Way OT: Popular Food Near Campus When You were a Student

29,626 Views | 172 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by GB54
77Bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
For me, this was in the mid-1970s. There was a Falafel Cart parked daily on the Bancroft sidewalk at Telegraph that often had a line, albeit a short one. I had never heard of falafel before and I wasn't interested in trying it, but the cart seemed to be popular (despite the pervasive aura of rancid grease), at least among hairy-armpit Earth Mothers and mal-nourished Tie-Die Vegetarians. The popularity of the cart piqued my curiosity but it was never enough for me to give it a try.

My preferred post-class hangout with my Cal pals was Kip's -- usually draft pitchers or Black and Tans (Bass Ale and Beck's) with their greasy pizza. During mid-day coffee breaks, the Espresso joint at Bancroft and College (which we referred to as "Espresso Expensive" -- I think the actual name was "Espresso Roma") was an occasional stop. The downside of Kip's was having to hose off the soles of my shoes the next day to remove the sticky beer residue.
UrsaMajor
Sy's on Durant between college and bowditch. Hamburger, fries, and a large lemonade for $0.99. Kip's was a close 2nd, and Larry Blakes for a pitcher or 3...
socaliganbear
Cheeseboard?

Ippudo is opening up next to campus. Not sure if it qualifies, but it's Manhattan popular.
WoodlandBear
The other cool thing about Kip's around this time (I arrived in 1980) was on Saturdays in the Fall if you were on the team, and Cal won, each of the players got a free burger. They would just look at the program, see your picture, and give you your burger.
beeasyed
- top dog
- chipotle (VALUE)
- anything in ghetto, esp. gypsy's, kingpin, steve's
- intermezzo's customizable $4 breakfast burritos
- cheese n stuff (under durant parking structure), mostly just for the value
- cafe milano
- bongo burger
- cheeseboard
- brazil cafe
- gregoire's (for splurging)
- philz coffee
- strada (for the "vibe." i never go into it)
- espresso experience (korean mom&pop, great bulgogi sandwiches & korean fast food)

- briefly, my roommate was obsessed with a brooklyn chicken parm place that opened up across from henry's...closed down a year later
bear2034
Cafe Strada for their mocha bianca's.
bearister
Kips, the Rat, Top Dog, Pizza Haven, Blimpies, Sunshine Inn, and Sandwich-a-Go-Go.
KoreAmBear
Besides the traditional stuff that will be posted in this thread, I remember this Musashi cart that was at Bancroft and Telegraph at the entrance to the campus. I used to get a $3 chicken donburi for lunch like every other day. Anyone remember that one?
NYCGOBEARS
Top Dog, Steve's, Bear Ramen and Kingpin. Those were my joints. I had a buddy who worked at Cafe Fanny who used to hook me up there and at the Cafe at Chez Panisse. Great times.
59bear
Ratskeller for beer, LaVal's (Northside) for pizza, Wilkinson's (Shattuck) for breakfast. There was a hot dog place on Durant (not Top Dog) the name of which escapes me (Oscar's???), ah the ravages of time and abuse on one's memory.
okaydo
I don't know if it's still around, but there was this Mexican restaurant on the Southside that was deemed by the guy who tonight was named the NFL's best player at the ESPY Awards as the best food ever. It was called La Burrita. Have any of you guys heard of it?
tydog
IB Hoagies always hits the spot. Especially if you want a good diarrhea.
DCW67MSW
I loved the Tathskeller on Telegraph. Favorite was the corned beef with Red Cabbage. Larry Blakes in the basement -Pretzels & beer & finished with steak & Caesar salad and another cold beer. Great memories
77Bear
A little farther off campus, but one day after several hours of libating at The Hut on College Ave. my bud talked me into going to Flint's on Shattuck. I recall getting there around midnight and the fluorescent lights there were bothering my eyes.

My bud talked me into ordering the "three-way" which I did, even though I had no idea what it was. I vividly remember it was hot and steamy in there, and the brother behind the counter - whose sweat was dripping from his head into the food in the steam trays where the food was being held - asked if I wanted the "white boy" sauce, the "hot sauce" or if I wanted him to 'tease it.'"
NVBear78
The Comeback Inn was awesome the summer I worked as a Calso counselor...
upsetof86
KoreAmBear;842853431 said:

Besides the traditional stuff that will be posted in this thread, I remember this Musashi cart that was at Bancroft and Telegraph at the entrance to the campus. I used to get a $3 chicken donburi for lunch like every other day. Anyone remember that one?

+1 also one if my go to places
PeninsulaBear
Cocolat. Apparently I was a foodie but didn't know it yet.
upsetof86
I was a Southsider alot of my time there at Castlecrag aptmts.

So...Durant Center: Manuels beer and carne asada burritos, Kingpin, uncertain ground(just for the faux earthquake decor), jade garden.

Top dog, Kips for pitchers and pitchers, Heidelbergs day (and night when it transformed into a chinese menu).

Down the way on telegraph Mezzo, Berkeley Market deli , sometimes joshyu ya and casa de eva for the high back booths and rc gormans across every wall.
docfrom74
In 1968 it was 1.) Dream Fluff donuts, 2.) Bertolas, 3.) Top Dog, 4.) Fentons.
GB54
PeninsulaBear;842853456 said:

Cocolat. Apparently I was a foodie but didn't know it yet.

Holy s$it, Alice Medrich.
upsetof86
docfrom74;842853470 said:

In 1968 it was 1.) Dream Fluff donuts, 2.) Bertolas, 3.) Top Dog, 4.) Fentons.

Fentons, good call.
orindabear74
Jerry's Gross Burger in Northside. Pizza Haven for it's fried chicken dinner.
goldenokiebear
bearister;842853427 said:

Kips, the Rat, Top Dog, Pizza Haven, Blimpies, Sunshine Inn, and Sandwich-a-Go-Go.

You nailed it for me - I'd add King Pin, Manuel's, Heidelberg, LaVal's on Northside, Taiwan on University, down to Bertola's occasionally, & Fenton's. Thanks for the reminder on Blimpie's. And Flint's after a few beers - great place to go at about 2 AM.
calumnus
I miss Flint's
YamhillBear
In my time (early '80's): Bertola's, Bongo Burger, LaVal's, Top Dog, Fondue Fred's, Fentons. Just writing this list is giving me stomach rumblings, of both a good and a bad sort.
nwbear
Zona Rosa and Mario's La Fiesta. The Baked Potato cart on Bancroft at Sproul Plaza.
Go!Bears
I can't be the only one who actually liked Blondies. Mid-70's and early 80's (my two stints at Cal) there was always a line out the door. Yes, mainly it was cheap. But it was also good, once. A long time ago. BTW, there is still a Blondies in Pleasant Hill. As bad as the one on Telegraph just before its merciful demise...
socaliganbear
I enjoyed slices at Blondies just fine. Cheap too.
sp4149
On Northside in the 60's it was kinda sparse (as was my food budget)
Top Dog Late nights at Campbell
Giant Burger (for pie)
LaVals for a movie night at Northside Theater (or whatever it was called)
back then movie and pizza was the pinnacle of my social life
dajo9
oskirules;842853424 said:

Cafe Strada for their mocha bianca's.

+1

I ate at Fat Slice more than anywhere else - but mostly because a slice and a coke was $1.50 or something like that.
auberge
Oscar's at College and Bancroft, long gone, and the Kingfish for beer once a week. Brennan's on Fourth street off University on Sunday nights, when the sorority I hashed at didn't serve dinner.
BearDevil
YamhillBear;842853522 said:

In my time (early '80's): Bertola's, Bongo Burger, LaVal's, Top Dog, Fondue Fred's, Fentons. Just writing this list is giving me stomach rumblings, of both a good and a bad sort.

Same era. Would add Blondie's, Giant Burger, and the Soup Kitchen. Forget the name, but there was a Chinese place with good hot & sour soup near People's Park (roughly at Bowditch and Haste or Dwight).

A friend claims he had Blondie's for dinner roughly every other night while in law school at Hastings. Decent hoof for mediocre slices. Tenderloin methadone clinics probably had better food.
cbadbear
nwbear;842853528 said:

Zona Rosa and Mario's La Fiesta. The Baked Potato cart on Bancroft at Sproul Plaza.

Three of my favorites...you must have been an early to mid '90's guy.
NYCGOBEARS
Not to go OT, but my wife and I are on vacation in upstate NY. We'd just arrived in Saranac Lake Village, parked in the quaint downtown area and saw a place called Bitters & Bones, which was highly recommended for their farm to table food and craft beer. Upon entering we were engaged by a pleasant barkeep and after sitting down at the bar heard a loud "Go Bears!" emanate from the kitchen (I'm wearing a Cal sweatshirt). The owner came out and explained that he was actually a UCLA alum but had always loved Berkeley much more than Westwood. Better food, more eclectic, etc. if any of you ever find yourself here, I'd highly recommend this place. Very impressive food, atmosphere, drinks and hospitality.
upsetof86
NYCGOBEARS;842853566 said:

Not to go OT, but my wife and I are on vacation in upstate NY. We'd just arrived in Saranac Lake Village, parked in the quaint downtown area and saw a place called Bitters & Bones, which was highly recommended for their farm to table food and craft beer. Upon entering we were engaged by a pleasant barkeep and after sitting down at the bar heard a loud "Go Bears!" emanate from the kitchen (I'm wearing a Cal sweatshirt). The owner came out and explained that he was actually a UCLA alum but had always loved Berkeley much more than Westwood. Better food, more eclectic, etc. if any of you ever find yourself here, I'd highly recommend this place. Very impressive food, atmosphere, drinks and hospitality.

Nice rec im writing it down. I used to live im upstate miss the summer and fall. Hell winters werent that bad either if you knew how to navigate it.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.