Story Poster
Photo by Twitter / Orin Patu
Cal Football Recruiting

Patu Follows Connection to Cal, Commits to Bears

June 24, 2018

Like today's earlier Cal commit McKade Mettauer, Rainier Beach (Seattle, Washington) High School outside linebacker Orin Patu made a return trip to Cal and became a Bear.

The 6-4/190 OLB had 45 tackles, 15 tackles for loss, five sacks, one interception and 20 QB hurries in his junior campaign for Rainier Beach.

Watching Patu in action at Cal camp yesterday, his play and frame are reminiscent of Cal soph OLB Cameron Goode -fast, rangy and athletic.

To continue reading, you must be a Bear Insider Premium subscriber.
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial
Discussion from...

Patu Follows Connection to Cal, Commits to Bears

9,595 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by bonsallbear
Seogju
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Welcome to Berkeley. Go Bears!
Sebastabear
We are going to have quite a defense. My how things have changed. Welcome!
bonsallbear
I am not, I repeat not going to say anything about being 195 lbs. BUT at 6'4", 215 - 220 lbs would be awesome. 230 even better!!

Welcome to Cal and we look forward to you playing at 230
GivemTheAxe
bonsallbear said:

I am not, I repeat not going to say anything about being 195 lbs. BUT at 6'4", 215 - 220 lbs would be awesome. 230 even better!!

Remember it is a heck of a lot easier for a young player to add weight than to add height.
calumnus
GivemTheAxe said:

bonsallbear said:

Remember it is a heck of a lot easier for a young player to add weight than to add height.

Seems like safety might be his more natural position? At least until that good weight is added (which, without "The Glove", does not happen overnight).

MoragaBear
Staff
No, he's not going to play safety. And he's not likely to play for 2 more years so that's plenty of time to add the weight he needs, just like Goode, who was even skinnier in high school.
bonsallbear
That's kinda what I was thinking. Hit the books and hit the weight room.
Bear19
bonsallbear said:

It is a complete certainty that our coaches know exactly what weight Orin Patu will need to get to, and along with his natural growth will have him there forthwith.
Bear 19
bonsallbear
At 6'4" he could easily play at 230. What do you think?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.