The non-made Field Goal

4,436 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Creeping Incrementalism
ncbears
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'm confused about why Anderson's field goal didn't count when it looked like it cleared the cross-bar, hit the support and bounced back. I did find the rule: NCAA 2017 Rules

SECTION 4. Field Goal How Scored ARTICLE 1. a. A field goal shall be scored if a scrimmage kick, which may be a drop kick or place kick, passes over the crossbar between the uprights of the receiving team's goal before it touches a player of the kicking team or the ground. b. If a legal field goal attempt passes over the crossbar between the uprights and is dead beyond the end line or is blown back but does not return over the crossbar and is dead anywhere, it shall score a field goal. The crossbar and uprights are treated as a line, not a plane, in determining forward progress of the ball.

This suggests that breaking the plane was not enough, so the ruling was correct - if infuriating. But, I didn't hear the announcers - nor the refs - explain it. Now, I was in a bar with a bunch of other Cal people, so maybe they did explain, and I didn't hear it. No one in the bar could explain it.
sycasey
Pretty sure it never made it over the crossbar.
XXXBEAR
It was only from one camera angle it looked like that. But it did not bounce off the back bar.
KenBurnski
Because he missed. Good quality question.
bross
XXXBEAR said:

It was only from one camera angle it looked like that. But it did not bounce off the back bar.
Correct. It hit the crossbar and bounced out.
Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/benrosssports
KenBurnski
Lol. What?
Bears2thDoc
ncbears said:

I'm confused about why Anderson's field goal didn't count when it looked like it cleared the cross-bar, hit the support and bounced back. I did find the rule: NCAA 2017 Rules

SECTION 4. Field Goal How Scored ARTICLE 1. a. A field goal shall be scored if a scrimmage kick, which may be a drop kick or place kick, passes over the crossbar between the uprights of the receiving team's goal before it touches a player of the kicking team or the ground. b. If a legal field goal attempt passes over the crossbar between the uprights and is dead beyond the end line or is blown back but does not return over the crossbar and is dead anywhere, it shall score a field goal. The crossbar and uprights are treated as a line, not a plane, in determining forward progress of the ball.

This suggests that breaking the plane was not enough, so the ruling was correct - if infuriating. But, I didn't hear the announcers - nor the refs - explain it. Now, I was in a bar with a bunch of other Cal people, so maybe they did explain, and I didn't hear it. No one in the bar could explain it.
Based on that logic....
It also suggests one can bat it back through the crossbars as well....which seems unlikely but possible.
Cal8285
Once upon a time, I can't remember when, the Bears had a FG initially called no good because it hit the camera on the goal post right behind the crossbar and bounced back out. After realizing that the ball hit the camera, the officials changed the call, and the FG was good.

Unfortunately, last Saturday, the ball actually hit the crossbar and bounced back, not the goalpost or any camera. I had a high quality closeup view, and there is no question it went off the crossbar. There was no thought in my mind that Anderson might not kick it long enough, I just didn't know if it would go through the uprights. I was very surprised it wasn't long enough.
82gradDLSdad
Cal8285 said:

Once upon a time, I can't remember when, the Bears had a FG initially called no good because it hit the camera on the goal post right behind the crossbar and bounced back out. After realizing that the ball hit the camera, the officials changed the call, and the FG was good.

Unfortunately, last Saturday, the ball actually hit the crossbar and bounced back, not the goalpost or any camera. I had a high quality closeup view, and there is no question it went off the crossbar. There was no thought in my mind that Anderson might not kick it long enough, I just didn't know if it would go through the uprights. I was very surprised it wasn't long enough.

You could certainly tell by how fast the ball was spinning that he got under it a bit. Too bad. He's been solid the last part of the year. I'd bet he'll have a career in the NFL.
Cal88
In defense of the OP, the ball dd look like it bounced on the goalpost just behind the uprights plane, there was only one camera angle facing the goalpost on a later replay that showed it wasn't the case. I thought the same as ncbear until I saw that replay.
MrGPAC
I still say there is only one explanation for that ball being that close but not quite going through.

God couldn't get into Cal and he holds a grudge...
sketchy9
Wait, that rule says you can use a drop kick? Like a punt?

EDIT: Nevermind, apparently a drop kick is bounced off the ground before the foot makes contact
Creeping Incrementalism
Does anyone have a link to a good slow-motion view of this? It looked to me like the ball cleared the crossbars on every replay I saw of it on TV.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.