Parking Recommendation for Kids

1,881 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by KoreAmBear
20november1982
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I know this is a booth but apologies as I can't find the old thread on this. I'm trying to take my kids to their first Cal game, ages seven and four. We're coming from Walnut Creek. The walk up from Shattuck BART will pretty much ruin the day. Driving is preferable but I have actually never drove to a game before and have no idea what the parking options are like relatively close to the stadium for two kids to walk to. I know there are some lots out there which bear fans prefer not to reveal the location of as they are hidden parking secrets. You don't have to reveal those, but any suggestions on where to park would be greatly appreciated. Hoping the crowds next week will be more manageable for this type of venture compared to an in conference game. Thanks a lot.
Richmondbear2
Take the free shuttle bus from downtown BART to the stadium. It leaves kittycorner from bart at Center and Shattuck in front of the old bank of America branch, now an under construction bldg.
Will drop you off at the Greek Theater. After the game you can catch the return bus on Bancroft just below I House
Pregame they run every 5-10 minutes.
HighlandDutch
It's been a long time since I didn't have parking with my season tickets, so I can't be much help on that front. My guess is you'd have to arrive earlier than you'd like to get a parking spot close enough to the stadium that you don't have a day-ruining long walk. Maybe parking at one of the fraternities would be an option, if you don't mind turning over your keys to one of the pledges. (No thanks.)

Another option would be to take BART to the downtown Berkeley station and take the shuttle from there. Here's the write-up from Calbears.com:

Shuttle Information
Free gameday shuttles will be available from the Downtown Berkeley BART Station only*. The shuttle pick up location is located on Shattuck Avenue in front of Bank of America building and will drop patrons at the Greek Theater. Postgame shuttles will originate on Bancroft Avenue and return patrons to the Downtown Berkeley BART station.
* There are no dedicated gameday shuttles running from Rockridge BART this season (See AC Transit)

https://calbears.com/sports/2014/8/21/209612370.aspx?id=4652

You might consider taking the shuttle to the game, then walking back...it's downhill, and by then the kids probably have a sufficient amount of sugar in them that they'll be able to handle the walk.

Good luck!
Big C
Different possibility: Do both of the kids have scooters or balance bikes? Maybe you could carry those on BART, then the kids ride them most of the way to the stadium? Too much uphill will probably make them want to stop, but maybe you could get as far as the Campanile and lock them up there to a bike rail. The walk, at that point, would be minimal and maybe you could even carry the younger one part way. Just a thought.

If you have any tips for keeping them in their seats during the game, let me know! My kids are 9 and 6. The older one (boy) can pretty much sit through a game now, but the younger one (girl), no way.

Good luck and Go Bears!
BearsWiin
The parking garage between Durant and Channing just west of Telegraph never got full last Saturday. We parked there at about 10:45 for the 1pm game, parked on the roof, and when we got to our car mid-afternoon there were still many empty spots up top. It's still several blocks downhill from the stadium, but it's close to several apparel shops where you can buy them souvenirs, and Sproul Plaza where the kids might like the pregame rally. Then you can walk up to the stadium through campus with the Band. Not strenuous, since the Band takes its own sweet time.
Another Bear
I think most lots require a parking pass or single day permit, at least the ones close to the stadium. I'd call the Cal ticket office and ask which is closest or suitable for the trip and how to buy one.

Otherwise, I second the shuttle...but perhaps with two parents/grown ups will make it easier.
smh
Richmondbear2 said:

Take the free shuttle bus from downtown BART to the stadium. It leaves kitty corner from bart at Center and Shattuck in front of the old bank of America branch, now an under construction bldg.
Will drop you off at the Greek Theater. After the game you can catch the return bus on Bancroft just below I House
Pregame they run every 5-10 minutes.
^^^ like, thanks alot RB2.

i'm coming from the south bay, first-timer on bart gamedays. wanna be on campus early enough for CalBandGreat pregame concert on Sproul Plaza, then stay after for 'win the game or know the reason why' post-game CBG reprise, then march off into the sunset.

no worries with a midafternoon kickoff, unlike bart closing too soon after late evening events. and doubt trains will be too crowded (absent A's game) in spite of an afternoon festival in OracleA..
Quote:

The World's largest hip-hop festival, Rolling Loud has announced Round 2 for their Bay Area edition! After selling out their first festival in the Bay Area last year, Tariq Cherif and Matt Zingler are coming back for more and they're promising even more artists than last time.

The festival will be held at Oakland Coliseum Grounds on September 15th and 16th. [starts 1pm]
muting ~250 handles, turnaround is fair play
KoreAmBear
If you really don't want to walk much park at one of the frats. They'll charge you $50 but heck if you consider would you would pay for BART and park and ride for family, it's not that much more. You would save a lot of time.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.