Cal recruiting monsterous if in the MWC-West

6,079 Views | 41 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Blueblood
chazzed
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Uthaithani said:

Cal89 said:

Over the last 4-5 years, we've been like the 10-11th best Pac-12 team (conference wins). This span of time, one's high school years, is how many of these young men know Cal football, unfortunately.

Having recruiting classes near the middle of the Pac-12 is pretty decent, and with above average coaching, will keep us going in the right direction, IMO.

Cal had fewer conference wins in 2017 (2) than 2014, 15 and 16 (3, 4 and 3). Things seem to be going the wrong direction.
You are not looking at the situation in context. Our offensive personnel took a major hit last year while our defensive personnel was fairly similar to what Dykes had. The offense took a step back, unsurprisingly, while the defense was noticeably better.
Blueblood
Uthaithani said:

Cal89 said:

Over the last 4-5 years, we've been like the 10-11th best Pac-12 team (conference wins). This span of time, one's high school years, is how many of these young men know Cal football, unfortunately.

Having recruiting classes near the middle of the Pac-12 is pretty decent, and with above average coaching, will keep us going in the right direction, IMO.

Cal had fewer conference wins in 2017 (2) than 2014, 15 and 16 (3, 4 and 3). Things seem to be going the wrong direction.
Good observation.

The current coaching staff has improved the team's performance enough to handle the OOC games but
not the conference elites. This is what got me excited about Tedford. In 2002 and 2004 Cal did alright against its OOC opponents.

In essence Tedford improved Cal by winning the games the Bears were supposed to win. This looks
like what Wilcox's next step will be. I thought Cal should have beaten 'zona and the bruins last season.
If Wilcox isn't just a flash-in-the-pan and is really a budding great coach in the making, he will direct Cal
to wins over possibly Colorado, Wazzu, Oregon State, and more. But, again, it seems that's as far as
Cal gets, i.e., win the games that it should.

Cal needs to get to the next level.

I have nothing against Coach Wilcox, but all that I'm implying from what I've seen of Cal's athletic modus operandi is that the current average recruiting and the lure of financial opportunities will eventually undermine further progress to that level.

When the above happens, it's groundhog day.

"Hiya, Cal should replace Oski
with me as their mascot!"

Groundhogs, groundhogs,
munch, munch, munch
Screw you stanfurd,
Here's your lunch!

Larno
The biggest difference between now and Tedford's situation is the quality of the coaching and talent of the other Pac-12 schools. He had to contend with Pete Carroll at USC and unfortunately for Cal our best years were even better for USC. The rest of the league had a few decent teams and coaches but nowhere the number now. Stanford's coaching and teams stunk, ditto for Washington, and Oregon was okay but nothing like now. I hope the missed opportunities in 2004 and 2006 are not going to be the high water for Cal but getting to that level is going to be much harder. I have no unrealistic expectations.
Bear19
Uthaithani said:

Cal89 said:

All true. But don't forget last year's team, with a few exceptions, was totally Dykes' personnel. He completely left the QB situation in shambles, with not one returning QB getting any significant playing time in 2016. Even two conference wins, along with the ACC & SEC wins, was a great coaching job imo.
Bear19
Larno said:

I have no unrealistic expectations.
There you go, Larno. 2018 can only either meet expectations or be a happy surprise.
Cal89
SD had four seasons to post a winning conference record, and did not do so. I feel the JW can, and I think that this upcoming season might present such a surprise...

And yes, I think JW has us going in the right direction. He was a first year HC in 2017, with a new staff, and a brand new QB too. No, I'm not going to compare that team to last year's team with an established staff, and a grad transfer QB who is now in the NFL. Also, Cal's 2017 roster was one of the least "experienced" in FBS, per Phil Steele, 11th in the Pac-12.

We were tied with Southern Cal in the 4th. We played a damn good game for once against them, despite the above challenges. We out-yarded them and the 4 INTs are very much why we didn't win. And, Stanford, when did we last play them so well? UCLA, also a FG loss...

Last year's roster was comprised of the worst four-year stretch in Cal recruiting (average stars) dating back to Holmoe early JT. Coupled with the aforementioned lack of experienced players, the new HC and staff did damn well, IMO. Was it JT's first season? Nope. But, was it SDs? Hell no.
Sig test...
Bear19
Cal89 said:

SD had four seasons to post a winning conference record, and did not do so. I feel the JW can, and I think that this upcoming season might present such a surprise...

And yes, I think JW has us going in the right direction. He was a first year HC in 2017, with a new staff, and a brand new QB too. No, I'm not going to compare that team to last year's team with an established staff, and a grad transfer QB who is now in the NFL. Also, Cal's 2017 roster was one of the least "experienced" in FBS, per Phil Steele, 11th in the Pac-12.

We were tied with Southern Cal in the 4th. We played a damn good game for once against them, despite the above challenges. We out-yarded them and the 4 INTs are very much why we didn't win. And, Stanford, when did we last play them so well? UCLA, also a FG loss...

Last year's roster was comprised of the worst four-year stretch in Cal recruiting (average stars) dating back to Holmoe early JT. Coupled with the aforementioned lack of experienced players, the new HC and staff did damn well, IMO. Was it JT's first season? Nope. But, was it SDs? Hell no.

Agree 100%.
Blueblood

Mountain West, mountain west,
you're the best,
no more dejection,
we're goin in the right direction!
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.