This is what I was hoping for when we hired Rich Lyons!!!

3,504 Views | 35 Replies | Last: 5 days ago by TheFiatLux
TheFiatLux
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The guy's been on the job for four months. For most of us he was the #1 dream choice to be chancellor. Now we have him and look at what's happening in such a short time. I know there are some who want to see him clean house right away (include me in that), but at a public university like Cal, that's basically impossible. But what he HAS DONE in terms of engagement, priorities, reading the room, embracing and letting the community run with this (because trust me, there have certainly been past chancellors who would have been appalled at this) is way more than a breath of fresh air, it's like being reborn.

It's a super small thing... but just this level of engagement on X is almost unheard of in academia. It's nothing clever, or funny or whatever... but The Chancellor of the University of California at Berkeley taking the time to thank someone at BART for a job well done in helping Cal is simply awesome.

We're doing this with football, which is a much harder aircraft carrier to turn, imagine what we can do with hoops in making Haas come alive again.

Saturday is going to be amazing.

BarcaBear
What? We're all football fans here but your post is weird. It's just a tweet. lol

Your post made me chuckle with all of your gushing. It's kinda cringe. How you frame the Chancellor as reading the room and understanding priorities.
lol get a hold of yourself, it's just a tweet
Oakbear
BarcaBear said:

What? We're all football fans here but your post is weird. It's just a tweet. lol

Your post made me chuckle with all of your gushing. It's kinda cringe. How you frame the Chancellor as reading the room and understanding priorities.
Cal ,the home of low expectations in athletics
okaydo

Eastern Oregon Bear
Oakbear said:

BarcaBear said:

Oakbear, the source of unrealistic expectations in university administration.
Econ141
Agreed - I hope though that him being active shows how you can't be in marketing (or involved in recruiting ... Hint hint Wilcox) if you are not on multiple social platforms.

If the head of marketing doesn't know what is going on via Twitter, this just one of 50,000 reasons why she needs to be canned yesterday.
Give to Cal Legends!

https://calegends.com/donation/ Do it now. Text every Cal fan you know, give them the link, tell them how much you gave, and ask them to text every Cal fan they know and do the same.
TheFiatLux
BarcaBear said:

OK.

You just don't get it.
okaydo
Was Rich Lyons responsible for Gameday coming to Cal? Nope.

Was Bear Insider responsible for Gameday coming to Cal? Nope.

Is Rich Lyons' use of social media unusual for a university leader? Nope.
bear2034
Gobears49 was responsible for Gameday coming to Cal.
TheFiatLux
okaydo said:

I'm used to your awful takes, but this one is particularly bad. Well done!
4thGenCal
TheFiatLux said:

The guy's been on the job for four months. For most of us he was the #1 dream choice to be chancellor. Now we have him and look at what's happening in such a short time. I know there are some who want to see him clean house right away (include me in that), but at a public university like Cal, that's basically impossible. But what he HAS DONE in terms of engagement, priorities, reading the room, embracing and letting the community run with this (because trust me, there have certainly been past chancellors who would have been appalled at this) is way more than a breath of fresh air, it's like being reborn.

It's a super small thing... but just this level of engagement on X is almost unheard of in academia. It's nothing clever, or funny or whatever... but The Chancellor of the University of California at Berkeley taking the time to thank someone at BART for a job well done in helping Cal is simply awesome.

We're doing this with football, which is a much harder aircraft carrier to turn, imagine what we can do with hoops in making Haas come alive again.

Thanks for your post and I agree that Rich Lyons has really stepped up engagement, visible support for our sports (numerous appearances at games, events, alumni gatherings etc. and has clearly understood the value of having a strong athletic program. He believes having outstanding teams is the best way to connect alums back to the campus to support our teams and reconnect to Cal in multiple ways. One quick example was this prior week SAE Fraternity host of both basketball teams for the students and some alumni supporters - I reached out and asked him to show up and say a few words - He did and was genuine in his support and love for Cal. Very powerful to all the programs and the donors that there is support from the top.
TheFiatLux
4thGenCal said:

TheFiatLux said:

Thanks for your post and I agree that Rich Lyons has really stepped up engagement, visible support for our sports (numerous appearances at games, events, alumni gatherings etc. and has clearly understood the value of having a strong athletic program. He believes having outstanding teams is the best way to connect alums back to the campus to support our teams and reconnect to Cal in multiple ways. One quick example was this prior week SAE Fraternity host of both basketball teams for the students and some alumni supporters - I reached out and asked him to show up and say a few words - He did and was genuine in his support and love for Cal. Very powerful to all the programs and the donors that there is support from the top.

Thanks so much 4thgen. You get it, and I appreciate it.
okaydo
TheFiatLux said:

okaydo said:

How was Rich Lyons responsible for Gameday coming to Cal?

How was Bear Insider responsible for Gameday coming to Cal?

How is Rich Lyons' use of social media unusual?

Lyons has tweeted 3 times since September 16:

Here is a small sample of University of Michigan president Santa Ono's tweets since September 16:

TheFiatLux
okaydo said:

TheFiatLux said:

okaydo said:

Here is a small sample of University of Michigan president Santa Ono's tweets since September 16:

So your argument is that one University President has tweeted twice more than Lyons since Sept 16th, a totally random point in time. and all but one of those tweets barely registered a blip. I don't think you're making the point you think you are (to be fair, you never are).
okaydo
TheFiatLux said:

okaydo said:

TheFiatLux said:

okaydo said:

So your argument is that one University President has tweeted twice more than Lyons since Sept 16th, a totally random point in time. and all but one of those tweets barely registered a blip. I don't think you're
making the point you think you are (to be fair, you never are).

I don't give a *****about the University of Michigan or Michigan football. But Santa Ono is such a prolific tweeter that I know who the hell he is. I don't even know the names of the people who run Stanford or UCLA.

Why are Rich Lyons' tweets so special that make them "almost unheard of in academia"?

Also:

TheFiatLux
okaydo said:

TheFiatLux said:

okaydo said:

TheFiatLux said:

okaydo said:

So your argument is that one University President has tweeted twice more than Lyons since Sept 16th, a totally random point in time. and all but one of those tweets barely registered a blip. I don't think you're

I don't give a *****about the University of Michigan or Michigan football. But Santa Ono is such a prolific tweeter that I know who the hell he is. I don't even know the names of the people who run Stanford or UCLA.

Why are Rich Lyons' tweets so special?

Also:

You don't give a f'ck about him, but he's your proof point. Got it. He's so prolific a tweeter that 80% of the tweets YOU post of his, had 30 likes or so... he's really prolific and setting the social media on fire.

Rich was working behind the scenes with ESPN. You wouldn't have access to that information to know it.

No one said Bear Insider was alone responsible for GameDay coming to Berkeley but one of our BearInsider notables has been responsible for our NIL, which has created buzz, and billboards throughout ACC country and more. And others have created buzz for us (they are insiders which you don't pay for, so I can see where you would not be fully informed.)

Again, I don't think you're making the point you think you are.
Big C

People need to understand...

For the past half century (that's as far as I go back) Cal Chancellors ranged from openly-hostile-to-Athletics (many of them) to I-want-to-help-but-I-don't-really-know-what-to-do (Chancellor Christ, though she did absorb 1/2 our stadium debt... Thx!).

Rich Lyons is so far above any of his semi-recent-predecessors in terms of supporting Cal Athletics that it's not even funny. And yet some people are complaining that he didn't fire the AD right away.

Folks, let's realize and appreciate what we have right now (and hopefully it's not too late).
okaydo
TheFiatLux said:

okaydo said:

TheFiatLux said:

okaydo said:

TheFiatLux said:

okaydo said:

Why are Rich Lyons' tweets so special?

Also:

You don't give a f'ck about him, but he's your proof point. Got it. He's so prolific a tweeter that 80% of the tweets YOU post of his, had 30 likes or so... he's really prolific and setting the social media on fire.

Rich was working behind the scenes with ESPN. You wouldn't have access to that information to know it.

No one said Bear Insider was alone responsible for GameDay coming to Berkeley but one of our BearInsider notables has been responsible for our NIL, which has created buzz, and billboards throughout ACC country and more. And others have created buzz for us (they are insiders which you don't pay for, so I can see where you would not be fully informed.)

Again, I don't think you're making the point you think you are.

If there was no "Calgorithm," would Gameday still be coming to Cal?

I doubt it.

I bet you disagree.

But you have to truly do something truly unique to be a college football program that lands College Gameday while being unranked while coming off a loss.

And that something truly unique is the Calgorithm.

And that was my point.

We aren't the only school that has a leader working behind the scenes who is passionate about their football team.

We aren't the only school with alumni who are spending a lot of money on NIL and on buying billboards to create buzz.

But we are the only school with a subset of fans who've created a "Calgorithm" that has generated headlines and social media posts for weeks and weeks.

And that Calgorithm exists outside of Rich Lyons and outside of Bear Insider, though of course there is some overlap with the latter. (That's also my point.)

(Your thread title "This is what I was hoping for when we hired Rich Lyons!!!" also implies that Lyons was solely responsible for all this excitement. And you link to a tweet of a top BART employee who, as far as I can tell, decided to use her own clout on a Sunday morning to push BART to accommodate College Gameday.)

It's hard to capture the college football world's attention when there are so many college football teams, each with their own marketing departments.

Of course, Bear Insider played some role. Of course, the chancellor played a role. He is the chancellor, after all.

But the Calgorithm has captured the attention of a sports world that is not only consumed with college football, but the NFL, the WNBA playoffs, the NBA, the NHL and Major League Baseball.

Even Rece Davis is hashtagging #Calgorithm.

6956bear
Calgorithm is likely the biggest single reason for Gameday coming to Cal. But lots of folks have worked hard for this Saturday. In the end Rich Lyons' support will be crucial for the program to take the additional needed steps for the program to get to where we all want it to be.

For me I am just very happy to see Cal have this event taking place on Saturday. At the beginning of this season few thought this could happen. Throwing rocks at each other over who is most responsible IMO is missing the larger point. Cal can come together and achieve great things.

I love Calgorithm. It is unique, clever and funny and has captured the college football media. But long success will take all of the Cal community. And that includes Rich Lyons, BI, CaLegends and the everyday fans as well as Calgorithm.

But on Saturday Gameday will be here. Marshawn will be on stage as the guest picker. The GOAT (Nick Saban) will be in the house. The irreverant Pat McAfee will be on hand. Lee Corso will likely put on the Miami Headgear and will get booed roundly.

Oh and there is game as well. 7:30 vs Miami. The "U". It will be loud and a great atmosphere. Now lets win the game. That might be something we can all agree on.
okaydo
Also: A lot of people on this board hate being associated with the word "Berkeley."

But being associated with the weirdness of "Berkeley" is what distinguishes us, it's what the Calgorithm embraced and it's what Gameday finds appealing.

SBGold
This is correct. I have hope for Lyons for sure, but he has not done anything yet to move the needle on anything for athletics.
6956bear
SBGold said:

This is correct. I have hope for Lyons for sure, but he has not done anything yet to move the needle on anything for athletics.
Most of what the Chancellor will do is not in the public space. What I think most folks believe is nothing is not firing Knowlton or anyone in Marketing. But despite what many believe Gameday is not here if Lyons is not working behind the scenes. Calgorithm is great and has put Cal into the spotlight. But Gameday being here is a group effort.

TheFiatLux
okaydo said:

(Your thread title "This is what I was hoping for when we hired Rich Lyons!!!" also implies that Lyons was solely responsible for all this excitement. And you link to a tweet of a top BART employee who, as far as I can tell, decided to use her own clout on a Sunday morning to push BART to accommodate College Gameday.)

Once again, just a terrible take on what I said. Whether you inferred it or not, that is not remotely what I implied. I literally didn't mention anything about him being responsible for GameDay, I didn't even mention GameDay (except tangentially in the tweet from BART I included) ... what I did was talk about his engagement... used what I even said was a small example about him thanking BART... And somehow you ran with that in a bizarre way. I can't tell if it's obstinance or a lack of comprehension, or something else, but it's what I come to expect from you. You're probably an awesome person outside of this site, and you tend to be a decent person on, but sometimes when interacting with me you pick at strawmen that baffles me as to why you do it. You basically ruin a thread, that was just meant to express excitement.
Jeff82
A big part of the job of the chancellor is to provide liaison between Cal and other institutions we need to work with. BART's decision to run special trains for Gameday and after Saturday night's game is probably an example of that. It wouldn't surprise me if Lyons had picked up the phone and contacted someone on the BART board, or someone high in their administration, and specifically asked them to do this.

Yes, I wish he had gotten rid of Knowlton right away. My assumption is he hasn't yet, because of the need to try and make a case for firing him for cause based on the McKeever situation, rather than paying off his contract. Knowing that a wrongful termination suit is a virtual certainty, he has to overcome the natural reticence of the lawyers and make sure the ducks are in a row.

He certainly spends more time interacting with and talking about Cal athletics than any of his recent predecessors, and that is a good thing.
SBGold
6956bear said:

SBGold said:

Most of what the Chancellor will do is not in the public space. What I think most folks believe is nothing is not firing Knowlton or anyone in Marketing. But despite what many believe Gameday is not here if Lyons is not working behind the scenes. Calgorithm is great and has put Cal into the spotlight. But Gameday being here is a group effort.

i'd actually look more to what is the game experience. Are we doing anything to get students in? The free tix drop he mentioned before, where is that?
HighlandDutch
Uh oh. Now you've done it, Wilner. My advice is to delete your account NOW. Okaydo is coming.

SBGold
HighlandDutch said:

Uh oh. Now you've done it, Wilner. My advice is to delete your account NOW. Okaydo is coming.

It's a good shot, but he actually doesn't post often so seems like a stretch?
TheFiatLux
HighlandDutch said:

This got a legit LOL from me!!
bear2034
BarcaBear
Oakbear said:

BarcaBear said:

if you are gushing over a tweet then you most definitely have embarassingly low expectations.

you guys are handing out handies because the guy or his assistant send out a tweet ffs.
seriously, get a firm grip.

lolol

I meant get a grip on reality, not on the chancellor's member.
BarcaBear
You asked the right questions. And it aet people off

the sunshine pumpers on here have lathered themselves up into a fervor over their new saviour so if the man farts in their direction they're bound to praise his digestive system for making Cal football relevant nationally. lol

We all know that Game Day came to Cal because of Miami's ranking and because the Calgorithm got notices on the East Coast. But really, we should be thanking Miami for being ranked and for Georgia and Alabama playing last week and no ranked matchips this week
Haloski
Jesus Christ, you must be a blast at parties.
annarborbear
I was at Michigan for several decades. 100,000 people will show up to their games no matter what the UM President does. Lyons, on the other hand, is taking on the responsibility of inspiring, improving and keeping us alive for the next generation of Cal fans and alumni. Could not have made a better choice.
calumnus
annarborbear said:

I was at Michigan for several decades. 100,000 people will show up to their games no matter what the UM President does. Lyons, on the other hand, is taking on the responsibility of inspiring, improving and keeping us alive for the next generation of Cal fans and alumni. Could not have made a better choice.

People, all of it can be true: 1) Lyons is the best chancellor we could imagine for Cal sports going forward, 2) He really hasn't done anything to fulfill that promise yet (the tweets are good indicator he will, but are not significant in of themselves) and 3) this is only his third month at the helm, give him some time, at least until year end.
Fred Bear
Some years back, people were falling all over each other giving Carol Christ praise for being this awesome chancellor for athletics as well. By the end of her tenure, we had a scandal with a head swim coach abusing her athletes, an absentee athletic director with an inconceivably long contract extension despite no achievements, and Wilcox is still the head coach of football.

Rich Lyons gets credit when Knowlton and Wilcox are gone and replaced with people who know what they are doing and not a second before. And hopefully that new athletic director does something that's been overdue for decades now and cleans house in the athletic department.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.