Cal 2018 Football Position Analysis - The Running Backs

BearInsider
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Big C
Nice article! One of the keys to the season will be Laird's staying healthy and 1-2 of his backups emerging.

My dream scenario is still Malik McMorris scoring the TD that wins us Big Game, absolutely BOWLING OVER multiple Furd defenders in the process!
killa22
I recall Lasco going for 1100 and something like 12 tds in 2014.

Ah I see what you did there with the 5.8 yard metric, good point there. Still, Lasco's 5.2 isn't that far off.
kelly09
If Patrick can repeat last year's performance, Cal just might go a long way.
calumnus
Been a fan of PL since early in the season--looking forward to seeing who else emerges as our 2&3 (and our future). The running game should again be our strength, though with Robertson back the passing game could improve dramatically if we see improvement at the QB position also.
Bobodeluxe
calumnus said:

Been a fan of PL since early in the season--looking forward to seeing who else emerges as our 2&3 (and our future). The running game should again be our strength, though with Robertson back the passing game could improve dramatically if we see improvement at the QB position also.
Six months a fan. Sounds like a movie.
Bear19
With 1st & 2nd year RBs in the backup role this season, 2018 sets up for them to get key experience for 2019 ff while we have our two studs getting the majority of snaps this year.
Bobodeluxe
Bear19 said:

With 1st & 2nd year RBs in the backup role this season, 2018 sets up for them to get key experience for 2019 ff while we have our two studs getting the majority of snaps this year.
Who is #2? Of the study variety, that is?
NVBear78
The big issue is who is our number two running back? We have no experienced back up and nobody who is a clear number two running back. Our two incoming Frosh appear to have good potential but don't arrive until fall and it is tough for freshman running backs to pick up pass protection and nuances like that.

Hopefully Clark or Biaggio show well this spring.
Ncsf
NVBear78 said:

The big issue is who is our number two running back? We have no experienced back up and nobody who is a clear number two running back. Our two incoming Frosh appear to have good potential but don't arrive until fall and it is tough for freshman running backs to pick up pass protection and nuances like that.

Watch Adams
fat_slice
Ncsf said:

NVBear78 said:

Watch Adams

I am sure he will eventually be very good but I would say there is little to no chance he has a meaningful impact as a freshman. Marshawn Lynch was a back up his freshman year and had 628 yards. That was Marshawn Lynch. I know this is a different day and age but still...
calumnus
fat_slice said:

Ncsf said:

NVBear78 said:

Watch Adams

I am sure he will eventually be very good but I would say there is little to. Marshawn Lynch was a back up his freshman year and had 628 yards. That was Marshawn Lynch. I know this is a different day and age but still...

Averaging 8.8 ypc. Playing behind the nation's leading rusher. I'll take that in a heartbeat.
fat_slice
calumnus said:

fat_slice said:

Ncsf said:

NVBear78 said:

Watch Adams

I am sure he will eventually be very good but I would say there is little to. Marshawn Lynch was a back up his freshman year and had 628 yards. That was Marshawn Lynch. I know this is a different day and age but still...

Averaging 8.8 ypc. Playing behind the nation's leading rusher. I'll take that in a heartbeat.

That's my point - marshawn plus best o-line gives in country netted 628 yards of contribution on 71 carries. No way this guy comes anywhere near that. so what type of an impact Are we looking for from him?
Cal Strong!
Cal need Strong run game . . . strong like Cal academics.
Page 1 of 1
Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.