Torture

3,347 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by wifeisafurd
JSC 76
How long do you want to ignore this user?
That was the weirdest freaking game.

The first quarter I thought there was no way we could win this game. The defense was giving up yards in the air and on the ground. the offense was utterly feckless.

But then look at that...3 and out. And 3 and out. And 3 and out.

But maybe we can keep BYU in the game by coughing up the ball 3 times! And committing really stupid penalties!

And it comes down to another freaking onside kick!!

I can't take much more.
bear2034
I'll take this over games where it's over for us by halftime. See the Dykes era.

calgldnbear
oskirules said:

I'll take this over games where it's over for us by halftime. See the Dykes era.

Or the end of the Tedford era .... I love Jeff Tedford but he needed to take a step back and get healthy
bear2034
calgldnbear said:

oskirules said:

Or the end of the Tedford era .... I love Jeff Tedford but he needed to take a step back and get healthy
Good thing he did. He almost beat Minnesota today on the road, a superb defensive play saved the Gophers at the end.
Yogi58
oskirules said:

calgldnbear said:

oskirules said:

Good thing he did. He almost beat Minnesota today on the road, a superb defensive play saved the Gophers at the end.
In other words, he lost.
bear2034
Yogi Bear said:

oskirules said:

calgldnbear said:

oskirules said:

In other words, he lost.
Fresno St. lost and was expected to but almost pulled it off.
UCBerkGrad
calgldnbear said:

oskirules said:

Or most eras for Cal
joe amos yaks
There will be many that don't come down to an onside kick.
"Those who say don't know, and those who know don't say." - LT
heartofthebear
joe amos yaks said:

There will be many that don't come down to an onside kick.
R U Nostradamus?
westcoast101
Sitting in that stadium and hearing how loud it was on those opening drives, I thought we weren't scoring an offensive TD all game.
PtownBear1
oskirules said:

The Dykes games were rarely over until the end because of the quick scoring offense and lack of defense. The perfect example is that 2014 or 2015 SC game when it looked like it was over in the first quarter and it ended up competitive in the end. Then we had games like against Texas and AZ where we led big and let them come back.

The last 2 games have been very similar to the Dykes era if you swap offense with defense.
sp4149
In most seasons this was a game that the Bears would lose. Two big plays, a fumble for a quick touchdown when BYU was being dominated by Cal's defense and another fumble in Cal territory after a great series by Cal's defense. Either would have been a back breaker in most seasons. Truly remarkable that the team didn't quit and won.

Imagine what the result would have been without the two fumbles and if they had converted that late fourth down at the BYU 20. Probably for the best to be tested while still winning. Building confidence while still showing the need to improve. Wilcox just about said the same.

Weaver has to be the biggest individual surprise, especially after Goode's injury.

Torture, nothing new to Bay Area fans, especially this decade which started with three World Series rings by Giants teams that just did whatever helped them to win. Even the last team, with Bumgarner at his finest in the World Series did not have a great season, but they hung together and played their best in the post-season. The Giants were pure torture to watch those years. Even the Warriors who have been fantastic of late, are a team that tortures their fans at times, maybe more so in the playoffs. Sports torture, it's a Bay Area thing.
Another Bear
Wilcox, the staff and team adjusts very well after the half. This is good coaching. That's what I saw yesterday again. Saw it last season but it was the first season. Now it's more entrenched. Good stuff.
RichyBear
I don't mind torture during the game if I can smile at the end, like the last 2 weeks. Though I would prefer a laughter by us.
HoopDreams
We are getting a lot of practice with onside kicks

But one thing about UNC ... their kicker had it down perfect
bear2034
PtownBear1 said:

oskirules said:

The Dykes games were rarely over until the end because of the quick scoring offense and lack of defense. The perfect example is that 2014 or 2015 SC game when it looked like it was over in the first quarter and it ended up competitive in the end. Then we had games like against Texas and AZ where we led big and let them come back.

The last 2 games have been very similar to the Dykes era if you swap offense with defense.
Somehow, I remember road games against Oregon and USC that were pretty much over by halftime where we just never came back.
GivemTheAxe
oskirules said:

Yogi Bear said:

oskirules said:

calgldnbear said:

oskirules said:

In other words, he lost.
Fresno St. lost and was expected to but almost pulled it off.

That's what my wife always says. When I explain that Cal played much better than expected and Cal almost won.
All that really matters is who won.
wifeisafurd
JSC 76 said:

That was the weirdest freaking game.

The first quarter I thought there was no way we could win this game. The defense was giving up yards in the air and on the ground. the offense was utterly feckless.

But then look at that...3 and out. And 3 and out. And 3 and out.

But maybe we can keep BYU in the game by coughing up the ball 3 times! And committing really stupid penalties!

And it comes down to another freaking onside kick!!

I can't take much more.
I'm not a fan of turtle football, whether run by Cal of Furd yesterday.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.