On Being MicMan

15,475 Views | 92 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by okaydo
Calfans
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Quote:

Time as a Cal student is limited, and Ken WAS a mic/man while at Cal. 50+ year olds did not try to decrease Ken's time on the mic then, so Ken should be a better man by extending the current mic/men the same courtesy. I think that is the appropriate outcome here.

*****First of all, Ken IS A CURRENT UNDERGRAD. Natalie Cohen and Bobby Tuck were welcomed back with open arms to lead cheers. No one felt they were decreasing time for the Yell Leaders

Btw, I advocate "mic/people" and including women. The mic/men tradition harkens back to a time when women were clearly second class citizens.

****Back in the day, they weren't MicMen, they were Yell Leaders. I believe Ken was the first MicMan.

Discrimination against women who love Cal & want to lead cheers is also wrong.

Cal-i-for-nia. (Clap, Clap)(Clap, Clap, Clap)

darleneh
Bear19 said:

Chapman_is_Gone said:

Bear19 said:

I stand corrected. "Pathetic" was over the line. If Mrs. Ken is OK with all this and the students are as well, then so be it.

You're an ignorant fool in so many ways. If you're relatively new around here, best to keep your mouth shut for awhile so you don't embarrass yourself.

Hey, now that is over the line.

I've apologized for saying this whole thing was pathetic, and I'm clearly in a minority of one regarding the original post.

If the current mic/men reaffirm that Ken is better off in the stands, then I support them 100%. I would venture that each "generation" of Cal mic/men generally thinks the way they did things is best.

Time as a Cal student is limited, and Ken WAS a mic/man while at Cal. 50+ year olds did not try to decrease Ken's time on the mic then, so Ken should be a better man by extending the current mic/men the same courtesy. I think that is the appropriate outcome here.

If Ken or you think Ken should lead cheers because the current mic/men are ignorant of the "right" way to cheer, then I posit that you've fallen victim to the "back in the old days we did it RIGHT" syndrome. There is no "right" way to cheer, just ways that each of us prefer. Since Ken offered his cheering expertise, and it was not accepted, the courteous thing to do is say "thank you" and be on his way. Continuing to impose himself on the mic/men is wrong.

Btw, I advocate "mic/people" and including women. The mic/men tradition harkens back to a time when women were clearly second class citizens. Discrimination against women who love Cal & want to lead cheers is also wrong.

Wow you still don't get it. I'm 19. I'm a sophomore. Me and my friends would love for ken to be micman. I saw football players commenting on here they want ken. i saw at the game athletes coming up to him IN THE STUDENT SECTION and saying he should be doing it. I have seen other multiple students want ken. I don't think it has anything to do with the current micman, it has all to do with Ken. you sound really bitter and like it's personal.. like you have a person issue with ken... or aybe your a parent of the current micmen... or advisor. because otherwise you woudn't use such mean language. Ken being 50 has notghing to do with anything. You sound like a total ageist. He is just as much a student as we are and i know for a fact that tons of students would love ken back. you made your point, and it's not nice, but we all hear it. The courteous thing would be for the current micman to welcome ken back and for you sto stop. he is not imposing himself at all. I suspect you have some person history with him, and it's not a good. he's probably beat you in life.
JSC 76
Bear19 said:

Btw, I advocate "mic/people" and including women. The mic/men tradition harkens back to a time when women were clearly second class citizens. Discrimination against women who love Cal & want to lead cheers is also wrong.

Perhaps you don't remember Kate Scott, who was the best mic person we've had in the past 20 years.
Bear19
You're right about that. I've seen a lot of HS games also, and generally, what cheerleaders are saying often have no relationship to what is going on in the game. Example: Our team was kicking off to start the 2nd half, and the cheerleaders were doing their thing while shouting "Block that kick, block that kick!"
Bear 19
Bear19
No connection to Ken in "real life," no connection to the mic-men at all. Just a different opinion. Assuming the scope of support for Ken is how you've described, the issue should resolve itself in his favor, yes?
Bear 19
Bear19
Glad to be corrected about young women being "mic-men." Maybe going back to "Yell Leaders" would be appropriate.
Bear 19
vaderbear95
Hey Ken. I so hope you can assist with the mic man gig! You know how to get the crowd going like no one else. Hey San Jose, what school was your first choice?! The family and I actually took the trek up at 4:30 in the morning last Saturday from LA to go to the game. I tried to email you during the game to catch up for a couple minutes but had no service. Hoping to come up for the big game. Maybe we can catch up then.
Mark
darleneh
hi ken, how did the meeting go? I saw this today.

oskioski
darleneh said:

hi ken, how did the meeting go? I saw this today.

wow, it looks like even the teams are starting to push for this.

blungld
Bear19 said:

Glad to be corrected about young women being "mic-men." Maybe going back to "Yell Leaders" would be appropriate.

We're not exactly negotiating Middle East Peace here, but the more you post the more obvious it is that you have no context or knowledge about this subject. You are about as flat out wrong as I've ever seen on these boards.
BeachedBear
blungld said:

Bear19 said:

We're not exactly negotiating Middle East Peace here, but the more you post the more obvious it is that you have no context or knowledge about this subject. You are about as flat out wrong as I've ever seen on these boards.
That was recently solved by the "Pretty Obvious If You Think About Treaty" on the Rickchurian Mortydate
Calfans
I urge everybody to reply to the Mic Man tweet. Cal students should be rewarded by having Ken as Mic Man. He can really fire up a crowd.

He is an undergrad. He has every right to be a MIc Man. Even if he wasn't in school, he should be allowed to lead cheers. Who doesn't remember how great it was to see Natalie Cohen and Bobby Tuck?

Sebastabear
Calfans said:

I urge everybody to reply to the Mic Man tweet. Cal students should be rewarded by having Ken as Mic Man. He can really fire up a crowd.

He is an undergrad. He has every right to be a MIc Man. Even if he wasn't in school, he should be allowed to lead cheers. Who doesn't remember how great it was to see Natalie Cohen and Bobby Tuck?
What's hysterical is that even before you posted this every single reply to the tweet was about how this was a no brainer and they needed Ken ASAP. I'm still struggling to figure out who is opposed to this idea or why. It's like not wanting Clarence Darrow on you school's debate team. Just bizarre,

okaydo
Calfans
I don't remember him at all. He never came back to lead cheers. He would have been a Yell Leader, not Mic Man in those days.

Calfans
Maybe that post is not from the real Cal Mic Man account

TouchedTheAxeIn82
Calfans said:

I don't remember him at all. He never came back to lead cheers. He would have been a Yell Leader, not Mic Man in those days.

Not sure if you're joking or not.
Calfans
TouchedTheAxeIn82 said:

Calfans said:

Not sure if you're joking or not.
I'm not joking.

TouchedTheAxeIn82
Okaydo !!!!!!!!!!!!!
oskioski
Sebastabear said:

Calfans said:

What's hysterical is that even before you posted this every single reply to the tweet was about how this was a no brainer and they needed Ken ASAP. I'm still struggling to figure out who is opposed to this idea or why. It's like not wanting Clarence Darrow on you school's debate team. Just bizarre,

Pretty cool a a 3-time gold medal winning Olympian replied. Funny how they don't think Ken would be accepted by the students.

Calfans
GREAT NEWS!

From Ken's Facebook page:

#TBT #micman style! If you go to the Cal football game this Saturday, no, you haven't stepped into a time machine. That voice you'll be hearing in the 2nd Quarter will in fact be mine. After 25 years I'll be back on the mic with my fellow undergrads (and i guess some grad students!) in the student section!!! and you can be sure when I tell you to GIVE ME A C!!!! that first one is going to suck and you'll have to do it again!!! GO BEARS!!!!

It will be great for the students and other fans to hear Ken pump up the stadium!

ducky23
Calfans said:

GREAT NEWS!

From Ken's Facebook page:

#TBT #micman style! If you go to the Cal football game this Saturday, no, you haven't stepped into a time machine. That voice you'll be hearing in the 2nd Quarter will in fact be mine. After 25 years I'll be back on the mic with my fellow undergrads (and i guess some grad students!) in the student section!!! and you can be sure when I tell you to GIVE ME A C!!!! that first one is going to suck and you'll have to do it again!!! GO BEARS!!!!

It will be great for the students and other fans to hear Ken pump up the stadium!

I didn't believe we could win this game until now
GivemTheAxe
Great news.
Never can live Cal too much.
I remember a few years ago a Cal student in his 30's who had cleaned up his academics in JC. Got into Cal and was very active in Rally Comm. there couldn't have been a greater contributor to Cal spirit.
okaydo
GivemTheAxe said:

Great news.
Never can live Cal too much.
I remember a few years ago a Cal student in his 30's who had cleaned up his academics in JC. Got into Cal and was very active in Rally Comm. there couldn't have been a greater contributor to Cal spirit.

Kate Scott?

Ted Richardson?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.