Gldnbear71: 1947-2012. RIP

30,673 Views | 138 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by burritos
Ldbcalbear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Dear Cal Fans:

It's my sad and somber duty to report that Gary Moore, who was known throughout the Cal cyber community as Gldnbear71, died today after a lengthy battle against appendix cancer. He was 64.

Gary Leon Moore grew up in Visalia. He graduated from Mt. Whitney High School in 1965 and from College of The Sequoias in 1967, then matriculated to Berkeley where he earned his bachelors degree in engineering in 1971. At Cal he met his future wife, the former Jill Mickelberry. He is survived by her, by their children Mike, Tom, Sarah, Teresa and Danny, and five grandchildren.

Gary was a diehard and loyal Cal fan who attended numerous Golden Bear games, both home and away. For football he always liked to sit in the endzone so he could see how the plays developed. He was a frequent poster on the various Cal fora on the Internet, from the old GoBears mailing list to Cyberbears.org to The Bear Insider. He loved Cal and wasn't afraid to say so. He'd take on Trojan Warrior or any other poster who dared to say anything bad about his beloved Golden Bears, let them have it with both barrels and put them in their place. I loved reading his posts.

And he was one of my best friends. We went to many Cal games together, and often met at Kips or LaVals for pizza, ravioli and beer after Golden Bear home games. I visited him often at his cabin in the Sierra above Bass Lake, where we would watch videos of Cal games and talk at length about the Golden Bears, or sports in general or anything else. We had a lot of fun on those trips. Spending a week with him up there was the highlight of my summer for over a decade.

Gary Moore was a loyal Californian who's heart was strong and bold. I'm sure has already been greeted in heaven by my dad and the many loyal Cal fans there. He will be missed. May he rest in peace.

Larry Barker
Fallon, NV

Bobodeluxe
Rip
beeasyed
RIP, loyal Bear!
davetdds
R.I.P. GB71. he truly was a " Sturdy Golden Bear " We were all better because of him. Goooo Bears!!!!
SoFlaBear
RIP.

Thanks for being the bearer of sad news. He was a great Golden Bear fan who will be missed.
SoCalBear323
R.i.p. Gb71
SanseiBear
My deepest condolences to Jill70 and the Moore ohana. I will miss GldnBear71 who was one of the first to welcome me to the old board some 13 years ago. Thanks for the memories, Gary.
manus
Adios.
davetdds
Like retireing a # in sports, we should retire " handles " in a BI Hall of Fame. What say you GreyBear
BBIGN
Ldbcalbear;841958427 said:

Dear Cal Fans:

It's my sad and somber duty to report that Gary Moore, who was known throughout the Cal cyber community as Gldnbear71, died today after a lengthy battle against appendix cancer. He was 64.

Gary Leon Moore grew up in Visalia. He graduated from Mt. Whitney High School in 1965 and from College of The Sequoias in 1967, then matriculated to Berkeley where he earned his bachelors degree in engineering in 1971. At Cal he met his future wife, the former Jill Mickelberry. He is survived by her, by their children Mike, Tom, Sarah, Teresa and Danny, and five grandchildren.

Gary was a diehard and loyal Cal fan who attended numerous Golden Bear games, both home and away. For football he always liked to sit in the endzone so he could see how the plays developed. He was a frequent poster on the various Cal fora on the Internet, from the old GoBears mailing list to Cyberbears.org to The Bear Insider. He loved Cal and wasn't afraid to say so. He'd take on Trojan Warrior or any other poster who dared to say anything bad about his beloved Golden Bears, let them have it with both barrels and put them in their place. I loved reading his posts.

And he was one of my best friends. We went to many Cal games together, and often met at Kips or LaVals for pizza, ravioli and beer after Golden Bear home games. I visited him often at his cabin in the Sierra above Bass Lake, where we would watch videos of Cal games and talk at length about the Golden Bears, or sports in general or anything else. We had a lot of fun on those trips. Spending a week with him up there was the highlight of my summer for over a decade.

Gary Moore was a loyal Californian who's heart was strong and bold. I'm sure has already been greeted in heaven by my dad and the many loyal Cal fans there. He will be missed. May he rest in peace.

Larry Barker
Fallon, NV

Condolences...A great participant here and sounds like a wonderful person off the boards as well...

BBIGN
Looperbear
SanseiBear;841958445 said:

My deepest condolences to Jill70 and the Moore ohana. I will miss GldnBear71 who was one of the first to welcome me to the old board some 13 years ago. Thanks for the memories, Gary.

Well said. I share the same sentiments.
diva1
A very passionate Bear fan RIP
pingpong2
Damn, something like this really puts everything in perspective . RIP.
KevBear
RIP Gldnbear71.
bluepod
How sad and a sober reminder to those of us of the same age how fleeting is life and how randomly death selects. Yet another in a long list of Old Blues of my acquaintance who will only see Pasadena on New Year's Day from a different seat.
Nasal Mucus Goldenbear
I never had the pleasure of meeting GB71 in person but had several exchanges with him online. He was always, without a single exception, fair, helpful, patient, and good-humored.

My condolences and best wishes to the Moore family.
BearsLair72
I never met Gary, but I feel like I knew him after all he posted on this board 20,313 times (I just checked) so he may have been the all time diehard BI poster and a true Cal fan. I know that several times since I graduated a year behind that I traded posts with him and he was so gracious and one of the people up here that always knew how to say something with tact and diplomacy. Plus anyone that has that many posts has to be one of the great Cal fans of all time. I remember one Spring game where some of us showed up at the 50 and I always hoped to meet him and alas that will not happen.

I wish he had gotten his Rose Bowl and he will really be missed up here and I am deeply saddened by his passing...RIP Gary!!!

:cry:
BerlinerBaer
RIP, sir.
HaasBear04
Yup rest in peace. Damn shame we couldnt get a rosebowl for him.
OneKeg
RIP GB71. I never met him but it's impossible not to remember his online persona fondly over the years.

Condolences to his family and may Oski be with him.
LethalFang
One of my favorite posters to discuss football, always reasonable. :cry:
RonO
Damn. I met Gary maybe a dozen years ago, back when cyberbears was more about community than content. We'll miss him.
goldenbear2005
rip sturdy golden bear
calumnus
Larry, thanks for letting us know. He was a great Bear. My condolences to you and the Moore family.

Are you going to be at the ASU game? I'd like to get together and drink a toast to Gary.
Cal_Fan2
Happy Trails to our beloved and sturdy Golden Bear....the pleasure was entirely ours. May your memory be cherished by those you loved, those who loved you back, and those you touched in so many ways....RIP GldnBear71.
alarsuel
Sad news. RIP.
SanseiBear
Wholeheartedly agree!
hanky1
I never had the chance to meet Gary but I've known him by his handle for almost 12 years. One of the all-time great posters on the various versions of this board.

Ldbcalbear;841958427 said:

Dear Cal Fans:

Larry Barker
Fallon, NV
liverflukes
Sorry for your (and our) loss.

R.I.P brother bear
John Payeback
Sorry to hear this. Slainte Gary, a sturdy Golden Bear indeed.
Phantomfan
That is rough.

Good poster. At least he will have good seats for our next rose bowl.
BeaverDreams
VERY sad to hear this....Gldnbear71 was legendary on ALL of these boards. He came on to our site frequently, as I come on yours...always cordial...always even-keeled. Called it as he saw it, but never disrespectful.

Never met the guy, but feel like I knew him a little bit through this crazy message board community we all share.

RIP Gldnbear71.
bearister
He will be sorely missed. I learned something reading his posts.
1979bear
Thank you for sharing this. On the old board I used to await his comments. He seemed to define the "reasonable man" in his posts, and he was well-informed and generous with what he knew.

RIP Mr Moore.
Cal8488
I'm an infrequent poster, but have been following this board since the early cyberbears days. I remember many great posts from GB71. My thoughts are with his family.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.