Hype Man?

1,101 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 14 days ago by JSC 76
AuntJan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I generally only follow college sports, and may be the only person in the Bay area that doesn't watch the warriors. So I have to ask, what the heck is a Hype man? I guess someone called Franco Finn has been a Hype Man for the Warriors for a while and is now going to be one for Cal. I just saw his video on Facebook.

So I come to all of you...... what the heck is a Hype Man
sosheezy
Assuming it's a guy that'll do live Jumbotron stuff that we're probably already doing: hosting in stadium interview's and/or contests a la the Grrr kids cheer, that might lead into a stadium wide cheer. At least hiring a recognized pro to do it and rebranding the role. Hopefully doesn't step on the Mic Men role.
eabandit
I've been a Dubs fan for a very long time and we LOVE Franco. He's a hugely recognizable face of the Warriors' game day experience and his "hyping" is iconic.

This post has me more excited for Cal game day things than I've been in a long time. Franco is awesome.

If they treat this anything like what he does at the Dubs games, my guess is he'll be responsible for the following activities:

* Introducing the teams (and potentially coaches and players)
* Introducing the half-time shows
* Hosting the events during the play breaks (recognitions, awards, contests, etc.)
* Facilitating the stadium-wide cheers (not sure what the relationship will be with the traditional mic man on this)
* Occasionally hyping up the crowd on the stadium PA ("we need your energy now!" type thing, perhaps before kickoffs, after timeouts, etc.)

I doubt he'll be too involved with the student section so I wouldn't expect him and the student mic man to overlap too much. But there might be some overlap on the stadium-wide cheers; I'd expect Franco to take over that role (you know, sometimes they let the mic man have the stadium PA). This is all just a guess though.
Golden One
sosheezy said:

Assuming it's a guy that'll do live Jumbotron stuff that we're probably already doing: hosting in stadium interview's and/or contests a la the Grrr kids cheer, that might lead into a stadium wide cheer. At least hiring a recognized pro to do it and rebranding the role. Hopefully doesn't step on the Mic Men role.
Wish we actually had a jumbotron! Maybe in a few years......
Big C

Yeah, it's like the "host" or the "MC" for all the stupid promotions and stuff. Somebody who is going to be overly loud, somewhat overbearing, supposedly appealing to the under-30 crowd and most importantly, somebody to piss off the "college football traditionalists", like me.

We will be reading complaints about him, here, in just over 24 hours.
UrsusTexicanus
Cal couldn't get Krazy George out of retirement?
smh
UrsusTexicanus said:

Cal couldn't get Krazy George out of retirement?
fwiw KG is apparently still with us..
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Krazy_George_Henderson
> Krazy George Henderson (born May 6, 1944) is an American professional cheerleader who created the Wave in 1979
muting more than 300 handles, turnaround is fair play
01Bear
Big C said:

Yeah, it's like the "host" or the "MC" for all the stupid promotions and stuff. Somebody who is going to be overly loud, somewhat overbearing, supposedly appealing to the under-30 crowd and most importantly, somebody to piss off the "college football traditionalists", like me.

We will be reading complaints about him, here, in just over 24 hours.

What ever happened to Rally Comm and the Mic Men/People? It sounds like their job is being given to someone who's not even a Cal student.
eabandit
The Rally Comm and micpeople aren't in charge of the stadium PA. They only go on the full stadium PA once or twice a game, and sometimes never make a PA appearance.

I'd expect Franco to take over the role of the stadium PA and have an on field/in crowd appearance (like he does with Warriors games). How he will interact with Rally Comm and the band would be TBD.

Hopefully they work together and come up with something special that blends the preofessionalism and energy Franco can bring with the student-led traditions of Cal.
01Bear
eabandit said:

The Rally Comm and micpeople aren't in charge of the stadium PA. They only go on the full stadium PA once or twice a game, and sometimes never make a PA appearance.

I'd expect Franco to take over the role of the stadium PA and have an on field/in crowd appearance (like he does with Warriors games). How he will interact with Rally Comm and the band would be TBD.

Hopefully they work together and come up with something special that blends the preofessionalism and energy Franco can bring with the student-led traditions of Cal.

The PA should only be ised to make announcements or to call plays. Leave it up to Rally Comm and the Micpeople to fire up the crowd. Having an outsider lead Cal cheers just sounds bad.
Bearspot
Lol. Seems like there is some confusion about the roles on gameday.

Mic men are in front of the students and get the students hyped up. Occasionally they get on the PA and address the whole stadium, but not repeatedly or frequently. Mic men (and women) are not going away. And it's the students, really, led by the Mic Men that work to get the rest of the stadium cheering.

Hypeman is the person doing all of the promotional stuff and occasionally a stadium cheer on the PA. Cal FB games have had this position for a long time. Last year, maybe two(?), it was a woman. Before that, it was for a long time done by a man (I forget his name). Cal now has a new one this year, Franco. Nowhere does it say anywhere that the Hypeman is taking the Mic Men's jobs. They are different jobs.

Announcer uses the PA for game-specific info.
sosheezy
Bearspot said:

Lol. Seems like there is some confusion about the roles on gameday.

Mic men are in front of the students and get the students hyped up. Occasionally they get on the PA and address the whole stadium, but not repeatedly or frequently. Mic men (and women) are not going away. And it's the students, really, led by the Mic Men that work to get the rest of the stadium cheering.

Hypeman is the person doing all of the promotional stuff and occasionally a stadium cheer on the PA. Cal FB games have had this position for a long time. Last year, maybe two(?), it was a woman. Before that, it was for a long time done by a man (I forget his name). Cal now has a new one this year, Franco. Nowhere does it say anywhere that the Hypeman is taking the Mic Men's jobs. They are different jobs.

Announcer uses the PA for game-specific info.
Exactly. If anything we're just getting a seasoned pro to do the job that was already happening. And just giving it a title now. Actually think this is the AD/Marketing being more forward thinking. Unlikely to move the needle much but is a step in the right direction towards taking the Gameday experience seriously.
Big C

Maybe we could hire a "hype band" to play some appropriate music for a college football game!
Eastern Oregon Bear
eabandit said:

Maybe things changed, but when I was on the Rally Comm in the late 1970s, we never had use of the stadium PA. Not even once. A few of us did work with the mic men (not what they were called back then) to help organize the cheers between the student section and the fans on the west side of the stadium, but the mic men were the ones on the PA.

I do think hiring the Warriors hype man is a positive move. It may bother the traditionalists, but we NEED those under 30 fans. If this draws them in to Cal fandom, it'll be valuable to the long term viability of the program. Us old farts will be gone in a decade or two.
okaydo
okaydo
01Bear
Eastern Oregon Bear said:

eabandit said:

Maybe things changed, but when I was on the Rally Comm in the late 1970s, we never had use of the stadium PA. Not even once. A few of us did work with the mic men (not what they were called back then) to help organize the cheers between the student section and the fans on the west side of the stadium, but the mic men were the ones on the PA.

Didn't Rally Comm used to also lead cheers along the other side of the stadium before? I definitely remember the "Go!" "Bears!" cheers. But I could've sworn they also led some other cheers along the seatback side. Maybe I'm misremembering (I only ever sat in the student and young alumni seats) and imagined it happened that way.
01Bear
okaydo said:

Thanks! I now get what a hypeman is; it's to be the annoying dude who does what every other announcer does to "sound cool" by using a lot of modulation and inflection along with drawing out words when he speaks. It's just so dumb! I hated it when I was a kid and still hate it today.
eabandit
I've been to most home games over the last eight years or so and I distinctly remember that the mic man (the one who hypes up the student section) gets a crack at the stadium PA about once per game.

From what I can recall, I feel like it doesn't work very well and the crowd kind of ignores it. The mic man usually doesn't do a very good job in that role (although I appreciate them for trying). If Franco will be involved in regularly hyping the crowd (say a few times a game at key moments), I really feel like it will work a lot better.

Also, I feel like we can all agree the piped in third down music is awful. I'd much rather listen to some combination of Franco and the band -- again, at key moments.

I DMed Franco to express my excitement and he messaged back saying he was appreciative and that he was proud to be representing the blue and gold on both sides of the Bay, and that he's now a Cal Golden Bear. He's definitely a hometown guy and this might sound corny but I think he gets it and it's really got me excited. I'm upset I can't make it to the game tomorrow to see his debut.
JSC 76
I just attended a AAA baseball game. A guy wearing a hot dog suit got on the PA between innings and announced promotions and games and nonsense like "SimbaCam". Sounds exactly like our "hype man". They've turned college football into minor league baseball.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.