Story Poster
Photo by Mike Wondolowski
Cal Football

New Features Coming to Memorial Stadium This Fall

August 22, 2018

BERKELEY – When Golden Bear fans come out to California Memorial Stadium this fall, they can expect a number of new features intended to enhance their gameday experience, from pregame concerts to giveaways to new food options.

"We are always looking to improve our gameday experience, and we hope our fans enjoy the new features coming to California Memorial Stadium this season," Director of Athletics Jim Knowlton said. "Many of the ideas for improvements have come through feedback from surveys and emails – we are listening. We believe that a football game is a platform to celebrate our University, and we are working hard to provide opportunities to showcase our entire campus, as well as Cal Athletics, giving fans the chance to experience all that Cal has to offer."

Starting at Tailgate Town before entering the stadium, fans can enjoy a kids zone, free pregame concerts, student-athlete sport demonstrations and an enclosed beer garden. Fans can further enhance their experience through Blockparty, which provides premium pregame reserved tailgating packages to groups of all sizes with custom offerings. Tailgate Town opens three hours before kickoff for each home game and is held on Maxwell Family Field, directly north of California Memorial Stadium.

Once inside the gates, a number of improvements and new features will greet guests throughout the stadium. Among them are:

Sport and academic department demonstrations on Lisa and Douglas Goldman Plaza and throughout the stadium

An expanded Blue & Gold Zone on the concourse near the 50-yard line with a social media wall and team demonstrations. It remains open the entire game. The south end of the concourse will also feature a Lego wall. In addition, Instagrammable photo points will be stationed throughout the stadium.

Pillars throughout the concourse will feature new branding with stadium information and directional signage.

Cal student giveaways for every game, starting with a Cal t-shirt for the opener against North Carolina. Students are encouraged to come early and take home authentic Cal gear, including tank tops, socks and more.

For fans who sit on the sunny east side of Memorial Stadium, cooling misting stations will be out for warm days.

New cellphone charging stations will be available on the East Rim, in the Blue & Gold Zone and in the Guest Services area on the concourse.

A pregame photo scavenger hunt for cool Cal prizes. Watch @CalAthletics for more details as the season approaches.

Boba Tea and Evergood Sausages will be for sale at concession stands on the East Rim with more items to come during the year. Other items available elsewhere in the stadium include chicken wraps, quinoa bowls, street tacos and flavored popcorn. Click on the concession map for more food options.

Section J features new comfortable seating with every other row removed to provide fans with a tabletop to place their food and drinks. The feature proved so popular, it sold out before the start of the season and it may be expanded for 2019.

A bobblehead giveaway of The Play for 10,000 fans at the Big Game has already been announced with more giveaways to come during the season.

New and upgraded video ribbon boards near all four corners of the field.

The Victory Cannon on Tightwad Hill will continue to fire for every Cal score and at the end of the game. A new Cannon Call will fire 30 minutes prior to kickoff to let fans know the Cal Band pregame show is about to start.

Tickets the 2018 season are now on sale through CalBears.com/tickets or by calling (800) GO BEARS (462-3277) and pressing option 3.

The Golden Bears open the year hosing North Carolina at 1 p.m. on Sept. 1. Pac-12 play begins Sept. 29 vs. Oregon and additional home games include UCLA, Washington, Stanford and Colorado.

Discussion from...

New Features Coming to Memorial Stadium This Fall

19,748 Views | 53 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Cal89
82gradDLSdad
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Cal Strong! said:

Sausages make fans WEAK! Cal Strong no squat 400 lbs. five times and then go out for sausages. Cal Strong stick to lean proteins, healthy (mostly organic) vegetables, and fruit smoothies. This helps keep strong bears STRONG!

Cal Strong does strongly appreciate beer and stew with football. Save smoothies for halftime treat. So Cal Strong no opposed to special treats. But Cal Strong no so excited about sausages. Cal need more strong players, Strong coaches, and strong fans . . . fewer weak sausage mongers.

I'll keep this in mind next Saturday when I'm eating my two pre game top dogs. You're right, of course. I can barely make it up to my seat after the second top. Somehow I push through, probably similar to your last set of squats.
BearlyCareAnymore
Cal Strong! said:

Sausages make fans WEAK! Cal Strong no squat 400 lbs. five times and then go out for sausages. Cal Strong stick to lean proteins, healthy (mostly organic) vegetables, and fruit smoothies. This helps keep strong bears STRONG!

Cal Strong does strongly appreciate beer and stew with football. Save smoothies for halftime treat. So Cal Strong no opposed to special treats. But Cal Strong no so excited about sausages. Cal need more strong players, Strong coaches, and strong fans . . . fewer weak sausage mongers.

OaktownBear disagree. Smoothies and lean proteins good for players and coaches. Help them do job they need to do. Strong Cal FANS have different role. Must maximize surface area for body paint. Excess upper body weight helps to increase booming voice and extra body fat increase reverberation. No one like see fan with six pack dancing with shirt off. Fat guys dance with shirt off very strong. More blubber flying makes STRONG spectacle.

Strong Cal fans need to eat many sausages. Preferably dipped in batter and fried. If no beer at stadium go for non diet soda. Build proper body for fandom.

That's okay, Cal Strong. Different strokes for different folks. Healthy disagreement STRONG.
TomBear
I appreciate the effort. However, within the game itself.........all I want is Cal Band and Cal Spirit. Drop the 4 year olds doing "bear growls", stop drowning out Cal yells with piped in crap, and when play stops, Cal Band FIRST....THEN run the promos/b.s. etc. What they do before the game doesn't affect me at all because I have my pregame rituals and they won't be affected one bit by any of this.
Yogi58
OaktownBear said:

Cal Strong! said:

OaktownBear disagree. Smoothies and lean proteins good for players and coaches. Help them do job they need to do. Strong Cal FANS have different role. Must maximize surface area for body paint. Excess upper body weight helps to increase booming voice and extra body fat increase reverberation. No one like see fan with six pack dancing with shirt off. Fat guys dance with shirt off very strong. More blubber flying makes STRONG spectacle.

Strong Cal fans need to eat many sausages. Preferably dipped in batter and fried. If no beer at stadium go for non diet soda. Build proper body for fandom.

That's okay, Cal Strong. Different strokes for different folks. Healthy disagreement STRONG.
Damn. I didn't realize just how strong of a Cal fan I was.
Cal Strong!
Cal Strong avoid slow cookers his whole life. He thought it WEAK way to cook. Real cooks cook STRONG with gas stove or fire. But Wife Strong introduce Cal Strong to slow cooker this summer when we in Hawaii. Now Cal Strong like slow cookers. He make 25 dinners over past 2 days. Put them in strong gladlock freezer bags (hard to find in Egypt). Now when baby comes Cal Strong just throw freezer bag in slow cooker in the morning, set rice cooker on timer, and go to work. Come home and strong, healthy dinner ready for whole family.

Cal Strong support fellow bears who strong in shouting and fandom, strong in mind, strong in respect for women, and strong in charity . . . even if they not strong in diet or physical strength. But he strongly encourage such bears to try to cut down on cholesterol and maybe try doing pushups 3-4 days each week in the morning before jumping in shower. Strong bears got to start somewhere. Cal Strong here to help. He believe in you . . . like Cal!

Cal STRONG!!!!
calbear1994
Ca we wait to stop the bear growls until my 2 year old is big enough? Having a bigger than her Oski is an aspiration
Robocheme
TouchedTheAxeIn82 said:

How about wi-fi that actually works during the game? My T-Mobile data sucks, and the wi-fi is always overloaded. Good data connectivity / throughput would probably help student attendance.
Does Cal actually provide a wifi signal? I know in the past that my AT&T cellular signal sucked, but it's been OK recently. I never thought of seeing if there was a wifi signal.
MoragaBear
Staff
Yes, they're set up with AT&T. I have AT&T and have had no problem on the West Side but don't know how it's been on the East if you have anyone besides sucky TMobile.
philbert
the wifi signal at memorial and haas is terrible. so frustrating.
Cal Strong!
WEAK!

Get off phones. Watch game . . . like Cal!
oskidunker
it would cost millions to wire the stadium so 50 k could have good wigi. not going to happen. Bring a pocket radio. kgo very strong.
Go Bears!
CaliforniaEternal
philbert said:

the wifi signal at memorial and haas is terrible. so frustrating.
It's super obnoxious that the powers that be are so clueless about this. There is literally no way to text anyone once inside the stadium to share locations, etc. unless you have AT&T, which is a garbage provider for so many reasons. It's a basic issue that people would like to be able to communicate inside the stadium.
oskidunker
Do you want to pay for ir?
Go Bears!
TomBear
Not trying to pull this discussion in another direction but I was surprised and a bit amused to see even a slightly favorable nod to AT&T. Here in SoCal, Verizon is the provider with the best coverage. Sadly, I have Sprint, so I can't do anything at all once inside the stadium. Is AT&T a better service than Verizon once inside the stadium?
77Bear
I'm still hoping for a restroom building on the East side to replace the Porta-Potties.
Cal89
TomBear said:

Not trying to pull this discussion in another direction but I was surprised and a bit amused to see even a slightly favorable nod to AT&T. Here in SoCal, Verizon is the provider with the best coverage. Sadly, I have Sprint, so I can't do anything at all once inside the stadium. Is AT&T a better service than Verizon once inside the stadium?
Can't speak for or compare with Verizon, but AT&T has been solid inside CMS for me. Up in the hill out by the lake where we live, AT&T has the best reception. A better choice for me/us...
Sig test...
CaliforniaEternal
TomBear said:

Due to AT&T's sponsorship, they have an exclusive arrangement at CMS to put up signal boosters while the other companies don't. That's the only reason AT&T has better coverage at the stadium. Otherwise, around Berkeley and in the City Verizon has superior coverage from my experience.
HoopDreams
how much are these seats?
I like it!

Cal89
HoopDreams said:

how much are these seats?
I like it!

No price bump from last year... The ATO had to move some season ticket holders, so they made many calls earlier in the year. They called me too, as the plan was to do section JJ also, but in the end, just section J for this season.
Sig test...
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.