A plea for folks to attend the UC Davis game / free ticket offer

5,402 Views | 67 Replies | Last: 15 days ago by KoreAmBear
Shocky1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
golden one, ur either dumber than a rock (like markeisha) or just someone who likes to argue

don't be that person#
Golden One
CalBearinLA said:

Golden One said:

CalBearinLA said:

Golden One said:

Sebastabear said:

oregoncalbear said:

Completely agree. Couldn't they have offered this days ago?

Are y'all missing the part how this is a last-minute Hail Mary effort to save our home opener from being an embarrassing debacle? Are you not making the connection between why this is needed in the first place and the timing? I really don't think this question is that hard to figure out

Don't you understand that doing it this late will have very little positive impact on attendance tomorrow?

Don't you understand that this isn't Sebasta's day job and he's literally volunteering his time to fix a massive issue?

Of course I do. But my point still stands. If you did it today, why not do it a week ago. Anyway, I'll be at the game tomorrow. I'm a member of the Founders Club.

Then you can spearhead it next time as a member of the founders club. I appreciate Sebasta at least trying something. He's got enough on his plate with CA legends

You're still missing my point. It's not really that hard to understand.
bearsandgiants
Golden One said:

CalBearinLA said:

Golden One said:

Sebastabear said:

oregoncalbear said:

Are y'all missing the part how this is a last-minute Hail Mary effort to save our home opener from being an embarrassing debacle? Are you not making the connection between why this is needed in the first place and the timing? I really don't think this question is that hard to figure out

Don't you understand that doing it this late will have very little positive impact on attendance tomorrow?

Don't you understand that this isn't Sebasta's day job and he's literally volunteering his time to fix a massive issue?

Of course I do. But my point still stands. If you did it today, why not do it a week ago. Anyway, I'll be at the game tomorrow. I'm a member of the Founders Club.

Why didn't YOU do it a week ago?
calumnus
I think the criticism is 100% for our grifter AD and not Sebasta, who is doing amazing things for Cal athletics using his own time and money.
01Bear
Shocky1 said:

golden one, ur either dumber than a rock (like markeisha) or just someone who likes to argue

don't be that person#

Amen!
01Bear
bearsandgiants said:

Golden One said:

CalBearinLA said:

Golden One said:

Sebastabear said:

oregoncalbear said:

Because he's the type that complains about other people trying to fix problems but won't lift a finger to do the same.

Thanks, Sebasta, for trying to help get butts in seats for tomorrow's season opener!
Golden One
calumnus said:

I think the criticism is 100% for our grifter AD and not Sebasta, who is doing amazing things for Cal athletics using his own time and money.

You get it. Thank you.
Golden One
01Bear said:

bearsandgiants said:

Golden One said:

CalBearinLA said:

Golden One said:

Sebastabear said:

oregoncalbear said:

Because he's the type that complains about other people trying to fix problems but won't lift a finger to do the same.

Thanks, Sebasta, for trying to help get butts in seats for tomorrow's season opener!

Sigh.
Golden One
Shocky1 said:

don't be that person#

You shouldn't be that personal and dense. Don't you understand that my criticism is of the AD, not of Sebasta?
01Bear
Golden One said:

Shocky1 said:

don't be that person#

You shouldn't be that personal and dense. Don't you understand that my criticism is of the AD, not of Sebasta?

Then direct it at the AD, not at Sebasta. Start a new thread if you must. This is Sebasta'a thread trying to get butts in seats.
01Bear
Golden One said:

Shocky1 said:

don't be that person#

I note that you've not even apologized to Sebasta for (1) attempting to hijack his thread or (2) appearing to criticize him for volunteering to fix a problem.

If you were serious about criticizing the AD and not Sebasta, you would've done that by now.
01Bear
FWIW, I really wish I were still in the Bay so I could cheer on the Bears in person tomorrow. I have encouraged some of my Bay Area friends to go to tomorrow's game, even if they aren't Cal fans. Some of them have agreed to do so, especially thanks to the free tickets. Hopefully, we fill the stadium and earn more fan support as a result.
Golden One
I have, but I'm not surprised you are in the dark. I have no criticism of Sebasta, so I have nothing to apologize for. The fact is that our inept AD should have done this a week ago. Do you get it now?
Sebastabear
Very much appreciate the kind words directed my way, but I don't deserve all or even most of the credit here. It's folks within the football program who are sounding the alarm bells and pushing this. I am just bringing whatever pressure I can to bear with our administration and also publicizing the effort. True heroes are in Memorial Stadium.
Golden One
Sebastabear said:

Very much appreciate the kind words directed my way, but I don't deserve all or even most of the credit here. It's folks within the football program who are sounding the alarm bells and pushing this. I am just bringing whatever pressure I can to bear with our administration and also publicizing the effort. True heroes are in Memorial Stadium.

Thank you for your ongoing efforts.
movielover
Golden One said:

CalBearinLA said:

Golden One said:

Sebastabear said:

oregoncalbear said:

Err.... BECAUSE HE DIDN'T KNOW!!!??

An older thread about Ms. Everett says she's never worked at an institution w football.

Apparently she has a lot of free time as she's signed up for other concurrent jobs: "Everett also serves as third vice president for the National Association of Collegiate Marketing Administrators (NACMA) and leads the external operations circle for Women Leaders In College Sports."

Older threads about the incompetent AD and compromised Associate AD assert that Ms. Everett isn't up to the job.

pingpong2
Looks like all tickets are gone? That's a good thing, I hope?
movielover
pingpong2 said:

Looks like all tickets are gone? That's a good thing, I hope?

Any idea how many tickets they gave away?
sonofabear51
Correct. The Admin doesn't care. Otherwise it would have done something, anything in the previous weeks, months, years, even before know nothing and overdumb.
Unfortunately, here is where we are. It sucks. Rock and hard place.

I don't have any answers, or solutions, but I have seen what I have seen over the years. This situation could/should have been avoided. Period. Not sure a 9 win season will fix it. Apparently way too much politics getting in the way of a simple solution..

Something needs to change in the AD department starting at the top, and extending thru out. In other words, clean house now.

I will always be GO BEARS!!, but things need to change. Wish I lived closer, I would go to every game just like I did from 1969-1990.

Start Slowly and taper off
BearForce1
Looks like I missed the boat on the free tickets - if anyone picked up 2 or 3 extra they weren't going to use, please message me directly. Thanks!
Sebastabear
Code is up and working again. Not too late. Nextleveldavis.
BearForce1
Thanks you Sebastabear! I picked up a few tix and brought the kiddos. Managed to last into the 4th quarter with a lot of candy bribes. Go Bears!
Sebastabear
Thanks to everyone who showed up. Totally decent crowd for an FCS game. It was a close call on getting butts in seats but we got it done. And special props to the student section. Maybe the largest I've seen in years.
rkt88edmo
Agree - turnout was pretty good. Student section looked about 4/5 full at kickoff, a major turnaround. Hope the momentum stays high.

Anyone have the final attendance #s?

I missed this thread prior to the game - kudos sebasta, you are really giving this your all and I appreciate it as a fan.
TedfordTheGreat
Sebatasbear, thank you again for all that you do, it never ceases to amaze me how much work you are doing voluntarily. A true bear through and through!

I know this will take someone with influence to do some convincing, and I am hoping this could be you. We need to convince Lyons to keep running these type of promotions all year. I love the idea by one of the posters to invite every single football player in the bay to the game to build a fanbase. Bring all of the athletes from High Schools in Alameda Unified and Contra Costa unified. Bring teachers, janitors. Someone needs to convince marketing that getting 30k fans to buy $20 in hotdogs is far better than selling tix for $35 to $55 with a half empty stadium.

Let's worry about packing the house for the rest of the season rather than squeezing the most profit from the 20k loyal fans who will show up

82gradDLSdad
01Bear said:

Shocky1 said:

don't be that person#

Amen!

Yes. My wife sadly missed the foo Fighters concert the other week because she got covid. She hasn't been to a concert in years and was looking forward to going. Very mild symptoms, I kept waiting to get it but didn't, but still, it's not time to be reckless unless you are, oh, about half our country. Someday.... maybe.
01Bear
82gradDLSdad said:

01Bear said:

Shocky1 said:

don't be that person#

Amen!

Yes. My wife sadly missed the foo Fighters concert the other week because she got covid. She hasn't been to a concert in years and was looking forward to going. Very mild symptoms, I kept waiting to get it but didn't, but still, it's not time to be reckless unless you are, oh, about half our country. Someday.... maybe.

Hope she recovers fully and quickly.
82gradDLSdad
01Bear said:

82gradDLSdad said:

01Bear said:

Shocky1 said:

don't be that person#

Amen!

She has. Thank you
BearlyCareAnymore
Sebastabear said:

Thanks to everyone who showed up. Totally decent crowd for an FCS game. It was a close call on getting butts in seats but we got it done. And special props to the student section. Maybe the largest I've seen in years.
Cal has got to market hard to students and tickets should flat out be free. At minimum for freshman. At minimum, minimum for the first game. A ticket should be in their orientation packet and it should be marketed hard at orientation. That is when students are excited to be at college and looking for anything to do with new friends or to meet new friends. A lot of students are not into football, but might just enjoy the experience, especially if they have never been to a game in a big stadium. Week 1, they are just waiting to take a bite out of the college experience. Once they start working their asses off in classes, it is going to get harder and harder to get them to try it out.

I met my wife in college. She had been through 2 years without going near a game. I thought she would like it. She thought I was crazy, but she went. When the band came out and the smoke bomb went off she was hooked and loved being there with other students in the rooting section. 15 years later, when going to games meant bringing toddlers, the thrill kind of wore off, but Cal got a lot of years of season tickets to football and basketball from a student who never would have gone to a game otherwise.

Also, I don't know what it is like for students getting into games now, but I know there have been years where getting in has been a gauntlet of security and breathalyzers. Not saying to go full 70's with easy to sneak in booze, fruit for throwing, and water balloons, but maybe we keep things a little chill.
philly1121
So, the attendance listed on the box score was 32,275. So, a little more than half full? How did the free ticket give away go? Was it successful to the point that it made a difference? Like, it went from 25k to 32k?
01Bear
82gradDLSdad said:

01Bear said:

82gradDLSdad said:

01Bear said:

Shocky1 said:

don't be that person#

Amen!

She has. Thank you

I'm very glad to hear that! I wish you both great health and happiness.
82gradDLSdad
01Bear said:

82gradDLSdad said:

01Bear said:

82gradDLSdad said:

01Bear said:

Shocky1 said:

don't be that person#

Amen!

She has. Thank you

I'm very glad to hear that! I wish you both great health and happiness.

Thank you. Same to you.
KoreAmBear
CalBearinLA said:

Golden One said:

CalBearinLA said:

Golden One said:

Sebastabear said:

oregoncalbear said:

Then you can spearhead it next time as a member of the founders club. I appreciate Sebasta at least trying something. He's got enough on his plate with CA legends
What a real sad pile on by Golden One.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.