USA Rugby Collegiate 7s continues today

2,343 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by StillABear1
TomBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The Bears, who went undefeated yesterday with victories over Indiana, Fordham and Notre Dame College, resume their quest for another 7s championship this morning at 10am Pacific against SEC Arkansas Razorbacks.

Games are on the RugbyChannel and also on FloRugby TV. I am watching on FloRugby and the stream is pretty stable.

Because I'm not sure of the schedule for the rest of the day, I may not be able to see all the Cal games live, but will do the best I can to provide some info at the conclusion of the games I am able to watch.

As I mentioned elsewhere, the National High School Club championship competition is also on FloRugby TV and the Danville Oaks are a really impressive team to watch. Some future Bears could be on that team, and congrats to the coaches who are obviously doing a great job with the team, both on and off the pitch!
TomBear
Cal won their first match of the day, defeating University of Arkansa 38-7.

Cal scrum dominated but won't be able to do that against any other team from this point on. We're not the biggest team in the competition by a long shot, and Lindenwood, Grand Canyon, and several others have some very big guys. If Bears can get ball outside early, and get points early, they should be OK. But they're not going to dominate anyone with the interior game as they did against the Razorbacks as things proceed.

Coach Clark is mixing his lineups brilliantly as always. Lots of players have gotten experience so far. This is, by far, the best collegiate 7s championship competition I've seen to this point.
TomBear
Kutztown just took down Arizona 29-7 so the semi will be Kutztown Golden Bears vs. Cal Golden Bears! Kutztown is always good in 7s, but they look even better this year. It will be interesting to see what lineup Coach Clark uses, keeping in mind the kind of competition the Bears are likely to face if they defeat Kutztown.
Chabbear
Lindenwood has not allowed a single point in the tournament so if the Bears do make it through to the finals, it will be a battle.

Go Bears
TomBear
Bears took care of business against an excellent Kutztown team. Final Cal 31 Kutztown 15. Game was a nail biter despite the score. Fabulous play by Cal wings. Last possession was a thing of beauty as time was running out, Cal maintained a very long possession with flawless control and distribution.

So, this means Cal will play Lindenwood for the Championship. Lindenwood is as good as their 15s program. I will not be able to watch the game, so I hope someone else can provide details.

Man, these 7s games are tough on my nerves!!!
chalcidbear
Thanks for all the updates.

Although Lindenwood is a great team, and we had our hands full against them in the 15s, I like our chances against them in 7's, since (IMO), the 7's game relies more heavily on speed and agility, while the 15's depend more heavily on bulk and strength. It was my impression that Cal is faster and more agile when we faced Lindenwood back in Moraga for the 15s.
PalyBear
Cal loses to Lindenwood 26-12 in Championship Final

May 19th
Lindenwood 7s

26 - 12

California 7s
Playoffs

chalcidbear
Major bummer.
hotlanta
Losing to Life big in the 15's and to Lindenwood in the 7's yesterday, was this simply a once in a generation rebuilding year or is everyone else catching up to us.
socaliganbear
hotlanta said:

Losing to Life big in the 15's and to Lindenwood in the 7's yesterday, was this simply a once in a generation rebuilding year or is everyone else catching up to us.

Little bit of everything. Other programs have improved significantly, but also even when they hadn't, we didn't win the championship every year in 15s.
TomBear
hotlanta, social's first line says it all. It is a little bit of everything.

Here are some factors: The number of players from foreign countries playing on the rosters of some of the other teams has increased. With them comes knowledge of the game they have played all their lives. I also see more coaches from overseas coaching programs here in the U.S., which also improves the U.S. game. More and more schools are following Cal's lead in making rugby a varsity sport. And I believe that scholarships for rugby are being given at some institutions which helps to attract players to their schools.

Another factor is the growth of rugby, particularly at the youth levels. There is a decline in participation in football and an increase in the participation of youth rugby. Having played both sports, I totally understand why, and that can be discussed in a separate thread. But to the point: Consider this....Danville Oaks just earned the national high school club championship. To get to that game alone, they had to defeat South Bay (out of SoCal), and Granite Bay (Sacramento area). Also during the season they defeated Lamorinda (also a nationally recognized team) among others. Both Lamo and Danville have taken international tours to gain rugby knowledge and it has paid off. Just at the high school level alone, you have Granite Bay and Jesuit (Sacramento area), Lamo, Danville, and S.F. Golden Gate all in the Bay Area. And, you have Cal and St. Marys, two of the annually best collegiate teams in the nation right in each other's back yard. So what does that mean? It means that the pool of good high school players is growing, and the pool of collegiate options is growing as well. Very good players see opportunities to make significant contributions to programs that are building and growing, and with other schools "upping their game", it's understandable that the collegiate rugby landscape has gotten broader and better. More good players, more good options, more good competition.

For Cal, as young as they were this year, to make it to BOTH 15s and 7s championship games is testimony to just how good the coaching staffs are, and to how the players have bought in to what they are teaching (both on and off field, I might add). The Cal team played courageously all year, often outweighed and occasionally against older more experienced players. They had some tough, gritty matches they had to win in order just to get to the championships, and they still accomplished getting there despite their youth.

In some ways I think we have been spoiled by the Bears success. Aren't we lucky to be in such a position? We end up number two in both styles of the game, and we're worried. Losing both championship matches stings. But the journey was typical Cal Rugby. This coaching staff is as good as there is anywhere. They and their players will accept the challenge (as they always do). They have a motto: "Entitled to nothing, grateful for everything". Another motto they have is "Known by your deeds". They actually teach and live by these words, and the players buy in. Have you seen their academic performances? Not just impressive.....extremely impressive! And it's like this year after year after year.

I like to share a related story that I heard probably about 4 or 5 years ago, but has stayed with me since. The Bear players and staff were eating at a local restaurant (probably during a national championship competition). At the same restaurant the Notre Dame team was eating. This guy said that the servers were so impressed with how polite and how well behaved the Cal team was that the Notre Dame coach came over to Coach Clark and shared that information with him. "Known by your deeds"!

They may have ended up number two in both styles of the game this year. But to me they're still champions in so many ways.
Beardog26
Very well said, Tom, and so very true on many levels. I played and captained under Coach Clark 30 years ago, was an assistant coach for him for a couple years in the early 2000s, and have attended several games every year since graduating as an alum/fan.

The ethos and accomplishments of the Cal Rugby program are simply special. I cannot adequately convey, without a very long consideration of my life experiences, the value of what being in this tremendous family has provided me though the years.

The men that I played with and with whom I shared so many awe inspiring experiences, remain my closest friends and stand as examples for my children, friends and acquaintenances of the right way to approach life and the many relationshios one encounters during that journey.

Cal Rugby will be at or near the top again next year, and beyond. It is a wonderful model of what high performance sport should be about and something for which all Cal alumni should be proud, whether or not they play or follow the sport.

Go Bears!!!
yosemitebear
Thank you very much Tombear and Beardog. It is so refreshing and inspiring to read such reports of positivity, sportsmanship, hard work, and success. Knowing it is all about the Bears is even better!
Go Bears!
StillABear1
Also a thank you to both of you for outstanding posts and what this sport's experience has meant to you and so many Cal Alumni. A 4 year journey leading to 50 + years of excellence.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.