OT: One of baseball's biggest games is on FS1

1,762 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by okaydo
SoFlaBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Not network TV. Not ESPN or ESPN 2 (which is part of most "basic" cable/satellite packages). Not TNT or TBS (same). FS1 (at least in my market).

Two major market teams (one of whom is arguably the most popular in MLB). in the game that will decide who wins the AL pennant.

To me, MLB needs to shift their season to start earlier (with the first few weeks played in Southern & Western markets, and domes. They should also consider shortening the season. By the time they roll around to what should be their most popular games, all eyes are glued to football and the start of NBA play.
bross
And TCU-Kansas (currently 43-0) is on Fox
Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/benrosssports
SoFlaBear
bross said:

And TCU-Kansas (currently 43-0) is on Fox
College football is a monster, no doubt.

But it's not like this is game 3 -- it's game 7. It's not like it's the Rays and Seattle; it's the New York Yankees and Houston - a major market and a city with a storyline.
okaydo
You make it sound like FS1 is like the Pac-12 Network.

As of earlier this year, FS1 is in 84 million homes to ESPN's 87 million.

Source:
https://sportstvratings.com/how-much-bigger-is-espn-than-fs1-march-2017-cable-coverage-estimates/7680/

My point it's a fairly mainstream sports channel due to its Fox backing.

Personally, I get FS1 and not TBS on YouTube TV.

While I didn't watch the playoffs (except tonight), my 90-something dad did. For FS1 games, I could easily put the game on his iPad or iMac or TV set. (YouTube TV gives you 6 sub accounts.)

For TBS games, I had to find, um, alternative ways to have him watch the games.

SoFlaBear
IIRC (and I may not) ESPN & ESPN 2 are standard on the two basic cables in Omaha, but FS1 is like the next package up. I had to go up two packages and pay extra on top of that to get Pac 12 network.

I'll also say we are odd for a major metropolitan area inasmuch as we do not have Comcast/Xfinity as one of our providers. That may have something to do with it.

I've never heard of basic cable without TBS. WGN maybe, but TBS?
philbert
SoFlaBear said:

To me, MLB needs to shift their season to start earlier (with the first few weeks played in Southern & Western markets, and domes. They should also consider shortening the season. By the time they roll around to what should be their most popular games, all eyes are glued to football and the start of NBA play.
That won't happen since it would be unfair from an attendance/ticket selling perspective to the western and southern teams--they'd be giving up games when school is out. Shortening the season is always a possibility, if both the owners and players are willing to make less money.
SoFlaBear
philbert said:

SoFlaBear said:

That won't happen since it would be unfair from an attendance/ticket selling perspective to the western and southern teams--they'd be giving up games when school is out. Shortening the season is always a possibility, if both the owners and players are willing to make less money.
A few things:

1) Given that most weekday games are night games, I don't see the school factor being particularly big.
2) One way to shorten the season length is to have teams start playing day/night (i.e. where the stadium is cleared after the first game) on Saturdays and possibly Fridays. Same number of games, but more get played on days where people show up. Another way to think of it is play more games per week and play for fewer weeks.
3) Is a shorter regular season really less money? If the games meant more, television viewership and stadium attendance would likely rise. Right now, attending a baseball game, while fun, is usually not an event unless it's a big rivalry. Otherwise, it's another one of 162 games, none of which mean much individually. While the wild card has helped, a lot of teams are essentially playing out the string by early August. I was honored to get to see the Texas Rangers play during a business trip back in June when Beltre was chasing 3000. So I'll pick on them: On Baseball's final regular season of 2017, Texas hosted the Oakland A's. Two teams that finished 23 and 26 games out, respectively. You honestly think anyone is making money on games like that? Is anyone other than rabid fans or degenerate gamblers watching? No. By September, those fans are focused on Cal and the Raiders; on the Cowboys and TCU.

From where I sit, MLB would be better off playing a shorter season of more meaningful games. Go about 100 games (late July); have the all-star game (I'd make it a 3 game series over a weekend), and then start a 16 game playoff that would last roughly 2 months the way the NBA does. With some exceptions (the Christmas day games), nobody pays a lot of attention to the NBA season until after the all-star break. But once the playoffs start, it becomes increasingly compelling viewing. That's what a shorter season and a longer playoff would do for baseball -- give more reason for people to care about baseball in August than about NFL preseason or college football practice.
philbert
I guarantee you if you ask the MLB teams in good weather areas, they will not want to play more of their games early in the season. In addition to the tickets sales issue, you'd create unbalanced road/home schedules.

Good teams will sell 30-40,000 tickets per game plus parking, concessions, and merchandise. It's not insignificant.

You're also not considering TV. Networks pay big bucks for the games and the accompanying eyeballs that sponsors pay to reach via ads. Play fewer games or do things that could lower ratings, I'm sure they'll ask to pay less.
philly1121
It surprised me too that a game 7 for the ALCS was on FSN. More surprising that the game on Fox was pretty sucky. But I guess that's what FOX thinks - more viewership for college football than a baseball game 7.

I think if they were to reduce the season by 12 games it would help. The World Series would have already started and we are only talking about 4 regular season series.
okaydo
Last season was my first without cable in many, many years.

What I learned: Nearly every relevant/important college football game is on a broadcast network.

Yet nearly all the bowl games and playoff games and the championship are on cable. (I believe the Sun Bowl and one other bowl are the only broadcast network bowls, but I could be wrong.

The astounding thing is that the Rose Bowl is on cable.

The Rose Parade is broadcast on ABC, CBS and Fox.

Yet the Rose Bowl is on ESPN. So I had to watch the game on my computer instead of the big screen.

I mean, what else is ABC airing in that timeslot?

TheSouseFamily
Here's an explanation for why the ALCS was on FS1.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sbnation.com/platform/amp/college-football/2017/10/21/16513948/kansas-tcu-football-yankees-astros
SoFlaBear
okaydo said:

The Rose Parade is broadcast in full on HGTV.

I thought ABC broadcast one of the east coast early bowl games (like the Outback Bowl or the Gator Bowl) instead of the parade???
okaydo
SoFlaBear said:

okaydo said:

The Rose Parade is broadcast in full on HGTV.

I thought ABC broadcast one of the east coast early bowl games (like the Outback Bowl or the Gator Bowl) instead of the parade???

ABC broadcasts the first two hours of the Rose Parade, then goes to the bowl game.

I was wrong. CBS apparently stopped covering the Rose Parade about 13 years ago.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.