OT: UC Plans to Build Housing at People's Park

21,064 Views | 132 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by socaliganbear
okaydo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
What about eminent domain?

This guy below was among the students who lived in apartment buildings where People's Park now stands when he the university acquired the land via eminent domain in 1967?

http://www.jimchanin.com/

Why can't they take over another block nearby? Or is it just too costly/too much trouble?
CAL6371
okaydo - this proves, beyond any reasonable doubt, that you are an imbecile. Keep dreaming - save your Confederate money, your Party card etc. What a loser!
SRBear
ColoradoBear
The 7B history guru Leon Litwack basically called the People's Park protesters hangers on to the Berkeley scene with nothing better to do. The whole thing was stupid and not to be confused with the Free Speech Movement.

Not sure how I feel about the homeless shelter. It's not UC's business to house the homeless. That problem is in the scope of the COB and/or other governments. Hope UC pulls a bait and switch and move the shelter elsewhere. Or transfers the land/building to the COB afterwards at least to get it off UC ledgers.
okaydo
CAL6371 said:

okaydo - this proves, beyond any reasonable doubt, that you are an imbecile. Keep dreaming - save your Confederate money, your Party card etc. What a loser!

You are cordially invited to the unveiling of our Dumpster Muffin statue on 6/4 at People's Park.
okaydo
I've had mixed feelings, but I feel the inevitable is going to happen.

I hate that the Eshleman Hall I spent so much time in is now gone. But it had to go because it was a harrible building.

I hate that the ugly Tolman Hall that I spent so much time in will soon be gone. But it has to go.

I hate that I visit the campus as an old man, I can't go in the buildings that I spent so much time in.

While I didn't spend a lot of time at People's Park, I would consider myself somewhat knowledgeable about its history.

As a person that values history, I think it should stay. The park has connections to Reagan and The Daily Cal (for those who don't know, the Daily Cal became independent of the university after it published an editorial saying, "Take Back the Park," and the editors were fired.)

But as a realist, I realize the park will never be salvaged for positive use. So....
Bears2thDoc
Can't wait!!!
Hoping it will be ready by 2024 for L'il 2th's freshman year..

Cheers!
Go Bears!!
socaliganbear
ColoradoBear said:

The 7B history guru Leon Litwack basically called the People's Park protesters hangers on to the Berkeley scene with nothing better to do. The whole thing was stupid and not to be confused with the Free Speech Movement.

Not sure how I feel about the homeless shelter. It's not UC's business to house the homeless. That problem is in the scope of the COB and/or other governments. Hope UC pulls a bait and switch and move the shelter elsewhere. Or transfers the land/building to the COB afterwards at least to get it off UC ledgers.

The university wont fund, build, or manage the building. They're essentially giving up a portion of land to some nonprofit.

HearstMining
okaydo said:

I've had mixed feelings, but I feel the inevitable is going to happen.

I hate that the Eshleman Hall I spent so much time in is now gone. But it had to go because it was a harrible building.

I hate that the ugly Tolman Hall that I spent so much time in will soon be gone. But it has to go.

I hate that I visit the campus as an old man, I can't go in the buildings that I spent so much time in.

While I didn't spend a lot of time at People's Park, I would consider myself somewhat knowledgeable about its history.

As a person that values history, I think it should stay. The park has connections to Reagan and The Daily Cal (for those who don't know, the Daily Cal became independent of the university after it published an editorial saying, "Take Back the Park," and the editors were fired.)

But as a realist, I realize the park will never be salvaged for positive use. So....
People can use the term "values history" as short-hand for valuing history that they approve of. People in Mississippi use the argument of valuing history to justify retaining statues of the Confederacy. I was born in Berkeley, grew up there, and graduated from Cal in 1976. The legacy of People's Park frankly glorifies people who want society to support them as they do nothing. In the halcyon days of the 70's, it wasn't cool to say that PP was an unsafe dump, but virtually all students I knew avoided it - particularly after dark. If PP had been put to good use years ago, maybe Berkeley wouldn't have devolved into a Neverland for refugees of the Woodstock Generation. And no, I'm not a Trump supporter. I, too, value history, but I don't see a point to glorifying something that never worked.
socaliganbear
I think a great way for those that want to continue on with the legacy of PP because they value history, especially those that supported the status quo, is for them to fund the new housing for the formerly homeless.

Your values and kitschy history hang up resulted in generational crime, drugs, and blight. And it's expensive.
socaliganbear
Official word:

http://news.berkeley.edu/2018/05/03/new-uc-berkeley-plans-for-peoples-park-call-for-student-homeless-housing/

1k student beds...

Also "At the same time, supportive housing will be located in a separate, independently operated building and will have 75 to 125 apartments that will provide safe and supervised living for homeless Berkeley residents"

"The exact nature of the population to be served whether they be military veterans, families with young children or foster youth transitioning into adulthood will largely depend on the funding source selected"
philbert
socaliganbear said:

Official word:

http://news.berkeley.edu/2018/05/03/new-uc-berkeley-plans-for-peoples-park-call-for-student-homeless-housing/

1k student beds...

Also "At the same time, supportive housing will be located in a separate, independently operated building and will have 75 to 125 apartments that will provide safe and supervised living for homeless Berkeley residents"
It's about time! Long overdue, IMHO.
GivemTheAxe
Fyght4Cal said:

As inaccurate as your post may be, that notice is still better than, "Welcome to Berkeley. Best wishes on finding housing. With thoughts & prayers, C. Christ"

Or "Welcome to Cal. Here is your tent. Go pick out some open space inside People's Park. Voila ..... Free student housing"
socaliganbear
What is Supportive Housing?

http://news.berkeley.edu/2018/05/03/frequently-asked-questions-about-supportive-housing-at-peoples-park/

Supportive housing is a combination of permanent housing (not temporary shelter) and on-site services. It provides a reliable place to live, coupled with case management that connects residents to needed services such as job and life-skills training and alcohol and drug abuse programs.
bear2034
Anyone able to access the link that was provided for the plans and proposals? It doesn't seem to work for me.

http://news.berkeley.edu/?p=68121&preview=true&preview_id=68121&preview_nonce=e5b71bf42c&_thumbnail_id=-1
Strykur
Recent students have no attachment to the Park and mostly despise it, the only people interested in thwarting this plan will be outside the campus and be enormously outnumbered by those in support of it, especially the students.
okaydo
Dear New UC Berkeley student:

Congratulations on accepting your admissions. We have assigned you to live in the People's Park Residence Hall, in the Dumpster Muffin wing of Michael Delacour Hall.

But seriously: Who/what will they name the buildings after? Unit 3 has dorms named after Beverly Cleary, Jason Priestley and Edward Norton.
okaydo
Strykur said:

Recent students have no attachment to the Park and mostly despise it, the only people interested in thwarting this plan will be outside the campus and be enormously outnumbered by those in support of it, especially the students.

I believe the most "recent students" who were attached to the park are currently of retirement age.

(I'm the exception because, unlike my peers, as I've come to learn a lot about the history of the place, and got to know many of the park's central figures. And the people of the Telegraph Area Association, who were plagued by the park. I find it fascinating. I even went on a ridealong with the Berkeley PD as we visited the park late at night.)
bear2034

http://www.latimes.com/local/education/la-me-uc-berkeley-peoples-park-20180503-htmlstory.html

Quote:

The proposal is believed to be the first by an American university to use its land to build long-term supportive housing.
Quote:

Under the proposal, a portion of the park would remain open green space. The university also plans to memorialize the park's history, possibly with a sculpture or plaques.
Sebastabear
okaydo said:

Strykur said:

I believe the most "recent students" who were attached to the park are currently of retirement age.

(I'm the exception because, unlike my peers, as I've come to learn a lot about the history of the place, and got to know many of the park's central figures. And the people of the Telegraph Area Association, who were plagued by the park. I find it fascinating. I even went on a ridealong with the Berkeley PD as we visited the park late at night.)
I'll make you a deal. You and I go to the park and if the number of people who know who Mario Savio is (much less Dan Siegel) outnumber the number of people who try to sell us heroin I'll buy you a Top Dog. Hell I'll buy you all of the Top Dogs. Pretty sure my wallet will stay firmly in my pocket.
socaliganbear
Sebastabear said:

okaydo said:

Strykur said:

I'll make you a deal. You and I go to the park and if the number of people who know who Mario Savio is (much less Dan Siegel) outnumber the number of people who try to sell us heroin I'll buy you a Top Dog. Hell I'll buy you all of the Top Dogs. Pretty sure my wallet will stay firmly in my pocket.
What you will find is some 27 year old named Tom who drove a van across country from Missouri with two friends. One of them broke off on his own and he now lives on the corner of Haight and Clayton, literally on the corner. He's dating a girl named Rachel, she bussed in from Ohio. They have no ****ing clue who Savio was or what happened here those years, he's just here for the temperate weather.
FloriDreaming
About time. Get rid of that POS vacant lot. Can't wait to see the Berkeley idiots' heads explode, that'll be a good time.
okaydo

Breaking news:

PalyBear
Making news in LA. Article claims this would be the first time an American university uses its land for long-term supportive housing. Article includes video.

http://www.latimes.com/local/education/la-me-uc-berkeley-peoples-park-20180503-htmlstory.html

Bear19
CAL6371 said:

CAL6371 - okaydo is far more knowledgeable about Cal than you appear to be. Seriously, your comment is just wrong.
calumnus
socaliganbear said:

Official word:

1k student beds...

"The exact nature of the population to be served whether they be military veterans, families with young children or foster youth transitioning into adulthood will largely depend on the funding source selected"

Exactly. If the population served is single mothers with children (for example) the risks to Cal students will be minimal, especially relative to the status quo. The idea of providing low cost transitional housing for kids leaving the foster care system might make the most sense. It is a great place for an 18 year old, there are lots of service industry jobs and Berkeley City College is nearby.
flounder
The folks hanging out in PP should be called what they are: criminal vagrants. Most of those guys are high on meth and heroin, and would not hesitate to rape your daughter given the opportunity and stab your son over looking at them the wrong way. Clear them, their tents, and their aggressive dogs out, they can go back to their midwestern hometowns. The 60/70s are long gone and these people will never change, no matter how many services they receive.
HighlandDutch
Does anyone know what the plans (if any) are for the old Berkeley Art Museum site on Bancroft Avenue? That would be a great spot for additional student housing.
socaliganbear
HighlandDutch said:

Does anyone know what the plans (if any) are for the old Berkeley Art Museum site on Bancroft Avenue? That would be a great spot for additional student housing.
That's probably much further down the pipeline. The Goldman School housing complex is prob the first one up.
petalumabear
flounder said:

The folks hanging out in PP should be called what they are: criminal vagrants. Most of those guys are high on meth and heroin, and would not hesitate to rape your daughter given the opportunity and stab your son over looking at them the wrong way. Clear them, their tents, and their aggressive dogs out, they can go back to their midwestern hometowns. The 60/70s are long gone and these people will never change, no matter how many services they receive.
This ^^^

The number of 60's 70's guys left there is single digits at best. These are exactly what you say... the one thing that needs to change in this world is mental health care. Many of the homeless are struggling with mental health issues and our inability to treat them does nobody any good. truly sad.
trueblue22
I'll never forget my first visit to Berkeley, walking down the south side of the park and seeing a homeless person throwing scraps of garbage to a ferocious pack of 20+ rats.

Saw more than 1 homeless person take a shot of bear mace to the grill after screaming in the face of a group of female students. Oh the memories.

This is going to push the homeless population further South of Telegraph which is probably a good thing for the dense student population around units 2 and 3.

Can we build the basketball practice facility into a portion of this? I'm sure there would be some cost savings involved vs a standalone project.

bear2034
socaliganbear said:

HighlandDutch said:

That's probably much further down the pipeline. The Goldman School housing complex is prob the first one up.
That was quick. The old Art Museum is now planned to be a BioEnginuity Hub building.

https://capitalstrategies.berkeley.edu/woo-hon-fai-hall-bioenginuity-hub

socaliganbear
oskirules said:

socaliganbear said:

HighlandDutch said:

That was quick. The old Art Museum is now planned to be a BioEnginuity Hub building.

https://capitalstrategies.berkeley.edu/woo-hon-fai-hall-bioenginuity-hub

Wow totally missed that! A new biotech incubator, essentially.
bear2034
Conceptual schematic for People's Park released. I would propose to get rid of the community space, shift the buildings closer to the Telegraph side, and try to keep as many trees on the east side as possible.

http://www.berkeleyside.com/2018/05/11/its-not-just-peoples-park-that-will-see-housing-uc-berkeley-chancellor-vows-to-build-7500-beds-in-10-years

https://www.berkeleyside.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/peoples-park-preliminary-050918.pdf

hanky1
oskirules said:

Conceptual schematic for People's Park released. I would propose to get rid of the community space, shift the buildings closer to the Telegraph side, and try to keep as many trees on the east side as possible.

http://www.berkeleyside.com/2018/05/11/its-not-just-peoples-park-that-will-see-housing-uc-berkeley-chancellor-vows-to-build-7500-beds-in-10-years

https://www.berkeleyside.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/peoples-park-preliminary-050918.pdf

Where will all the homeless tents be?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.