Story Poster
Photo by Al Sermeno / KLC Fotos
Cal Football

Cal, Miami To Kickoff Under The Lights

September 23, 2024

BERKELEY -- The California football team will take on Miami at 7:30 p.m. PT on Saturday, Oct. 5 with the game televised on ESPN, the Atlantic Coast Conference announced on Monday.   

The Golden Bears (3-1, 0-1 ACC) are set to host the Hurricanes (4-0) in their first home game as a member of the ACC and it will be the fifth all-time matchup between the two programs. The Bears are 2-2 against Miami with the most recent contest a 24-17 Cal victory in the Emerald Bowl on December 27, 2008.

Click here to purchase tickets

Cal enters its first of two bye weeks this season after coming up just short in a 14-9 defeat on the road at Florida State in its ACC opener on Saturday.

Discussion from...

Cal, Miami To Kickoff Under The Lights

1,416 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 9 min ago by Cal88
edwinbear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
1030pm body clock time for Miami, nice.
Gobears49
Has Cal ever had a sellout for a night game? Probably not, and probably not ever close.

I'm just guessing, but I also think a GameDay game has ever been a night game. So it looks like Cal will have to wait to host GameDay.

Too bad we did not have better horses up front on our final drive. We need a much better two deep at our five offensive line positions, which seem to consistently have more injuries than other positions. Perhaps our offensive coordinator, Bloesch, with his specialty seeming to be his O-Line coaching backgrounds, will turn things around there.
Grrrrah76
Thats just about the time Miami players hit the strip bars back home.
Rushinbear
Grrrrah76 said:

Thats just about the time Miami players hit the strip bars back home.
so, let's set one up outside their locker room.
azulviejo
And I WAS, looking forward to going. ***
Oh well.
Sonofafurd
Gobears49 said:

Has Cal ever had a sellout for a night game? Probably not, and probably not ever close.

Have you forgotten about the 2006 UCLA game back when Memorial held 72k+. There was a butt in every seat and two knees in every back.

Edit: Apparently it was a 5pm kickoff in November, but it was dark well before halftime.
TexasAgInTheBay
I don't understand the Cal fanbase's dislike of night games. Most other places prefer night games because the fans are rowdier.

Maybe its a Bay Area thing. People seem to genuinely not like night time or be able to stay up late here. Is it morning Cardio obsession? Or having to be on calls with NYC in the morning? Anyway, this place has the worst night life of any place I've lived BY FAR. Most of SF looks like an empty, deserted city by 9pm every night. The South Bay and the Peninsula aren't any better. Maybe I'm not frequenting the right places. I only go the East Bay for Cal games; maybe its all happening there.
MiZery
So no Gameday them?
oskidunker
See how much you lime night games when you are70, which. CAls aging fan base is .
Go Bears!
Cal88
TexasAgInTheBay said:

I don't understand the Cal fanbase's dislike of night games. Most other places prefer night games because the fans are rowdier.

Maybe its a Bay Area thing. People seem to genuinely not like night time or be able to stay up late here. Is it morning Cardio obsession? Or having to be on calls with NYC in the morning? Anyway, this place has the worst night life of any place I've lived BY FAR. Most of SF looks like an empty, deserted city by 9pm every night. The South Bay and the Peninsula aren't any better. Maybe I'm not frequenting the right places. I only go the East Bay for Cal games; maybe its all happening there.

It's a combination of the weather usually being cold(er) and damp at night, and the denizens being more outdoorsy, and more focused on their corporate careers. One thing I remember from living in the Bay is that if you want to have dinner past 9:30pm then your options were very limited.
freshfunk
TexasAgInTheBay said:

Most things happen early in the bay area. Yes, as far as the work day goes, it's either NYC or London times that match up with mornings here. Or, yes, mornings are when people are active whether it's the gym or a run.

After covid, some parts of the city became even more dead due to work from home. People are working from home from Fridays so places like the financial district are a ghost town.

I live about 1 - 1.5 hrs from campus, depending on the traffic. A 7:30 start is fine but it's when they finish, the time it takes to get out of Berkeley and then the trek home.

The Sonny era was the worst because games would almost go for 4-5 hours. I think it was the 2016 game that had a 7:30 kickoff. This was when we beat a #11 ranked Texas 50-43 with Davis Webb and Chad Hansen. It went for 4 hours finishing at 11:30. Usually everyone would go home but we went out for drinks at Tap Haus to celebrate. Had a great time and then of course had to finish it up with a burrito from La Burrita. We must've finished up around 2 AM. I walk to the lot where I've parked and they're closed and locked up! My car was literally trapped! Sadly, I ended up taking an uber home (got home at 3 am) and coming back the next day to get my car. After that, I noticed they explicitly told people when the lot closed (thanks to me).

But even with reasonable ending times, I'm getting home at midnight. With the last SDSU game, the refs threw so many flags it just extended the game by 30 minutes (also now includes the 2 minute timeouts).

Overall, from a viewers perspective, they need to shorten games somehow. Reviews take too long, commercial breaks are too long. They have so much filler at the stadium that's filled with bad ads (personal injury lawyers) -- I can do away with the little kids roaring competition as well or watching Bart lines virtually race.

If the game isn't a particularly exciting one with a good crowd, it's a much better experience watching from the comfort of home.
LessMilesMoreTedford
TexasAgInTheBay said:

That's what happens when your young alumni engagement is abysmal because the team has been mediocre forever. You are stuck with an attending fanbase that is half 50+. Many will not go to night games as it's well past their bedtime.

Additionally, families are less likely to attend. Commuters from all around North Bay, South Bay, Sacramento won't get back til 1-2 am.

You only get sickos for night games and Cal fans have not enjoyed enough success to pack the stadium for that.

I expect a lot of fans, but I imagine there will be more Miami green and orange than we'd like to see.
brevity
MiZery said:

So no Gameday them?

Last year "College GameDay" went to Boulder, CO several hours before a late night game between Colorado and Colorado State (the same time slot as Miami-Cal, apparently).

Not saying it will happen, but it still could.
golden sloth
TexasAgInTheBay said:

The demographic skews older.

If I were king, I'd have (2) night games a year, and nothing before 2:00 pm.
bearister
What former Miami Hurricane football player had a father, that most likely, is the most globally famous person in the history of NCAA football player fathers (or any other NCAA sport)?
*Winning prize TBA
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
C6Bear
TexasAgInTheBay said:

Or maybe it's that thing about not living in the Bay Area and being lucky to get home by 2am. Oh, and that other little thing about having to be up at 6am many Sunday mornings. I don't mind one, maybe two a year, but this is going to be a reoccurring thing for ESPN to fill their late game slots with Cal, Furd, and SMU games. Late starts are the ***** for a lot of people who want to attend.
Bowlesman80
TexasAgInTheBay said:

Have you ever walked in Berkeley after dark?
Just sayin.'
"Just win, baby."
Bowlesman80
bearister said:

What former Miami Hurricane football player had a father, that most likely, is the most globally famous person in the history of NCAA football player fathers (or any other NCAA sport)?
*Winning prize TBA
Prince William.

JK
"Just win, baby."
Bowlesman80
golden sloth said:

TexasAgInTheBay said:

The demographic skews older.

If I were king, I'd have (2) night games a year, and nothing before 2:00 pm.
Yep. Half time for night games is my usual bedtime.
"Just win, baby."
Cal88
bearister said:

*Winning prize TBA

Ziggy's brother.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.