Non-Cal QB injuries: Would we now be bowl-eligible, IF ...

1,489 Views | 3 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by killa22
chalcidbear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
... 2 non-Cal players had not been injured during the 2017 season? Consider:

1. Brandon Dawkins: Was the starter for Arizona, a team with a mediocre 2-2 season until he was injured at the Colorado game. If he remained the starter, I'm convinced we would have smoked the Wildcats at Memorial Stadium.

2. Keller Chryst: Stanford had a solid season, as long as Bryce Love was sound. When he was injured, Stanford's offense had to rely more heavily on Chryst's passing, which was pedestrian, at best. But Chryst was replaced by Costello, who's passing skills were markedly better. If we faced the Cardinal with Chryst @ QB and Love still hobbled, I think Cal could have pulled off the upset in the Big Game.

So, without injuries to Dawkins and Chryst, Cal could be 7-4 right now, instead of 5-6.

Comments?
Goobear
chalcidbear said:

1. Brandon Dawkins: Was the starter for Arizona, a team with a mediocre 2-2 season until he was injured at the Colorado game. If he remained the starter, I'm convinced we would have smoked the Wildcats at Memorial Stadium.

2. Keller Chryst: Stanford had a solid season, as long as Bryce Love was sound. When he was injured, Stanford's offense had to rely more heavily on Chryst's passing, which was pedestrian, at best. But Chryst was replaced by Costello, who's passing skills were markedly better. If we faced the Cardinal with Chryst @ QB and Love still hobbled, I think Cal could have pulled off the upset in the Big Game.

So, without injuries to Dawkins and Chryst, Cal could be 7-4 right now, instead of 5-6.

Comments?
If my aunt had balls she would have been my uncle....Don't want to be disrespectful but we need to win - period.
pappysghost
I find it hard to believe the coaches thought those two starters were better than the backups at the time. Costello immediately demonstrated some throwing accumen, something Stanford sorely needed, and we all know what Tate did. Maybe AZ doesn't let their qb's run in practice?
71Bear
chalcidbear said:

Comments?
No. Both Shaw and Rodriguez would have made the switch regardless of injury by the time Cal played LSJU and AZ. Neither Dawkins or Chryst were tearing it up at the time of their respective injury. Both guys were under extreme scrutiny by their coaches.
killa22
It would also be interesting to consider what would've happened in the P12 had our guys not broken Justin Herbert's collar bone.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.