Favorite moment at Memorial

7,938 Views | 55 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by wifeisafurd
JSC 76
How long do you want to ignore this user?
wifeisafurd said:

UrsusTexicanus said:

So many ... 2003 -Tyler Fredrickson's winning FG in triple OT over USC, after what would have been the winning kick blocked twice previously.

1975 - Walking out of Memorial in ecstasy after drubbing the Trojans, passing a ditzy SC coed crying her eyes out while Toejam band was playing she said, "Can't you support your team when they lose?" My smile got bigger.

1993 - Mike Caldwell catching what would be winning two point conversion, while falling backwards and barely staying in bounds, to highlight comeback from 30-0 deficit against Oregon.

Edit an add: Also recall DeCoud's amazing block that sprung DJ in the punt return against UCLA...
As I recall, DeCoud knocked both himself and the UCLA player (one of their twin linebackers, IIRC) out. The Bruin tried to get up and walk off, and didn't make it to the sidelines. Fortunately, everyone recovered.
HighlandDutch
JSC 76 said:

wifeisafurd said:

UrsusTexicanus said:

So many ... 2003 -Tyler Fredrickson's winning FG in triple OT over USC, after what would have been the winning kick blocked twice previously.

1975 - Walking out of Memorial in ecstasy after drubbing the Trojans, passing a ditzy SC coed crying her eyes out while Toejam band was playing she said, "Can't you support your team when they lose?" My smile got bigger.

1993 - Mike Caldwell catching what would be winning two point conversion, while falling backwards and barely staying in bounds, to highlight comeback from 30-0 deficit against Oregon.

Edit an add: Also recall DeCoud's amazing block that sprung DJ in the punt return against UCLA...
As I recall, DeCoud knocked both himself and the UCLA player (one of their twin linebackers, IIRC) out. The Bruin tried to get up and walk off, and didn't make it to the sidelines. Fortunately, everyone recovered.
Wasn't the UCLA player one of the Bosworth twins (Brian's nephews)?
Barttoriv74
HighlandDutch said:

JSC 76 said:

wifeisafurd said:

UrsusTexicanus said:

Wasn't the UCLA player one of the Bosworth twins (Brian's nephews)?

Yep
JimSox
HearstMining said:

1. At age 9 in 1965, I was at the Penn St game where, with ONE SECOND left on the clock, Cal threw a pass to Jerry Bradley for a winning TD.

This, of course, was the famous Gremmie game. I'm sure many remember Gremmies, also known as Gremlins, the frozen orange juice in a cup that were sold throughout the stands at Cal games. Their not so secret purpose was to serve as a receptacle for vodka snuck into the game in flasks to enable the imbiber to suck up a refreshing screwdriver through a straw. But the night after that 1965 Penn State game hundreds of students flooded Cowell Hospital desperately ill with some kind of food poisoning. Though there was no proof, the Gremmies got the blame and disappeared from Memorial Stadium forever after.

Bring back the Gremmies and Go Bears!
northendbear
Well, I wasn't at the Big Game in '82, so ...

Some great moments ...

Intercepting Dennis Dixon on Oregon's 1st play from scrimmage in 2006 - stadium was electric to start that game, and then that happened.

Tennessee in 2007 - Follett's crushing hit, creating the fumble and TD, and of course DJax' punt return.

But my most memorable was the standing ovation given to the team leaving the field after the LOSS to UW in 1991. 60 minutes of outstanding, competitive effort, and that team changed the perception of Cal football from what it had been for most of the wasteland of the 80s.

Maybe the 1991 isn't my most "favorite", but it is my most memorable.
Another Bear
During the '07 season, Cal played OSU at home. I believe Cal was ranked #3 and the top 2 lost and the news was announced on the PA systems in the 3rd quarter..and then Cal promptly collapsed upon itself. I was in section U and the crowd knew it was bad. Then Riley tried to make a play but he ran out of time.

In the stunned silence a woman yelled, "Fcck, typical Cal". Everyone around who heard it chuckled, because we knew it was true. As we walked out of Memorial a buddy said, "well we were number one for a quarter".
JimSox
Another Bear said:

During the '07 season, Cal played OSU at home. I believe Cal was ranked #3 and the top 2 lost and the news was announced on the PA systems in the 3rd quarter..and then Cal promptly collapsed upon itself. I was in section U and the crowd knew it was bad. Then Riley tried to make a play but he ran out of time.

In the stunned silence a woman yelled, "Fcck, typical Cal". Everyone around who heard it chuckled, because we knew it was true. As we walked out of Memorial a buddy said, "well we were number one for a quarter".

As soon as the announcement came that the top two had lost someone sitting near me stood up and shouted "We're number one." And I knew instantly that we would be cursed for years to come.
But this thread is supposed to be about our BEST memories not our worst so never mind.
wraptor347
Surprised nobody mentioned (unless I missed it) 2006 v Washington. Winning in OT followed by Marshawn's golf cart joyride.
Sebastabear
Well the '91 game against SC with Fiat Lux in all his glory (the song, the shaking the car keys at the SC fans, basically the whole thing) was fantastic. In the hazy confines of my memory, that entire season also captures the ideal football of my youth (well maybe middle age). Team was excellent and exciting to watch, rules in terms of where you could sit were largely non-existent (before football became big business there was plenty of room to stretch out), no one really checked what you brought into the stadium, etc, etc.

Since no one has hit the recent seasons, I'm going to call out the seven play goal line stand against Utah in 2016. Cal holding again and again, Whittingham flipping out, getting to rush the field, and the sheer joy of our beleaguered defense to get a stop like that was just magical.
Another Bear
JimSox said:

As soon as the announcement came that the top two had lost someone sitting near me stood up and shouted "We're number one." And I knew instantly that we would be cursed for years to come.
But this thread is supposed to be about our BEST memories not our worst so never mind.
Technically that's my favorite because I remember it...and it was totally Cal.

Okay other than that, there's many great moments listed. Favorite defensive moment in recent memory was Zack Follett flat out leveling ASU's Rudy Carpenter...because Carpenter made the mistake of trash talking Follett. After the sack, Follett was in Carpenter's ear saying something.

Otherwise, DJax's crazy return off UT.
79 Bear
The Play, of course, and the moments leading up to and after it. But aside from that, one of my favorite moments is briefly shown here at 2:40:40.

It was my freshman year and I still recall a remarkable and very memorable display of sportsmanship by Ricky Bell of USC. We were beating (and would end up beating) USC, which was the undefeated #4 team in the country coming in. Chuck Muncie was having a great game. His numbers were better than the highly touted Bell when suddenly, after a nice run, he fumbled when a defender put his helmet on the ball. Muncie sat dejectedly on the turf but as he was getting up Bell came over and, it appeared to me, offered some solace. My memory was that he helped Chuck up but the video shows he came over as Muncie was getting up. From what I have heard, Ricky Bell was a class act, and this tribute as a competitor to the RB on the other side of the field showed that to be the case. Bell was the 1st player chosen in the 1977 NFL draft. He tragically died young, at age 29, of heart failure caused by Dermatomyositis.
ddc_Cal
JimSox said:

HearstMining said:

1. At age 9 in 1965, I was at the Penn St game where, with ONE SECOND left on the clock, Cal threw a pass to Jerry Bradley for a winning TD.

This, of course, was the famous Gremmie game. I'm sure many remember Gremmies, also known as Gremlins, the frozen orange juice in a cup that were sold throughout the stands at Cal games. Their not so secret purpose was to serve as a receptacle for vodka snuck into the game in flasks to enable the imbiber to suck up a refreshing screwdriver through a straw. But the night after that 1965 Penn State game hundreds of students flooded Cowell Hospital desperately ill with some kind of food poisoning. Though there was no proof, the Gremmies got the blame and disappeared from Memorial Stadium forever after.

Bring back the Gremmies and Go Bears!
Yeah, I was one of those in the flood, but not until a couple days later. I had a gremlin, but at Cowell they said that not everyone who had gremlins got sick and not everyone who got sick had gremlins.

Mystery was never solved, but it never happened again.
ddc_Cal
Yeah, that was the best game ever played that we lost.

And, of course, the Oakland Fire was the next day. We saw a huge cloud of smoke from the stands that went away -- at least until Sunday.
socalBear23
The 3ot game and many moments as a student when Russell was on the field. But my number 1 would be Desean's punt return vs Oregon. Simply because I had a perfect down the line angle on it. He takes the punt and initially goes left and gets hemmed in. As soon as he took one step right, the stadium relatively quiet, I screamed "He's GONE". And the rest is history. . .
hanky1
BearGreg said:

Not just a game, a moment in a game. Tell us your story.

2002 Big Game. We finally beat Furd after 7 or 8(?) years. Everyone rushes the fieldand tears down the goal post.

I remember standing there on the field so freakin happy we finally beat Furd. As the goal posts were coming down, I remember looking up into the stands and seeing a bunch of Furd fans encouraging us and cheering us on. It was as if they were happy that we finally beat them and the rivalry was back on. By far my favorite moment at Memorial.

That entire 2002 was magical. Best year as a Cal fan ever.
Mikeman
1982 of course, the Cal players chanting this is Bear Territory on the stadium balcony, me with my 3 week old daughter who would go to Cal.
wifeisafurd
okaydo said:

I was at the 1940 Big Game at Memorial when I met this scrawny Harvard grad named Jack who was taking some classes at Stanford. He was with a beautiful co-ed, as I recall.

Despite his allegiance, I convinced him to join the stadium-wide, "Go Berkeley!" chant.

Anyways, 20 years later the guy sitting next to me was elected president of the United States!

I thought you were a lot younger.

Weird trivia fact: my mother in law (who also went to Furd and was Eunice Shriver's roommate) dated Jack. Thought he was a rich man's son who never would amount to much. I often tell my better half she inherited her mother's inability to evaluate men as marriage material.
GMP
wifeisafurd said:

okaydo said:

I was at the 1940 Big Game at Memorial when I met this scrawny Harvard grad named Jack who was taking some classes at Stanford. He was with a beautiful co-ed, as I recall.

Despite his allegiance, I convinced him to join the stadium-wide, "Go Berkeley!" chant.

Anyways, 20 years later the guy sitting next to me was elected president of the United States!

I thought you were a lot younger.

Weird trivia fact: my mother in law (who also went to Furd and was Eunice Shriver's roommate) dated Jack. Thought he was a rich man's son who never would amount to much. I often tell my better half she inherited her mother's inability to evaluate men as marriage material.

Hah. Not as good, but my grandmother reportedly turned down Carl Archer, of Carl's Jr. fame. She inherited this from her father, who reportedly turned down an offer to buy a large portion of Balboa Island, believing the island would crumble into the sea at the next earthquake. Had he taken the deal, I could pay off our stadium debt myself.
HoopDreams
Not all time favorite moment, but recent favorite moment.... watching Cal v Texas game with a mix of Cal and Texas fans, including a few right next to me that we got friendly with.

They were very confident through 3Q, but as game went on they got increasingly less so.

Then late 4Q, one of them said in an exasperated manner, 'can't believe we are going to lose to freaking Cal two years in a row'
kjkbear
The Play.
OdontoBear66
TomBear said:

The year Cal Band got their "updated" uniforms and the student union was opened for the first time. Both were extremely exciting days for me, and for all I know they may be one and the same day. I don't remember much of the game other than it was Alumni Band Day. I THINK the game was against Missouri.

For a most memorable game moment, I have to go to '65 and that last second catch against Penn State......that was awesome. I missed The Play because at that time I was covering Husky Football for a Seattle Radio station.

Way too many other memories that run together. I loved running on the field after the game. The grass was so awesome and it gave off a wonderful aroma after a game. We all would play football on the field and pretend we were Bears.
Tom Bear....Can you clarify something for me...My recollection, and I go back a long, long way, was that feelings between Cal and UDub were really good up until the turn of the century and the Lupoi incident.

I recall the bands getting together in harmony and there was a lot of back and forth and mutual respect. I also recall that Schloredt and UW finally ended the Big 10 dominance in the early 60s which was great for the Pac 10. But now the feelings are not so good. Then again, I may be wrong.

We go back crew for almost a century with a great competition too.
wifeisafurd
OdontoBear66 said:

TomBear said:

The year Cal Band got their "updated" uniforms and the student union was opened for the first time. Both were extremely exciting days for me, and for all I know they may be one and the same day. I don't remember much of the game other than it was Alumni Band Day. I THINK the game was against Missouri.

For a most memorable game moment, I have to go to '65 and that last second catch against Penn State......that was awesome. I missed The Play because at that time I was covering Husky Football for a Seattle Radio station.

Way too many other memories that run together. I loved running on the field after the game. The grass was so awesome and it gave off a wonderful aroma after a game. We all would play football on the field and pretend we were Bears.
Tom Bear....Can you clarify something for me...My recollection, and I go back a long, long way, was that feelings between Cal and UDub were really good up until the turn of the century and the Lupoi incident.

I recall the bands getting together in harmony and there was a lot of back and forth and mutual respect. I also recall that Schloredt and UW finally ended the Big 10 dominance in the early 60s which was great for the Pac 10. But now the feelings are not so good. Then again, I may be wrong.

We go back crew for almost a century with a great competition too.
As a getting old type, your recollection is the same as mine. When I went to Cal in the late '70s, the Udub/Cal crew matches still were big deals. Lupoi greatly damaged the sports relationship.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.