Story Poster
Cal Football

Cal Football Tuesday Weekly Presser

October 15, 2024

Cal head coach Justin Wilcox, OC Mike Bloesch, DC Peter Sirmon, QB Fernando Mendoza, OLB Cheikh Fall and center Will McDonald talk to the media in this week's weekly presser.

Mike's had success combining being an offensive coordinator and a O line coach at North Texas, but the offices of season is ranked 100 and 32nd sacks allowed and 100 and 11th nationally and red zone conversion with the O line being such a hands on coaching job as the biggest position group in the field, has the men thoughts of bringing in an offensive consultant like you did a couple of years ago, or having maybe Sterling take a bigger role in play calling to give Mike more time to work with the line. 

“Well, the play calling and the game planning is a collaborative effort by the offensive staff. I understand the question. Obviously, we are struggling. The sacks are what they are. I mean, that is totally unacceptable. We can't get sacked that many times. The O-line has a lot to do with that. The running backs and protections have a lot to do with that. There are times when the quarterback has got to do a better job. So it's an offensive issue that has to be resolved. I mean, it is what it is. It's a major problem that needs to be resolved.

“The red zone scoring, same thing, we have to be able to find ways to put the ball in the end zone scoring plays. So that's schematics, it's execution, it's kicking and making field goals, all those things matter. So you know, Mike has done this in the past. I understand your question but right now, we are not doing that (bringing in a consultant or other suggested changes). We are looking forward to executing at a higher level. We have to do a better job as coaches and players collectively to make that happen."

Expanding on the struggles with the offensive line, Wilcox noted:

"It's our job as coaches to get our players to play at their potential. That's our job as coaches. And if there are things that we're asking them to do that they can't physically do, then we need to change, adjust schematically, however we might need to do that, whether it's more and more people in protection, whether it's getting the ball on the perimeter. But there are things that we're asking them do that they physically can do, so there's shared responsibility there. (We need) the coaches and the players to go out there and execute it.

“We had opportunities last week two different times in 7-man protections to get the ball launched down the field, one-on-one to Trond (Grizzell) with a lot of air, and we didn't get either of those balls off, and that's very frustrating. We had seven-on-four, and that's just totally unacceptable. So from coaches and players alike, we need to do a much better job, whether in protection, running the ball whatever it is, because obviously it's an issue, and we can't allow the bad football and that's what we're seeing from time to time. There's also times when they do their job and they play with great technique and effort and with an attitude and a physicality when you're seeing good football. We're just not seeing enough of it."

Cal’s placekicking woes under kicker Ryan Coe have continued to plague the team throughout the season and Saturday’s loss to Pitt that included a missed 40-yard field goal in the closing minutes was no exception.

The fifth-year senior came into the season converting 82% of his field goals but so far in 2024, he’s hit only 7-of-14 field goal attempts.

Wilcox stated that this week would be an open competition between Coe and frosh kicker Derek Morris and talked about Coe’s struggles and how they’re addressing them.

"Ryan's a very talented young man. He has put it on tape before. We've seen it up close before. This is a difficult one, because he does have the ability. He does have the talent. He has seen it and shown it before. The snaps and holds have been good. Protection isn't always perfect, but it's been good enough. He's got to work through it. I mean, that's what has to happen.

“There's coaching. We've got Ryan Longwell here, who knows more about kicking and punting and snapping than most anybody out there and we have training available. We've got support available in different ways for Ryan, and we're going to support him to be at his best, and what we see this week, we won't announce it, but we'll see how it goes this week, and make the determination late in the week to see which direction we go at the placekicking position."

NC State was projected to finish fourth in the ACC but have fallen far short of preseason optimism so far, going 0-3 in conference like the Bears and 3-4 overall.

"I think there's some similarities,” Wilcox noted. “They lost the last two games, very close games. Had chances to win. They've had some injuries, as well. They're a talented group coach. Dave Doeren is a very, very good coach. Got a ton of respect for him and how they play offensively. They've got a young quarterback (frosh  CJ Bailey -66% comp rate, 6 TDs, 4 INT) who's very gifted. He's a young guy, but he's got arm talent. He's athletic. The receiver, #10 (KC Concepcion - 39 catches for 312 yds and 4 TDs) is a phenomenal player. The two backs (Jordan Waters - 260 yds, 2 TDs and Kendrick Raphael - 277 yds, 3 TDs) are kind of a two-headed monster. The left tackle #74 (Anthony Belton) is a very, very gifted player.

“Defensively, kind of odd front outfit, middle safety, they'll max drop you. They play man, they'll zero blitz you. They're a talented team, and I think they're fighting, too, and it's a flip of a coin on a couple of their games, and their record's not very different. So I see a lot of similarities in the team. We've got a ton of respect for them, and we're going to need to go play winning football for four quarters, find a way (to win).”

OC/OL coach Mike Bloesch was next on the mic.

Bloesch was asked about a couple controversial playcalling decisions during the game including going for a 2-point conversion on a trick play, with holder Lachlan Wilson taking the snap after Cal’s opening touchdown, rolling right and throwing to snapper David Bird (which failed) and the decision to run a keeper by backup QB Chandler Rogers that appeared to be more about burning clock and positioning the kick rather than a first down or TD, followed by a field goal attempt by struggling kicker Ryan Coe with almost two minutes left on the clock for Pitt to rally if the kick was made.

"I think obviously, when you go back and look at it, that's something that in hindsight, obviously it didn't work out the way we anticipated," Bloesch said of the end of the last drive. "We thought we had a good run with multiple options there (on third down). We could keep the clock running, we felt like we were in a good spot from a field position standpoint, and we also had not done a great job of protecting the quarterback up to that point, so definitely did not want to go backward there in that situation. But definitely, probably could have went with something different."

And on the extra kick?

"I believe coach Wilcox had spoke on that," Bloesch said. "That was kind of a decision that he had made pregame of what he wanted to do in that situation. We actually had our field goal team on the field there that was a special teams play."

Bloesch was also asked about his thoughts on the offensive line play.

“Not great. I mean, obviously, the pass protection has been an issue. We want to be aggressive and push the ball down the field. We had some really big opportunities that we left on the field with with some seven-man protections, so that was definitely disheartening to go back and watch that on tape and and see guys running wide open down the field on some of those plays. So we've got to continue to do a good job of coaching those guys, getting them better, but then also putting them in situations that are maybe a little bit more conducive on those shot plays.”

Last season’s line was a marked improvement over the prior several season’s line after Bloesch took over for Angus McClure as OL coach but this season has shown a major regression in several categories.

"Not great,” Bloesch said of the OL performance this season. “I mean, obviously the pass protection has been an issue. We want to be aggressive and push the ball down the field. We had some really big opportunities that we left on the field with some seven-man protections, so that was definitely disheartening to go back and watch that on tape and see guys running wide open down the field on some of those plays. So we've got to continue to do a good job of coaching those guys, getting them better, but then also putting them in situations that are maybe a little bit more conducive on those shot plays.”

Early in the season, the Bears led the nation in turnovers and in interceptions but their turnover production has fallen off in their three-game losing streak. Defensive coordinator Peter Sirmon was asked for insight to the quick turnover start and the recent dropoff.

"I think when the when the turnovers come, sometimes they come in streaks," Sirmon noted. "You know, typically those things are influenced by the front, overthrown tip balls, guys under duress. You see a lot of those interceptions. That's some component of that. Where I think we need to continue to build on is forcing the fumbles. That's where we've had some fumbles on the ground that, unfortunately, we didn't get on. But attacking the football. When you're a team that does take the ball away, I know from being in the meetings, that's a big point of emphasis for the offense, so they do a good job of taking care of the football. But those are things that sometimes when they when they come in bunches, it feels like there should be an explanation. And then sometimes, when it gets a little bit cold, you're looking for explanations as well.

“I think being plus two yesterday, with the two interceptions versus that team, I thought it gave an opportunity to find a few more possessions. But big picture, disruptive up front, getting the quarterback off his spot, tipped balls. Tips and overthrows, that old adage, and then we have to do a better job of attacking the football once the ball is caught or it's a running play, and trying to punch that ball out."

Sirmon was also asked about the team’s response to losing three straight games they easily might’ve won.

"Well, I've been doing football for a long time, and football can be can be lonely when you don't get the results that you want," Sirmon said. "It can be extremely discouraging. But I think when you don't get the result that you desire, you can't lose your enthusiasm due to discouragement. So what we talk about here is, we're going to keep on pounding the rock. You know, Justin had a really good metaphor for us. You know, we all got to pick up a hammer. We all have to do our part. Doesn't matter if you're a coach a player, anyone associated with the program, we all have to look at ourselves and think, okay, what can I do to help the team in whatever my capacity is, if you're the defensive coordinator, if you're the scout team quarterback, it doesn't really matter.

“So I think when you look at things internally and you try to find solutions that can motivate you when you feel things are out of your control, that's when I believe things kind of fall off the handles like, well, there's nothing I can do about it, and you lose the ownership. As long as we keep the perspective of, I control my production to this team, and you feel you're in control of your future, I expect these guys to come out every single day, ready to play, ready to practice, and go out there and give their very best effort."

The Bears will face 3-4 (0-3) North Carolina State this Saturday in Cal’s homecoming game at 12:30 pm at Memorial Stadium on the ACC Network.

Discussion from...

Cal Football Tuesday Weekly Presser

578 Views | 3 Replies | Last: 2 hrs ago by 82gradDLSdad
LunchTime
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Run it through ChatGPT

Quote:

Cal head coach Justin Wilcox, OC Mike Bloesch, DC Peter Sirmon, QB Fernando Mendoza, OLB Cheikh Fall, and center Will McDonald spoke to the media in this week's presser.

Mike has had success combining the roles of offensive coordinator and O-line coach at North Texas, but the offense this season ranks 132nd in sacks allowed and 111th nationally in red zone conversions. With the O-line being such a hands-on coaching job and the largest position group on the field, have you considered bringing in an offensive consultant, like you did a couple of years ago, or maybe having Sterling take a bigger role in play calling to give Mike more time to focus on the line?

"Well, play calling and game planning are collaborative efforts by the offensive staff. I understand the question. Obviously, we are struggling. The sacks are what they are. That is totally unacceptable. We can't allow that many sacks. The O-line plays a significant role in that, but so do the running backs in protection. There are also times when the quarterback needs to do a better job. So, it's an offensive issue as a whole that has to be resolved. It's a major problem that needs fixing.

"The red zone scoring is the same thing. We have to find ways to put the ball in the end zone. It's about schematics, execution, and making field goalsall those things matter. Mike has handled this role before, and I understand your question. But right now, we are not making any changes like bringing in a consultant. We're focused on executing better. We, as coaches and players, have to collectively do a better job to make that happen."
Golden One
Synopsis: "We've got to do a better job." Very insightful media session.
82gradDLSdad
Golden One said:

Synopsis: "We've got to do a better job." Very insightful media session.
Like an incumbent politician saying they will address the problems.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.