Pac-12 fines Cal $25,000

11,809 Views | 70 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by calumnus
VolunteerReverie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
bross said:

They have the same rule in the SEC. After their win over Alabama, Auburn was fined for rushing the field.
calumnus
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Blueblood said:

SFCityBear said:

Golden One said:

SFCityBear said:

Golden One said:

JadenceBear said:

Ironically, Cal's AD Mike Williams was an advocate of the rule.
I vaguely recall Joe Starkey going further and saying that Williams actively pushed for the rule.
That figures. He can't be gone soon enough.
This rule, or something like it, is necessary. Hysterical fans rushing a field are an out of control mob, They can and often do result in damage to persons or property, like fans at some overseas soccer games.

I can remember a Big Game, where the score was tied 21-21 when Cal got the ball with seconds left, and Cal's best player, Paul Larson rushed onto the field to kick a long field goal. Before he even got the kick away, thousands of fans (mostly Stanford fans) rushed on to the field, and began tearing down the goal posts. By the time Larson made his kick, the goal posts were just about history. The kick was not a good one, and Cal would not have scored, even if the goal posts had been left in place. But maybe Larson would not have rushed so much, and might have made that field goal, if the posts were not being torn down.

Would you rather still have Sandy Barbour? She played fast and loose with the University's dime, and saddled it with a massive debt for a stadium makeover. She did the same by giving Jeff Tedford and Ben Braun huge contract extensions, and then fired both of them shortly afterwards. In 2013, Cal had the worst graduation rate of any football program in the country. She threw the baseball team under the bus. She gave us Sonny Dykes, who in turn gave us years of a passing offense and the worst defense in the country. She gave us Cuonzo Martin, who gave us a couple of high-powered recruits who soon left, with little success. Then he himself left, and when he did, he left the cupboard almost bare for the next coach.

Williams has few friends on the BI, but he has given us Justin Wilcox and Wyking Jones. We will have to see if those coaches are any good, and can bring Cal some success. I suggest we give them some seasons to do this before we pass final judgment on Williams. I am impressed with Wilcox so far, and am looking forward to the rest of the football season, and to the upcoming basketball season. If these coaches do well, I will be one to give some of the credit to Mike Williams.

No, I wouldn't rather have Sandy Barbour. But why does it have to be a choice between Barbour and Williams? That's like saying "Would you rather have your left eye or your right eye gouged?" Cal deserves much better in the AD role than either of them.
I admit to not hearing every single compliant about Williams, but in the ones I have read here on the Bear Insider, I don't recall any that rose to the level of the damage done to Cal Athletics by Sandy Barbour. I'd like to know more about this, so if you have time, can you mention some of the more egregious complaints you have about Mike Williams? Thanks.

All the things that are cited above about how detrimental Sandy was are true. But, I contend that she was
merely setting Cal up the Program to be competitive like other successful, especially for football and
basketball programs. Her real threat, of course, per my thinking was that she threaten the academic brand name of the University. That is, she was developing a sports management major that would have possibly
accommodated the easy survival of many good stellar athletes. This was her mistake because she undertook a battle that she was never going to win.

I think a sports management (grad) program is a really good idea. No reason it cannot be rigorous--it is a $multi-billion industry. I see two tracks--coaching and front office/management/finance/marketing. Use the interns to staff and innovate our AD and grow our revenues. We will get (and keep) the grad transfers.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.