Let's Pick the Pac-12 Games: Week 1

3,605 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by HighlandDutch
UrsusTexicanus
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Time for a new season of proving once again why Cal is one of the greatest academic institutions ever by using our collective brain power to predict how the conference games will turn out. In other words, take your best SWAG, (Scientific Wild Azz Guess). On a personal note, my own prediction record is one of the reasons I never bet with real money. As before, home team is in italics.

Cal 7.5 over North Carolina: Tarheels, (what the hell is a Tarheel anyway?), may have a chip on their shoulder after last year's debacle. But Bears are at home and eager to get off to a good start. Cal to cover.

Colorado 7.5 over Colorado State: CSU couldn't stop what should have been a distracted Hawaii team. Ralphie bulldozes her way to covering the spread.

Furd 14.5 over San Diego State: Too much Love for the Aztecs. Furd covers. Shaw is still insufferable. Band still sucks. Maybe a dozen people fill the stands.

Ohio State 37 over River Rats: What coaching scandal? Random 12 year old is picked from the stands to lead tOSU. Rodents are still exterminated by halftime. tOSU covers.

Mildcats 11.5 over BYU: Missionaries have lost their faith. Kitties cover.

Spawn of Satan 18.5 over Texas San Antonio: Tempting to say this spread is a tad high, but taking Devil's Rejects to cover.

U$C 25.5 over UNLV: Toejams cover in a romp.

bRuins 16.5 over Cincinnati: Song stealers pick perfect opponent to start their season with false expectations. UCLA covers.

Auburn 2.5 over Mutts: This is one of my upset picks. Taking the curs to beat the spread for no other reason except desire to stick it to the SEC.

Rubber Duckies 31.5 over Bowling Green: Unfortunately, Quackers cover in a curb stomping.

Wazzoo 3 over Wyoming: Second upset pick. Taking Cowboys to rope the Cougars and beat the spread. Actually, that sounds a little kinky.

Mormon Marauders NL vs Weber State: Yes, I've read of the name change for Mormons, but "Members of the Church of Jesus Christ of the Latter-day Saints Marauders" just doesn't have the same ring to it, plus it takes too long to type.

wifeisafurd
UrsusTexicanus said:

Time for a new season of proving once again why Cal is one of the greatest academic institutions ever by using our collective brain power to predict how the conference games will turn out. In other words, take your best SWAG, (Scientific Wild Azz Guess). On a personal note, my own prediction record is one of the reasons I never bet with real money. As before, home team is in italics.

Cal 7.5 over North Carolina: Tarheels, (what the hell is a Tarheel anyway?), may have a chip on their shoulder after last year's debacle. But Bears are at home and eager to get off to a good start. Cal to cover.

Colorado 7.5 over Colorado State: CSU couldn't stop what should have been a distracted Hawaii team. Ralphie bulldozes her way to covering the spread.

Furd 14.5 over San Diego State: Too much Love for the Aztecs. Furd covers. Shaw is still insufferable. Band still sucks. Maybe a dozen people fill the stands.

Ohio State 37 over River Rats: What coaching scandal? Random 12 year old is picked from the stands to lead tOSU. Rodents are still exterminated by halftime. tOSU covers.

Spawn of Satan 18.5 over Texas San Antonio: Tempting to say this spread is a tad high, but taking Devil's Rejects to cover.

bRuins 16.5 over Cincinnati: Song stealers pick perfect opponent to start their season with false expectations. UCLA covers.

Auburn 2.5 over Mutts: This is one of my upset picks. Taking the curs to beat the spread for no other reason except desire to stick it to the SEC.

Rubber Duckies 31.5 over Bowling Green: Unfortunately, Quackers cover in a curb stomping.

Wazzoo 3 over Wyoming: Second upset pick. Taking Cowboys to rope the Cougars and beat the spread. Actually, that sounds a little kinky.

Mormon Marauders waiting until next week to start the season.

Nice to see this post - football finally has arrived. Essentially broke even last year with an end of season slump. So these picks clearly reflect SWAG except for the Cal game, which is SWAK, K standing for Kool Aid.

Bears
Buffs ( better than Hawaii)
Furd (this is a revenge game for the 12 fans that show on Friday night)
TOSU (this depends on when TOSU puts in the back-ups)
BYU (takes time for new coaching staff to get players on the same page - so BYU covers)
ASU (a guess)
USC (beats-up a weak UNLV team)
UCLA (beats-up a weak UC team)
Auburn (Should be a good game, and Udub on paper looks like the better team. However, Udub under Petersen isn't that great away)
Ducks (depends on when they put in the reserves).
Wyoming (two teams replacing good QBs - Wyoming's good defense carries the day, barely)

7-4 : lost all the Cali games except Furd.
tydog
Teams that will cover:
- Cal - UNC comes out playing dirty after how last year's game ended, but our D dominates
- Colorado
- SDSU -
- ORegon St - lots of bad juju at OSU. They win easily but not by 37.
- Arizona
- UTSA
- UNLV - it takes a while for USC's new QB to get going
- UCLA - Chip tries to run up the score in his first game
- Bowling Green
- Wyoming
- Utah
FloriDreaming
UrsusTexicanus said:

Mormon Marauders waiting until next week to start the season.

UNC
CU
Furd
Ohio St.
BYU
UTSA
USC
UCLA
UW
Oregon
Wyoming
UrsusTexicanus
Updated to include Utah. I overlooked they're playing an FCS team.
BearSD
Against the spread --- Straight up

Cal --- Cal
Colorado --- Colorado
SDSU --- LSJU
Ohio St --- Ohio St
Arizona --- Arizona
UTSA --- ASU
usc --- usc
Cincy --- ucla
UW --- UW
BG --- Orygun
Wazzu --- Wazzu
no line --- UU
joe amos yaks
Cal beats sticky TarHeels (Civil War nickname for the Confederate State~~yada-yada). Cal covers.
Buffs out-butt the Rams and cover.
Farm beats Aztecs, but SDStu beats spread.
tOSu beats the Tail-flappers, but the surprising Beav's beat the spread.
uA beats the bald guys, and 'Cats cover.
ASu beats uTxSA. Roadrunners beat the spread.
$uSC beat uNLV. Rebs beat the spread.
Ucla beats uCin. Bearcats beat the spread.
Dawgs win.
Ducks beat BGu. The Judge beats the spread.
Cowguys beat Cougs and the spread.
Wildcats upset uU.
"Those who say don't know, and those who know don't say." - LT
HighlandDutch
Cal
CU
SDSU
Oregon State
Arizona
Arizona St.
USC
Cinci
Auburn
Oregon
Wyoming
chalcidbear
Last year I finished well below .500, but I'm always game for more. So for week 1:

NC @ Cal: I may not be as optimistic for the Bears in 2018 as some other posters, but I really like our chances at starting out the year at home, so I'm betting on the Bears.

Colorado State @ Colorado: Not sure how good the Buffs will be in 2018, but I think Colorado is good enough to cover the spread at home.
chalcidbear
Shoot, somehow I truncated my original reply. So to continue:

San Diego State @ Stanford: Furd easy.

OSU @ THE OSU: I think the Beavers will get run over, around and through by the Buckeyes, coaching scandal or not.

BYU @ Arizona: Not sure about BYU, but I think the Wildcats will be a force to be reckoned with, so I'd say Arizona easily covers at home.

Texas San Antone @ ASU: The spread may be a bit on the high side, but once again I'll tip my hat to the Sun Devils for them to cover.

UNLV @ USC: The Trojans may be settling in a new QB, but I think the rest of the team is solid enough for USC to whup the Rebels and cover.

Cincinatti @ UCLA: Taking a big guess here, but Chip Kelly does surprise people, so I think the Bruins will cover.

Washington @ Auburn: I'm going once again with the home team, so I'm betting on Auburn.

Bowling Green @ Oregon: I probably think higher about Oregon than others on this board, and although I know nothing about Bowling Green, my money is in the Ducks.

WSU @ Wyoming: I think the pirate is good enough to get the Cougs past this first challenge.
BerlinerBaer
Cal
CU
Trees
Organ State
Zona
ASU
$C
UCLA
Auburn
Zeros
Wyoming
Weber State +45 rule
heartofthebear
Only teams that cover are:
FURD
USC
OREGON
ARIZONA and
AUBURN

Teams that win but do not cover:
CAL
COLORADO
OHIO ST.
ASU and
UCLA

Wyoming upsets WSU

Remember, WSU always lays an egg to start the season. But WSU isn't even good this year. So they might lay several eggs. Don't know much about Wyoming other than they lost their first round QB to the NFL. But Wyoming is an improving program and gets to play at home.

UCLA will barely beat Cincinnati.
Auburn will beat Washington by 3.
OSU v. OSU will be closer than folks think.
SDSU doesn't play nearly as well on the road.
Cal wins ugly late after UNC mistakes.
Watch out for Oregon this year---North division dark horse.
I don't think Colorado is any good this year and CSU isn't as bad as last week, but the Buffs are at home and eeck out a win.

Mikeman
Not Pac 12, but Aggies 27 SJS 24
Mikeman
14-14 1st quarter
Mikeman
3rd quarter UCD 37 SJS 21
Mikeman
44-38 Ags!
Yogi58
UrsusTexicanus said:

Time for a new season of proving once again why Cal is one of the greatest academic institutions ever by using our collective brain power to predict how the conference games will turn out.
drunkoski has a forwarding address where you can send him the royalties for originating this exercise.
UrsusTexicanus
Yogi Bear said:

UrsusTexicanus said:

Time for a new season of proving once again why Cal is one of the greatest academic institutions ever by using our collective brain power to predict how the conference games will turn out.
drunkoski has a forwarding address where you can send him the royalties for originating this exercise.
I'll send him a percentage of my winning bets.
I did ask his permission to continue after he said his heart just wasn't in it any longer.
HighlandDutch
UrsusTexicanus said:

Yogi Bear said:

UrsusTexicanus said:

I'll send him a percentage of my winning bets.
I did ask his permission to continue after he said his heart just wasn't in it any longer.
Good idea. Can I send him a bill for a similar percentage of my losing bets?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.