UC Cop removes cash from hot dog vendors wallet....

4,728 Views | 40 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by ColoradoBear
calbear93
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Unit2Sucks said:

I feel bad for the cop too. I'm sure when he dreamed of growing up to be a police officer (as my 3 year old does), that he never dreamed he would be a UCPD bike cop wearing a helmet and shorts to work and clamping down on unlicensed street meat during sporting events.

I think this sort of thing could only happen at Cal where you have the collision of a clueless administration, a challenging environment and a socially/politically engaged population.

I'm hopeful that Juan gets a permit (along with everyone else) and ends up with a booming bacon-wrapped hotdog business. Nothing would be more California than that.

If there is an opportunity for UC Berkeley (whether they are at fault or not) to mess up on the PR department, they will fully exploit that opportunity. We are just that disciplined.
calbear93
azulviejo said:

So we let the tree sitters alone for months. (costing UC lot's of money)
And we hassle, a guy trying to make a buck and feed his kids!!!

***?
I'm sorry, but maybe he should have been following the rules that are designed to protect other people who are trying to make a buck and feed their kids and to make sure that kids who eat the hot dog won't get violently ill. Would you feel the same way if it was a white person skirting the rules?

Instead of complaining about the police enforcing the rules, these social justice warriors should volunteer some of their time to help these business folks comply with the rules and make sure that they are selling food in a sanitary conditions.

I like the fact that the guy filming this set up an account to help this person get a food truck with the necessary permit and I do agree that the police officer had no common sense that appearing to be compassionate and helpful goes a long way in actually protecting the folks and getting buy-in from the community. The helpless look of the vendor (who was violating rules designed to protect us) and the apathetic attitude of the police was just a horrible visual. I do not like the fact that the person filming seem to condone the violation of the rules that, when enforced, may one day save his kids.

But let's not act like this is about feeding his kids. This is about protecting the population. If we allowed manufacturing companies to pollute our waters and our air, I am sure they will have more resources to hire more folks who can then make a buck and feed their kids. Breaking the law is not the answer.
Bears2thDoc
Why stop at taking $60 from a hot dog vendor?
Just as an example....I wanted to buy 2500 Virginia St. Corner of Euclid. It was a 4 Br house with an onsite dental office. The property was built as a home and office buy Irving Spare DDS in 1924. It was a dental office continuously until his son William, died a few years ago. CoB told me I couldnt have a dental office there. I showed them that it had been a continuous dental practice for over 70 years. They said there was never a business license issued........I know of other 'professionals" that don't have business licenses either. I'm sure they're worth more than $60.
This is absolutely a 'pick on the little guy" strategy.
UrsaMajor
good point. I was lumping them all together. I do agree with the cost to the university for UCPD, however, although it isn't nearly as much.
sketchy9
calbear93 said:

azulviejo said:

***?
I'm sorry, but maybe he should have been following the rules that are designed to protect other people who are trying to make a buck and feed their kids and to make sure that kids who eat the hot dog won't get violently ill. Would you feel the same way if it was a white person skirting the rules?

Instead of complaining about the police enforcing the rules, these social justice warriors should volunteer some of their time to help these business folks comply with the rules and make sure that they are selling food in a sanitary conditions.

I like the fact that the guy filming this set up an account to help this person get a food truck with the necessary permit and I do agree that the police officer had no common sense that appearing to be compassionate and helpful goes a long way in actually protecting the folks and getting buy-in from the community. The helpless look of the vendor (who was violating rules designed to protect us) and the apathetic attitude of the police was just a horrible visual. I do not like the fact that the person filming seem to condone the violation of the rules that, when enforced, may one day save his kids.

But let's not act like this is about feeding his kids. This is about protecting the population. If we allowed manufacturing companies to pollute our waters and our air, I am sure they will have more resources to hire more folks who can then make a buck and feed their kids. Breaking the law is not the answer.
Can you find an ethical justification for confiscating the guy's cash out of his wallet when he's being cited as well? That's what people are up in arms about. No one really disputes the citation.

And before you say it's the ill-gotten gains from an illegal business-- can you prove that? The onus should be on the government to prove it's illegal money. The whole issue with civil asset forfeiture is that it's the responsibility of the accused (not convicted-- accused) to prove that the money is legit. That's totally ass-backwards.
calbear93
sketchy9 said:

calbear93 said:

azulviejo said:

***?

Can you find an ethical justification for confiscating the guy's cash out of his wallet when he's being cited as well? That's what people are up in arms about. No one really disputes the citation.

And before you say it's the ill-gotten gains from an illegal business-- can you prove that? The onus should be on the government to prove it's illegal money. The whole issue with civil asset forfeiture is that it's the responsibility of the accused (not convicted-- accused) to prove that the money is legit. That's totally ass-backwards.
I'm sorry but you are the only one conflating the issue. I already stated before that the cash has no evidentiary value beyond what a picture would have provided and that the cop lacked common sense taking the cash. If you actually bothered to read what I was responding to, it wasn't a question of cash/no cash. It was a question of why the police bother to "harass" the vendor. Where do you see discussion on cash in the post other than in your unrelated post?
ColoradoBear
What's up with that dude taking the video snitching out people for drinking on campus?
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.