Story Poster
Photo by Twitter / Malik Bradford
Cal Football

Bears Grab Receiver With Commitment of Bradford

June 26, 2018

6-2/195 Millikan (Long Beach, CA) High School receiver Malik Bradford became the first WR commit of the Bears' 2019 recruiting class with his commitment to Cal today.

"I've always wanted to play in California so my parents and friends could watch me play," said Bradford of his commitment to Cal. "To be able to do that and attend the best public university in the country is a great opportunity."

Bradford initially announced his commitment to Cal via twitter, saying: 

"After talking with my family and coaches, I am proud to announce my commitment to the University of California Berkeley. I would like to thank the entire Cal coaching staff for believing in me!! #GoBears #CalFamily"

The 3 star receiver's relationship with receivers coach Nick Edwards also made Cal feel like a good fit for the talented Bradford.

"I like Coach Edwards a lot," said Bradford. "Me and him low-key have a lot of things in common and I feel like it will be a really good fit with him. He played receiver and is pretty much exactly my size so he knows the type of receiver I am and how to get the most from my abilities. He's also young and can relate to us better than someone that's older might be able to so I like that, too.

"I also like the offense a lot and think it fits me really well."

Bradford had the chance to visit Cal during spring ball and knew he'd found a place he could see himself thrive in the future.

"I liked it. I liked the school a lot," said Bradford. "I loved the size of the campus and the football facilities are great, just perfect.

"Malik is a big and long target for us," said Millikan head coach Justin Utopo. "On the field, we have a young quarterback and him being an upperclassmen, with us starting a sophomore QB, he helped him come along in the meeting room and on the field to read defenses and grow as a player. He's a mentor on the field for our underclassmen and with his physical, big play ability, he's a leader on the field in that aspect, as well.

"We're excited for him and his family. He's come a long way. He's young, too. He's a year younger than his class so he's growing into his big frame.

"If you see him in person, he's got big, broad shoulders. We did weigh-ins recently and he's a solid 218 but he's still moving the same. In fact, faster, in my opinion. He's a legitimate 6'2."

"Off the field, he gets along well with everyone and he's a good student, too.

"I know he'd like to play early at Cal so I think he's going to look at graduating early and coming in for spring semester this year at Cal."

As a senior, Bradford hauled in 37 catches for 667 yards and 11 touchdowns, averaging an impressive 19 yards per catch for the season.

As to his future aspirations at Cal, the 3 star receiver's aiming high.

"I'm really looking forward to getting up there next year," said Bradford. "I've set a goal for myself and I'd like to push to start as a freshman."

"I'm excited and happy for him. Cal's getting a great student athlete with Malik," concluded Utopo.

Discussion from...

Bears Grab Receiver With Commitment of Bradford

68,981 Views | 43 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by OdontoBear66
Seogju
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Welcome to Berkeley. Go Bears!
calftball
YES!! Love the film on this kid..
Welcome Malik, cant wait to see you on the field!!
bear2034
Nice, Go Bears!
sheki
Sweeeet
Rushinbear
calftball said:

YES!! Love the film on this kid..
Welcome Malik, cant wait to see you on the field!!
He's the one I was talking about. Really good to see him come aboard. 19 yds/catch in a good league - that says a lot. I like this guy.
ddc_Cal
Looks really good.

I assume the coaching staff is also keeping close track of the 'young' quarterback? He didn't look like he was under much pressure, but those throws were right on the money.
KenBurnski
Awesome pickup. Love his film! Welcome, Malik.
flounder
oh hell yes! this is a physical receiver with speed/change of direction. welcome, young man!
calumnus
Nice!
Go Bears!
bonsallbear
Looks like he's playing against 5th graders. BUT most importantly, is he an elite 300 specimen? We desperately need to have this to move forward. Just ask Chapman.
YamhillBear
Great tape. I especially liked how elusive he is --- I don't think he took a hit for the most part until the very last play on his tape. Also loved seeing his downfield blocking when he didn't have the ball.
Chapman_is_Gone
bonsallbear said:

Looks like he's playing against 5th graders. BUT most importantly, is he an elite 300 specimen? We desperately need to have this to move forward. Just ask Chapman.

You know, earnings don't matter. P/E ratios don't matter. Neither do dividend yields. Those metrics provide no informational content whatsoever - they're not correlated with outperformance at all in Bonsall Bear's world. Warren Buffett just gets lucky. We can just throw together a random bunch of stocks, and faith is all we need. Just give it some time! Riches!! Retirement!!!

I bet Cal will be in a Rose Bowl before "Bonsall Bear" can retire.

By the way, real classy bringing this up in a "Welcome to Cal" thread. Clown.
71Bear
Unlike Williams, it appears this guy was only born once. Do not expect any miracles from him during his Cal career.....
bonsallbear
Clown?? Coming from you? ha. My post wasn't a slam on him but only for you. I sincerely hope he attains the "300" Status but as I mention in other threads, having a solid foundation is important and our chances on landing elite recruits improve with winning records. You would like to have the elite recruits now. Have some patience which you seem to be in short supply
Bear19
bonsallbear said:

Have some patience which you seem to be in short supply
Yes, Peace and Love to one and all.
Bear 19
Bear19
Welcome to Cal, Malik! You've made a great decision, and we're fortunate to get your commitment. Go Bears!
Bear 19
FloriDreaming
bonsallbear said:

Clown?? Coming from you? ha. My post wasn't a slam on him but only for you. I sincerely hope he attains the "300" Status but as I mention in other threads, having a solid foundation is important and our chances on landing elite recruits improve with winning records. You would like to have the elite recruits now. Have some patience which you seem to be in short supply
Waiting 60 years for the football program to improve isn't "patience." It's insanity.

Nobody on this board will be alive the next time Cal football goes to the Rose Bowl. But yah, just be patient. We're trying to catch up with powerhouses like Arizona with this 3-star strategy.

Do you know how long it takes the average 3* to make a positive contribution on the football field? About 4 years. But yah, foundation. Whatever.
bonsallbear
Perhaps you and Chapman should get together and have a beer.
BearlyCareAnymore
Uthaithani said:

bonsallbear said:

Waiting 60 years for the football program to improve isn't "patience." It's insanity.

Nobody on this board will be alive the next time Cal football goes to the Rose Bowl. But yah, just be patient. We're trying to catch up with powerhouses like Arizona with this 3-star strategy.

Do you know how long it takes the average 3* to make a positive contribution on the football field? About 4 years. But yah, foundation. Whatever.

There is every reason to have run out of patience with Cal. Wilcox has not been here 60 years. You cannot saddle every coach that comes in with 60 years of baggage. He's been here 1 year.
DCW67MSW
Great logic Oaktown about not imposing on Wilcox 60 years of baggage. Several impatience posters don't get it
BearGreg
Staff

What I find interesting about this data is that three of this ten built sustainable winning programs inside Power 5 conferences with 2nd and 3rd tier recruiting results - Oregon, Wisconsin and Virginia Tech.

While recruiting stars do matter, coaching matters more. And recruiting better talent is an almost assured side effect of winning.

It's truly exceptional the number of top flight recruits who have visited Cal this Spring and Summer. That's your primary indicator that we have staff that can flat out recruit. The second positive indicator is that we're landing a lot of our top choices e.g. Croteau, Coleman, WIlliams, Manley and Patu even if they aren't (yet) highly rated.

Where we're (primarily) not yet having success is landing our top choices who are also the top choices of programs that have been consistent winners in the recent past. Occasionally, a program with a similar on the field resume to Cal's will hire a head coach who can immediately sell promise and vision and who knows what else in order close on the kids who are in high demand. Almost all of those turn out to be poor choices in the long run, e.g. Mark Stoops at Kentucky.

That's not Wilcox. He's a methodical builder and someone that sells reality far better than hope. The reality he wants to sell that will enable him to land his share (or more than his share) of the highly sought after kids is winning. When he can recruit coming off a .500+ P12 record and a bowl game appearance, our recruiting close rate against the big boys will go up markedly. The recruits like Wilcox, they enjoy Cal and the culture that's being created here. The honest, straightforward and transparent recruiting pitch is resonating. The only thing holding us back is that we're 21-51 in the Pac 12 over the past 8 years with but one bowl game in the last six. That's why our coffee goes cold when we're looking to close.

IMO, we're one winning season away from landing a good number 4 stars in a class (so that can begin with 2018 as we close the 4 stars who will be waiting to make their decision after December 1st) and we're back to back winning seasons away from landing a class where close to half of them are 4 stars. I doubt Wilcox ever looks to scale the recruiting mountain higher than that because he wants academics, culture fit and team first kids rather than recruiting stars. Even if we're only filling a quarter of our classes with 4 star kids, we're going to have a chance to go to Rose Bowls if this staff is as good at player development and game day coaching as they appear to be.

Buy your tickets now, while you can still get them.
Yogi58
BearGreg said:

What I find interesting about this data is that three of this ten built sustainable winning programs inside Power 5 conferences with 2nd and 3rd tier recruiting results - Oregon, Wisconsin and Virginia Tech.

While recruiting stars do matter, coaching matters more. And recruiting better talent is an almost assured side effect of winning.

It's truly exceptional the number of top flight recruits who have visited Cal this Spring and Summer. That's your primary indicator that we have staff that can flat out recruit. The second positive indicator is that we're landing a lot of our top choices e.g. Croteau, Coleman, WIlliams, Manley and Patu even if they aren't (yet) highly rated.

Where we're (primarily) not yet having success is landing our top choices who are also the top choices of programs that have been consistent winners in the recent past. Occasionally, a program with a similar on the field resume to Cal's will hire a head coach who can immediately sell promise and vision and who knows what else in order close on the kids who are in high demand. Almost all of those turn out to be poor choices in the long run, e.g. Mark Stoops at Kentucky.

That's not Wilcox. He's a methodical builder and someone that sells reality far better than hope. The reality he wants to sell that will enable him to land his share (or more than his share) of the highly sought after kids is winning. When he can recruit coming off a .500+ P12 record and a bowl game appearance, our recruiting close rate against the big boys will go up markedly. The recruits like Wilcox, they enjoy Cal and the culture that's being created here. The honest, straightforward and transparent recruiting pitch is resonating. The only thing holding us back is that we're 21-51 in the Pac 12 over the past 8 years with but one bowl game in the last six. That's why our coffee goes cold when we're looking to close.

IMO, we're one winning season away from landing a good number 4 stars in a class (so that can begin with 2018 as we close the 4 stars who will be waiting to make their decision after December 1st) and we're back to back winning seasons away from landing a class where close to half of them are 4 stars. I doubt Wilcox ever looks to scale the recruiting mountain higher than that because he wants academics, culture fit and team first kids rather than recruiting stars. Even if we're only filling a quarter of our classes with 4 star kids, we're going to have a chance to go to Rose Bowls if this staff is as good at player development and game day coaching as they appear to be.

I like everything about this post except the last part. Those tickets will still be available by the time the team has reached that level, if they do.
Chapman_is_Gone
Bear19 said:

bonsallbear said:

Have some patience which you seem to be in short supply
Yes, Peace and Love to one and all.

I LOL at the notion that I don't have patience. I am a die hard Cal fan, a die hard Padres fan, I was a die hard Chargers fan, and I own a Sulcata tortoise. I am the most patient fan on this entire message board.
GivemTheAxe
BearGreg said:

"Missed it by just that much": Maxwell Smart
71Bear
BearGreg said:

If you are suggesting that the top of the recruiting mountain is unattainable because most recruits at that level are not academically oriented, would not fit the Cal culture or are not team first you are wrong. That is the reason Cal has wallowed in the mire for so long. Excuses are not acceptable and I know that Coach Wilcox doesn't subscribe to the old - we are Cal; we don't recruit quality athletes because we have our nose too high in the air. Don't believe me? Take a look at the school on the Peninsula, They are kicking ass with their five stars and are at the top of the conference APR rankings.
Bear19
71Bear said:

Don't believe me? Take a look at the school on the Peninsula, They are kicking ass with their five stars and are at the top of the conference APR rankings.
Don't forget it took Harbaugh & Shaw 3-4 years to get to this level. It wasn't overnight.
Bear 19
MoragaBear
Staff
71Bear said:

If you are suggesting that the top of the recruiting mountain is unattainable because most recruits at that level are not academically oriented, would not fit the Cal culture or are not team first you are wrong. That is the reason Cal has wallowed in the mire for so long. Excuses are not acceptable and I know that Coach Wilcox doesn't subscribe to the old - we are Cal; we don't recruit quality athletes because we have our nose too high in the air. Don't believe me? Take a look at the school on the Peninsula, They are kicking ass with their five stars and are at the top of the conference APR rankings.
What 5 stars are they kicking ass with? They have 3 on their roster and only two of them have played so far.
calumnus
Bear19 said:

71Bear said:

Don't believe me? Take a look at the school on the Peninsula, They are kicking ass with their five stars and are at the top of the conference APR rankings.
Don't forget it took Harbaugh & Shaw 3-4 years to get to this level. It wasn't overnight.

It wasn't just time and patience. Harbaugh had a plan and executed it. When everyone else in the league was going spread/speed, he went bigbringing in 5 TEs in his first class, and based the team on Toby Gerhart even playing extra OLs to give him additional size on the line. His next class included Andrew Luck, the #3 QB recruit in the country.
tequila4kapp
Oregon, Wisconsin and Furd all committed to a specific unconventional style of play then recruited players who fit the style. I think the lesson is that you can win big with modest recruits using that model. But winning big becomes much harder if you have modest recruits and play a conventional style.
Sebastabear
To go back on topic, welcome Malik! Big fan of your name. Personally I'm an advocate for having an "all Malik" team. Might limit our recruiting a bit but at least so far you guys have all been great.
OdontoBear66
BearGreg said:

I find agreement with most all of what you post here. As I read it, I have one concern. If this "empire" is being built slowly, what kind of street cred does Wilcox have when success comes, in either retaining assistants and/or getting as good or better replacements. I can guess at the answer, but I certainly think that as things get better a number of assistants will be improving their own situation (often elsewhere). Wilcox has had great exposure as his growth has gone on, and I think we will do just fine, but we have lost a great DL coach, while still having some great position coaches. Is there a perception that other coaches would "love to work with Wilcox"? I think this will play heavily if our growth curve is to continue on an upward spiral.
socaliganbear
BearGreg said:

What I noticed is that Wisconsin, Oregon, and Va Tech all outspend Cal on football in far less expensive areas. If they invested as poorly as we do, they probably wouldn't be on this list....like us.
BearlyCareAnymore
socaliganbear said:

BearGreg said:

What I noticed is that Wisconsin, Oregon, and Vate h all outspend Cal on football in far less expensive areas. If they invested as poorly as we do, they probably wouldn't be on this list....like us.

I think the issue is this. If Cal hires a coach that ultimately brings success, after one year it is going to look like what we look like now. We aren't going to get a guy and Cal suddenly turns into every 5 star's favorite destination.

Of course for every scenario that looks like this that brings us ultimate success, there are like a hundred scenarios that won't. I'm certainly not saying we are on our way.

I get the "it's about time we do something. It's been 60 years." concept. There is a lot Cal has to answer for. But as I said elsewhere we can't saddle a coach with blame for 60 years he had nothing to do with. Recruiting is not the problem. Yes, it will probably need to improve before we get where we want to be, but it is pretty good right now for where we ARE.

Frankly, it seems like 60 years of frustration are causing some to respond prematurely.
socaliganbear
Would love to see if Wilcox got the extra money he was asking for. Last I heard was he had not secured it.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.