6-0 vs Power 5 OOC opponents since Ohio State

4,414 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by TouchedTheAxeIn82
okaydo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
5 years since the last Power 5 OOC loss.
BerlinerBaer
Sweeping Texas felt and will always feel damn good.
hotlanta
Holmoe swept Oklahoma. Timing is everything with OOC opponents.
PtownBear1
We lost to Northwestern in Dyke's first year. That was the game where they kept faking injuries. In any event, 5 game streak seems likely to end next week
CalAlumnus13
PtownBear1 said:

We lost to Northwestern in Dyke's first year. That was the game where they kept faking injuries. In any event, 5 game streak seems likely to end next week
BYU isn't a P5 opponent, so we're good.
FloriDreaming
And during that win streak exactly one winning season. Cal has gotten good at finding P5 patsies.
FloriDreaming
PtownBear1 said:

Yes and later lost to Ohio St. after that 6 wins.
PtownBear1
My mistake, thought the Ohio State home and home ended in 2012. I guess my attempt to block out memories of 2012 and 2013 is working...
wifeisafurd
Yet Cal has done poorly in conference even beating some historically good OOC programs. The Pac may be sucking at basketball, but definitely has upgraded in football.
okaydo
For those with short-term memories, the 6 wins are:

2014: @Northwestern
2015: @Texas
2016: vs. Texas
2017: @North Carolina
2017: vs. Ole Miss
2018: vs. North Carolina.

If I were to rank them, I'd say 2015 Texas is No. 1 and Ole Miss is No. 2.

2 of the 6 wins are first-time head coaching wins (not counting cupcake patsy wins).

3 road wins, 3 home wins
Nasal Mucus Goldenbear
I'll be rooting hard for the Ole Miss Rebs this season and the next, so that a victory in next year's game at Oxford will actually elevate the program's reputation, as opposed to the negligible good from the past 6 ooc Ws. After that, it's an ooc snoozefest until 2023 (Auburn), so Cal will have to seek glory elsewhere by being a serious conference contender late into seasons.
Strykur
Nasal Mucus Goldenbear said:

I'll be rooting hard for the Ole Miss Rebs this season and the next, so that a victory in next year's game at Oxford will actually elevate the program's reputation, as opposed to the negligible good from the past 6 ooc Ws. After that, it's an ooc snoozefest until 2023 (Auburn), so Cal will have to seek glory elsewhere by being a serious conference contender late into seasons.
The Texas wins were sweet and still will be 10 years from now.
bear2034
Uthaithani said:

And during that win streak exactly one winning season. Cal has gotten good at finding P5 patsies.
Better than the SEC, they're good at finding non-power pasties.
txwharfrat
okaydo said:

2 of the 6 wins are first-time head coaching wins (not counting cupcake patsy wins).

3 road wins, 3 home wins
That 2015 Texas game was something else! What a great game! We got to see Stephen Anderson's only dropped pass of his career...
FloriDreaming
okaydo said:

3 road wins, 3 home wins
Cal's win over SDSU at home was a bigger win than any of these P5 wins. And Cal's bowl win would rank above most of these. It goes to show that it's not the conference it's the team.

But from a pure psychological standpoint, the 2015 win over Texas was the sweetest - on the road and under strange and heartbreaking circumstances (for Texas), but only because it made Texas feel bad.
BearEatsTacos
BerlinerBaer said:

Sweeping Texas felt and will always feel damn good.
The only part of the Dykes years that I will always cherish and fondly reminisce upon...
okaydo
Uthaithani said:

okaydo said:

3 road wins, 3 home wins
Cal's win over SDSU at home was a bigger win than any of these P5 wins. And Cal's bowl win would rank above most of these. It goes to show that it's not the conference it's the team.

But from a pure psychological standpoint, the 2015 win over Texas was the sweetest - on the road and under strange and heartbreaking circumstances (for Texas), but only because it made Texas feel bad.

San Diego State and Air Force being bigger wins!?!!?!!?! What?

You must have this hanging in your living room:

okaydo
okaydo
USC's last victory in Austin: 1966.
Cal's last victory in Austin: 2015.

TheFiatLux
txwharfrat said:

That 2015 Texas game was something else! What a great game! We got to see Stephen Anderson's only dropped pass of his career...
By the way, a great mom moment happened right after that game and it's the sort of parenting that you know leads to great kids becoming great adults.

After the final gun, the team was headed over to the (quite large) Cal rooting section. Charlene Anderson, Stephen's mom and herself a Cal grad, was sitting next to me that game. She saw Stephen out there sort of moping (because of said dropped pass) as he headed over and she screamed to him (and trust me you could hear her over everyone). "GET THAT SORRY SAD FROWN OFF YOUR FACE AND HOLD YOUR HEAD UP HIGH! YOU GOT NOTHING TO BE ASHAMED OF! YOUR TEAM JUST WON AND YOU'RE GOING TO ENJOY IT WITH THEM!!!!"

Simply bad-ass.
burritos
I'll bet USC would love to be in the position of sweeping Texass(and they weren't even ranked when they got toasted).
TouchedTheAxeIn82
oskirules said:

Uthaithani said:

Better than the SEC, they're good at finding non-power pasties.

I'm a fan of powered pasties myself.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.