So...Cal at UCLA. The winner is bowl eligible. The loser goes home.

3,674 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by tequila4kapp
SoFlaBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
and the Bruins coach may/may not be playing for his job.

Thoughts?
AEM80
I watched a little bit of the UCLA/USC game and beating the Bruins is going to be a tough task. It all depends on whether they are mentally prepared. They were mentally prepared tonight and almost beat USC. If they play with the same enthusiasm next week, I don't think the Bears have much of a chance. I think Rosen is going to be the top pick. He's pretty amazing.
SoFlaBear
AEM80 said:

I watched a little bit of the UCLA/USC game and beating the Bruins is going to be a tough task. It all depends on whether they are mentally prepared. They were mentally prepared tonight and almost beat USC. If they play with the same enthusiasm next week, I don't think the Bears have much of a chance. I think Rosen is going to be the top pick. He's pretty amazing.
I think the same can be said if we play with the same enthusiasm. UCLA passed a ton and didn't run much. The trick is going to be keeping Rosen uncomfortable and running offense like we did tonight - big doses of Laird and long drives.
pappysghost
I think we beat them. They are a good matchup for us. Their defense isn't that good and we can defend the pass. 31-24 Bears!!
pappysghost
That was a lame duck game for USC. They were already in the Pac 12 title game and out of the playoff.
OdontoBear66
AEM80 said:

Well, we did one helluva a job against a 16 point favorite, but then that is easy to overlook. We lost, but we did a helluva lot better than we have for years (not that it is a consolation, but is a comparative to what UCLA did)
6956bear
SoFlaBear said:

and the Bruins coach may/may not be playing for his job.

Thoughts?
The Bears need to find a pass rush by Friday. They got no pressure tonight on Costello. Rosen will eat the Bears alive with that sort of time. The Bears should be able to move the ball, but I fear they come up short in a high scoring game.
philly1121
pappysghost said:

I think we beat them. They are a good matchup for us. Their defense isn't that good and we can defend the pass. 31-24 Bears!!

We can defend the pass?? Did we even come close to getting to Costello tonight?

I don't know what all this hate is on Rosen. I watched parts of the UCLA/USC game. That last touchdown pass he threw was a thing of beauty. It was too late but still - only a handful of QBs in D1 could have made that pass.
ducky23
We were selling out to stop the run tonight.

You can run a lot more stunt and blitz packages when you don't have to worry about a run game.

I mean, there were several huge third and longish down plays where furd ran the ball and picked up the first down. That kinda running threat makes it pretty tough on the defense.

With UCLA, they have zero running game. Expect to see a lot more creative coverages and zone blitzes against Rosen.
JSC 76
We've had some really good defensive showings when playing the best QBs: Ole Miss, USC, WSU. This gives me hope.
Golden One
pappysghost said:

We'll have to defend the pass a helluva lot better than we did tonight against Stanfurd. Our coverage was very porous, and our pass rush was nonexistent.
OdontoBear66
philly1121 said:

pappysghost said:

I don't know what all this hate is on Rosen. I watched parts of the UCLA/USC game. That last touchdown pass he threw was a thing of beauty. It was too late but still - only a handful of QBs in D1 could have made that pass.
Rosen is a very, very good QB when he is given all the time in the world to assess, check off and then throw. Rosen is 180 degrees different when he is chased, when his line breaks down, when things aren't going his way. So the question becomes, which Rosen shows up? How safe does he feel, for he can pick you apart then? How well are our rush and blitz packages working? That will determine the game.

I look at Darnold with grit, Rosen a bit of a wuss (with regard to style of play, not actual personna)
philly1121
OdontoBear66 said:

philly1121 said:

pappysghost said:

Rosen is a very, very good QB when he is given all the time in the world to assess, check off and then throw. Rosen is 180 degrees different when he is chased, when his line breaks down, when things aren't going his way. So the question becomes, which Rosen shows up? How safe does he feel, for he can pick you apart then? How well are our rush and blitz packages working? That will determine the game.

I look at Darnold with grit, Rosen a bit of a wuss (with regard to style of play, not actual personna)

Assess, check off, and then throw. How will we prevent this when we weren't able to do this with Costello. We had zero pass rush against Stanfurd. Unless there's some players hiding on the bench or UCLAs line really sucks - we could get picked apart.

Also - honest question - since this is gonna be the day after thanksgiving - is anyone or are any students going to be there?
BerlinerBaer
philly1121 said:

OdontoBear66 said:

philly1121 said:

pappysghost said:

Assess, check off, and then throw. How will we prevent this when we weren't able to do this with Costello. We had zero pass rush against Stanfurd. Unless there's some players hiding on the bench or UCLAs line really sucks - we could get picked apart.

Also - honest question - since this is gonna be the day after thanksgiving - is anyone or are any students going to be there?
This was addressed upthread. Defending a good running game makes it much harder to defend the pass. That shouldn't be an issue with UCLA.

It won't matter, though. Cal lately has been a team that could prepare and scheme the best game plan and lay a huge egg on the road, simply because it's on the road.
OdontoBear66
philly1121 said:

OdontoBear66 said:

philly1121 said:

pappysghost said:

UCLA does not have a RB named Love that one must key on. Nor do they have a offensive line that looks like a mule train. Totally different defensive approach. Do you remember the Washington State game?
FloriDreaming
OdontoBear66 said:

philly1121 said:

OdontoBear66 said:

philly1121 said:

pappysghost said:

UCLA does not have a RB named Love that one must key on. Nor do they have a offensive line that looks like a mule train. Totally different defensive approach. Do you remember the Washington State game?

WSU was at home. This is on the road against the best HFA team in the PAC 12, in a place Cal has historically done very poorly. Those things do matter. I don't see this being even a close game. UCLA by 3+ scores.
PtownBear1
Uthaithani said:

OdontoBear66 said:

philly1121 said:

OdontoBear66 said:

philly1121 said:

pappysghost said:

WSU was at home. This is on the road against the best HFA team in the PAC 12, in a place Cal has historically done very poorly. Those things do matter. I don't see this being even a close game. UCLA by 3+ scores.

Disagree that the rose bowl is the best home field advantage. Maybe if it filled up completely but it's usually like 2/3 full. Seattle, Autzen, Utah, downtown la, all tougher imo.
FloriDreaming
PtownBear1 said:

Uthaithani said:

OdontoBear66 said:

philly1121 said:

OdontoBear66 said:

philly1121 said:

pappysghost said:

Disagree that the rose bowl is the best home field advantage. Maybe if it filled up completely but it's usually like 2/3 full. Seattle, Autzen, Utah, downtown la, all tougher imo.

UCLA is perfect at home and 0-fer on the road. By definition that's the best HFA in the conference.
PtownBear1
Uthaithani said:

PtownBear1 said:

Uthaithani said:

OdontoBear66 said:

philly1121 said:

OdontoBear66 said:

philly1121 said:

pappysghost said:

UCLA is perfect at home and 0-fer on the road. By definition that's the best HFA in the conference.

Maybe if you looked over 20 years but you can't pick one season and make a claim they have the best hfa. There are so many variables. Who they play, injuries, etc.
72CalBear
Rumor has it that due to Mora's firing, the school will not be pursuing a minor bowl game (ie lost revenue) EVEN if they beat the Bears and have six wins. Help me with this. Also heard that because of this, Rosen won't be playing. Normally I would not even post this and realize it might truly be real fake news!!??
philly1121
PtownBear1 said:

Uthaithani said:

PtownBear1 said:

Uthaithani said:

OdontoBear66 said:

philly1121 said:

OdontoBear66 said:

philly1121 said:

pappysghost said:

Maybe if you looked over 20 years but you can't pick one season and make a claim they have the best hfa. There are so many variables. Who they play, injuries, etc.

Just like we can't predict if we will be better despite everyone's faith that this coach or team will be any different than the last regime. There are so many variables.
ducky23
72CalBear said:

Rumor has it that due to Mora's firing, the school will not be pursuing a minor bowl game (ie lost revenue) EVEN if they beat the Bears and have six wins. Help me with this. Also heard that because of this, Rosen won't be playing. Normally I would not even post this and realize it might truly be real fake news!!??

I'm not proud. I'll take all charity. This team deserves to go to a bowl game. They played their asses off against furd.
SoFlaBear
72CalBear said:

Coaches would want the bowl game for the extra practice and the concurrent recruiting trip.
tequila4kapp
Uthaithani said:

Unless you mean 3 FGs there is no way that's happening. No way.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.