Gldnbear71: 1947-2012. RIP

31,010 Views | 138 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by burritos
sbmhsu
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I, like most, knew him only from his posts but even in that light he will be missed. RIP.
WildBear
A Sturdy Golden Bear indeed. You, my friend, will be missed. RIP
Big C
I never met "G. Moore" (as he used to sign some of his posts), but I saw him frequently, from a distance, after he told us where he always sat (the guy in the hat at the top of south tunnel). Heck, after reading his writing for so many years, it's as if I knew him,

My condolences to his family and close friends. RIP, Golden Bear.
Cal Junkie
I knew Gary and Jill fairly well from the message boards and we'd attended several Cal football and basketball games together. This is a sudden and tragic shock. His daughter said he was shaving last Friday but they knew he'd been sick for a year with cancer of the appendix. He went downhill fast on Friday and they knew it could be any time. I used to send him New Mexican Chimayo red chile powder (that's how chili is spelled in New Mexico) and he and his family loved it. It was the only red item he tolerated to my knowledge. He bled blue and gold and this is a very large loss to the Golden Bear community. RIP Gary Moore, you will be very much missed. I am so sad you didn't get your Rose Bowl but some day, when we do win, your spirit will be honored.
Nofado
Rip...
Valleyblue
Very sad news. Even though I never met Gary in person, he felt like a good friend on these boards. Thoughts and prayers to his family.
CaliforniaEternal
Thanks for sharing this sad news. Thank you GB71 for your incredible devotion to the Golden Bears. Your memory will live on through these boards forever.
MolecularBear007
Rip
MiltyBear
R.I.P.

I second the nomination for his handled to be retired and memorialized some where.

I remember his posts since back when I was still in school and this board was on cyberbears... back in 1999 or 2000...

RosebowlbeforeIdie
LodeBear
all these years, GB71's posts have been fun to read. i will miss them. RIP Gary. when those around you who are of similar age pass away, it makes one feel lucky that they still are here. we will miss you
LVBear
RIP Gldnbear71

my sincerest condolences to his family
BearNIt
May he rest in peace and give his family comfort in this difficult time.
KoreAmBear
GB71 was an all-timer and our board is lesser for it. I'm sorry he could not see a Rose Bowl but his legacy is more important. Thanks for embodying the Cal spirit: the Bear will not die, the Bear will not quit.
BeggarEd

RIP to a true Golden Bear
bear2034

RIP Gldnbear71
CalBearS916Fan
R.i.p gldnbear71
Cal Insider
Gldnbear71 was an all-time great poster here.....RIP, you will definitely be missed
GoBears58
A very, very sad day for us all. A great poster and will be sorely missed on this board and in our bear community.
TouchedTheAxeIn82
Dang. Sad news. RIP.
calbare
So very sad - RIP Gary
MoragaBear
Staff
Sad to hear the news. GB71 was a classic Cal fan and BI poster from way, way back.

I remember meeting him for the first time when I saw him in Memorial during practice in his ever-present army green gilligan hat with Cal pins on it.

I sat down with him and introduced myself and we talked about recruiting. He was asking about Mansion and I told him I had some video footage of him from the elite 11 and watched it with him. He was like a kid, all excited to see his mechanics and size. Unfortunately Mansion never panned out but at that point, it seemed like he could be someone might fit in nicely.

Gary was like so many of us here -a little wacky, very earnest, always had an opinion and loved his Golden Bears.

Condolences to Jill and all the Moore family for their great loss. May his passion for the Bears live on in the family for many years to come.
Calfans
Such sad news We've known Gary since the GoBears list. Always looked forward to his posts. He will be missed.

Our condolenses to Jill and family.
dan1997
Cal_Fan2;841958494 said:

Happy Trails to our beloved and sturdy Golden Bear....the pleasure was entirely ours. May your memory be cherished by those you loved, those who loved you back, and those you touched in so many ways....RIP GldnBear71.

I couldn't have said it any better than this. Very sad to hear this. Having been on this board since the beginning, I think we all consider Gary to be one of the staples. Will def give a toast to him before the ASU game. :beer:
BearsWiin
This makes me sad. Good man, sturdy Golden Bear. Condolences.
rugsy
I will miss Gldnbear71, one loyal and passionate Golden Bear!
Agureghian
my condolences to his family
sctawndawg
Rip
CJ Loves Cal
A fine Cal fan and an even finer human being. Condolences to Jill and all the kids and grand kids. We shared many a post game together over the years- and a few fun road trips, too. Am sure dad met him at the gates with a hearty, "Here's to the University of California...." to which Gary of course dutifully replied, "And to hell with the Stanfurd red." We'll be sure to lift a glass to you, too, when we're finally at that Rose Bowl, GB71.

JulianY
RIP
We will miss you!
Calntheplay
I've been trying to get a hold of Gary for nearly two weeks; this is just horrible news. Gary has been on my mind lately-- we haven’t talked about Cal football once this season which was so odd. I keep thinking about what Gary would say about the state of the team this year. His responses were so well reasoned and pure class. I’m going to miss him tremendously.

When I first started posting on the various football boards back in 2004, I noticed what an amazing writer Gary was. When Gary wrote anything, I made a point to study his words because I wanted to be able to express myself similarly in my own writings. I especially enjoyed the way he let the SC trolls have it, pure entertainment. Like Larry said, nobody handled those Trojans trolls or any troll for that matter, better than Gary.

I remember Gary as a very humble man, he never thought of himself as better than anyone else. Even though I graduated from another college, he treated me like I was part of the Golden Bear family which I really appreciated.

Gary was also very thoughtful. I had stopped going to games three years ago due to the additions to my family. Gary would periodically get a hold of me and offer a couple extra tickets so that I could attend a game or two with my nephew or one of my kids.

One memory I have is a phone discussion we had during the ’06 or ‘07 season, we talked for a while about Rugby, and Cal football. At some point he mentioned that he had never been to the Rose Bowl to watch any sort of game, ever. That same year I had plans to go with my cousin(Bruin grad), and asked Gary if he wanted to tag along. We were all planning to go, but with one twist of events after another, none of us made it that year. I never did think to ask if he ever made it to the Rosebowl Stadium.

Either way, next year I’ll have to mark the date on my calendar and attend the UCLA game. Something I’ve always wanted to do. And the next time I tie a lure up on my fishing pole, I’ll be thinking of the old blue. Farewell Friend

Thanks for being the bearer of sad news Larry, I know you and Gary go way back and I hope you and Jill are still able to find some joy attending games. We fans need someone to keep those field goal net operator people in check. Without Gary giving those guys hell at every home game, they’d leave that dam field goal net up all game.

My condolences go out to Jill and the rest of the family.

:gobears:
Strykur
He never got to see us in Pasadena on a January 1. :cry:
Calntheplay
I could never fully understand his belief in Mansion. Now I understand why. Thanks for sharing.

MoragaBear;841958618 said:

Sad to hear the news. GB71 was a classic Cal fan and BI poster from way, way back.

I remember meeting him for the first time when I saw him in Memorial during practice in his ever-present army green gilligan hat with Cal pins on it.

I sat down with him and introduced myself and we talked about recruiting. He was asking about Mansion and I told him I had some video footage of him from the elite 11 and watched it with him. He was like a kid, all excited to see his mechanics and size. Unfortunately Mansion never panned out but at that point, it seemed like he could be someone might fit in nicely.

Gary was like so many of us here -a little wacky, very earnest, always had an opinion and loved his Golden Bears.

Condolences to Jill and all the Moore family for their great loss. May his passion for the Bears live on in the family for many years to come.
OskiMD
Really sad news. He was one of the original cyberbears from the old forum and I wondered why he wasn't posting on BI (I think I remember seeing him post on Scout last year so I figured he was just sticking with that board). He seemed to always write quality posts and really contributed to the board. It's a shame he never got to see his Bears in the Rose Bowl, but maybe at the end it didn't really matter all that much after all. Family and friends and his accomplishments in life probably meant more.

Regardless though, he will be missed.

Rest in peace, Gldnbear71...
pnaidu
RIP Gb71, my condolences to his family and I hope he can be at peace soon.
Rushinbear
Ldbcalbear;841958427 said:

Dear Cal Fans:

It's my sad and somber duty to report that Gary Moore, who was known throughout the Cal cyber community as Gldnbear71, died today after a lengthy battle against appendix cancer. He was 64.

Gary Leon Moore grew up in Visalia. He graduated from Mt. Whitney High School in 1965 and from College of The Sequoias in 1967, then matriculated to Berkeley where he earned his bachelors degree in engineering in 1971. At Cal he met his future wife, the former Jill Mickelberry. He is survived by her, by their children Mike, Tom, Sarah, Teresa and Danny, and five grandchildren.

Gary was a diehard and loyal Cal fan who attended numerous Golden Bear games, both home and away. For football he always liked to sit in the endzone so he could see how the plays developed. He was a frequent poster on the various Cal fora on the Internet, from the old GoBears mailing list to Cyberbears.org to The Bear Insider. He loved Cal and wasn't afraid to say so. He'd take on Trojan Warrior or any other poster who dared to say anything bad about his beloved Golden Bears, let them have it with both barrels and put them in their place. I loved reading his posts.

And he was one of my best friends. We went to many Cal games together, and often met at Kips or LaVals for pizza, ravioli and beer after Golden Bear home games. I visited him often at his cabin in the Sierra above Bass Lake, where we would watch videos of Cal games and talk at length about the Golden Bears, or sports in general or anything else. We had a lot of fun on those trips. Spending a week with him up there was the highlight of my summer for over a decade.

Gary Moore was a loyal Californian who's heart was strong and bold. I'm sure has already been greeted in heaven by my dad and the many loyal Cal fans there. He will be missed. May he rest in peace.

Larry Barker
Fallon, NV

God be with Gary Moore. RIP.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.