game for us. Arogant *******, didn't really want to talk to anyone at the event. I came home knowing he was a bad hire for Cal that didn't want to be here from day one.
movielover
BearSD said:

movielover said:

When you say "they" you mean TCU's donors ante'd up $400 million. Those donations are the difference between what Sonny likes about TCU and what he didn't like about Cal.

Or Texas A&M, where their ex-coach got a buyout of more than $75 million. They can afford to pay that because A&M has an athletic donor organization (the "12th Man Foundation") with assets of well over $200 million.

Cal spent $445 M or more on MC and new athletic performance facilities.
oski003
movielover said:

BearSD said:

movielover said:

Cal spent $445 M or more on MC and new athletic performance facilities.

Facility upgrades that were years past due and would have cost less than half as much most other places while we have higher academic standards for athletes than almost all other schools.
calumnus
golden sloth said:

ColoradoBear said:

75bear said:

Yeah, you could have thought both parties could have just dissolved the contract or something.

Then don't fire him in late January of 2017. No one forced us to do that. Let him coach 2017 and encourage him to find another job. SMU hired him for the 2018 season even after we fired him.

Then you can do a proper search at the end of the season instead of hiring a coach with no head coaching experience that no one else was willing to take a chance on. And then when he has a losing record, don't extend him. Then when he loses even more don't extend him another 5 years. But rather than just saying we make horrible decisions let's just keep saying the guy that went undefeated in the Big-12 and took his team to the National Championship Game is a lousy coach.

TexasAgInTheBay
BearSD said:

movielover said:

Let's make something very clear about TCU.

The person who goes to TCU isn't smart enough to go to texas or A&M, isn't rich enough to go to SMU, and isn't fake christian enough to go to Baylor. TCU is a utter clown college. Being a forth worth townie is the only good reason to go there.

When the Southwest conference broke up, they weren't even an afterthought in being brought along into the Big 12. They go to feast on a weak CUSA and Mountain West for YEARs before they got invited into the Big 12 as the "break glass in case of emergency" team. To their credit, they hired a great coach in Gary Patterson. And in 2022 they rode their incredible luck into the title game. But that success is a double edged sword for Sonny. He's going to be fired soon, because he'll never get close to that season.

But TCU doesn't have impressive spending, doesn't have an impressive home crowd, doesn't really have anything. Other than recent success. Which isn't nothing; but it's close.

Some evidence: This NIL budget list from 24/7 has the top 50. Cal is number 38. TCU isn't in the top 50.
Link
calumnus
cal93 said:

Met him at a Bear Backer event in Orange County before he even coached a game for us. Arogant *******, didn't really want to talk to anyone at the event. I came home knowing he was a bad hire for Cal that didn't want to be here from day one.

First time I ever heard anyone say Sonny Dykes doesn't like to talk. I met him several times when I was living in Downtown Berkeley and at several football events. Very friendly outgoing person. Some of his fan events (Pigskins and Pearls) showed the poor cultural fit, but he was really trying to reach out to the fans.

The issues were: 1) He replaced the immensely popular Jeff Tedford, who many thought should not have been fired 2) He sounds like he is from Texas and looks like he doesn't miss a meal, and most importantly, 3) He had a horrific first season. The fan base hated him from the start. Plus many Cal fans still think the Air Raid is a "gimmick" and not "real football." The fact he was Cal's coach while the PAC-12, was strong and worse, Stanford was going to Rose Bowls, did not help.

But introverted and not very talkative? That better describes Wilcox.
bear2034
calumnus said:

cal93 said:

First time I ever heard anyone say Sonny Dykes doesn't like to talk. I met him several times when I was living in Downtown Berkeley and at several football events. Very friendly outgoing person. Some of his fan events (Pigskins and Pearls) showed the poor cultural fit, but he was really trying to reach out to the fans.

The issues were: 1) He replaced the immensely popular Jeff Tedford, who many thought should not have been fired 2) He sounds like he is from Texas and looks like he doesn't miss a meal, and most importantly, 3) He had a horrific first season. The fan base hated him from the start. Plus many Cal fans still think the Air Raid is a "gimmick" and not "real football." The fact he was Cal's coach while the PAC-12, was strong and worse, Stanford was going to Rose Bowls, did not help.

But introverted and not very talkative? That better describes Wilcox.

2) Sonny not only sounds like he's from Texas, he is from Texas and so are many of our student athletes.
bearister
Same video, different lead in:

Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
BearSD
Big C said:

^ Agree. The 3 worst things about him, to me, were his defenses in 2013, 2014 and 2016. Other than that, he was fine.
Tedford gifted Dykes with a QB good enough to become the #1 pick in the NFL draft, and even with three seasons of that QB, Dykes only produced one winning season in four years. That is not good enough.
Golden One
TexasAgInTheBay said:

BearSD said:

movielover said:

Let's make something very clear about TCU.

The person who goes to TCU isn't smart enough to go to texas or A&M, isn't rich enough to go to SMU, and isn't fake christian enough to go to Baylor. TCU is a utter clown college. Being a forth worth townie is the only good reason to go there.

When the Southwest conference broke up, they weren't even an afterthought in being brought along into the Big 12. They go to feast on a weak CUSA and Mountain West for YEARs before they got invited into the Big 12 as the "break glass in case of emergency" team. To their credit, they hired a great coach in Gary Patterson. And in 2022 they rode their incredible luck into the title game. But that success is a double edged sword for Sonny. He's going to be fired soon, because he'll never get close to that season.

But TCU doesn't have impressive spending, doesn't have an impressive home crowd, doesn't really have anything. Other than recent success. Which isn't nothing; but it's close.

Some evidence: This NIL budget list from 24/7 has the top 50. Cal is number 38. TCU isn't in the top 50.
Link

Spoken like a true Texas Aggie.
GivemTheAxe
And the university forgave show many hundred million dollars in Athletic Department debt.
bear2034
bearister said:

Same video, different lead in:

Is Avinash on fentanyl?
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.