Some tidbits from Football Camp

9,098 Views | 46 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by MoragaBear
cyrusthebear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Man, you folks calling the title click bait need to chill the f out. I saw the title, clicked on it, and I got some tidbits from Football camp. I am satisfied.

Just because they're tidbits you already know don't make them bad tidbits. I got value from it and you all need to chill.
Chapman_is_Gone
yeah man! chill!
NYCGOBEARS
Chapman_is_Gone said:

yeah man! chill!

If you're chill, I am. But, I thought there was no chill in Chapman?
BearsWiin
NYCGOBEARS said:

Chapman_is_Gone said:

yeah man! chill!

Chill_is_Gone
GMP
BearsWiin said:

NYCGOBEARS said:

Chapman_is_Gone said:

yeah man! chill!

Chill_is_Gone
My favorite BB King song.
socaliganbear
Big C said:

NYCGOBEARS said:

Y'all acting like you got Rick Rolled. Yes, it was clickbait. So what? The owners of this site can't promote their product? I read all kinds of crap on the free board (which wouldn't exist without being subsidized by subscribers, btw), and this thread is rather innocuous by comparison. Yet, some are up in arms. I don't get it. Everyone here is pretty smart. The accusations of some kind of subterfuge or bait and switch are overreactions. That $1 is hard to earn here, evidently.
I am in basic agreement with your point, but I feel compelled to add that the free board is also subsidized by ads. (I will admit to having no idea what the $$$ break down is, however.)

Okay, so folks don't pay out of their pocket to read this board, but the constant onslaught of ads for Mensa and for male genitalia size-reduction surgery do wear on a guy, after awhile.

Clever.
BearGoggles
OaktownBear said:

BearGreg said:

• Cal has found a new playmaking WR on the outside
  • Some veteran players who did not play last year are not only back, they are poised to be difference makers in 2018
  • Backup running back might be the most tightly contested position on the team. One name that has not been mentioned much has been a surprise standout thus far into camp
  • Pace of practice is materially quicker than it was last year. 2nd year into the systems is manifesting itself with the crispness and cadence of camp
  • Only a couple of players sitting out at this stage
  • The QB competition with a few twists and turns in it
  • One of our positional coaches adding value and leading drills with another position group
  • A dynamic newcomer on defense may see the field early

Greg, I'm giving you feedback here. I expect nothing for free. I'm on your side when people complain there isn't as much information on the free board as there used to be. You guys develop the information, you can charge as you see fit.

But don't promise in a thread title that you are going to give free information and then bait and switch. It is beneath you and it insults our intelligence. You could easily have titled that "things we are reporting on the premium board". I would have looked as I'm interested in the offer you made for Fall camp.

However, I believe in rewarding good behavior and not rewarding bad behavior. You lost my dollar on this one, and more importantly the chance that I would stay on permanently. Oh well. No hard feelings. Maybe next time.
The complaints in this thread are a massive overreaction.

You're going to withhold your $1 - ONE WHOLE DOLLAR CASH MONEY - to teach Greg a lesson for what is a very minor misstep (if one at all)? And we're to believe that but for this thread, you might have become a premium member after not having been one for MANY years?

Seems to me you and others are looking for a rationalization for not financially supporting the website. That's a personal choice. But don't cloak a financial decision as some sort of moralization attacking the board owners for one thread on a FREE board.

And in point of fact, this thread makes it clear that you and others do expect something for free. You're expecting, among other things, that Greg not post threads that you regard as clickbait (or whatever) and that the website maintain a FREE forum in which you and other can complain about how the FREE forum is run. This is particularly absurd given that the moderators do share info on the free boards from time to time and when, in comparison to other free websites, there is very little clickbait/advertising/etc. on this site.

BearsWiin
BearGoggles said:

OaktownBear said:

BearGreg said:

• Some veteran players who did not play last year are not only back, they are poised to be difference makers in 2018
  • Backup running back might be the most tightly contested position on the team. One name that has not been mentioned much has been a surprise standout thus far into camp
  • Pace of practice is materially quicker than it was last year. 2nd year into the systems is manifesting itself with the crispness and cadence of camp
  • One of our positional coaches adding value and leading drills with another position group

Greg, I'm giving you feedback here. I expect nothing for free. I'm on your side when people complain there isn't as much information on the free board as there used to be. You guys develop the information, you can charge as you see fit.

But don't promise in a thread title that you are going to give free information and then bait and switch. It is beneath you and it insults our intelligence. You could easily have titled that "things we are reporting on the premium board". I would have looked as I'm interested in the offer you made for Fall camp.

However, I believe in rewarding good behavior and not rewarding bad behavior. You lost my dollar on this one, and more importantly the chance that I would stay on permanently. Oh well. No hard feelings. Maybe next time.

You're going to withhold your $1 - ONE WHOLE DOLLAR CASH MONEY - to teach Greg a lesson for what is a very minor misstep (if one at all)? And we're to believe that but for this thread, you might have become a premium member after not having been one for MANY years?

Seems to me you and others are looking for a rationalization for not financially supporting the website. That's a personal choice. But don't cloak a financial decision as some sort of moralization attacking the board owners for one thread on a FREE board.

And in point of fact, this thread makes it clear that you and others do expect something for free. You're expecting, among other things, that Greg not post threads that you regard as clickbait (or whatever) and that the website maintain a FREE forum in which you and other can complain about how the FREE forum is run. This is particularly absurd given that the moderators do share info on the free boards from time to time and when, in comparison to other free websites, there is very little clickbait/advertising/etc. on this site.

I would gladly contribute to a Cal sports website that provided an online community a place to discuss Cal-related topics (and I have in the past). I will not contribute to a Cal sports website that expects you to pay for their content, whether it be the year-round teenboy stalking of recruiting or the August fall camp reporting. As a matter of fact, I just sent in my $129.81 voluntary contribution to HardcoreHusky to help keep that online community going for another year, and I'm not even a Husky fan. They "get it." This place doesn't, and hasn't since 2005 or so.
BearlyCareAnymore
BearGoggles said:

OaktownBear said:

BearGreg said:

Let me start off by saying don't call me a liar, jackass. I gave Greg honest feedback. He took it honestly. He doesn't need your protection. Why don't you let him handle his own business? Unfortunately, when posters like you act like complete entitled jackasses and act like everyone on the free board are freeloaders who should shut the hell up, many, consciously or subconsciously attribute that attitude to the proprietors of this business and choose not to purchase. No one likes a sales pitch of "buy the damned service you effing freeloader". I hope everyone who may buy the service in the future looks to Greg's response and not your moronic one.

I have defended Greg and the previous admins many times when people have complained about lack of free information. I have defended them for years for enforcing the rules not to post premium info on the free board and not to link to competitive sites. I have also been a premium member before. I am a member of a profession who sells advice based on years of education and experience. I know what it is like to be asked for free services and be given attitude when I won't give it. I do not ask it of others. If you are going to question my motives base it on something, jackass.

If you think I owe it to somebody to buy a service from a business that offers a free product, that is your stupidity. Greg offers the free board of his own free will. While I believe it is important to him to keep up a fan forum for Cal fans to discuss Cal sports, it is also the best advertisement for his premium service. He knows what he is doing. I do not feel one bit guilty using the free board as I do not feel guilty using a free credit card that actually pays me cash to use it. This is not a charity. It is a business. If someone wants to subscribe to support the business even if they don't use the product, that is up to them. I'm not rationalizing not paying a dollar. I'd gladly pay more than that dollar to buy Greg a beer if I met him. Believe it or not, I don't need to rationalize over a dollar.

Whether you want to believe it or not, I was considering subscribing. It isn't about the dollar. It is about the annoyance of having to unsubscribe if I decide not continue the service as it is usually a pain in the butt to do so with most services. I assume if I subscribe I will probably stay. (as does Greg or he wouldn't be offering the $1 deal). Incredulous as you may be, yes, I withhold my business, even if it is a whole dollar, if I don't like the way I've been pulled in. It is a principle with me. There was a good chance I would have subscribed. The post ended that on this go around. I also gave Greg a very easy alternative that would have attracted anyone interested in premium without pulling in those who weren't. Unless the aim is to continue to fool people into clicking posts with no info but a salespitch for premium, that would resolve the issue. And by the way, it is considered poor etiquette to post things that require a premium subscription to view without telling people. That is true if it is a link to the Athletic or ESPN Insider or BearInsider. All I asked was to be upfront that to get the information offered you needed a premium account

Greg can advertise as much as he wants on this site. I'm not asking him not to. He can make posts in exactly this format 100 times a day as far as I'm concerned. I would just learn not to open his threads. I am not asking him to provide a freeboard devoid of advertisement or clickbait. He can make his free board a wasteland of posts trying to sell premium if he wants. If you notice, I never complained about the board or threatened to leave. I don't complain about free services. I take them or leave them. However, I will give feedback to a business owner if their actions cost a sale. Actually, not true. I'll give feedback to a business owner I like and respect if their actions cost a sale. Any business owner should want that. At least publicly, Greg took it for what it was. As I said, there are no hard feelings. As he said, he is still learning. That was the spirit in which I intended my comments. Your butting in with personal accusations about others' motivations was completely unnecessary. Greg didn't need protecting.

Lastly, let me be clear. Greg and his reporters put a lot of effort into developing and writing information for their site. They deserve to be paid for any of that information they publish. If someone wants it, they need to pay for the service. I've never expected any info for free and I never will.
KenBurnski
Chapman_is_Gone
BearGoggles said:

OaktownBear said:

BearGreg said:

Wow, you make so many assumptions and reach so many erroneous conclusions that I'm not going to try to refute them. Oaktownbear and Bearswiin did a nice job already cluing you in. Greg is aware of how many of us feel, he doesn't need your involvement.

For me, the product is simply overpriced at $99/year, and I will never pay that high an amount simply out of principle. If the price were $39 per year I'd sign up. Or, had the owners gone the Wikipedia route and asked for a donation once per year, I likely would have donated more than $39 per year. But, they chose to go the overpriced annual fee route and they also chose to divided the community into two separate groups, which is an action I cannot support. Also, much of the new content is content that many people didn't need or ask for...many of us were satisfied for years with a simple message board on which Cal fans could communicate.

BearGreg
Staff
And that's a lock. Let's move on to something more interesting. How about a thread on the bear claws on the helmets. Did anybody like those?
MoragaBear
Staff
As a 15 year writer for the site, I thought I'd chime in here, too, after the lock.

People here on BI are here for different reasons and there's no one right reason to be here. Some are here for the community. Some are here for the entertainment. Some are here for love of Cal or to support the site or to learn new things or some combination of the above.

I and as far as I know, everyone who writes for the site, don't consider those who don't subscribe to be freeloaders. I just think there are people who feel like they get enough Cal talk and information about the team from free sites that they don't feel it's a good value to subscribe and there's nothing wrong with that.

Those that subscribe tend to do so largely for three reasons: To get a deeper level of knowledge of what's going on with the team and recruiting, to have a more focused and slightly less crazy forum to post in and to support the site, which costs a decent amount to maintain, whether it's expense related to server or tech costs, writer salaries, travel expenses and other administrative expenses.

Believe me, Greg didn't buy this site to get rich. He knew that wouldn't happen. But he's a businessman and a competitive person, so he didn't buy the site to see it stand pat and not grow and get bigger and better, either. He bought it because he loves Cal and he loves this forum and he had a vision to grow it into something that could hopefully appeal to a broad cross section of Cal fans and I think that's well on it's way to happening.

For those that feel like information on recruiting or inside info on the teams or AD or other issues we discuss there quickly or slowly makes it's way to the free board, I'd say that the dominant majority of that type of info in fact never makes it here. Some here might find that info interesting and enlightening and some might not care at all and that's okay.

As far as the purpose of the free board, yes, it occasionally results in converted subscribers. but whether or not that ever happened, we would always maintain this free board because Greg, I and GreyBear before Greg have always valued every board in this community and would never think if depriving you from this community to be a part of. There's too much history and tradition there, going back some 20 years.

Bottom line, if you want to be more plugged into the team and hear more from knowledgeable and connected posters beyond the staff here or just want to support the site, give it a try. We have a lot of lurkers who have never posted in all their years on the board that have subscribed for one reason or another, too. But if you're strapped for cash or you just don't feel it's worth it, enjoy the free boards and root for our Bears.

Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.