Story Poster
Photo by Pac-12.com
Cal Football Recruiting

Justin Wilcox Comments On 2018 Early Signees

December 20, 2017

Cal officially introduced its 18 early signees Wednesday afternoon. Here are head coach Justin Wilcox's comments on each of them:

Evan Tattersall‍ (ATH): "Evan's been a really productive player up there in Granite Bay. He's got really good size. He's about 225 pounds. He's played tailback, he's played linebacker, he can catch the ball as kind of an H-back/fullback hybrid. We would think he'd be a contributor on special teams.

To continue reading, you must be a Bear Insider Premium subscriber.
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial
Discussion from...

Justin Wilcox Comments On 2018 Early Signees

13,465 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Fyght4Cal
CAL6371
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Listening to Wilcox is very encouraging - his earnestness, his flexibility (play other sports etc), his emphasis on academics and competitiveness, his rapid and detailed responses without coachspeak etc He is refreshing and yet very solid. I can see him,taking Cal back to the success of the early Tedford years. A great press conference.
WoodlandBear
Agreed. I was very encouraged by everything he said and by the clips of the new Bears.
TheSouseFamily
CAL6371 said:

Listening to Wilcox is very encouraging - his earnestness, his flexibility (play other sports etc), his emphasis on academics and competitiveness, his rapid and detailed responses without coachspeak etc He is refreshing and yet very solid. I can see him,taking Cal back to the success of the early Tedford years. A great press conference.

Agreed. JW is always an impressive interview. Very authentic, knowledgeable and thoughtful of the big picture(s). Seems that he has a very clear profile of the mindset of the guys he wants to coach. He's building a good thing that we can be proud of, on and off the field.
PhillyBear
"No reason why local guys shouldn't be coming here" we are very fortunate to have Wilcox as our HC.
Cal89
PhillyBear said:

"No reason why local guys shouldn't be coming here" we are very fortunate to have Wilcox as our HC.
It has been about a decade since I felt this optimistic about the direction of Cal football; the last 4-5 years in particular.
Sig test...
LACalFan
You can feel his confidence and excitement in what they're building. It's genuine and super encouraging.

Wilcox might not be doing it a quickly as I had hoped, but it's obvious that he's doing it the right way. Lot's of interesting nuggets in that interview.
NVGolfingBear
And LACalFan, that might be the problem in our (yours and mine) perceptions. Doing it the right way takes time and can't/won't be a quick turnaround!
LACalFan
Yup, there's definitely some truth to that. Some additional recruiters on staff might have sped it up, though.
Fyght4Cal
Justin, who's a noticeably closed-mouth guy, LOVES to talk about the kids. I could listen to him enthusiastically describe every player on the roster.
Patience is a virtue, but I’m not into virtue signaling these days.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.