Ex Cal DL Coach Bill Dutton

5,465 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by MugsVanSant
MiZery
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Did he pass away today?

Lyle Setencich to Andre Carter
26 mins

Andre, coach Dutton passed away this am!!

MiZery
I guess he did, message from Andre

[url=https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100009682458307&fref=nf][/url]
[url=https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100009682458307&fref=nf][/url]

In 1998 following my freshman year Cal Football hired a crazy, politically incorrect, loud mouth, trash talking son of a gun coach named Bill Dutton. I didn't know what to think of him at the time, except what did I get myself into. I never knew that over the next 3 years I would become one of the best defensive ends in the nation. My work ethic was there, my desire and passion was always in me, but every now and then there's a coach that will drill you and drill you to the point where you have nothing left, and from there, dig some more fight . His terms "Gut Check", or " Dig deep in the gut bucket", to this this day still resonate in my ears. He's one of the main reasons why I've bled blue and gold. He taught me so much about playing the game with pride and passion, and embracing every moment on the field . I would run through walls for this man, destroy anything in my path, just to see that small smirk he would give from time to time. That's the level of respect I will always have for him. My heart dropped when I heard the news of his passing, but God bless this man, if anyone is going to leave this world fighting I knew he would do it with his football cleats on. I'm proud to be one of Dutton's Boy. His stance on life lives through me, and I establish that same mindset with my family and the players that I coach today. Enjoy the Heavenly skies coach. From myself and the rest of the Hit Squad, we will see you on the 50 yard line when it's our time to check out. Till then Coach FIRE UP AND FIRE OUT!!!!!!!! Forever Respected, Forever Loved, Forever Our Coach.
KoreAmBear
MiZery said:

Did he pass away today?

Lyle Setencich to Andre Carter
26 mins

Andre, coach Dutton passed away this am!!

RIP coach Dutton.
71Bear
During his Chronicle days, David Bush wrote a great article about Dutton...

http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/Dutton-Coming-in-Loud-and-Clear-After-years-of-2977036.php

Watching him conduct practice was a tutorial in defensive football. He was a straight shooter who didn't mince words.
CannonBlast
Loved listening to him talk football. It was a joy to watch the d-line drills in practice with Andre, Waas, Deloach, Tugbenyoh, et al.

RIP Coach Dutton.
RexBear
My favorite Duttonism: " Don't be an iron reindeer on the front lawn"
upsetof86
Andres words choked me up. God Bless Coach Dutton and his family.
CAL6371
I believe Dutton was part of the Pappy Waldorf teams. He came back to Cal and was the great dline coach under Ray Willsey. He developed many fine linemen - Stan Dzura, OZ White, Ed White, Sherman White. Andre Carter etc. A real character, one of my fellow Daily Cal sports writers wrote an article about an interview with Dutton during which Dutton devised a conditioning program for the writer. I met him once when he came back to Cal under Holmoe. A very open, humorous man who was a real expert in his field. RIP - best dline coach ever at Cal imo.
Blayton99
Coach William Bill Dutton was by far the most influential coach And mentor I have had the privilege to be associated with in my lifetime. The basis of was his flat mandate to have everyone of his players put the work in to make plays, plenty of time in both early outs and late outs on play blockers and reaction machine. I played for Coach D under another great Cal coach Lyle Setincich who fostered the best in his players through straight talk and tough love. During this period, Coach D had me spending more time watching film than going to class. We all knew the plays they were going to run based on set recognition. Like Andre said, the lessons extend into the fabric of my daily life where I refuse to be blocked in anything I do. Those that played for Dutton know the hot poker is the key to get off, the seven rules to rushing the passer, and to make the back row look good by destroying the blocking angles at the point of contact. It would be easy for me to say Coach will be missed, but he lives through each of us every morning we take the field. We all have the burning desire to make a play in our minds eye.
NVBear78
Blayton99 said:

Coach William Bill Dutton was by far the most influential coach And mentor I have had the privilege to be associated with in my lifetime. The basis of was his flat mandate to have everyone of his players put the work in to make plays, plenty of time in both early outs and late outs on play blockers and reaction machine. I played for Coach D under another great Cal coach Lyle Setincich who fostered the best in his players through straight talk and tough love. During this period, Coach D had me spending more time watching film than going to class. We all knew the plays they were going to run based on set recognition. Like Andre said, the lessons extend into the fabric of my daily life where I refuse to be blocked in anything I do. Those that played for Dutton know the hot poker is the key to get off, the seven rules to rushing the passer, and to make the back row look good by destroying the blocking angles at the point of contact. It would be easy for me to say Coach will be missed, but he lives through each of us every morning we take the field. We all have the burning desire to make a play in our minds eye.

Thanks so much for sharing this, Go Bears!
TomBear
Blayton, that's a great testimonial you shared.

I saw his passing mentioned a few days ago, and I wish we had more men like this.

MugsVanSant
I served on Coach Dutton's scout team. He was a coach's coach. A fire burned inside him that ignited his players. It never went out. It may never go out.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.